• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2012
    plindboe wrote
    It certainly makes sense. Many bars still give out free salted peanuts and such, so there are still remnants of this old business strategy.

Peter smile

Seeing peoples dirty habits in urinals always put me off eating bar snacks.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorutelark
    Wow, interesting, so if you do open a pub, you know what to do!
    Actually I always wanted to open my own traditional English pub in Germany, but it never materialised.
    Mind you I have never been in a pub who gives free stuff.

so here another trivia question, does anyone know how the space between the two rails for railways was determined? I mean how wide they are apart? any ideas? confused
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I haven't the foggiest Ute?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorutelark
    I have heard it is the width of two horses bottoms standing next to each other! and that is true apparently.
    Something you always wanted to know....and just in case it is the million dollar question in "who wants to be a millionaire" Cheers beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    For some reason I doubt I'll ever forget that. biggrin
  1. utelark wrote
    I have heard it is the width of two horses bottoms standing next to each other! and that is true apparently.
    Something you always wanted to know....and just in case it is the million dollar question in "who wants to be a millionaire" Cheers beer

I don't know how they came up with it, but I do know it's not the same width in every country, or at least it used to be like this.
    For instance, Spain had a different width than France.
    Certain trains were equipped with some sort of sliding system to be able to run on both tracks, but mostly they would have to unload the one train and load it into another.

I have it in my mind that that was done deliberatly under Franco (to prohibit too much import) bt I might be mistaken on that one.

Do some of our Spanish members have any insight into this question?
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2012 edited
    I don't know either but I do remember travelling from France into Spain by rail and coming to a station ( I don't remember where now?* ) where we had to change trains due to the different rail gage.

*probably because it was about 5 or 6am in the morning and we had been waken from a groggy uncomfortable sleep.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2012
    Here's the truth of it: nobody knows!
    There seems to be some universal gauge that's roughly around 2 meters in length, found all over the world throughout history (a Jungian collective subconscious thing? Simply the most practical and workable? Were the Gods not cosmonauts, but railwaymen?).

Modern gauges are all derived from that, And any standardisation is simply part of the modern era and international agreements.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I can't believe 'nobody knows'? There must be some record somewhere, we're hardly talking ancient history here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes, we are. It's to do with axle gauge, and that is prehistoric. Train rails gauge are based on those!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm not saying you're wrong Martijn it's just that I'm surprised it's been "lost".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2012 edited
    Forget it. I re-read your post Martijn, my brain seems to still be functioning on last nights alcohol .

Took me a full 14 minutes to comprehend your original post dizzy

>>>shuffles off to somewhere dark >>>shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2012
    plindboe wrote
    It certainly makes sense. Many bars still give out free salted peanuts and such, so there are still remnants of this old business strategy.

Peter smile

I'm sure it works very well.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    True or false: I just won my length in CD's!
    Kazoo
  2. Bregt wrote

If you did, I hope they are all soundtracks...
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    TRUE
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012 edited
    Bregt wrote

Too much information.

...and that was my kind answer devil
  3. Bregt wrote

TRUE, and you're gonna give them to me next wednesday cheesy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2012
    false
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2012 edited
    Correct to those who said my answer is not correct. It was a dream I had that night (I'm serious!). I don't remember how I ended up taking part in the contest. There was just a letter in the mail that said that I won, and that I could choose when I replied. But I didn't knew how tall I was and wasn't able to find out. It drove me crazy. spin

Dreams often have that. Something unreachable for some reason.

Off to the next question!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2012
    Martijn wrote
    TRUE

His act stinks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorutelark
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2012
    Interesting question and interesting answer...
    Who knows why a original blank cd can take 74 minutes of music to be recorded on?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've no idea?
    • CommentAuthorJoshL
    It was to fit Beethoven's 9th, if I recall!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ahhh yes, now that rings a big bell Josh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Somehow I don't think the system revolves around that one symphony.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorJoshL
    http://www.snopes.com/music/media/cdlength.asp
    Snopes is unsure. That was the story that I had heard, and it is documented that the original plan was for a 60 minute disc. So you may be right in that it wasn't just that one symphony (and even in the story, that symphony was just used as an example to sell the greater length). Either way, I can think of a few albums that would have been better had they not felt compelled to fill 70+ minutes!
  4. Doesn't it have to do with the width of the laser?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorutelark
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2012
    You are brilliant guys, yes it has to do with Beethoven's 9th, it is that long and Sony and Phillips decided in 1974 when the CD was invented, to make it big enough so this symphony will fit on .

Beethoven's "Ninth" was heard around the globe. It's way to Japan was probably the oddest: 1918 German prisoners performed it in a Japanese POW camp on home-made instruments. Their Japanese guards listened to and were smitten. The result was a cult, and it was played at an annual performance in Osaka with 10,000 Professional and amateur singers held since 1999.
    The main theme of the last movement, "Ode to Joy", was the temporary national anthem of Kosovo the provisional German national anthem after the second world war, and is the anthem of Europe, of course. Political movements and regimes have used the ninth for their goals and abused, the worst of all the Nazis. It is the most-performed symphonic work of the world. When the CD was invented in 1974, Sony and Philips agreed that a disc has to have at least 74 minutes runtime because the ninth of Beethoven lasts that long.

I just found this interesting, when I heard about it, and how decisions are made.

Ute smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012
    There have been 46 releases in the Marco Polo film series. They have combined sales of over a million copies. True or false.
    Tom