• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2008
    The Reckoning? anyone, any.....................one? slant
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How's that score like? (AUGUST RUSH)? Heard some very glorifying comments but never had the chance to actually listen to the score itself.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    How's that score like? (AUGUST RUSH)? Heard some very glorifying comments but never had the chance to actually listen to the score itself.

Ditto. From what I've read it's really, really good...but that makes me question why it was never released. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2008 edited
    There are 3 tracks (2 score and a rhapsody the kid composed in the movie) on his website.

http://www.markmancina.com/projects/augustrush/

They're low-quality but downloadable smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Some breezy guitars, from what i've heard?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2008 edited
    There are a couple motifs/theme running around the score,a descending arpeggio that get developed very nicely in the Rhapsody, and that's paired with a string theme (similar to what's in Speed or Moll Flander) and another string theme (that seem to be taken out of Hans Zimmer's I'll Do Anything"), then a piano arpeggio. All works really well in the movie, though I don't know how it'll be like on album. The Rhasody track on the song album does capture all the thematic material though, so get that to sample what Mark has done. The overall sound is quite airy with a bit of wistful hope and mystery built in. Note that he did work on much of the rock songs that were sung by Jonathan Rhys Meyer's character.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2008 edited
    lp wrote
    There are a couple motifs/theme running around the score,a descending arpeggio that get developed very nicely in the Rhapsody, and that's paired with a string theme (similar to what's in Speed or Moll Flander) and another string theme (that seem to be taken out of Hans Zimmer's I'll Do Anything"), then a piano arpeggio. All works really well in the movie, though I don't know how it'll be like on album. The Rhasody track on the song album does capture all the thematic material though, so get that to sample what Mark has done. The overall sound is quite airy with a bit of wistful hope and mystery built in. Note that he did work on much of the rock songs that were sung by Jonathan Rhys Meyer's character.

Which was the theme co-composed with Hans Zimmer then?

Nice film by the way, imperative for all (film) music lovers.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2008
    there is a little two-note motif that underpins the whole score... i am sure that's the part Hans composed wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Scribe wrote
    there is a little two-note motif that underpins the whole score... i am sure that's the part Hans composed wink

Nah it would have taken at least five people to have come up with that. tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Christodoulides wrote

I think these glorifying comments are always meant for scores that aren't released, probably to help double (if not triple) the price in the black market should a promo or something surface.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Marselus wrote

I'm not sure, but I'd wager my bet on any of the material from 4:28 to 5:06 in the Rhapsody piece. That's the most Hans Zimmer-ish section in the composition. I think that Mark found that the thematic material suited the movie so well so he credited Hans with it. Someone should do an interview with Mark to clear this up though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2008
    lp wrote
    Marselus wrote

I'm not sure, but I'd wager my bet on any of the material from 4:28 to 5:06 in the Rhapsody piece. That's the most Hans Zimmer-ish section in the composition.

Yes, I agree; is what I thouhgt while watching the movie.

lp wrote
    Someone should do an interview with Mark to clear this up though.

It would be really interesting. Besides, the movie itself and the music is also interesting for Mancina to elaborate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Marselus wrote
    lp wrote
    Marselus wrote

I'm not sure, but I'd wager my bet on any of the material from 4:28 to 5:06 in the Rhapsody piece. That's the most Hans Zimmer-ish section in the composition.

Yes, I agree; is what I thouhgt while watching the movie.

lp wrote
    Someone should do an interview with Mark to clear this up though.

It would be really interesting. Besides, the movie itself and the music is also interesting for Mancina to elaborate.

I agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2008 edited
    From the Soundtrack.net interview:

Reportedly you were doing something with August Rush, which is about a child composer? Did you co-write the theme with Mark Mancina?

No, I didn't co-write a theme with Mark. If anything, Mark had all the good ideas, and my involvement was that we talked a lot about it: he'd play me the tunes, and I'd give feedback.

I think it came from a drunken conversation I had with the producer of Backdraft, Richard Lewis, where only if you were drunk you would admit to what it was like being a little boy and hearing tunes in your head. So that story, or parts of that story, at least, inspired Richard to go and make the movie.

Being a musician is different from being other people. I have tunes that pop in my head, and most of the time they're terrible, but it never occurred to me that it wasn't the same for everyone else. I thought they had real jobs, took life seriously, and thought it was frivolous to do something with those tunes. I grew up without a television, and the only thing we really had at home for me to play with was a grand piano. But I used to love just sitting in front of the piano and making horrible noises! And I still do!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thomas wrote
    From the Soundtrack.net interview:

Reportedly you were doing something with August Rush, which is about a child composer? Did you co-write the theme with Mark Mancina?

No, I didn't co-write a theme with Mark. If anything, Mark had all the good ideas, and my involvement was that we talked a lot about it: he'd play me the tunes, and I'd give feedback.

I think it came from a drunken conversation I had with the producer of Backdraft, Richard Lewis, where only if you were drunk you would admit to what it was like being a little boy and hearing tunes in your head. So that story, or parts of that story, at least, inspired Richard to go and make the movie.

Being a musician is different from being other people. I have tunes that pop in my head, and most of the time they're terrible, but it never occurred to me that it wasn't the same for everyone else. I thought they had real jobs, took life seriously, and thought it was frivolous to do something with those tunes. I grew up without a television, and the only thing we really had at home for me to play with was a grand piano. But I used to love just sitting in front of the piano and making horrible noises! And I still do!

Thanks Thomas!
    So Zimmer was more like an assistant in August Rush rather than co-composing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Marselus wrote
    So Zimmer was more like an assistant in August Rush rather than co-composing.

Yeah, it's interesting too that one of theme sounded like the assistant's previous work than the credited composer punk
  1. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. I remember the film got pushed back, and that Zimmer and Harry Gregson-Williams were originally doing the score.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. That was a mistake of GSA.

GSA reported they are collaborating on the score, but it was taken off his rooster quite quickly. Zimmer was slated for scoring it for quite a longer time. It ended up that he gave the job to Mancina and produced the score himself, that's the story I've heard.

It's quite interesting in the rumoured history of a conflict between Mancina and Zimmer about Zimmer NOT thanking Mancina (who arranged songs and reportedly wrote a bunch of the score to Lion King) on the Oscar ceremony back in 1995.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It's quite interesting in the rumoured history of a conflict between Mancina and Zimmer about Zimmer NOT thanking Mancina (who arranged songs and reportedly wrote a bunch of the score to Lion King) on the Oscar ceremony back in 1995.

I keep reading about this rumor on this board. How the heck did this rumor came about? confused
  4. I don't know where I heard it first. I've heard that Mancina left MV VERY quickly (the first composer to leave it, actually) and in a rather brutal way, which pissed off Zimmer. I don't know if it's possible, but a proof would be that Mancina wasn't getting VERY much work and who knows, maybe he got some "bad press" in the industry. From Zimmer himself.

Is Hans capable of such behavior? I'm not sure, but when Rifkin did the lawsuit, the counter-lawsuit was very harsh and even it alleged that Rifkin used MV's money to pay for hookers and hotels, so...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    That was a mistake of GSA.

GSA reported they are collaborating on the score, but it was taken off his rooster quite quickly. Zimmer was slated for scoring it for quite a longer time. It ended up that he gave the job to Mancina and produced the score himself, that's the story I've heard.

In the end credits of the movie the only credit Zimmer gets is "Theme composed by Hans Zimmer and Mark Mancina".
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I don't know where I heard it first. I've heard that Mancina left MV VERY quickly (the first composer to leave it, actually) and in a rather brutal way, which pissed off Zimmer. I don't know if it's possible, but a proof would be that Mancina wasn't getting VERY much work and who knows, maybe he got some "bad press" in the industry. From Zimmer himself.

Is Hans capable of such behavior? I'm not sure, but when Rifkin did the lawsuit, the counter-lawsuit was very harsh and even it alleged that Rifkin used MV's money to pay for hookers and hotels, so...

Serious?

How did that lawsuit end btw? Haven't heard a thing about it since it appeared in the news some years ago.
    Kazoo
  5. Exactly. That's interesting. Complete silence about the Holst Foundation lawsuit too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I don't know where I heard it first. I've heard that Mancina left MV VERY quickly (the first composer to leave it, actually)

Hmmm....I thought Mancina was never associated with MV.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I don't know where I heard it first. I've heard that Mancina left MV VERY quickly (the first composer to leave it, actually)

From the only source about composer bios i trust:

"As a result of his collaboration with Horn, Mancina was asked by Hans Zimmer to arrange and co-produce the music for his films "True Romance" and "Days of Thunder", and soon became a member of Zimmer's Media Ventures scoring stable. "

http://moviemusicuk.us/mancina.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

From the only source about composer bios i trust:

"As a result of his collaboration with Horn, Mancina was asked by Hans Zimmer to arrange and co-produce the music for his films "True Romance" and "Days of Thunder", and soon became a member of Zimmer's Media Ventures scoring stable. "

http://moviemusicuk.us/mancina.htm

When MV was still alive, they had a website with info on the composers there. That's where I'm sure Southall took some of the info.

Here's one of the first Fansite for Mark.
    http://www.ifiji.com/yumbo/mancinfo.htm

His Zinfo section was one of the first Zimmer fansite too. Great stuff happened. Too bad it's not updated anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2008
    You mean Jonathan Broxton?
  6. He does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    You mean Jonathan Broxton?