• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2008
    JORDI... WE GET IT! YOU ARE PLAYING LOST!

Do you need to continuously remind us? Let us know when you play something else.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    First proper play of MICHAEL GIACCHINO - Roar!

I tell you why people are being driven crazy over this: 'cause it has all the gripping energy, the rawness of the clearly-heard instruments (.e.g the brooding brass), the pure and clean-cut sound, the ACTUAL ARRANGEMENTS and ACTUAL THEME, and the unstoppable coolness that it's been long missing from film music lately. It doesn't need scientific explanations, it just sparks flames and carries a soul long forgotten in this area.

"and carries a soul long forgotten in this area" Yeap! it's called Godzilla by Akira Ifukube.

biggrin So true!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    JORDI... WE GET IT! YOU ARE PLAYING LOST!

Do you need to continuously remind us? Let us know when you play something else.

-Erik-

Yeap, but If Im don't say this again and again, it could be like some other score...

And it's not like some other score, it's an authentic treasure!!!!!!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2008 edited
    No, it's like any other score. You say ''I'm playing Lost'' and we get it. wink

It's all I've been listening to this weekend and one post was sufficent. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Speed Racer (Giacchino)

brillian and Exiting...Even when sometimes Giacchino goes to Elfman territory.

"Grand o'l Prix" and "reboot" are awesome...With his Days Of thunder kind of Victory progression!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I tell you why people are being driven crazy over this: 'cause it has all the gripping energy, the rawness of the clearly-heard instruments (.e.g the brooding brass), the pure and clean-cut sound, the ACTUAL ARRANGEMENTS and ACTUAL THEME, and the unstoppable coolness that it's been long missing from film music lately. It doesn't need scientific explanations, it just sparks flames and carries a soul long forgotten in this area.

"and carries a soul long forgotten in this area" Yeap! it's called Godzilla by Akira Ifukube.

biggrin So true!

-Erik-

Doesn't change the fact that is something we don't hear in Today's film music though wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Speed Racer (Giacchino)

brillian and Exiting...

Agree, completely. Although the word is "exciting" wink

I've played it three times in a row today, it's so energetic, fun and at the same time touching and theme-driven, it totally blew me away! Glad there's no mickey mousing in the final release!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

biggrin So true!

-Erik-

Doesn't change the fact that is something we don't hear in Today's film music though wink

Sure... I'm not saying that it's not a good piece but after re-listening to Ifukube's Symphonic Fantasia the other day, Michael REALLY stayed true to the genre. He didn't break any NEW ground with the piece is what I'm getting at... however you are right, we need to hear more music of this sort in film music today.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Glad there's no mickey mousing in the final release!

I'm not.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Star Trek: First Contact - Jerry Goldsmith

The first score I heard from Jerry - it's just... great. cheesy

punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

biggrin So true!

-Erik-

Sure... I'm not saying that it's not a good piece but after re-listening to Ifukube's Symphonic Fantasia the other day, Michael REALLY stayed true to the genre. He didn't break any NEW ground with the piece is what I'm getting at... however you are right, we need to hear more music of this sort in film music today.

-Erik-

Couldn't agree more smile

NP : "All Systems Go" THE LAUNCH - James Horner

Just really fancied playing this one track from APOLLO 13, wonderful, glorious track.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: The Film Music of Ron Goodwin

First Listen earlier today, now the second.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Antineutrino wrote
    NP: The Film Music of Ron Goodwin

First Listen earlier today, now the second.

punk

One of my all time favorite re-recording/compilation albums. The hits just keep on coming...

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I'm not.

-Erik-

Explain yourself. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I'm not.

-Erik-

Explain yourself. tongue

I love that stuff!!!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    LSH wrote
    I really like some of Newman's earlier scores. Have you heard...
    Desperately Seeking Susan
    Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael
    Jumpin' Jack Flash
    or the gorgeous Men Don't Leave?

smile

No, I have not... but they're probably hard to get? confused I did see Jumpin' Jack Flash... but I can't say that I noticed the score! Wasn't that the awful Whoopie Goldberg/Will Smith comedy-that-tried-to-be-a-drama / drama-that-tried-to-be-a-comedy-but-turned-out-to-be-a-drama?
  2. Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Indeed. I saw the original GOJIRA on the weekend, and Giacchino was DEFINITELY taking a few leaves out of the Ifukube book. I'm glad somebody is. wink

NP: Code 46 (Free Association)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2008
    NP: Cartoon Cartoon theme songs.
    Johnny Bravo! Do the monkey with me!
    C'mon!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: Something New - Debbie Wiseman

My heart's already melting. Wonderful stuff, particularly the suites for "Hans Christian Anderson," "Haunted," "Wilde" and "Wild Wild West." Why isn't more of her stuff on iTunes?
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    C'mon!

NO!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Chato's Land - Jerry Fielding

It won't displace Lawman as my favourite Fielding western score (or Michael Winner score), but it's still wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    C'mon!

NO!

C'mon! You KNOW you want to!

NP: (because of that one thread): Days Of Heaven - Ennio Morricone
    Bundled together with the excellent Gli Avvoltoi Hanno Fame (Two Mules For Sister Sara), I generally overlooked this score...and quite undeservedly. It's a lovely little score with a beautiful love theme that comes out just marvellously in the last track.
    Very soothing and intelligent, yet quite melancholically emotional.... well, you know what Morricone does when he does it best...and this is a fine, fine effort.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. NP: In the Line of Fire (Morricone)

I wish Morricone was doing US films more regularly. This is a fine suspense score with three memorable character themes.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    i was playing Lost Season 3...The action stuff has much more life without the images than in the previous scores, and the renditions of the main themes (Kate, Desmond and penelope, Juliet, Ben, "the journey" theme....) are So touching...So moving..

(i have not heard very much the sexon cd, Im too adicted to the first one)

NP:Speed Racer ( Giacchino)
    All the contrary than Lost.

You have to be in the right mood for this extravaganza.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2008 edited
    NP: Metalstorm - Richard Band

First listen and... shocked

Dynamite action score for this early 80's 3-D sci-fi epic. For some reason the studio threw a significant amount of money at the music budget which allowed Band to record 3 days of orchestral music at Warner Bros. with Shirley Walker conducting. Band laces his symphonic writing with his patented synth effects which adds a bit of mystery to the music. The battle music here is outstanding and I can't help but hearing what Dennis McCarthy would come up with years later on his Star Trek: Generations score. This is a most pleasant surprise and I highly recommend picking it up if you can.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorJuPe
    NP: Beyond Rangoon - Hans Zimmer

So beautiful and emotional. The final track is just awesome, one of the greatest tracks ever composed by Mr. Zimmer. The action scenes are also impressive because there isn't so much synth stuff there (track 3, 5:33-6:45 punk )
    By the way, does anyone know the name of the female vocalist of the score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Comes a Horseman - Michael Small

My first listen. Seems great!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    C'mon!

NO!

C'mon! You KNOW you want to!

NP: (because of that one thread): Days Of Heaven - Ennio Morricone
    Bundled together with the excellent Gli Avvoltoi Hanno Fame (Two Mules For Sister Sara), I generally overlooked this score...and quite undeservedly. It's a lovely little score with a beautiful love theme that comes out just marvellously in the last track.
    Very soothing and intelligent, yet quite melancholically emotional.... well, you know what Morricone does when he does it best...and this is a fine, fine effort.

Excellent CD, I love it all, particularly the "donkey" theme in Two Mules.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MISSION TO MARS - Ennio Morricone

It may well have it's detracters but I love it! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer, if you were a woman I would glady allow you to procreate with me.

NP: The Good Son - Elmer Bernstein

I've been on a bit of a Bernstein kick lately. Haven't listened to this one in years, but it's very good.