• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008 edited
    lp wrote
    NP : Ennio Morricone - Mission To Mars

I saw this movie again in HD and it's gorgeous. The visual and the music works like whoah!!!! And the album is good. The string melody is sublime, as sweet and as melancholic as only Ennio can do. That infamous organ cue is curiously hypnotic on CD as well as when accompanying the deliberately paced visuals. The whole score does a great job drawing you into the story and immerses you in the visual experience.

I'm looking for this one for ages now (why are most Hollywood Records releases out of print? slant )... One of the decade's best scores. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008
    NP:Gladiator (Zimmer)

Let me understand why so people here loves so much this bizarre mix of styles...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Prince of Egypt - Hans Zimmer

I prefer this over Gladiator biggrin
  1. David wrote
    NP: Medal of Honor Frontline: Michael Giacchino

This more subdued album (in comparison to the other MOH soundtracks) is easily my favorite of the Medal of Honor scores. The haunting main theme and tracks like "After the Drop," "Manor House Rally" and "Sturmgeist's Armored Train" make this a home run.

A truly fantastic album that has it all, superbly developed themes, gut wrenching choral tracks and incredible action packed buildups like only Giacchino can write them. It's easily my fave one of all the things he's done. In fact I hoped all his film scores would sound like this, which sadly they don't.

lp wrote

I saw this movie again in HD and it's gorgeous. The visual and the music works like whoah!!!! And the album is good. The string melody is sublime, as sweet and as melancholic as only Ennio can do. That infamous organ cue is curiously hypnotic on CD as well as when accompanying the deliberately paced visuals. The whole score does a great job drawing you into the story and immerses you in the visual experience.

Oh M2M must be something else on blu-ray. The movie has its flaws but at least audiovisually it's a stunner. I love the production design with the various nods to 2001. And what can be said about the music in one word: original. Not exactly what you'd expect from a sci-fi thriller, but that's why I dig it. Some curious tracks actually enhance the mood of the film and make it not the bore-fest it could have been. And how can one not love 'Where?'
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. NP: Flesh and Blood - Basil Poledouris

Almost as good as Conan. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Gladiator (Zimmer)

Let me understand why so people here loves so much this bizarre mix of styles...

No, we're not gonna let you. You're not allowed.
  3. The Dark K...

No, I'm kidding... biggrin

Just the End Credits suite from Batman Begins ! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote

I prefer half of Zimmer's scores over Gladiator tongue

NP: Alexander Vs Horner's Troy Vs Yared's Troy Vs Gladiator.

What do you think? dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    I briefly played:

Progeny and Earth from Gladiator. Man, if only the whole score was like these cues!

Im always shocked with the first half of earth, so gorgeous! Zimmer never wrotte nothing like that before or after this one, and the solo trumplet reminds me to Goldsmith.

I wonder if Zimmer compose this kind of pieces (his most authentically orchestral like Hannibal) with a penn.I hardly can't see the influence of composing with computer in these tracks.

NP:Alien (Goldsmith)

I have to be in a very specific mood to enjoy it, because I feel the Alien stuff very unpleasent music,even with his influences of PLanet of the Apes.

But, of course it is a classic, and I admire Goldsmith to put a so romantic theme in a SCI FIC movie.The Main theme as heard in "landing" is one of the best pieces from Goldsmith (and this is say a lot! )

Wich instrument is played as a "alien" motif?

I'm not sure Jordi, could be a dijeredo ( Digereedoo, Didjeredu....I don't know how it's spelt? )

An instrument called the "serpent"?

The Indian Conch?

All three combined? I'd have to read through the thousands of liner notes dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    DemonStar wrote

What do you think? dizzy

I've not heard Alexander, but out of the other three I would choose Yared's Troy. Big fan of Gladiator so I would put that second, and then of course Horner's Troy in a close third (because I enjoy that score a lot).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nautilus wrote

What do you think? dizzy

Yared's Troy > Gladiator > Alexander > Horner's Troy IMO wink
  4. The Reaping by John Frizzel, not bad orchestral piece, with some gothic tracks
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    The Reaping by John Frizzel, not bad orchestral piece, with some gothic tracks

Underrated IMO. The choral pieces are serious stuff.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    DemonStar wrote

What do you think? dizzy

It's a close thing (especially between the top two) but probably

Horner's Troy > Yared's Troy >> Gladiator >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Alexander

If there's one composer who makes Zimmer seem complex, it's Vangelis.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - Harry Gregson-Williams

A good score, certainly not the best I've heard, but still good.

Favorite tracks:

1. The Blitz, 1940
    2. Evacuating London
    9. To Aslan's Camp
    12. The Battle
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR WARS - John Williams

Beat that! I just can't tolerate any mediocre shite today.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Yay! Themes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote

Aw, not fair! I was just thinking of posting that one! angry biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: A VeggieTales Movie - Kurt Heinecke, etc.

OK, to start off let me say that the actual CD doesn't belong to me, but my little brother. That being said, I can now say that, upon listening, this is one of the most detestable soundtracks I have taken the time to listen all the way through. Of course, it's VeggieTales; what do you expect? The music itself is - OK, I guess, but what bothers me are the incessant little outbursts of dialogue and song from the veggie characters. Very annoying, and all the 'good' tracks on the album are often marred from being a 'great' track - 'great' for VeggieTales, that is; it's all relative - by a simple and unnecessary line of dialogue from Larry or another talking veggie. The OST suffers from who knows what, maybe a bad orchestra, bad recording quality, more cleverly concealed synths, or maybe all three combined. It just doesn't make you want to hear it. Whenever I post in this thread, my "Favorite tracks" are determined by whatever tracks on the particular album received a five star rating from me. In this case, however, there are none. Zilch. Practically every track on the album is affected by the needless dialogue and song, even the best score track of the album, The Sea Medley With Papa's Got a Gumball Nellie. For this rare exception, I have "Great tracks" written instead of "Favorite tracks." I suppose I could call the four star tracks my new "favorite tracks," but the fact is, this album doesn't deserve any praise, IMO. Now I know this album is from a kids' film but, seriously - you'd think they could have done better than this.

Great tracks:

-----
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Marselus wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    The Reaping by John Frizzel, not bad orchestral piece, with some gothic tracks

Underrated IMO. The choral pieces are serious stuff.

I'd love to hear Philip Glass' rejected score (which was recorded).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Angels in America - Thomas Newman

Oh, this is the stuff. Masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've been quite addicted to a lot of Christopher Gordon music lately, particularly his brilliant music for the Rugby Worldcup! As a certain member quite rightly described it, it's perhaps what Conan would have sounded like if John Williams had scored it.

For now...

Sydney: A Story Of A City Christopher Gordon

Magnifico!
  5. Steven wrote
    I've been quite addicted to a lot of Christopher Gordon music lately, particularly his brilliant music for the Rugby Worldcup! As a certain member quite rightly described it, it's perhaps what Conan would have sounded like if John Williams had scored it.

I couldn't agree more with that forum member! Rugby is a great score. (Naturally when they played it on tv, it was hard to hear over the commentators.)

(I love 'Building the Bridge' from the SYDNEY score.)

NP: Beautiful Themes for Oboe and Flute (Delerue)

The new compilation from Disques Cinemusique, following up their compilations for Piano and Guitar and Flute. Seriously, if you like beautiful themes by Delerue, money could not be better spent this year than by purchasing this CD.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Southall wrote
    Angels in America - Thomas Newman

Oh, this is the stuff. Masterpiece.

Totally agree. An amazing piece of work.

NP: Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring: Complete Recordings - Howard Shore

Unbelievably, according to iTunes, it's been almost a year since I last listened to this! I'm just going to sit here and let the notes wash over me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote

I couldn't agree more with that forum member! Rugby is a great score. (Naturally when they played it on tv, it was hard to hear over the commentators.)

(I love 'Building the Bridge' from the SYDNEY score.)

My second favourite track of the score! My favourite has to be 'The City Grows/Adieu' though, I just love it when the electric guitar kicks in amongst the flourish of orchestral prowess! Awesome stuff. Also, the opera singing at the end of that track is beautiful, and I'm not usually a fan of opera singing like that.

(I can't get over how rich his orchestrations are, they give so much depth to the overall sound. Makes we want to throw my copy of Batman Begins in the bin. wink)

The new compilation from Disques Cinemusique, following up their compilations for Piano and Guitar and Flute. Seriously, if you like beautiful themes by Delerue, money could not be better spent this year than by purchasing this CD.

My interest. You have peaked it. lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008
    NP: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Howard Shore

Not my favorite among the The Lord of the Rings scores, but Shore's use of leitmotif still manages to impress me so much that I can safely say this is a truly great score. smile

Favorite tracks:

3. The Riders Of Rohan
    5. The Uruk-Hai
    12. Helm's Deep
    16. Forth Eorlingas
    19. Gollum's Song
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Maybe because the first half of Earth is a Prokofiev rip?

Here we go again.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote

I reviewed the previous one and DCM was going to send me a review copy of this one too but i never told them to go ahead with it 'cause, i don't know, JUST flute and oboe, ONLY? Or are there accompanying instruments as well?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008 edited
    Antineutrino wrote
    lp wrote

I'm looking for this one for ages now (why are most Hollywood Records releases out of print? slant )... One of the decade's best scores. cool

There's a very good reason they stopped releasing it wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    lp wrote

There's a very good reasons they stopped releasing it wink

Oh no he di'nt! shocked