• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008
    There are some good cues from Cars and Mulan you could add, like Opening Races from Cars (one of the few tracks in which I love the electric guitars) and Avalanche from Mulan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    There are some good cues from Cars and Mulan you could add, like Opening Races from Cars (one of the few tracks in which I love the electric guitars) and Avalanche from Mulan.

But I've already added cues from those scores. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Mate, you added THREE cues from Fields of Freedom. I guess adding just one from each of these two won't be much! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Mate, you added THREE cues from Fields of Freedom. I guess adding just one from each of these two won't be much! wink

Those three cues are one long suite divided into three tracks. Plus I really like Fields Of Freedom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Ok, then, I guess these might fit...

Dueling The Basilisk - HP & the Chamber of Secrets
    Finale - HP & the Prisoner of Azkaban
    Flying Wings Attack - Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow
    Storybook Ending - Enchanted
    The Bridge Of Khazad Dum - LoTR Fellowship of the Ring
    Foundations of Stone - LoTR The Two Towers
    Shieldmaiden of Rohan - LoTR The Return of the King CR
    For Frodo - LoTR The Return of the King CR
    Crack of Doom - LoTR The Return of the King CR

Just my opinions wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    - "Heroes" from Flyboys - Trevor Rabin
    I know, I know, I know... but man, this is one meaty, heroic, ORCHESTRAL action setpiece. Shocked even me.

- My "The Rocketeer" suite or "Rocketeer to the Rescue/End Title" - James Horner
    One of Horner all time greatest works a some great, old fashion swashbuckling heroic music in there.

- "Dar The Hero" from Beastmaster 2 - Robert Folk
    This track contains my second all time favorite heroic theme next to The Raiders March.

- "Evy Kidnapped" from The Mummy Returns - Alan Silvestri
    Contains superb renditions of the O'Connell theme!

- "The Jet Aircraft Facility" from Medal of Honor - Michael Giacchino
    Great rendition of the games heroic main theme

- "Main Theme" from Prince Valiant - Franz Waxman
    One of the Golden Ages best action adventure scores.

- "Willow's Theme" from Willow - James Horner
    'nuff said

- "The Escape" from The Phantom - David Newman
    One of the most underrated action scores out there featuring a glorious heroic main theme which gets a lot of play in this track

Anything from The Sea Hawk - Erich Korngold

- "Main Theme" from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - Michael Kamen

- Anything from CutThroat Island - John Debney
    It's Only Gold would be a fine closing.

- "End Titles" from ID4
    'nuff said

There's plenty more so I'll let others play.

-Erik-

PS - We should transplant our posts to THIS THREAD.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Treasured Island - Nicholas Dodd

Wow, this score's growing on me! shocked biggrin
  1. NP: BRAVEHEART- James Horner

My favourite Horner masterpiece. Incredibly moving music that never fails to bring tears to my eyes. Now listening to my own expanded edit, with music from 'More Music' album added in between the original score cues. This works best for me to experience it like in the movie.

The score opens softly and gently, then increases in intensity as the movie gets more cruel and violent, yet always stays emotional even during the most powerful battle tracks. All power and emotion is finally released during the ending cue called 'Freedom' / The Execution / Bannockburn, which is a real stunner. Incredibly there are no rip-offs (from himself or other composers) in sight for the whole of the score, which is somewhat of a rarity. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Incredibly there are no rip-offs (from himself or other composers) in sight for the whole of the score, which is somewhat of a rarity. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Well, the Braveheart theme is loosely based on "Jupiter" from Holst's The Planets... I think. And I'm sure there are more rips and what not but I'm not that well versed in classical music to find them. As for ripping himself off... nothing really stood out for me. I'm sure others could point them out. Anyway, I love Braveheart. My favorite Horner score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Those three cues are one long suite divided into three tracks. Plus I really like Fields Of Freedom.

Couldn't agree more. You simply CAN'T have a heroic compilation without the brilliance of TREVOR JONES.

n.p. PHILIPE ROMBI - Angel

Spectacular golden-age nods in a gorgeously lush, melodic and grand orchestral masterpiece. One of the most original and outstanding film music works to get released in the last 10 years for sure. I honestly pity the fool who has Powell's latest cr...i mean "Hancock" playing and thinking to himself "PHILIPE WHO?!?" when they read what i wrote just now.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Loch Ness - Trevor Jones

Hearing Trevor Jones' name currently brings into my mind this score at once! It's beautiful! spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote

Hearing Trevor Jones' name currently brings into my mind this score at once! It's beautiful! spin

...stick with it this time! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote

...stick with it this time! dizzy

Glued! cheesy biggrin
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Incredibly there are no rip-offs (from himself or other composers) in sight for the whole of the score, which is somewhat of a rarity. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Well, the Braveheart theme is loosely based on "Jupiter" from Holst's The Planets... I think. And I'm sure there are more rips and what not but I'm not that well versed in classical music to find them. As for ripping himself off... nothing really stood out for me. I'm sure others could point them out. Anyway, I love Braveheart. My favorite Horner score.

-Erik-

I think that it's Bicentennial Man that takes more from Jupiter than Braveheart. The theme though is very similar to one of major themes from Legends of the Fall (To the "Boys" and most notably my favorite dramatic arrangement in Farewell/Descent into Madness). Falkirk is loosely or less loosely based on Prokofiev's Battle on Ice (don't remember the exact title here, it's from one of the Eisenstein scores and I don't want to be murdered for not remembering if it was Ivan ir Nevsky biggrin ). Some people say that the boys choir theme is taken from Casper's Lullaby, but I would challenge Clemmensen to tell me the recording dates to both scores biggrin .

The whole score conventionally is, don't kill me, a Celtic twist on Legends of the Fall - the same type of string arrangements (i. e. both violins playing the main theme an octave from each other), which was invented, indeed, somewhere around Legends or maybe a bit earlier.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. PawelStroinski wrote

The whole score conventionally is, don't kill me, a Celtic twist on Legends of the Fall - the same type of string arrangements (i. e. both violins playing the main theme an octave from each other), which was invented, indeed, somewhere around Legends or maybe a bit earlier.

Aaaah, Legends of the Fall, that other but more popular (at least with the mainstream public) work of brilliance.

And I didn't know about the classical rips, to be honest I practically never listen to classical pieces (except 'The Planets'), that's my father's area of expertise.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Star Trek: Generations - Dennis McCarthy

Got this last night. Good score; some parts are better than others. I really like the main theme, which appears quite a bit throughout Star Trek Generations Overture and Jumping the Ravine! punk I soon hope to get some of the other Star Trek soundtracks.

Favorite tracks:

1. Star Trek Generations Overture
    10. The Nexus / A Christmas Hug
    11. Jumping the Ravine
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    My first post and film score play in over a week and 10 pages ago spin

NP : THE BIG COUNTRY - Jerome Moross

After a week with no film music whatsoever I just had to play a true classic and they rarely come better or more magnificent than this phenomenal work!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote

Got this last night. Good score; some parts are better than others. I really like the main theme, which appears quite a bit throughout Star Trek Generations Overture and Jumping the Ravine! punk I soon hope to get some of the other Star Trek soundtracks.

Favorite tracks:

11. Jumping the Ravine

Which Star Trek soundtracks do you not have?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Favorite tracks:

11. Jumping the Ravine

Every one except Generations.

Welcome back by the way! I watched a bit of Glastonbury on TV, looked fun. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Favorite tracks:

11. Jumping the Ravine

Welcome back by the way! I watched a bit of Glastonbury on TV, looked fun. slant

Thanks Steven beer

Glastonbury was magnificent and made up for for the depressing mud-fest of 2007, I wish I'd put more sunscreen on though, my nose, ears and neck got seriously burnt by the scorching sun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Favorite tracks:

11. Jumping the Ravine

Yes, Steven's right. This is the first one I got. I've seen most of the movies, and love the music; I just have not yet gotten around to buying most of the soundtracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    TheTelmarine wrote

Yes, Steven's right. This is the first one I got. I've seen most of the movies, and love the music; I just have not yet gotten around to buying most of the soundtracks.

Make Star Trek: The Motion Picture your next purchase. Then Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and then Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. All three are magnificent and all three could be considered the best by their respective composers.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Favorite tracks:

11. Jumping the Ravine

I see!?

I seriously recommend getting Goldsmith's STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE next,. IMO it's in the top 10 film scores ever written, a work of true magnificence and I know there are others here who agree with me.

Horner's TREK's II & III are also truly worthy great scores and he's rarely been as good since.

All the rest are very good, in fact there's at least one great highlight or more on every score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP The Simpsons Game (Chris Lennertz)
    Very good overall, but tracks like "Medal of Homer" or "BaRtman Begins 1 & 2" are specially good.
    Now this is a composer I´d love to see attached to projects like The Dark Knight.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    NP: YOUTH WITHOUT YOUTH - Osvaldo Golijov

Outstanding score with some intricate stringwriting (Dr. Rudolph's Dream), as well as that nostalgic feel (Love Lost: Laura). An intelligent and passionate work of which I'm this close at nominating it Best Score Of The Year at the WSA.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TREVOR MORRIS - the tudors

Quite surprising in places, first listen. Any more love for this ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Very good overall

Better than the Z-crap?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Very good overall

Better than the Z-crap?

It's Chris Lennertz... of course it is. wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Christodoulides wrote
    TREVOR MORRIS - the tudors

Quite surprising in places, first listen. Any more love for this ?

Here! I quite like it too. It doesn't really make itself known in many places but it's nice background listen material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Make Star Trek: The Motion Picture your next purchase. Then Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and then Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. All three are magnificent and all three could be considered the best by their respective composers.

-Erik-

Thanks for the suggestions, Erik! beer