• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2010
    Matt C wrote
    Desplat's score for Deathly Hallows is up for pre-order at Amazon. It's due out November 16, and apparently will have 'enhanced' content a la Azkaban and Half-Blood Prince.

http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Deat … amp;sr=1-1

As long as it's a digital download of the complete score, like with a previous Potter, I have no problems with that enhancement. If it's anything else, well... bah.
  1. A properly produced album with editing, in the usual Desplat fashion, please. smile

(I'm just imagining 'The End of Love' or 'Cholera' from THE PAINTED VEIL if they had been presented in its original form as multiple separate cues.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. I love this man so much I'm playing all 16-17 scores I have from him in succession of iTunes shuffle. Up next, New Moon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2010
    I feel sorry for you, Kevin.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I can't stand New Moon. Give me Largo Winch/Hostage/The Ghost Writer/Girl With a Pearl Earring/Firewall or Julie & Julia any day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    New moon is stunning. I feel sorry for you.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Christodoulides wrote
    New moon is stunning. I feel sorry for you.

Same here. It's just a wonderful score amidst all that RC junk we got last year.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  3. Anthony wrote
    I can't stand New Moon. Give me Largo Winch/Hostage/The Ghost Writer/Girl With a Pearl Earring/Firewall or Julie & Julia any day.

I have all of those except Julie & Julia...
  4. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

We don't need your pity. You're not getting any of mine either when you next complain about the state of modern film scoring. wink
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Translation of subtext: "I think you have poor taste"

Well I like Desplat's music, so I think it is a good taste in music.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Panthera wrote

Well I like Desplat's music, so I think it is a good taste in music.

Out of the 119 scores Desplat has completed, Erik only likes 3% of it. He just doesn't like the restrained nature of Desplat's writing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ugh! Guys - it was light-hearted comment. I guess I need to use those emoticons more often. I don't care if someone listens to 55 hours of Desplat music or 145 hours of Zimmer music or the entire score album to Beach Blanket Bingo.. More power to him or her. This isn't about my taste is better than yours or visa versa. I'm just having some fun! For the record... I really enjoyed New Moon.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Hey, my comment was just as light-hearted! I even wink 'd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Hey, my comment was just as light-hearted! I even wink 'd.

Oh... I got yours and found it to be rather witty. It's Panthera's translation of subtext which I think was lost in translation.

-Erik-
  6. The problem is that nearly all of the HP books had been compressed to fit into a single movie, which lead to an enormous amount of important stuff missing about nearly every character except Harry, which probably is the reason why the movies feel so empty while the books are charming without end. Harry himself is not a too likeable character, because he´s way too passive in the whole series, up to the end, when he finally gets over puberty and starts to act like a chosen one should, instead of being pushed into every move by the powers behind. It was a grave mistake by the movies to concentrate solely on him, and I really appreciate the attempt to make up for it by splitting Book 7, which really digs deep into the characters, especially during those long hiding sequences, which a lot of people hated. I loved them, because it was during that time that things finally moved forward for the trio and the relationship between them on a level that was so much better than the constant childish bickering we had before; and it seems they made it into the movie.

Desplat´s style will fit this part like a glove.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    sklnkl wrote
    Nautilus is nauseous.

Pardon?

How odd that a person/entity signed up here 7 days ago merely to make this single comment?

Speaking of Jordi, since Zimmer is quiet so is he, they are obviously one and the same being.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. I was watching a bit more of the Varese Spartacus DVD and Desplat seems such a genuine and likeable person when he's talking about his love for film music. Certainly someone I'd like to meet in the flesh.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. Totally unrelated, but does anyone know exactly how Desplat's last name is pronounced? Is the "t" sounded out or silent? I figured that since he's French, maybe it's silent, but I can't be certain...
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2010
    Yep, the "t" is silent.
  9. Cool, I was right. I heard his name pronounced "Duh-Splat" instead of "Day-Plah", but those were on American award shows, and Americans are notoriously bad at pronouncing foreign-sounding names...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2010
    It's Des-Plah! However, even Desplat himself has pronounced it Des-Plat (with a very, very soft "T")

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I always thought the 's', as often in French, was also silent...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I thought Deh-Plah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    I thought Deh-Plah.

Me too. That's the most logical from a linguistic point of view, but sometimes names are different.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2010
    THE SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP

http://scoremagacine.blogspot.com/2010/ … nship.html
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Anthony wrote
    I thought Deh-Plah.

Me too. That's the most logical from a linguistic point of view, but sometimes names are different.

I thought so too until I heard him pronounce his own name.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Anthony wrote
    I thought Deh-Plah.

Only when it would have been two words: Des Plat.
    Me, I'm more surprised at the final -t being audible.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  10. Little surprise that I bought this. Of course, I thought I would give LOST one more crack after Season 3 by buying the final episode scores too. And SPARTACUS. So no more CDs for me for a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2010
    "And SPARTACUS" lol
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  11. If any of you had to rank your favorite Desplat waltzes, what would be your top 5? For me:

1. Dinner Waltz (Lust, Caution)
    2. Chez Chanel (Coco Avant Chanel)
    3. River Waltz (The Painted Veil)
    4. Birth Waltz (Birth)
    5. Love in Murmansk (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)