• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Starship Troopers - Basil Poledouris

IMO, this is a miracle of a score. I love it.

Did god do it? cheesy

He might as well have. Shit! shocked

Well, it IS BRILLIANT! punk

2nd only to his Conan score IMO cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    We Own the Night, W. Kilar
  1. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Did god do it? cheesy

I didn't realise you rated conan timmer wink
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2008 edited
    Tim (not timmer) wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Did god do it? cheesy

I didn't realise you rated conan timmer wink

Hah! You very funny man Meester Tim biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE FOUR FEATHERS - James Horner

This is a very fine Horner score which I'm enjoying right now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2008
    Timmer wrote

Indeed, exactly the adjective "fine" was in my mind for this score as well. Totally agree, a great listening experience with some very moving and melodic material highlighting it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Indeed, exactly the adjective "fine" was in my mind for this score as well. Totally agree, a great listening experience with some very moving and melodic material highlighting it.

Agree. The action stuff is impressive, the BHD moments are a welcome move to Horner, and the love theme (Specially in the end credits) is touchings.

One of my favourites Horner scores, no matter what people could think.

( A very long album, though)

NP: The Fountain

Relazing...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2008 edited
    NP:The Dig (Land)

This score deserves more atention.

It's mindblowing. This mix of synthetic , orchestra and vocals...It's just like the game : Like be in another world

(The dig is one of my all time favourite games, with Half Life and Flashback or Resident Evil 4 )
  2. NP: Empire of the Sun John Williams

A good score, but I find the movie slightly boring, but there are some moments where the score and the film mix powerfully.

As a singular listen most enjoyable (although pheasant hunt is a little long)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Invasion USA - Jay Chattaway

I remember buying the record album in the mid 80s while there was a dry spell (score-wise) and I grew to kinda like it. It was a smallish action score for a very B-ish film. But I liked it.
    Now intrada has released the complete, re-mastered score. And I'm enjoying it again.
    OK, it's not quite Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull or anything but it's fun. I like Chattaway.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tim (not timmer) wrote
    NP: Empire of the Sun John Williams

A good score, but I find the movie slightly boring, but there are some moments where the score and the film mix powerfully.

I really like the film, a very underrated effort from Spielberg IMO.

NP : WHERE EAGLES DARE - Ron Goodwin

Nancy boys should stear well clear of this testosterone filled score punk
    • CommentAuthormirdle
    Timmer wrote

I listen to this one often.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Tim (not timmer) wrote

Agreed! Empire is one of Spielberg's finest films. IMHO, it's a great film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Tim (not timmer) wrote

Agreed! Empire is one of Spielberg's finest films. IMHO, it's a great film.

-Erik-

smile beer

A very poignant film, the scene with young Christian Bale witnessing the dawn of a new age from a long distance ( the dropping of "The Bomb" ) is very moving. Great turns from a great cast all 'round, Spielberg rarely get's his casting wrong.

Talking of Spielberg....

NP : POLTERGEIST - Jerry Goldsmith

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    mirdle wrote
    Timmer wrote

I listen to this one often.

Hi Mirdle wave

Only four comments since November? You should join in more!? smile

What other composers, scores do you enjoy?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm in a Jerry mood so....

NP : DAMNATION ALLEY - Jerry Goldsmith

Good score only available on the 20th Century Box. A shame it seems many elements are missing for a single CD release.
  3. Harry Gregson-Williams - Kingdom of Heaven

One of his very best works - epic in its own way, very varied, great choral writing and even to that standards restrained. Great ethnic work. Subdued themes, all right. But Crusaders is spine-chilling.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. NP The Music Of Ennio Morricone Ennio Morricone (duh)

so many epic feeling pieces, its a wonder what the man can do with so little (orchestra wise). And at the end of the disc is my name is nobody, a glorious bit of sillyness to contrast the seriousness, a fantastic compilation!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Joel Goldsmith - Kull The Conqueror

Very nice. Very thematic with lots of variation and interesting bits. Nicholas Dodd orchestrated this so it sounded really beefy and rich. Some of the guitar/orchestra passages is reminiscent of Michael Kamen's work, but that's a good thing. Recommended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Harry Gregson-Williams - Kingdom of Heaven

One of his very best works - epic in its own way, very varied, great choral writing and even to that standards restrained. Great ethnic work. Subdued themes, all right. But Crusaders is spine-chilling.

I couldn't agree more Pawel!
    That's why I'm listening to it right now!I love this score.It grows on me with each listening...
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Tim (not timmer) wrote

It's the only Spielberg film I actively disliked on first viewing, and I've never watched it since (I would probably like it more today). I am somewhat staggered to realise that I don't own the score. I think I need to rectify that!
  5. NP: A Western Compilation (Various)

Great works by Moross, Morricone, Newman, Goldsmith, Bernstein, Barry, Beltrami, Poledouris, Broughton and Jarre (among others) make this a wonderful tour of great music.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2008
    Southall wrote
    Tim (not timmer) wrote

It's the only Spielberg film I actively disliked on first viewing, and I've never watched it since (I would probably like it more today). I am somewhat staggered to realise that I don't own the score. I think I need to rectify that!

Do!
    It's still available and it's excellent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Harry Gregson-Williams - Kingdom of Heaven

I have to admit that after having tossed it as presented on the official cd release, my appreciation for the work of HGW in this one and the overall listening experience were enhanced and improved greatly after having listened to the 3 DISK RECORDING SESSIONS' material which is - at parts - mind-blowing.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. I generally am against recording sessions/complete bootlegs.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Owning them? Or do you prefer ''arranged'' stuff?
  7. I prefer arranged stuff. I think a notable exception is the Peacemaker complete edition, which features both advantages and disadvantages of the score in the best fashion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    King Arthur | Hans Zimmer

Zimmah! Zimmah! Zim-Zimmaahh!

(Just imagine Timmy from South Park is saying that, and you get the idea.)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I half agree - if I really like the score and movie, I'll try and get a complete. But if it's a score that's ''good'' and I'm not too familiar with the film, then I'll just get the OST.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    King Arthur | Hans Zimmer

Zimmah! Zimmah! Zim-Zimmaahh!

(Just imagine Timmy from South Park is saying that, and you get the idea.)

LOL! biggrin