• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2012 edited
    MONKEY HANGERS

Monkey Hangers is an "affectionate" term for the inhabitants of Hartlepool, a Northern English coastal town, the name derives from an incident two centuries ago during the Napoleonic wars when a French vessel was shipwrecked on the towns coast, the only survivor was a monkey dressed in a mini uniform, not knowing what a Frenchman looked like the monkey was interrogated, the unfortunate beast was found guilty of being a spy and sentenced to death by hanging, hence the term Monkey Hangers.

TRUE or FALSE ?

smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. the only survivor was a monkey dressed in a mini uniform biggrin

it's so crazy, it's got to be TRUE
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Same here.

TRUE
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2012
    Nice one guys beer

TRUE - 2

FALSE - 0
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm sure there's a story behind that nickname, but I doubt that's the one. Sounds like an urban legend at best.

FALSE.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Fascinating!?

TRUE - 2

FALSE - 1
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    False
    listen to more classical music!
  3. I'll go for false, because I'm hoping the Brits weren't that stupid two centuries ago...

If not, shame on you, Timmer, for sharing that story...
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    We Brits, or more accurately The English invented roads, TV, music, eating, laughter, Dinosaurs, talking, colour, the moon, day & night ... in fact we invented EVERYTHING so yes, stupid is one of them. biggrin

Anyyyyways...

TRUE - 2

FALSE - 3
  4. Timmer wrote
    in fact we invented EVERYTHING

Not entirely correct statement. A Belgian invented the saxophone...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    We invented Belgians tongue biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    MONKEY HANGERS

Monkey Hangers is an "affectionate" term for the inhabitants of Hartlepool

Not a bit of it.
    In fact, it's well known that the phrase "to carry a monkey on your back" dates back as far as the 17th century, when traders from the east started bringing back different species of small monkeys as pets.

They quickly became in vogue with the jet set, and for a few short years, when you had the money to afford it, you could quite literally "carry a monkey on your back" when on the town.

Obviously this was better suited to the gentlemen than the ladies, what with bijouxed bossoms being of unending fascination to the primates, leading to certain awkward incidents including one particularly embarassing event with the duchess of Essex, Cecille (or "Cee" to her intimate friends), whose ample bossom was abused by especially unhousebroken monkey for a toilet (hence the phrase "monkey Cee, monkey do-do", later misunderstood and abbreviated to "monkey see, monkey do".)

Anyway, as the status monkeys were now exclusively part of a gentleman's attire, special thick jackets were created to be able to carry the creatures without too many mishaps. So when the gentlemen retired for the night, their coats were hung by the manservant on special, sturdy and easy to clean monkey-coat hangers, or "monkey hangers" for short. And that's where the phrase stems from.

The fad was short-lived, but has left a lasting impression on the English language.

So, basically, yeah. It's TRUE.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Martijn,

I just read your signature (for the first time, oops how long has it been there shame ?)

Anyways, I completly love it...

Super...

E.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    There was a bit of a discussion a few weeks back on controversial signatures, and I though to quietly change mine into something that might conceivably ruffle some feathers.

It's to the credit of this community that it didn't, I think.
    I'll probably change it again soon as, even though I think it's deliciously witty, it's really neither here nor there as far as film music or this community is concerned. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    We invented Belgians tongue biggrin

TRUE, but that's a story for another day...
  6. Martijn wrote
    There was a bit of a discussion a few weeks back on controversial signatures, and I though to quietly change mine into something that might conceivably ruffle some feathers.

Ruffle feathers? How could this ruffle feathers?

I catch your drift, but I wouldn't like hanging around on a forum where it WOULD cause ruffling of feathers.

Martijn wrote
    I'll probably change it again soon as, even though I think it's deliciously witty, it's really neither here nor there as far as film music or this community is concerned. smile

Well, mine isn't either, but I still love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    Martijn wrote

Ruffle feathers? How could this ruffle feathers?

I catch your drift, but I wouldn't like hanging around on a forum where it WOULD cause ruffling of feathers.

smile
    Ipso facto, QED and I rest my case.
  7. Martijn wrote
    smile
    Ipso facto, QED and I rest my case.

biggrin
  8. It's beautiful, Martijn. And saying that from a more spirtual side of things.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    MONKEY HANGERS

Monkey Hangers is an "affectionate" term for the inhabitants of Hartlepool, a Northern English coastal town, the name derives from an incident two centuries ago during the Napoleonic wars when a French vessel was shipwrecked on the towns coast, the only survivor was a monkey dressed in a mini uniform, not knowing what a Frenchman looked like the monkey was interrogated, the unfortunate beast was found guilty of being a spy and sentenced to death by hanging, hence the term Monkey Hangers.

TRUE or FALSE ?

smile

TRUE!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    MONKEY HANGERS

Monkey Hangers is an "affectionate" term for the inhabitants of Hartlepool

Not a bit of it.
    In fact, it's well known that the phrase "to carry a monkey on your back" dates back as far as the 17th century, when traders from the east started bringing back different species of small monkeys as pets.

They quickly became in vogue with the jet set, and for a few short years, when you had the money to afford it, you could quite literally "carry a monkey on your back" when on the town.

Obviously this was better suited to the gentlemen than the ladies, what with bijouxed bossoms being of unending fascination to the primates, leading to certain awkward incidents including one particularly embarassing event with the duchess of Essex, Cecille (or "Cee" to her intimate friends), whose ample bossom was abused by especially unhousebroken monkey for a toilet (hence the phrase "monkey Cee, monkey do-do", later misunderstood and abbreviated to "monkey see, monkey do".)

Anyway, as the status monkeys were now exclusively part of a gentleman's attire, special thick jackets were created to be able to carry the creatures without too many mishaps. So when the gentlemen retired for the night, their coats were hung by the manservant on special, sturdy and easy to clean monkey-coat hangers, or "monkey hangers" for short. And that's where the phrase stems from.

The fad was short-lived, but has left a lasting impression on the English language.

So, basically, yeah. It's TRUE.

Brilliant! Why WHY WHY? have you not tried your hand at more TRUE/FALSE.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TRUE - 4

FALSE - 3
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    MONKEY HANGERS

TRUE or FALSE ?

smile

bump

Answer tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Somehow I think I won't be surprised.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2012
    Last chances...
  9. Timmer wrote
    Last chance...

they probably said the same to the monkey back then
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Belgians were invented with Brits? Shit man.

As for your odd story, it must be TRUE!
    Kazoo
  10. Bregt wrote
    Belgians were invented with Brits?

Well, in a way that is true, because our country was create neutral ground between Germany and France, so that the peace would be kept in Europe. If one or the other would invade us the Brits were obliged to come to our defense...
    So yeah, in a way the Britts were partly responsible for creating us.

E.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2012
    As usual I lied, answer tomorrow...............perhaps? wink