• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    NP: Star Trek: Generations - Dennis McCarthy

Got this last night. Good score; some parts are better than others. I really like the main theme, which appears quite a bit throughout Star Trek Generations Overture and Jumping the Ravine! punk I soon hope to get some of the other Star Trek soundtracks.

Favorite tracks:

1. Star Trek Generations Overture
    10. The Nexus / A Christmas Hug
    11. Jumping the Ravine

Which Star Trek soundtracks do you not have?

Every one except Generations.

Yes, Steven's right. This is the first one I got. I've seen most of the movies, and love the music; I just have not yet gotten around to buying most of the soundtracks.

I see!?

I seriously recommend getting Goldsmith's STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE next,. IMO it's in the top 10 film scores ever written, a work of true magnificence and I know there are others here who agree with me.

Horner's TREK's II & III are also truly worthy great scores and he's rarely been as good since.

All the rest are very good, in fact there's at least one great highlight or more on every score.

Thanks also, Timmer, for the suggestions! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    NP The Simpsons Game (Chris Lennertz)
    Very good overall

Better than the Z-crap?

Hell yeah!
    I almost didn´t remember Zimmer did the (crappy) score for the (even crappier) film.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    TREVOR MORRIS - the tudors

Quite surprising in places, first listen. Any more love for this ?

Here! I quite like it too. It doesn't really make itself known in many places but it's nice background listen material.

Yeah, and very Zimmer influenced.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Very good overall

Better than the Z-crap?

Hell yeah!
    I almost didn´t remember Zimmer did the (crappy) score for the (even crappier) film.

I didn't hate Zimmer's effort and I actually thought the film was one of the best Simpson's episodes I've seen recently.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Man, it put me to sleep. Very, very boring and uninteresting.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008 edited
    Hancock | John Powell

No freakin' way. This came out yesterday. I wouldn't have expected to see it in shops in the UK for at least another month. But I'm in America. And it's in shops today! shocked

Anyway. My hotel is literally a 2 minute drive from Best Buy where I picked this up, and I only managed to get through the first two tracks in that time - so two observations so far:

1. SUV Chase...sounds like Jumper leading into Horton Hears A Who...
    2. John, Meet Ray...Sounds like Kung Fu Panda...

dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Very good overall

Better than the Z-crap?

Hell yeah!

I didn't hate Zimmer's effort

shocked
    I´d put that one in the pile of crappy Zimmer scores, close to Madagascar and most of his earlier efforts.

Erik Woods wrote
    ...and I actually thought the film was one of the best Simpson's episodes I've seen recently

shocked shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    ...and I actually thought the film was one of the best Simpson's episodes I've seen recently

shocked shocked

Admittedly, I gave up on The Simpson's years ago. I can't remember the last time I laughed or really enjoyed a newer episode. But the film made me smile and laugh. It's not the greatest animated comedy out there (Family Guy and South Park did it MUCH better) but at least it was entertaining and funny!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Family Guy and South Park are ages ahead of Simpsons mate, in all aspects. Yeah the simpsons movie had a couple of moments that made you smile but the corresponding movies from the other 2 shows (and even the isolated season episodes) were having me rolling down, laughing my ass off throughout. Now, that's genius. Score-wise, Walter Murphy's and Ron Jones' scores for Family Guy are brilliant, not even comparable to Zimmer's Simpsons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Family Guy and South Park are ages ahead of Simpsons mate, in all aspects. Yeah the simpsons movie had a couple of moments that made you smile but the corresponding movies from the other 2 shows (and even the isolated season episodes) were having me rolling down, laughing my ass off throughout. Now, that's genius. Score-wise, Walter Murphy's and Ron Jones' scores for Family Guy are brilliant, not even comparable to Zimmer's Simpsons.

Alf Clauson towers over all of them!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Alf Clauson towers over all of them!

Yeah, the only music that stands out in Family Guy is when they use John Williams cues. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    NP: Medal of Honor Frontline: Michael Giacchino

This more subdued album (in comparison to the other MOH soundtracks) is easily my favorite of the Medal of Honor scores. The haunting main theme and tracks like "After the Drop," "Manor House Rally" and "Sturmgeist's Armored Train" make this a home run.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Ratatouille - Michael Giacchino

Giacchino magic!! punk Is there any promo version of this or not? There are a few unreleased cues that would be nice to have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP : Ennio Morricone - Mission To Mars

I saw this movie again in HD and it's gorgeous. The visual and the music works like whoah!!!! And the album is good. The string melody is sublime, as sweet and as melancholic as only Ennio can do. That infamous organ cue is curiously hypnotic on CD as well as when accompanying the deliberately paced visuals. The whole score does a great job drawing you into the story and immerses you in the visual experience.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    LSH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Here! I quite like it too. It doesn't really make itself known in many places but it's nice background listen material.

Very HGW inflluenced !
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    LSH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Very HGW inflluenced !

Yeah, it has a choral + strings piece (can't remember the title now, it's amidst the first 3-4 cues on CD) which sound EXACTLY like a passage from HGW's KINGDOM OF HEAVEN. Going to look it up later, it's a perfect example for the copy and paste thread wink
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    LSH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Very HGW inflluenced !

Yeah, it has a choral + strings piece (can't remember the title now, it's amidst the first 3-4 cues on CD) which sound EXACTLY like a passage from HGW's KINGDOM OF HEAVEN. Going to look it up later, it's a perfect example for the copy and paste thread wink

Well, not copy & paste, I don't think so... Just influenced... Like the final track, very Trevor Jones' Last of the Mohicans influenced... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Jaws - John Williams

Creeeeeeeeepy main theme! And equally awesome action music!! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I briefly played:

Progeny and Earth from Gladiator. Man, if only the whole score was like these cues!

Im always shocked with the first half of earth, so gorgeous! Zimmer never wrotte nothing like that before or after this one, and the solo trumplet reminds me to Goldsmith.

I wonder if Zimmer compose this kind of pieces (his most authentically orchestral like Hannibal) with a penn.I hardly can't see the influence of composing with computer in these tracks.

NP:Alien (Goldsmith)

I have to be in a very specific mood to enjoy it, because I feel the Alien stuff very unpleasent music,even with his influences of PLanet of the Apes.

But, of course it is a classic, and I admire Goldsmith to put a so romantic theme in a SCI FIC movie.The Main theme as heard in "landing" is one of the best pieces from Goldsmith (and this is say a lot! )

Wich instrument is played as a "alien" motif?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nautilus wrote
    Progeny and Earth from Gladiator. Man, if only the whole score was like these cues!

Im always shocked with the first half of earth, so gorgeous! Zimmer never wrotte nothing like that before or after this one, and the solo trumplet reminds me to Goldsmith.

I wonder if Zimmer compose this kind of pieces (his most authentically orchestral like Hannibal) with a penn.I hardly can't see the influence of composing with computer in these tracks.

These two cues are definitely nice, but my favourite cue from Gladiator is Am I Not Merciful? The huge LoTR style choir just blows me away every time! shocked

NP: A Bug's Life - Randy Newman

Probably my favourite Randy Newman score till date, followed closely by Cars and Monsters Inc. cool
  3. Nautilus wrote
    I briefly played:

Maybe because the first half of Earth is a Prokofiev rip?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote

Maybe because the first half of Earth is a Prokofiev rip?

Tell me what piece. Until now the major Rip was Secret of Sahara (wich I can't understand if Zimmer knew so well Morricone work how he could compose this piece without being embrassed)
  4. Romance from Prokofiev's score to Lieutenant Kije. Zimmer changed the orchestration a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Romance from Prokofiev's score to Lieutenant Kije. Zimmer changed the orchestration a bit.

I have heard this piece....It seems more The Fountain than Earth. rolleyes

I don't give you this want. spin
  5. You don't give me what?

James Horner - Balto

Revisiting an old friend. Wonderful orchestrations and thematic material. Some of the best animation music I've ever heard. Rumors have it that Don Davis did some ghostwriting or not?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote

James Horner - Balto

Revisiting an old friend. Wonderful orchestrations and thematic material. Some of the best animation music I've ever heard. Rumors have it that Don Davis did some ghostwriting or not?

One of my favourite scores, and very underrated on this forum. It wouldn't surprise me if Davis did write some music for this score, certainly the orchestrations he did has his signature style all over it. I do remember reading once that Davis said he learnt a lot from Horner, so maybe it was Horner who helped him develop that sound in the first place? Either way, this is a brilliant score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Warhawk - Christopher Lennertz

Give this guy some worthy film work!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Soul Of The Ultimate Nation - Howard Shore

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    LSH wrote
    NP: Warhawk - Christopher Lennertz

Give this guy some worthy film work!!!

And ASAP! I want his name in the big screen (not related to a comedy though).
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    NP: Farewell to the King - Basil Poledouris

cool