• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2010
    Matt C wrote
    The clash of musical styles has been apparent since Doyle scored HP4

So that makes it right?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote

So that makes it right?

-Erik-

No, but the composer choice is in Yates' and WB's hands rather than film-score fans. I'd be happy with Desplat to score Part Two to maintain musical continuity between films, but I'd be equally as happy with John Williams scoring Part Two.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

So that makes it right?

-Erik-

No, but the composer choice is in Yates' and WB's hands rather than film-score fans.

That's how it works?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Part 1 and 2 for Potter sounds so cheesy and money-hunting.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2010
    Especially for a part 7.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, it is a huge book and instead of having their core audience (kids) sit in a theatre for 4 and half hours straight (there attentions spans don't last that long) they are going to split it up into two parts. And of course its money hunting. It's a business. The whole point is to make money.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote

That's how it works?

-Erik-

Apparently so. When the WB screened a rough cut of Part One in Chicago last month, both Yates, Heyman, Barron and Alan Horn were there. Somehow, some of the Mugglenet contributors managed to be invited in (as well as a Leaky Cauldron contributor), and they asked Yates and Heyman about it before the showing. They said the composer for Part Two hasn't been finalized. That means one of three things:

1) They are trying to get the post-production schedule aligned correctly with John Williams' availability to score Part Two.
    2) Alexandre Desplat got offered the Part Two job and is mulling it over.
    3) They're negotiating with a different composer than Desplat or Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The audience is obviously not just kids wink
  1. Indeed. Used to be you could talk about Desplat films and escape all this fan-mania - it was all classy, polished stuff. Now with Twilight fans and now Potter fans, it's hard to get a word in edgeways with all the fervour that comes with those constituencies. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

My goodness D, whatever next? Film composers writing music purely for our enjoyment!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am not talking about the film composers but the studio producers and the way they showcase this final franchise. Of course they'll earn money out of it and this is the reason they're into the business anyway in the first place, but they should be a bit more discreet and not underestimate people's intelligence. Harry Potter 7 in 2 parts.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, we know D.

I don't really have to keep putting one of these do I --> wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am not talking about the film composers but the studio producers and the way they showcase this final franchise. Of course they'll earn money out of it and this is the reason they're into the business anyway in the first place, but they should be a bit more discreet and not underestimate people's intelligence. Harry Potter 7 in 2 parts.

Christodoulides, the decision to split the final HP book into two separate films was made March 2008. It wasn't like they aimed to make one movie and decided to break it in two before filming started. Yes, the move will make more money for the WB, and keeps the franchise on for another year. But if you read the book, there's a lot of plot points that are wrapped up and there's a consistent narrative thrust.

A single film would've been doable, but likely as a 3-4 hour film. And even then, fans would've howled at the amount of material excised. (Not to mention that the filmmakers briefly played with the idea to make the fourth film "Goblet of Fire" into two films.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The details in book 7 are simply too much to squeeze into a 2.5 hour film, especially seeing how they need to wrap up a lot of unexplained plot details they left in the previous films. The monetary motive is undeniable (they are a major film studio after all) but I think they took the totally correct decision in splitting the film into two parts. In fact, reading the book, you might see that these two halves indeed have a distinct aura to themselves and they chose the correct point for the split.

The only question is, who will score the final part? It's rather odd that all the Potter sites who have good access to WB and said they would confirm it are still silent on this (SnitchSeeker even deleted their tweet regarding this). As long as it's either Desplat or Williams, it's a win-win situation for me personally.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So, first part is by Desplat or Williams?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    James Horner
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote

Desplat is indeed scoring Part One. If you check the official HP website and go to the "Hover for Credits" bar, it confirms Desplat's involvement.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    James Horner

applause
  2. Matt C wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Desplat is indeed scoring Part One. If you check the official HP website and go to the "Hover for Credits" bar, it confirms Desplat's involvement.

And Conrad Pope already talking about doing the orchestrations anyway.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. I really don't think there's too much going on the final book to put it into one film. Previous HP books were longer if I'm not mistaken, and had more going on than the final book. As I read it I was amazed at how long it spun its wheels. There was something like 6 horcruxes (or whatever they're called) to find in a single book and as hundreds of pages went by I kept asking myself when they were going to get around to finding the rest of those. I'm totally unconvinced that there was any reason to split the film other than financial.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2010
    People like HP for reasons other than the main good vs. evil story arc. If more of those other reasons can be fit into the film, I'm sure many people will appreciate it.

And it's certainly a whole lot better than the last Twilight being split into two films... crazy
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Scribe wrote

And it's certainly a whole lot better than the last Twilight being split into two films... crazy

Yeah, I don't get it either. From what I've heard, there isn't any massive plot points wrapped up or a huge narrative thrust throughout the film. The final book split for Twilight is even more of a money-grab than Potter was, with a year-long wait between films (as opposed to a 7-8 month gap).

It might be worth it, if a great composer comes along to score it, but I doubt it. Unless Bill Condon wants someone else, looks like Carter Burwell is returning to the franchise.
  4. Ah, as foretold, this wonderful thread descends into a mixture of Potter and Twilight references. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    When does Largo Winch 2 come out? smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorsklnkl
    Nautilus is nauseous.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Scribe wrote

Early next year, it's called The Burma Conspiracy ( rolleyes ) but I can't wait for the score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Ah, as foretold, this wonderful thread descends into a mixture of Potter and Twilight references. wink

Well, same crap anyway wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Scribe wrote

Early next year, it's called The Burma Conspiracy ( rolleyes ) but I can't wait for the score!

I can! ( but I'm more patient than you, a lot more! tongue ) Still, Largo Winch was a helluva enjoyable score and I do look forward to a second offering of desplat.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sklnkl wrote
    Nautilus is nauseous.

Pardon?
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2010
    Desplat's score for Deathly Hallows is up for pre-order at Amazon. It's due out November 16, and apparently will have 'enhanced' content a la Azkaban and Half-Blood Prince.

http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Deat … amp;sr=1-1