• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2008
    NP: LA TERRE VUE DU CIEL - Armand Amar

omg
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Speed Racer - Michael Gia

A bit much, but pretty enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Give it a break already, i tell you the piece is already in various orchestras' repertoire. Just because your boss or co-worker doesn't whistle out of memory, this doesn't mean it is not a popular piece!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    In England, most people know the Pirates theme. Just throwing that out there, not trying to make a point. Please don't kill me.

Really?

People of my age do at least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    justin boggan wrote
    While working the other day, I heard someone whistling the "Raiders March", and when he stopped, I picked up where he left off. No one has ever, ever whistled "He's A Pirate", or any other Zimmer score for that matter.

OH MY GOD!! That´s the scientific proof I needed! Thanks Justin! Come on..... rolleyes
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    O, Pioneers! | Bruce Broughton

A lovely, undemanding score for a lazy Saturday morning... that shouldn't be lazy, and I should be doing work. CANNOT BE ARSED THOUGH!
    slant
  1. Steven wrote

A lovely, undemanding score for a lazy Saturday morning... that shouldn't be lazy, and I should be doing work. CANNOT BE ARSED THOUGH!
    slant

Fine score. Have you heard TRUE WOMEN, also a lesser-known Broughton western?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote

slant

Fine score. Have you heard TRUE WOMEN, also a lesser-known Broughton western?

I've heard the theme, but alas not the score.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    While working the other day, I heard someone whistling the "Raiders March", and when he stopped, I picked up where he left off. No one has ever, ever whistled "He's A Pirate", or any other Zimmer score for that matter.

OH MY GOD!! That´s the scientific proof I needed! Thanks Justin! Come on..... rolleyes

Oh come on, the Pirates theme is 5 years old. The Raiders March is 27 years old. Where's ''He's A Pirate" going to be in another 22 years... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2008 edited
    The Raider's March, like the themes to Star Wars or Superman, are cultural icons, which means they are known and referenced beyond their original framework: you find them in commercials, cartoons, TV shows...anything that wants to reference the sense that went with the movie.
    The effect always is that such icons start taking on a life of their own, actually integrating the meaning or emotion they originally were supposed to "merely" support.

I would be surprised if this would ever happen to He's A Pirate.
    I'm sure there'll be the odd reference whenever any sort of Pirates Of The Caribbean spin-off merchandise is lauched, but for this tune to divorce itself from its origin and take on the innate meaning of "high seas adventure" (like the Raider's March has become synonymous with "rollickin' high action-adventure" ) seems at best seems unlikely.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I agree with Martijn. And this doesn't need to be an attack at the quality of both themes (lets just not go there), the theme for Indiana Jones is just infinitely more recognisable than the Pirates theme, due to it's more melodic and easy-to-whistle or get-stuck-in-head quality. Now, there was a word for such themes or melodies... slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote
    Now, there was a word for such themes or melodies... slant

Long gone? Oh, that's two.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Oh for the love of God... this is a Zimmer clone score written by his clones. Zimmer actually didn't want anything to do with the project but half way through was brought in and wrote music for it. I don't care who was credited... this is Hans Zimmer music.... at least music that tries it's hardest to "sound" like Zimmer.

-Erik-

That confirms one thing : you don't even know what you are talking about... wink

You don't think The Rock sounds like Zimmer music!?

Erik…James..

Time to expose my Aruments.

A lot of people says: MV music sound all the same. That’s not true. It’s the same style, but not the same music. Star Wars and The sea hawk is the same style, but not the same music. I’m sure this last ones are more complex, and that makes a more distinctive sound for each one and that makes the feeling of being more distinctive between them.

Zimmer fans , for better or for worst, Can notice the differences between this kind of scores. The rock and , for example, Peacemaker are very different. The rock contains more electronic loops (courtesy of HGW) and the orchestration is more based in strings and less in Horns.

One thing has to be clear here, I like Zimmer (with his faults and his weak scores) not MV / RC. Zimmer is talented, a good composer when he wants. His clones can be cool, but they use to be bad composers.

Some Examples:

Empire Strikes back : Quality and Enjoyability.

Transformers: No quality, Enjoyability

At world’s End: Quality and Enjoyability.

Iron man: No quality, No enjoyability.

About Raiders / He’s a pirate thing….I’m sure Raider is a far, far better composition than He’s a pirate. But Even if now I like more Raiders March, I prefer more the faster rymths and powerfull anthem of He’s a pirate.

NP:Temple Of The Doom Complete

I want the the oficial realease of the first track and the last one!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Jordi this was NEVER about your personal preference in music. It's about whether or not "He's A Pirate" will stand the test of time like Raiders has... IMHO, it will NOT!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Jordi this was NEVER about your personal preference in music. It's about whether or not "He's A Pirate" will stand the test of time like Raiders has... IMHO, it will NOT!

-Erik-

Great Erik...great. Because it's only a matter of time.

Im sure in 15 years We will be still here, on this forum. So im curios about what you will say when after 15 years He's a pirate will be still played and Rememberes.

tongue

Here, And the same bat forum, in the same bat hour....in 15 years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I guess we will have to wait and see then... but don't be disappointed when I'm right.

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Great Erik...great. Because it's only a matter of time.

Im sure in 15 years We will be still here, on this forum. So im curios about what you will say when after 15 years He's a pirate will be still played and Rememberes.

tongue

Yes....by YOU Jordi rolleyes wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    In England, most people know the Pirates theme. Just throwing that out there, not trying to make a point. Please don't kill me.

Really?

People of my age do at least.

I'll have to take your word for it.

I'm invited to my friends for dinner tomorrow, his three sons will be there, aged 14 to 20, all film fans and I'm going to get them to see how many film themes they can whistle / hum? Could be a laugh!? cheesy wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nautilus wrote

*blink*
    *blink*

Did...did...did you just reference the old Batman TV series?

NOBODY TOUCH THE SPANIARD, y'hear?
    He's a GOOD guy!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yesterday evening I was playing John Williams JURASSIC PARK THE LOST WORLD while watching a wonderful display of natures power in the form of a thunder storm, awesome stuff and Williams music fitted perfectly aided by turning all lights in the house off and opening the curtains! cool

James? Tim ( not timmer )? This wouldn't have passed you guys by unnoticed surely?

p.s. I pulled the majority of house plugs out including the computer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : KONIG DER LETZTEN TAGE - Wojchiech Kilar

This is the 20 minute suite on Marco Polo, eexcellent music! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Bah! My point is that it won't stand the test of time. The Raiders March is timeless and He's A Pirate isn't. It's absolutely ludicrous to compare the two.

You don't know that for sure...

I think that one thing that helps decide if a piece of music will stand the test of time is how often the piece is heard away from the movie. The Raiders March is a piece that crops up every so often on other TV shows to highlight heroic set pieces in comedy shows, even documentaries sometimes. This then is seen by the average person as a piece that's associated with heroics. Then people begin to hum this at home or at work when it's appropriate. (A non-film score example that comes to mind is Gerry Rafferty's song "Get It Right Next Time" - a good song but was always used for sporting mishap compilations...it had a life away from the Night Owl album).

I just can't see Zimmer's piece being as adaptable nor useable outside the movie. We may think that it's a great piece, but outside the movie it just doesn't it as a stand-alone to enter everyday life.

[EDIT: I should read everyone's contributions before replying to these posts - it would save me so much time. But what Martijn says was what I was trying to highlight myself. Cultural icons!! That's the phrase that would have been useful for me to use.]
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Well, a major TV show in Poland uses He's a Pirate as its main theme. Another program, featuring stars performing circus excercises, used an original arrangement of the cue as well.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. NP: The Dark Hour - Alfons Conde

Well done, Mikael!!

Another great release from MovieScore Media. Some really effective creepy music in this one - creepy music that's interesting to listen to. I didn't really warm to the clips I heard from The Abandoned but this one has hit the mark.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Would you say the soundclips were representative of the score, Alan?
    (for The Dark Hour, I mean)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP - Temple Of Doom

Todays obsessive cue playing is that of The Bug Tunnel. That four note brass motif is mind-boggingly cool! punk
  4. Martijn wrote
    Would you say the soundclips were representative of the score, Alan?
    (for The Dark Hour, I mean)

I think that I would. It's not going to be to everyone's liking but I'm listening to it again now and I'm quite impressed. And it was a bargain at just over £5 (digital download).
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2008 edited
    NP: King Kong - James Newton Howard

God, I love this guy. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2008
    NP: The Village - James Newton Howard

Ahhh....

cool
  5. Timmer wrote
    Yesterday evening I was playing John Williams JURASSIC PARK THE LOST WORLD while watching a wonderful display of natures power in the form of a thunder storm, awesome stuff and Williams music fitted perfectly aided by turning all lights in the house off and opening the curtains! cool

James? Tim ( not timmer )? This wouldn't have passed you guys by unnoticed surely?

p.s. I pulled the majority of house plugs out including the computer

I certainly noticed it, was waiting to go out for a friends leaving drinks, but twas excessively awesome at the same time!! I'm pretty sure southall mentioned it in a post earlier, not sure what thread was though. It just made me think of theat eruption/lightening picture, and how cool that must have been.

I wrote
    because I couldn't remember it straight up, I just listened to hes a pirate and

Which bit do you whistle, its quite long

at least with the raiders march the basic raising 4 note motif is very simple, and then all you have to do is change start note and you've pretty much got the whole thing!

No ones answered this yet

What fecking bit do you hum/whistle??
    If in doubt, let the wookie win