• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2011
    Again.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2011
    James Horner
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Four note danger motif.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Composer James Horner and editor Terry Rawlings will receive the top recognition of Festival Honors at the eDIT 14 Filmmakers Festival, Oct. 30-Nov. 1 in Frankfurt, Germany.

Academy Award-winner James Horner has composed the music for more than 100 films, including Titanic, Braveheart, Aliens, The Name of the Rose, Apocalypto and Avatar. With Titanic, he earned two Academy Awards, one for best original score and another for "My Heart Will Go On" as best original song.

Rawlings was nominated for an Academy Award for his work on Chariots of Fire. His credits also include The Duelist, Blade Runner, Alien, Yentl , Alien 3, Watership Down, and Joel Schumacher’s adaptation of Phantom of the Opera.

During the Filmmakers Festival, director of photography Pawel Edelman will receive an honorary Award from IMAGO, the European Cinematographers Federation.

Edelman earned an Oscar nomination for his cinematography on The Pianist. His credits include Ray, The Ghost Writer, Oliver Twist, Hamlet and Katyn.

American Cinema Editors president Randy Roberts and IMAGO president Nigel Walters will both deliver keynotes at the Filmmakers Festival. Additional sessions will include a look at the visual effects in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part II, the sound work in the Harry Potter series, and Anonymous' production design.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/j … ive-249263

Anybody living near Frankfurt? wink

http://www.filmmakersfestival.com/index … stival_pi1[date]=111031
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2011
    Well, the same plans about honoring James Horner where communicated last year already (even with a very similar text ... :-D) but in the end, Horner did not come to Frankfurt (pity, cause I already booked a train ticket).

Now, this year, I will wait till final confirmation and, if this really is going to happen, then I'm all there. But still, so far, I'm not yet overly excited... would be fantastic to meet him though! Fingers crossed!!
  3. BasilB wrote
    Well, the same plans about honoring James Horner where communicated last year already (even with a very similar text ... :-D) but in the end, Horner did not come to Frankfurt (pity, cause I already booked a train ticket).

Now, this year, I will wait till final confirmation and, if this really is going to happen, then I'm all there. But still, so far, I'm not yet overly excited... would be fantastic to meet him though! Fingers crossed!!

Horner is in the jury of the Doha Film Festival from October 25th - 29th. So if there is no direct flight from LA to Doha he maybe has to stop in Frankfurt...

The music stars compliment the A-listers of the movie world who will also descend on the festival from October 25 to 29.

Antonio Banderas, James Horner, Joe Letteri, Luc Besson, Morgan Spurlock, Christopher Doyle and Nadine Labaki and award-winning British-Indian filmmaker Asif Kapadia are just some of the names to confirm so far.

http://gulfnews.com/arts-entertainment/ … l-1.889736

Or you're going to fly to Doha and attend the Black Gold premiere. wink
  4. Trailer with some music of the score: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=83372
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2011
    To surpass the time till "Cristiada" and "Black Gold" are released:

Humanoids from the Deep - Expanded Re-Release from BuySoundtrax
    http://buysoundtrax.stores.yahoo.net/hufrdeorsoby.html

With Music from James Horner and Christopher Lennerts (for the sequel).
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2011

Hi Antineutrino

YES! Have been there, met him, interviewed him, let him sign CDs and took a picture. Just bloody great!
    Was there as a press memeber for the german film music magazin CinemaMusica. Now I have a ton of material, that needs to be transcribed and reworked for a proper intereview special for the first CinemaMusica edition of 2012.

It was a great pleasure meeting him. He really went up to his admirers and fans, talked to them for hours, and was incredible patience (also with some real nut-cases). Really quite the opposit of what I was expecting (like him being shut away from the festival people and so on). Was interesting!
  5. A James Horner thread seems to have exploded on FSM (almost 300 replies).

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts … ;archive=0
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2011
    Leave it there!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote
    A James Horner thread seems to have exploded on FSM (almost 300 replies).

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts … ;archive=0

True, but nothing we haven't heard before. Same ol' silly 'plagiarism' debate. It astounds me that people have the stamina to discuss that thing -- and that goes for both sides -- since it pretty much became a dead horse already in the mid 80's.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sigh
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think the argument is still valid especially since the FSM thread began with a current interview with Horner who actually addressed the issue. The problem with the FSM thread is that it inevitably, as with most FSM threads, turned into a flame war instead of an adult, respectful and mature discussion.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I read that thread when there was only one post in it. I thought at the time that it was unlikely to provoke a particularly inspired level of debate. I won't claim great credit for that particular bit of foresight. Anyway, I daren't click on it again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am sorry what is this topic of that retarded thread ? And who is that, horner's lawyer ? My god I laughed at the topic, that place is getting ridiculously retarded !
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    Erik Woods wrote
    I think the argument is still valid especially since the FSM thread began with a current interview with Horner who actually addressed the issue. The problem with the FSM thread is that it inevitably, as with most FSM threads, turned into a flame war instead of an adult, respectful and mature discussion.

-Erik-

I added a few comments to the thread (on topic and not name calling) - but it doesn't matter what you say over there sometimes, people ignore the few rational folks (from both sides) and only react/respond to the poster or the sentence that pours lighter fluid on their anger. I bowed out of it. Not worth reading adults acting like children. It all becomes an echo chamber and I bolt for the exit!
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011
    It is pathetic. The whole thing. Although he makes some valid points.
  6. Does anyone know who "dan the man" is from that thread? He seems dangerously angry half the time, and bafflingly unintelligible the rest.
  7. I don't know, but his lists of scores are always clumped together in large sentences, with odd use of dashes and lower case lettering. I get dangerously angry just reading his posts.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Does anyone know who "dan the man" is from that thread? He seems dangerously angry half the time, and bafflingly unintelligible the rest.

Unless I've missed something ( I don't read all FSM threads ) I'd guess English isn't his first language but he obviously has a passion for what he's writing about. Why does he seem "dangerously angry" to you Jon?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. I think most Horner fans are pretty indifferent to the whole self-plagiarism issue. If it was that big a deal, Horner would have been discredited a long time ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011 edited
    I mean dangerously angry in terms of him being a danger to himself.

He just seems like one of those people who spends half their life frothing at the mouth over some slight indignity or trifling inconvenience. It's one thing to be passionate about something you love - and I love film music deeply - but to go off on such a bizarre and seemingly irrational rant like he did in that thread, it just strikes me that there are other issues in play.

I have visions of him sat at his keyboard, cheeks flushed, jowls waggling in impotent fury, on the verge of having some kind of seizure, all because he disapporives of Horner's way of working.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Okay Jon, I got you. I had to ( well, I didn't have to wink ) read a few of his posts in the James Horner thread, he could do with lightening up, that's my simplistic way of putting it and I just don't have the patience to go through all of that long thread.

The amount of silly James Horner posts at FSM are beyond a joke now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The Internet holds a horde of weird, lonely and dangerous people. I agree with Jon's analysis.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Any chance that anyone could please link to the original article?
    I'd actually be quite interested to see what Horner has to say on the subject!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He did? Friggin self-plagiarist hack!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Jon Broxton wrote
    I mean dangerously angry in terms of him being a danger to himself.

He just seems like one of those people who spends half their life frothing at the mouth over some slight indignity or trifling inconvenience. It's one thing to be passionate about something you love - and I love film music deeply - but to go off on such a bizarre and seemingly irrational rant like he did in that thread, it just strikes me that there are other issues in play.

I have visions of him sat at his keyboard, cheeks flushed, jowls waggling in impotent fury, on the verge of having some kind of seizure, all because he disapporives of Horner's way of working.

He's a real character, that dan the man. I must admit that I often have to skim his posts because he doesn't use any paragraphs. Just blocks of massive, rambling text, which is very hard to read.
    I am extremely serious.