• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. is there somewhere i can download this soundtrack
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2008
    iTunes. Or Rapidshare. Depends on whether or not you want to pay.
  2. i tried iTunes before and all i saw was the book version. Is there someplace where i am missing it
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2008
    Maybe it's not available in certain countries? When I search for it in iTunes, it comes up as £7.99 for the whole soundtrack.
  3. I asked a friend of mine in England to download it from iTunes UK and send me the MP3s, so it is apparently available there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2008
    oh daaaang. The discussion's gone all serious again. slant And I came all good and ready and naked, too.

Perhaps.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2008
    I brought tequila! silly
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2008 edited
    Ah.. sux... I just wanted to download the Amazon MP3 only album of Horner's Boy in the striped pajamas... can't do it, for you must have a US residence...!!! What to do now? Anyone want to trade it against something or so?
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
  4. The "Captain America" movie has a director: Joe Johnston

He's worked with Horner on four films, and almost on "Jurassic Park 3". Among the credits are "Rocketeer" and "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" -- some of Horner's more popular scores according to fans, so the relationship has been fruitful.

But the director's last four films have been scored by other composers (Elfman, J.N.H., Davis, Isham).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008
    justin boggan wrote
    But the director's last four films have been scored by other composers (Elfman, J.N.H., Davis, Isham).

You know this one is going to Trevor Rabin. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Complimentary barf bag available?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008
    biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2008
    Someone, give this movie to Randy Newman.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  6. Well, Randy doesn't need another rejected score...
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    justin boggan wrote
    Well, Randy doesn't need another rejected score...

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    That's the problem... Randy writes something amazingly snarky and boom, it gets rejected. I wouldn't be surprised if the CIA were behind this.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    HeeroJF wrote
    That's the problem... Randy writes something amazingly snarky and boom, it gets rejected. I wouldn't be surprised if the CIA were behind this.

Well, Air Force One belonged to Goldsmith. If they took Randy's over his I would have gone into shock.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Well, didn't they hire Goldsmith after rejecting Newman?

And McNeely does have a claim into Air Force One's success.
  7. Is a claim "Joel was busy and Jerry didnt' have enough time to do it himself" really that good? Especially when it's said Goldsmith had to work harder to correct things McNeely did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2008 edited
    Correct? What needed correcting? I understand that McNeely was only given a small fraction of the movie to score, no? Did Goldsmith tweak McNeely's music to make it blend with his own style more seamlessly?

Still, it remains that Newman's score was rejected because it would've transformed the movie into a parody of itself. And I believe it's debatable whether that truly would've been for the worse, or, possibly, for the better? Personally I'd have loved to see what would've happened. It's a great score, regardless.

How did we end up focusing on a project James Horner had nothing to do with on the Horner thread? confused biggrin confused
  8. From time-to-time board members come in and mention films a director is now attached to, and which composer they frequent. Scroll up.

"Wonder Woman" now has a director too, McG, so that means Beck of Shearmur.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Randy Newman........hmmmmmm..........
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008
    justin boggan wrote
    From time-to-time board members come in and mention films a director is now attached to, and which composer they frequent. Scroll up.

"Wonder Woman" now has a director too, McG, so that means Beck of Shearmur.

Right, right, I've been following the discussion, I know. I was just pointing out the idiosyncrasy of it.

Anyone believe there's any chance we might ever see Horner go "swords and sorcery" again like Willow or Krull? Might it not have been interesting to have him score Beowulf or The Musketeer?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008 edited
    "Wonder Woman" now has a director too, McG, so that means Beck of Shearmur."

Ow... that will be great! Let's hope that that will happen.

Anyway, if I was Joe Johnston I would pick Frederic Talgorn to score Captain America. I was blown away by his score for Heavy Metal 2000, wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, he can write very layered, extremely interesting music, music which has loads of little ideas. He is just fantastic! Far far superior than most in today's filmscoring business. (guess the only thing they want to 'score' is a quick buck by "writing" some noise) I have been collecting filmmusic since 1990, and after discovering and enjoying the good old stuff written by the usual suspects, I became more and more disappointed with today's filmmusic/composers/remote control type of scoring in general. Luckily we have guys like Talgorn, who do have the skill and knowledge to write superior filmmusic like the best of classy composers like Goldsmith/Williams/Herrmann/Goldenthal. Sadly underrated / underused though by the filmmaking business. Keep scratching my head why??? Do they only want to have sonic wallpaper? Can't they hire Europeans? Was Talgorn dissappointed in his Hollywood adventure, and decided not to return... Why o why is this man not given more major projects?

Anyway... can't stop raving... sorry, I find him THAT good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008
    This is the 2nd time I'm reminded to pick Heavy Metal 2000 from my shelf and give it a couple more spins, because I remember being gravelly uninterested in it. I was expecting too much Bernstein I guess, which left me wanting. But it really sounds like there's more meat on there that I didn't see. After all, I like Robojox and Delta Force 2 very much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2008
    Give it a good serious spin... you will find lots of interesting stuff/different instrumentations, not generic nonsense like most today's scores... lots of nice strings waving up and down... of course it might be not everyone's taste... but I really like his style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2008
    It's just that he took such a giant leap by straying so far away from Bernstein's style. Same deal by straying from Silvestri's original Delta Force.

That's the danger of sequels. And yes Elfman, I'm pointing at you for Hellboy 2. But still, these scores do deserve to be addressed in their own right, and not compared to what came before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2008 edited
    Composers cautious with Holocaust films
    Restraint used in 'Defiance,' 'Striped Pajamas'
    By JON BURLINGAME

Any film told against the backdrop of the Holocaust presents a fragile proposition for film composers. Underlining the film's emotions is key, but caution must be used to avoid overdramatizing a sensitive and horrifying moment in history.

James Newton Howard and James Horner took the leap this year in a pair of WWII films: Howard in "Defiance," the fact-based story of the Jewish resistance in Lithuania, and Horner in "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas," about the friendship between a concentration-camp officer's son and a Jewish prisoner.

"One has to be careful, handling a delicate situation such as the Nazis and the Jews," Howard says. "It's a very sacred topic." Notes Horner: "There are a lot of pitfalls doing an Auschwitz movie, lots of directions that you could go that are overused. I thought, 'I'll doom the film in the first 30 seconds if we choose the wrong color.' It doesn't matter what the notes are."

For "Defiance," Howard and director Edward Zwick decided to feature a solo instrument. Howard toyed briefly with using a cello, but they ultimately went with a violin and engaged Grammy-winning soloist Joshua Bell. "It seemed the instrument that best expressed, or related to, the soul of these people," Howard says.

Howard found the violin "very intimate, very personal," and often used it against images of the Jewish refugees on the move in the forest. "I sometimes wrote in a quasi-minimalist way, trying to keep the melody austere enough, moving but hopefully not overly sentimental," he says.

Bell says he found the film "very powerful and quite intense." They recorded in London's Abbey Road studios, concerto-style, with Bell standing before the orchestra.

For "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas," Horner chose a piano as the solo instrument and played all of it himself. "I wanted something neutral and very, very simple -- something vaguely Germanic, with a classical feel to it, yet didn't impart any color, as a clarinet or a voice would," he says. "Keeping it simple and stark, that was as far as I dared go."

The entire score was written for piano and strings, plus two oboes and two barely heard French horns. The story, he felt, needed very subtle handling, with tone shifts only "by millimeters. At every turn, it was almost better not to have music, because just having music meant I was making some contribution that made the emotional state gloomier."

Late in the film, the score undergoes "a whole transformation," Horner explains, "from having very little forward momentum to suddenly becoming panic," reflecting what's happening onscreen. So for the end titles, Horner played the main theme as a lullaby, "in its simplest version, with no ornamentation. It just goes on and ends wistfully," he says, providing an emotional release for viewers.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799 … 6&cs=1
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2008 edited
    I listened to Horner's score, its nice relaxing piano music... only at the end its building towards a very very harsh cresendo, its a very bleak and utterly cold/ugly sound... on purpose. (i guess something gruesome is happening on screen then)

Its a nice mix, a kind of Brainstorm (the softer parts) meets A Beautiful Mind.

Btw... Brainstorm is a tremendous score.
  9. I've listened to it three times now and it's growing on me, at the core is the utterly beautiful piano theme, but I also love the magical motif which appears in the second track, so Horner, so mesmerizing, but not used enough in the score. Yeah and the ending is remarkable indeed. It actually hurts my ears when playing it loud. sad

For someone who was a huge fan of the man pre 2000, but disappointed by his later shift in style, I've already heard some interesting music over the last few years, which started with Legend of Zorro, Spiderwick Chronicles, and now Boy in Striped Pyjamas. I silently hope he will write another epic classic soon, maybe Avatar. Us Horner buffs seriously need it!!!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.