• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. PawelStroinski wrote
    It's still alive? That site? Didn't they have some problems?

Being obssessed with Horner appears to be their only problem.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Surprised to see that one still up. I hadn't visited it in years. shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2011
    INTRADA presents:

48 HRS.
    Composed and Conducted by James Horner
    Songs by The Busboys
    INTRADA Special Collection Volume 155

Intrada presents the premiere release of the soundtrack to the 1982 Paramount film 48 Hrs, featuring one of composer James Horner’s most sought after works. Although the film is sparingly spotted, when Horner does enter the fray it is with broad, bold strokes that anchor the action and emotions—especially for the unquiet atmosphere of the mean streets and back alleys of San Francisco. While Horner uses a large orchestra, complimented by extra percussion and keyboards, Horner does not use trumpets and French horns, leaving only trombones and tuba to carry the weight of the brass. In addition, he keeps them in their lower registers and has them almost exclusively playing in unison or octaves. The resulting low brass timbre is thick, dark-edged and punchy throughout. It's an eclectic ensemble—a progressive fusion of funk-tinged jazz and orchestral elements. The many-layered theme, as first heard in “Main Title,” immediately lays down a gritty urban tone using bass guitar and scattered percussion, with subtle accents provided by piano, harmonica and electronics.

James Horner contributed just under a half hour of orchestral scoring. The other primary musical ingredient in the picture was a quartet of original songs, supervised by Ira Newborn. Three of these were written by Brian O’Neal, one was written by Kevin O’Neal and all four were performed by The BusBoys. For their work on 48 Hrs., James Horner and The BusBoys jointly won the “Best Music/Score” award from the Los Angeles Film Critics Association. It is therefore fitting that the songs appear alongside the score on this release.

48 Hrs. stars Nick Nolte as the gravel-voiced, rough-edged San Francisco cop Jack Cates; and Eddie Murphy as streetwise con Reggie Hammond, whose link to an escaped cop-killer inspires Cates to spring him from the pen for a 48-hour manhunt. Naturally, the pair dislikes and mistrusts one another, and their verbal and physical back-and-forth—even as a fraternal bond slowly forms—supplies the brunt of the story’s appeal.

This release is limited to 5000 units.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 155
    Retail Price: $19.99
    AVAILABLE NOW
    For track listing and sound samples, please visit
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6885/.f
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Since someone at Intrada said this was like Gorky Park (which I like a lot), I ordered it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Hearing all these sort of scores by him in the past few years (big fan of Gorky Park too), I'm so happy that practically my first awareness of Horner was the two Jack Ryan films. He really perfectionized this sound in the Ambush track in Clear and Present Danger.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cool!

This has been a fan favourite for ages, and I'm happy to see it released. While it seems to be a C&C presentation, it's probably short enough to stand on its own feet anyway.

The score is pretty cool. Those marimbas, for example, are totally out of the blue in a more gritty jazz environment. Very cool orchestration. There is also less in form of themes, but more in terms of textures.

The suspense cues aren't really my cuppa tea, though.

It seems to be a very unique score in Horner's oeuvre.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Probably not one I'll be getting.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. The second score of the series is shockingly good, but I listened to the bootleg and I hated it. Pass.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2011
    With "48 hours" right around the corner (and "another 48 hours" probably following soon... ?) there is even another re-release of an older James Horner composition coming from Kritzerland music:

Gorky Park.

Great!

Keep them coming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011 edited
  5. Antineutrino wrote
    New project for James Horner

Cristiada

http://www.asturscore.com/horner-musica-a-cristiada/
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1566501/

oooh, a serious The Mask of Zorro perhaps smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011
    Kritzerland is proud to present a new limited edition soundtrack release:

GORKY PARK
    Music Composed and Conducted by James Horner

Based on the 1981 novel by Martin Cruz Smith, the 1983 film adaptation of Gorky Park was a suspenseful, exciting thriller with an expert cast, including William Hurt, Lee Marvin, Ian Bannen, Brian Dennehy, Joanna Pacula, and Richard Griffiths. The screenplay was by Dennis Potter, and the director was Michael Apted.

The New York Times called the film “a taut, clever thriller throughout, with Mr. Apted’s direction establishing its intensity immediately and sustaining it well. Ralf G. Bode’s cinematography and James Horner’s score go a long way toward setting a hauntingly bleak mood, and the supporting players, particularly Brian Dennehy and Ian Bannen, are excellent.” The film’s screenplay won an Edgar Allen Poe award, and Pacula was nominated for a Golden Globe.

James Horner’s score is really integral to the film, helping establish its various moods and characters, and really notching up the tension and romance. It has some of Horner’s best themes, including a stunning one for Irina, the character played by Joanna Pacula. By 1983, Horner had only been writing film scores for five years, but he’d already built up a substantial body of work and was considered to be one of the best of the up-and-comers of that generation, thanks to his terrific work on films in every kind of genre, including Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, 48 Hrs, Wolfen, Deadly Blessing, The Hand, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Krull, The Dresser, Testament, Brainstorm, among others.

He would, of course, go on to be one of the most successful film composers in history, turning out scores for both blockbusters and more intimate films such as Cocoon, Uncommon Valor, The Journey of Natty Gann, Commando, An American Tail, Willow, Field of Dreams, Honey, I Shrunk The Kids, Glory, The Rocketeer, Aliens, Braveheart, Apollo 13, The Mask of Zorro, as well as his scores for two of the most successful films ever made, James Cameron’s Titanic and Avatar – and that doesn’t even scratch the surface. Horner is both an Oscar and Grammy Award-winner.

Gorky Park was originally released on LP and CD by Varese Sarabande. For this release, we have completely remastered the sound and offer two presentations of the score – the first in film order, and the second in album order, two very different listening experiences. While there are a handful of additional cues in the film, most of them are very brief and are mostly reiterations of the cues that were assembled for the soundtrack album by Horner himself.

So, here is James Horner’s great score for Gorky Park, one of his finest from an especially rich time in his scoring career. It’s everything a thriller score should be – and more.

This release is limited to 1000 copies only. The price of the CD is $19.98, plus shipping. Additionally, we are offering a special deal with the purchase of this release. Go to the item page and click on the link to find out about it.

CD will ship the first week of March – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early). To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. I gave it 3 stars once (the Varese release)

but I don't remember a thing of it
  7. This is a James Horner score that I've never heard all the way through. But listening to the clips I'm definitely interested in this one.

I just wanted to mention however, does anyone remember when, in the liner notes of an album produced for listening experience rather than film order, the correct film order was listed in the notes for anyone who wanted to reorganise them? Kritzerland could have saved themselves a few minutes in the production of this CD by choosing to do one version or the other.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I gave it 3 stars once (the Varese release)

Is that your definition of a 3-star score? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm not sure, but I think I owned GORKY PARK once. Didn't like it much, as I'm not too hot on his thriller scores. But nice to see Kritzerland branch out into a composer and territory they're not previously known for.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

Cristiada

oooh, a serious The Mask of Zorro perhaps smile

Or a Mexican-inspired Legends of the Fall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Or... an original score that sounds nothing like the scores you guys have mentioned above. That's not too much to ask, is it?

-Erik-
  10. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I gave it 3 stars once (the Varese release)

Is that your definition of a 3-star score? wink

hehe, no. It's just that time makes me forget how some things sounded like smile
  11. Erik Woods wrote
    Or... an original score that sounds nothing like the scores you guys have mentioned above. That's not too much to ask, is it?

-Erik-

With Horner?

Nah wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

yeah applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. Antineutrino wrote

Cristiada

Four note Danger Motif on spanish guitar?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  13. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

A score that sounds NOTHING like a previous score Horner composed? Yes, that is too much to ask. Of Horner, or any other composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011
    That's not what I said. A Mexican-inspired Legend of the Fall to Horner means playing "The Ludlows" on Spanish guitar with Mask of Zorro inspired castanets and tapping feet. sleep

-Erik-
  14. Hey, "The Ludlows" is one of his best compositions...it'd be interesting hearing that on a guitar. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011
    james horner

no he's actually scoring something new smile

James Horner scoring ‘Cristiada

According to AsturScore, James Horner is scoring the upcoming historical drama Cristiada. Horner’s involvement has been confirmed to the site by the film’s production company NewLand Films and the assignment has also been reported on the film’s official Facebook page. The movie chronicles the Cristeros War (1926-1929), which was touched off by a rebellion against the Mexican government’s attempt to secularize the country.

http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/ … cristiada/
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  15. Erik Woods wrote
    That's not what I said. A Mexican-inspired Legend of the Fall to Horner means playing "The Ludlows" on Spanish guitar with Mask of Zorro inspired castanets and tapping feet. sleep

-Erik-

it's just that the first score that popped into my head was The Mask of Zorro, because the premise stated Mexican .... Of course I know we'll get anything but a Mask of Zorro sound wink
  16. I would hope so, since it sounds much more serious than some silly man in a mask cutting Z's on people's garments. rolleyes
  17. ...too bad.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2011
    And here we go:
    http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm?cdID=467

"The Homecoming" and "Rascals and Robbers" by J. Goldsmith and J. Horner... sweet!