• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2009
    The ship was probably made in China.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    The ship was probably made in China.

biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    The music clip, that was released on the old Avatar home page:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY8BeKoK3dk

Is actually not just an early demo, but the beginning of the second track "Jack enters his avatar world".
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009
    Just stumpled upon this by accident: You can listen to the entire Avatar album on MusicMe.com... sounds pretty good to me smile
  1. THANKS!!

Listening!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Appearently you have to be registered or something, otherwise you can't listen to it. The site is also in another language.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Appearently you have to be registered or something, otherwise you can't listen to it. The site is also in another language.

Goddamn French!

You don't have to be registered. Just click on the play button beside the track that you want to play and it will open in the player on the right hand side. If this isn't working for you in Firefox... it didn't for me... then use IE.

Da Da Da Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Using I.E., clicking on the play button beside each track brought up a box that appearently you have to sign in. Nothing loaded and nothing played.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You could always, I dunno, wait for the album?
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Appearently you have to be registered or something, otherwise you can't listen to it. The site is also in another language.

Goddamn French!

You don't have to be registered. Just click on the play button beside the track that you want to play and it will open in the player on the right hand side. If this isn't working for you in Firefox... it didn't for me... then use IE.

Da Da Da Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

-Erik-

It worked for me in Firefox. I am on War right now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Yeah, I have registered, but I don't think it's necessary. But I will like to say that the volume on this recording is pretty low, so hopefully it's better on the cd. But now I can sleep a little better until the 15th, knowing that Mr. Horner has prevailed smile
  5. Steven wrote
    You could always, I dunno, wait for the album?

No blind buys from me, period. Especially from later-career Horner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Doesn't work for me either. Neither in IE nor in FireFox. Same problem as Justin's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    I will check this when I get back home. Are you folks able to play the full tracks or the 30 sec samples?
    I thought MusicMe allowed playing full tracks only if you are from France. I used to get around that with a French proxy but that doesn't work anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't know if it's just me but I find it extremely ironic that James Horner rips on the music in Michael Bay films yet comes up with a very Zimmerish sounding score for Avatar. There are Hornerism's in this score for sure... for instance that bird like flute call ripped from Project X and of course the dreaded 4 note danger motif is there as well... but if I didn't know who the composer of this score was I would say that this was from Zimmer or one of his boys! Basic, low horn power themes, simplistic love theme (which is nice actually in "Becoming One Of The People, Becoming One With Neytiri" - very hypnotic) and ethnic percussion which could be out of any one of Zimmer's African inspired scores. It's more like a Horner visits Hans Zimmer. Horner voice is in there but I can't help but be a bit turned off by the basic Zimmeresque structure given to the themes.

Anyway, I'm half way through the album and that's the impression I'm left with... so far. Nothing really special... and I have heard the "War" track which isn't much to write home about either.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's in French but with the English translation underneath. But apparently you can only stream it if you are in France. Is everyone using proxys?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    It's in French but with the English translation underneath. But apparently you can only stream it if you are in France. Is everyone using proxys?

Nope. Not using a proxy here in Canada.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Hmm, oh well. Guess I'll just wait for the CD.
  6. After that sum up, I personally will pass. After he admitted to working 15-hour work days for about six months, been working on hte score over a year ... this is what he comes up with? For what ever reason, last year I thought he was going to pull something special out of his old bag of tricks. Instead he just gave us the old bag. And part of it aped from Zimmer's bag.
  7. Same thoughts here. This score DOES sound A LOT like Hans Zimmer, which means that either Zimmer or Horner must be re-evaluated. Of course, this will go against Zimmer, because he is the genre fanbase's scapegoat and his influence (this time positive) will not be accepted, because why should it. Self-taught, electronic-based composer who is the first to actually credit ghostwriting...
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Ok, I can't hear anything Zimmer about this score! This is ALL Horner, if you ask me. I'm not saying it is original - much of the chorus reminds me of the Adiemus albums by Karl Jenkins - but the overall style is absolutely Horner's, and not Zimmer or anybody else... in my oppinion. smile
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Artworks wrote
    Just stumpled upon this by accident: You can listen to the entire Avatar album on MusicMe.com... sounds pretty good to me smile

Thank you. Listening to the first cue now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I haven't heard it, thanks Erik for the sum up. GOes to say something about the status of Zimmer, his music and his influence on the industry, which many still refuse to date.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    I love the percussions in the first cue. Thank you James Horner!
  8. I pity the fool who will deny Zimmer's influence. The only contentious issue is whether it's been a terribly good thing.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    No one will deny Zimmer's influence. The only contentious issue is whether it's been a terribly good thing.

Well, not really, i remember discussions in the past where i was asked to provide specific examples where Zimmer influenced the industry withh TTRL, Gladiator or Blackhawk down for instance. Well, it's everywhere, even in the 'greats', evidently. He has shaped the entire film music sound of the last 10-15 years.
  9. I've revised my statement.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Same thoughts here. This score DOES sound A LOT like Hans Zimmer, which means that either Zimmer or Horner must be re-evaluated. Of course, this will go against Zimmer, because he is the genre fanbase's scapegoat and his influence (this time positive) will not be accepted, because why should it. Self-taught, electronic-based composer who is the first to actually credit ghostwriting...

Well, put these two scapegoats together, Horner and Zimmer, and you have the most talked about score in the history of film music. Hooray for Hollywood!

The production of this score is stunning. Sparkling clean.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    No one will deny Zimmer's influence. The only contentious issue is whether it's been a terribly good thing.

Well, not really, i remember discussions in the past where i was asked to provide specific examples where Zimmer influenced the industry withh TTRL, Gladiator or Blackhawk down for instance. Well, it's everywhere, even in the 'greats', evidently. He has shaped the entire film music sound of the last 10-15 years.

Not the "entire sound" (there aren't really many major scores by non-RC people which actually sound like Zimmer), but nobody could seriously deny his influence in terms of working practice, composing-by-committee, scoring at the surface rather than underneath, and there are certainly some examples of scores by major composers which owe him a debt.

I didn't notice any sign of a Zimmer influence in the Avatar clips I heard so I'm surprised by this. Given his recent comments about film scoring (fairly obviously aimed in Zimmer's direction), Horner was about the last person I thought would pick up on his style.
  10. Well, he did.