• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2010
    Well done. A+
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2010
    christopher wrote
    given that 60% of the first 60% of the movie was just the three main characters bickering in the woods, I think it was a stupid move to split the films.

I heard the forest scenes were condensed heavily. They have a definite presence in the film, but they're not as long and repetitive. Other than some minor omissions, changes and condensed scenes, it seems very faithful to the book. Part Two is going to be pumped up in terms of drama -- they're going to show scenes mentioned in the book but not shown (I hear the battle scene is 30-45 minutes long).

Watch the film before you start slamming the filmmakers' decisions to split the film.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2010
    Matt C wrote
    Speaking of Desplat, is he recording the Harry Potter score at Air Lyndhurst or Abbey Road Studios? IMDB says the former, but you never know.

Conrad Pope said recently that they're preparing to record it at Abbey Road.
  1. Both Hooper and Williams recorded at Abbey, so it would make sense that Desplat returns there as well.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2010
    Yeah, I saw on Pope's wall two weeks ago that he was settling into a certain hotel. I googled the location, and it's right near Abbey Road Studios. Nice to see Desplat keeping up the Potter tradition.
  2. While I find this a resourceful way to answer a practical question, if I were Conrad Pope, I'd think twice about revealing the location of my hotel on facebook!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    While I find this a resourceful way to answer a practical question, if I were Conrad Pope, I'd think twice about revealing the location of my hotel on facebook!

It's not like every Potter fan is going to friend him on FB, go to London, and hound him with questions. Most of the die-hard fans don't know who he is, they could care less about who orchestrates the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, Desplat's score to Tamara Drewe is being released later this month. Here are sound clips.

Sounds like quite a pleasant score! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Small and charming and passable, at least to me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Love the xylophone and flute stuff in DREWE. (Just listened to 'Biggest Shagging'.)

Matt C wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    While I find this a resourceful way to answer a practical question, if I were Conrad Pope, I'd think twice about revealing the location of my hotel on facebook!

It's not like every Potter fan is going to friend him on FB, go to London, and hound him with questions. Most of the die-hard fans don't know who he is, they could care less about who orchestrates the score.

Where's the emoticon for nodding skeptically? wink
  4. Rumour says that Warner Bros. Brazil spilled the beans: Williams will score Deathly Hallows Part II. If this is true then it´s a brutal punch in Desplat´s face, but, after all, totally consistent with the chaotic scoring of the whole series. At least we´ll get some nice closure, but they really should have got Williams for Part I or kept Desplat for both parts.

Again, Desplat is denied the work on a sequel for one of his own scores. One can´t think about it without imagining how frustrating this must be for him and whether it will have any effect on the way he will score possible sequel stuff in the future.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2010
    Er, how on earth have you managed to make me less then 100% ecstatic about the prospect of a new Williams score?? shocked
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You know... while getting a new Harry Potter score from Williams is something that I've wanted to happen since Azkaban, Nathaniel is right. Williams should have written the score to Part I or let Desplat finish what he started. There is going to be a clash of musical styles and themes if Williams is brought on board. It's not going to make a whole lot of sense musically, but as Nathaniel pointed out the whole series has been quite a mess in the consistency department.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2010 edited
    Absolutely agree with both of you.

It's kind of an odd feeling feeling ecstatic about a new Williams score but very disappointed to not hear what Desplat would have done.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. I know exactly what everyone is saying, but on the whole -- to have both a new Williams score and a new Desplat score is heartening. There's a lot worse, I guess I mean. wink I just fear Williams will trot out a note-for-note retread (ala Throne Room of the Sith) of 'Harry's Wondrous World' for the closing cue.... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Williams makes so little film music these days, that I'm glad to just have anything. Besides, I'm not the biggest Desplat fan, so I don't really care what we would be missing.

But let's just wait untill this becomes an official confirmation before we pop the champagne.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Here´s the link. I´m sure it will be updated as soon as they have something official.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I think it was quite apparent Desplat had only signed on for Part 1 because during the test screenings in August, the producers said a composer for Part II had not yet been decided. Kinda sad because I'd have loved to see Desplat score something as epic as this, but of course a John Williams score for those huge final battles will be like a musical paradise (and also bring the score series to a full circle), so I really hope this is true!

Apparently the Potter sites are asking WB for official confirmation and should have it soon. Fingers crossed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    I know exactly what everyone is saying, but on the whole -- to have both a new Williams score and a new Desplat score is heartening. There's a lot worse, I guess I mean. wink I just fear Williams will trot out a note-for-note retread (ala Throne Room of the Sith) of 'Harry's Wondrous World' for the closing cue.... wink

yeah What he said.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I have to say I agree with all of you. I love both Williams and Desplat but I wanted the whole nine yards from either of them. Not half and half. Not fair for anyone.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  7. Thor wrote
    Williams makes so little film music these days, that I'm glad to just have anything. Besides, I'm not the biggest Desplat fan, so I don't really care what we would be missing.

You are the mystery of Norway to me.
  8. Williams doing the last is all good news to me. I'm excited for Desplat, too, but c'mon! John Williams is score the climax of the whole series!
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010
    Btw, Williams and Desplat...

Alexandre Desplats newest score (released), "Tamara Drewe", sounds a lot like John Williams' "Catch me if you can" material! Anyone else noticing... or is it just me?

Maybe he was already practicing in adapting Williams material... wink

I think, those resemblances in "Tamara Drewe" in terms of orchestrations is just too strong to not be irritating... pity!
  9. Desplat has always had a bit of that neo-Classical sound in him that suggests Williams. I remember hearing GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING's main theme years ago and thinking of Williams straightaway. His own stuff can lean a little more on the colder, minimalist side, but definitely you can tell he admires Williams (and where Williams got a great many of his ideas - Tchaikovsky, Miles Davis, Rimsky-Korsakov, Stravinsky - greatly. (As he does Herrmann, Delerue, Jarre and Glass.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Also, Williams and Desplat's principle orchestrator is Conrad Pope.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Yeah, probably.
    But in case of "Drewe" the lifting is sooo obvious. It's disappointing! But it mainly works.... wouldn't be too surprised to see Williams' "Catch me" score being the temp track of "Drewe" during post production.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2010
    Conrad Pope punk
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  10. Also, don't forget guys, that Desplat is a huge fan of John Williams, so he may put in homages.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    You know... while getting a new Harry Potter score from Williams is something that I've wanted to happen since Azkaban, Nathaniel is right. Williams should have written the score to Part I or let Desplat finish what he started. There is going to be a clash of musical styles and themes if Williams is brought on board.

How is it going to be a clash of musical styles and themes for two separate films, even if it's a two-part film? Conrad Pope himself addressed Part One as HP7 and Part Two as HP8. David Yates and cinematographer Eduardo Serra even aimed for two distinct visual styles during shooting.

The clash of musical styles has been apparent since Doyle scored HP4
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2010 edited
    Really? They want different moods, styles and sounds for Part I and II? Yet they still market is as Part I and Part II of the same film, with a single trailer for both and shared posters? Both based on a single book? Is it just me, or does that sound like a... wrong artistic decision? (though I think more stupid artistic decisions have been made within this franchise...). Sure, Tarantino did the same for Kill Bill Vol.1 and 2, but that's a completely different kind of film. It seems out of place in something like this.

I guess we'll see how it plays out eventually, but I'm amazed Williams would say yes to this, being part of what feels like only half a film. In a way, he would have to adjust to the musical stylings of his predecessor, there's no getting around to that.