• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeap, that's what i gathered; i have that cd, i love it and you're quite spot on, the suite from the beat my heart skipped is simply brilliant; i wonder if there was more music in that film and if yes : 1) if it was just more of the same or 2) why it got never fully released.

As with Max Richter, i know; he can get quite dangerous when he goes completely repetitive and minimalistic, like in his recent works, but with stuff like 'the blue notebooks' and the piece 'the nature of daylight' it's an instant sell for me; and i have you to thank, if i recall correctly.

Off topic, but have you heard the mash-up of Richter's "The Nature of Daylight" and Dinah Washington's "This Bitter Earth"? Absolutely gut-wrenching.

Nop! Any links?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    I like that version.
    Amusingly, I worked on the sound of a feature film here called 'PENELOPA', which originally was to use 'On the nature of daylight' as well as other original and pre-composed Richter themes as its score. Over the course of the sound post, we got 'Daylight' out of the film, and it was just as well. The director wouldn't have liked the perception that he was using the latest piece of popular orchestral music, and the fact that it even popped up in a Scorsese psychological thriller would make it look like the 'Iguazu' of 2010 (in reference to Santaolalla's oft-temped piece).

In scorsese, i really felt it was the best usage of that fine piece of music 'till now; and it's a lot for a piece that is also being used so much around, like Iguazu which you mentioned, another fine piece of music and which was perfectly used in Babel, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    The movie is good. Their last 3 films together - Prophet, Read my Lips and The Beat my Heart Skipped are all really fine films. I'm sure the early stuff is worth watching too - I just haven't seen it yet.

Ah, didn't know it was from the same director of the prophet! i really loved this film, i am going to look for the other 2 as well.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I like that version.
    Amusingly, I worked on the sound of a feature film here called 'PENELOPA', which originally was to use 'On the nature of daylight' as well as other original and pre-composed Richter themes as its score. Over the course of the sound post, we got 'Daylight' out of the film, and it was just as well. The director wouldn't have liked the perception that he was using the latest piece of popular orchestral music, and the fact that it even popped up in a Scorsese psychological thriller would make it look like the 'Iguazu' of 2010 (in reference to Santaolalla's oft-temped piece).

In scorsese, i really felt it was the best usage of that fine piece of music 'till now; and it's a lot for a piece that is also being used so much around, like Iguazu which you mentioned, another fine piece of music and which was perfectly used in Babel, imo.

I'm not keen on Iguazu in BABEL actually. Of the 5-6 times I've seen it used in a film (as opposed to just being a temp, which would include many more cases), by that time, the piece didn't have a lot left to give to a film. And the helicopter sequence didn't really mean anything anyway.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, it was more of an aesthetic audio visual space for the audience to breathe after all the emotionally intense happenings that have preceded it, without a break up to that point. In my classes, when we were watching the movie and the set sequence, i found that most youngsters agreed with this. It's a soothing scene, kinda like the last scene on the skyscraper with the SAkamoto piece. A reward for the audience's commitment.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    A reward for the audience's commitment.

An indulgence for the director!
    I'm also pretty harsh on that ending with that piano-and-strings music too, actually. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Heheh, interesting. Shoot away, i am eager to hear your views.
  3. Sometimes life is too short to explain the things we don't like. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Here is the new Harry Potter soundtrack cover.

That is the best they can come up with. They go from Struzan to this CG bull crap.

Anyway, it's the music that counts and I hope and pray that Desplat writes something remarkable.

NO MORE WALTZESESESESES

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    That is the best they can come up with. They go from Struzan to this CG bull crap.

I was just thinking the other day how much I missed those older posters where the characters are drawn instead of photographed. I didn't realize there was a specific guy that did all those famous ones. But I agree, it's a terrible digression.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010 edited
    Matt - Check out Drew Struzan's site. The guy is a legend.

And if you wish to explore the man's work even more then purchase the following books.

THE ART OF DREW STRUZAN

THE MOVIE POSTERS OF DREW STRUZAN

I have them both and they are fantastic!

Enjoy!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote

Anyway, it's the music that counts and I hope and pray that Desplat writes something remarkable.

NO MORE WALTZESESESESES

-Erik-

Erik, that cover is a big improvement over the previous three film posters ("Goblet", "Phoenix" and "Half-Blood Prince"). Granted, it's nowhere close to Struzan's work but at least Harry and co. aren't standing around wielding their wands.

And I noticed this for preorder on Amazon too. Seems like WB really likes Desplat's music and is doing an expanded release.

And I think we'll get a waltz, regardless. Probably for the wedding scene at the beginning of the film.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010 edited
    Matt C wrote
    And I noticed this for preorder on Amazon too. Seems like WB really likes Desplat's music and is doing an expanded release.

Number of Discs: 4

What!?! shocked

PS: I pre-ordered it. No telling how many rabid HP fans there are in the world and whether that number will exceed the number of units they're producing. If it turns out that there's no additional score in this release and it's just a bunch of fancy trinkets, then I can always cancel the pre-order...Amazon doesn't bill until it ships so I have two months to decide whether it's actually worth it!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Scribe wrote

Number of Discs: 4

What!?! shocked

Perhaps it'll be like this...

Disc One: Original soundtrack album
    Disc Two: Remaining score omitted from the first disc
    Disc Three: Alternate cues and outtakes
    Disc Four: a comprehensive interview with Desplat about the score

I can't see one disc devoted solely for source songs. The only song I remember the director using is the Nick Cave song "O'Children", for one scene in the film. That could easily be included on the second disc or regular soundtrack album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    Erik, that cover is a big improvement over the previous three film posters ("Goblet", "Phoenix" and "Half-Blood Prince"). Granted, it's nowhere close to Struzan's work but at least Harry and co. aren't standing around wielding their wands.

But it's still boring as hell! Take a photo of the kids running in the forest and slap it on the cover. No artistic value whatsoever! But then again, they didn't have much to choose from. The nine official posters are all pants, too!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    The character posters with the close-ups are just terrible. Maybe the illustrator will aim for a Mary GrandPre-style poster for Part Two (if you see the front cover of the book, you'll know what I mean).

Of course, I'd love it if Struzan came back. But this is WB we're talking about, so...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, Drew's retired... and lame ass posters like the examples above are the reason why.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote
    -Erik-

I know he is. He did the posters for SW, Indiana Jones, first Harry Potter, et al. Even did one for "Power Rangers SPD" and the DTV film "Labou" -- although he was friends with Greg Aronowitz.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    -Erik-

I know he is. He did the posters for SW, Indiana Jones, first Harry Potter, et al. Even did one for "Power Rangers SPD" and the DTV film "Labou" -- although he was friends with Greg Aronowitz.

That was aimed at the OTHER Matt... aka Scribe.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    It's great and puzzling at the same time that, while many scores will never see the light of day and remain in paid download hell, several other scores are getting an incredible deluxe treatment - Spartacus, the obscure Badelt score, Burton-Elfman, and now this!

Of course, it's cashing in on a hype in this Potter case, realizing this is the final film where they can do it, but imagine; what if Williams will do the final Potter score and we get this treatment on a John Williams release? Must buy for me, for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NO MORE WALTZESESESESES

-Erik-

And I think we'll get a waltz, regardless. Probably for the wedding scene at the beginning of the film.

Well, Patrick Doyle also managed to write several waltzes for Goblet of Fire - I bet Desplat will find a way to get his waltzes in as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    At this point given their comparative output over the last few years, I'd rather have a deluxe Desplat release than a deluxe Williams release. Oddly. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Williams would never sign off on a deluxe edition. He'd rather cut the best 20 seconds of tracks for the soundtrack album.
  4. Erik Woods wrote

NO MORE WALTZESESESESES

-Erik-

For this series? Isn't there a waltz in every Potter score so far? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

NO MORE WALTZESESESESES

-Erik-

Let me rephrase... NO MORE DESPLAT STYLED WALTZESESESESESESESESESES!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote

Let me rephrase... NO MORE DESPLAT STYLED WALTZESESESESESESESESESES![/big]

-Erik-

You've already made your point...

... I am surprised WB is breaking out an expanded score for "Deathly Hallows: Part One", especially a month after the original CD. Do they really like Desplat's score and will it warrant an expanded release?

The last time WB did anything like this was The Dark Knight special edition, but that was five months after the original soundtrack came out.

Now Amazon has packaging artwork for the Limited Edition -- looks like it will have some sheet music and pretty packaging to go along with the four CDs.
  5. Maybe it´s a kind of compensation for him because they actually got Williams for Part 2 ...

Or, of course, it´s all about the money. Maybe they realised they missed a chance to milk the soundtrack fanboys with parts 1-6 and want to remedy that.

But I ordered it, too. I would do the same for a Golden Compass set. Desplat rulz. ^^
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

NO MORE WALTZESESESESES

-Erik-

Let me rephrase... NO MORE DESPLAT STYLED WALTZESESESESESESESESESES!

-Erik-

Oh, come on, Erik. Desplat should have a chance to top "Aunt Marge's Waltz" at least...
  7. Even Tyler Bates could do that.
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeap, that's what i gathered; i have that cd, i love it and you're quite spot on, the suite from the beat my heart skipped is simply brilliant; i wonder if there was more music in that film and if yes : 1) if it was just more of the same or 2) why it got never fully released.

As with Max Richter, i know; he can get quite dangerous when he goes completely repetitive and minimalistic, like in his recent works, but with stuff like 'the blue notebooks' and the piece 'the nature of daylight' it's an instant sell for me; and i have you to thank, if i recall correctly.

Off topic, but have you heard the mash-up of Richter's "The Nature of Daylight" and Dinah Washington's "This Bitter Earth"? Absolutely gut-wrenching.

Nope! Any links?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXHGoaEtmFM