• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    (And oh dear - did someone just suggest Stanley and Iris trumps Desplat's whole catalogue? Call me Katharine!)

I LOVE Stanley and Iris. That's a great little 30 minute album brimming with excellent themes!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. I said call me Katharine, dammit! crazy
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010
    Sorry, Katherine.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. That is some consolation for holding that opinion. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. So, this man is officially my favorite up-and-coming composer. After hearing and enjoying The Painted Veil, Girl with a Pearl Earring, New Moon, and The Queen, I may have stumbled onto a genuine masterpiece with The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

At the rate he's going, I may just drop Thomas Newman and go full frontal for Desplat. biggrin biggrin spin smile cool
  4. On second thought, I'll never drop Newman...I'm eagerly awaiting his score for The Adjustment Bureau.
  5. but he was replaced with James Horner, wasn't he?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Only because Newman hasn't put out any new stuff in ages, and I've exhausted his backlog...

I still have to listen to Horner's 80s output...The Rocketeer, Willow...
  7. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Only because Newman hasn't put out any new stuff in ages, and I've exhausted his backlog...

I still have to listen to Horner's 80s output...The Rocketeer, Willow...

The Rocketeer is the 90s, dude biggrin
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  8. Well Gorky Park then.
  9. Gorky Park is a weird beast. I happen to like that score, but the electronic type of Commando approach (and I think it's the best score of this style, Gorky Park, that is) may turn people off. Some themes recurring in the 1980s action scores appear there too.
    • CommentAuthortimme
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010
    THE SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP
    Original Television Soundtrack

Music Composed by Alexandre Desplat

The third in screenwriter Peter Morgan’s trilogy on Tony Blair, following The Deal, which aired on HBO, and the Academy Award-nominated film The Queen, The Special Relationship stars Michael Sheen as Tony Blair and Dennis Quaid as Bill Clinton.

In 1993, ambitious British politician Tony Blair arrives in Washington D.C. to meet with advisors who helped bring Bill Clinton into office. At his meeting, Blair is given war room wisdom: “Listen to what the people are saying. It’s easier to change what the party stands for than what the people want.” Three years later, Blair puts the advice to work, declaring “Je suis European” at a speech in Paris, committing himself to his fellow Continentals.

When both Blair and Clinton are swept into office, Clinton shares with Blair his excitement over their “unique opportunity” to advance their center-left ideas and bring genuine change over the next few years. As the two men continue their terms in office, world and personal events determine which man has the upper hand in the long-standing alliance. The conflict in Northern Ireland, the Monica Lewinsky scandal, and differing strategies about the crisis in Kosovo all play a part in shifting their positions on the world stage, and their opinions of each other. And when the 2000 election brings new leadership into the White House, it is up to Blair to decide how the relationship will carry on.

Alexandre Desplat adds another extraordinary score to his long list of recent achievements (The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button, The Queen, Twilight: New Moon).

THE SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP began airing on HBO on May 29.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 067 035 2
    Release Date: 07/06/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Has anyone seen this show? What's the music like?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    So, this man is officially my favorite up-and-coming composer. After hearing and enjoying The Painted Veil, Girl with a Pearl Earring, New Moon, and The Queen, I may have stumbled onto a genuine masterpiece with The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

At the rate he's going, I may just drop Thomas Newman and go full frontal for Desplat. biggrin biggrin spin smile cool

And still you haven't heard BIRTH, THE UPSIDE OF ANGER, and SYRIANA. Do so and you'll thank me wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2010
    from colosseum.de

The Special Relationship [Alexandre Desplat]

The third in screenwriter Peter Morgan’s trilogy on Tony Blair, following The Deal, which aired on HBO, and the Academy Award-nominated film The Queen, The Special Relationship stars Michael Sheen as Tony Blair and Dennis Quaid as Bill Clinton.

In 1993, ambitious British politician Tony Blair arrives in Washington D.C. to meet with advisors who helped bring Bill Clinton into office. At his meeting, Blair is given war room wisdom: “Listen to what the people are saying. It’s easier to change what the party stands for than what the people want.” Three years later, Blair puts the advice to work, declaring “Je suis European” at a speech in Paris, committing himself to his fellow Continentals.

When both Blair and Clinton are swept into office, Clinton shares with Blair his excitement over their “unique opportunity” to advance their center-left ideas and bring genuine change over the next few years. As the two men continue their terms in office, world and personal events determine which man has the upper hand in the long-standing alliance. The conflict in Northern Ireland, the Monica Lewinsky scandal, and differing strategies about the crisis in Kosovo all play a part in shifting their positions on the world stage, and their opinions of each other. And when the 2000 election brings new leadership into the White House, it is up to Blair to decide how the relationship will carry on.

Alexandre Desplat adds another extraordinary score to his long list of recent achievements (The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button, The Queen, Twilight: New Moon).
  10. I didn't even know this film was being made. Sounds like it will be great! What a terrible title, though...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2010
    His Twilight score got an 8-bit version now biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2010
    I am listening to TWILIGHT: NEW MOON and really what Desplat did with this franchise is something i truly think nobody would have expected; whilst the first score set the tone, Desplat elevated the music to levels it will obviously never go again. Shore sounds so out of his league with the third, uninspired score.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am listening to TWILIGHT: NEW MOON and really what Desplat did with this franchise is something i truly think nobody would have expected; whilst the first score set the tone, Desplat elevated the music to levels it will obviously never go again. Shore sounds so out of his league with the third, uninspired score.

Well, I think, that's a bit harsh, but Shores music indeed does feel a bit "hollow" to me... not so much 'meat on the bone' here... as it feels to me. He can be much better!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2010
    I do agree. Aside from the battle music and the lovely Bella theme, it's not as longing or beautifully romantic as Desplat's New Moon score.

Speaking of Desplat, is he recording the Harry Potter score at Air Lyndhurst or Abbey Road Studios? IMDB says the former, but you never know.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  11. Hmm, I could have asked. The tradition is recording the Potter scores in Abbey, but after New Moon Desplat might have found a likeness in AIR (just like Hans Zimmer choosing it for personal preference).
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2010
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hmm, I could have asked. The tradition is recording the Potter scores in Abbey, but after New Moon Desplat might have found a likeness in AIR (just like Hans Zimmer choosing it for personal preference).

Doyle recorded Goblet of Fire at Air Studios, but that was his personal preference too.
  12. Doyle had a very long relationship with Air-Edel (like Hans Zimmer and John Powell, don't forget that Powell was Doyle's assistant before coming to Media Ventures), so yes, makes a lot of sense.

The thing is that I forgot to ask in both studios, when I was in London.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2010
    That's okay.

Now that EW has revealed the film split for Part One (I won't tell since some of you haven't read the novel), and over 60% of the novel is in Part One. Very excited about where it is, and what Desplat will do for the end scene.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2010
    According to Pope's Facebook, he and Desplat have been in London for about a week. They're 20 minutes into what will be a 100+ minute score.

Not surprised, as the rough cut is about 2 1/2 hours long (Doyle recorded 100 minutes of score for the fourth HP film). And Erik, you seem much more optimistic about Desplat's Potter score than you were a few months ago, according to Pope's Wall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2010 edited
    I'm always optimistic when I new Desplat score comes out. Like I've said before he is my greatest film music curiosity (and the most incredibly frustrating.) I'm looking forward to what he has in store for us and I hope that this is the score where he truly stretches his wings!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm looking forward to what he has in store for us and I hope that this is the score where he truly stretches his wings!

If you read the final book (or Wiki it), it runs a whole gamut of emotion. There are some scenes I pray Desplat delivers musically: a big mid-air chase at the beginning of the movie, one minor character's death near the end, and the climatic end scene of Part One.

If he gets it, then I think the rest of the score will be good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Indeed, it's so good to know that it's going well. I'm really looking forward to the music from the air battle too; unless Yates asks him to leave that scene unscored (I pray he doesn't), I'm sure Desplat can deliver a great action cue there. The overall tone of the film definitely fits his style perfectly.
  13. Matt C wrote
    That's okay.

Now that EW has revealed the film split for Part One (I won't tell since some of you haven't read the novel), and over 60% of the novel is in Part One. Very excited about where it is, and what Desplat will do for the end scene.

given that 60% of the first 60% of the movie was just the three main characters bickering in the woods, I think it was a stupid move to split the films. Other than some excitement at the beginning and end, this first film is going to bore me (like most of the other Potter films before it). Love the books, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2010
    christopher wrote
    60% of the first 60% of the movie was just the three main characters bickering in the woods

60% of 60%? So... 36% then? uhm