• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    NP: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace - John Williams

An okay score

Holy sweet Jebus, understatement of the century! shocked shocked

LOL biggrin I should of known I would get in trouble for that statement. smile

No kidding. And if there is any of the prequel scores that "sound" like an original trilogy score its this one.

-Erik-

Personally, I think the Revenge of the Sith score sounds much more Star Wars-like than The Phantom Menace score. Though I do think Williams' score suited The Phantom Menace well, I don't even like to be reminded of the fact that The Phantom Menace is a Star Wars movie. It just doesn't seem much like one, IMO. The score feels different as well, I think (though nowhere near as bad as the film). I still like the work; it's just not a favorite.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    ...are great melodies from Zimmer's pen.

Sorry man... had a good chuckle at that line! biggrin

-Erik-

More of a "community" pen... wink
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2008
    justin boggan wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    ...are great melodies from Zimmer's pen.

Sorry man... had a good chuckle at that line! biggrin

-Erik-

More of a "community" pen... wink

What does this look like?
    Is it like a bunch of individual pens hanging from a central node, or is it one giant pen that they all have to hold and fight over what its going to write?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. Feed a man a fish, and he eats for a day.

Teach a man to fish and he eats for life.

Give the man one fish and no pond, and he uses that same blasted fish again & again, and let's his friends bite off it too. Damn fish.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Three Choral Suites Miklós Rózsa (Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops)

Even the starkly non-religious like myself can appreciate the art that has been influenced by it. Including of course Rózsa's fantastic music! Awesome stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2008 edited
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Personally, I think the Revenge of the Sith score sounds much more Star Wars-like than The Phantom Menace score.

Why?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. If I could chip in with an opinion...for me, Star Wars sounds quite different from all the other in the series.

There's something about how the original score sounds that makes it stand out. Subsequent to this first score everything sounds much "fuller": orchestrations seem to be much more complicated and there seems to be fewer instances of small sections of orchestra being allowed to shine.

Perhaps there was more scope for expanding the whole sound of the orchestra but one of the things that will make the original stand out for me from all the others is that with Star Wars the whole sound is lean; Williams is economical with the orchestra and isn't too extravagant...until that is the final battle. And when he "lets rip"...WOW!! He gives hints of what's to come earlier with the "Blasting Off" track and the "TIE Fighter Attack" - but these adrenaline-pumping tracks are quite sparse in their arrangement.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Words of wisdom. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I played :Gladiator Complete (Zimmer)

You know this is not my favourite Zimmer score....

There are 2 scores here: one wich i find annoying (the action stuff and the uncoherent mix of classical oriented stuff with Tribal Stuff) and the other one wich I love: "Progeny", the first Half of "earth" or "to Suchabar " are brilliant and unique in Zimmer's world .

How someone like Erik can enjoy "the battle" or "babarian horde" ?? i can't understand that.

NP:The Incredible Huk (Armstrong)

Enjoying a lot this one after to watch the movie. I noticed the themes, the armstrong style and it worked very dramatically in the context.

Hulk's theme is Armstrong's response to Roar and the happening, and the love theme is touching.

Anyway, very generic all the way.
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Perhaps there was more scope for expanding the whole sound of the orchestra but one of the things that will make the original stand out for me from all the others is that with Star Wars the whole sound is lean; Williams is economical with the orchestra and isn't too extravagant...until that is the final battle. And when he "lets rip"...WOW!! He gives hints of what's to come earlier with the "Blasting Off" track and the "TIE Fighter Attack" - but these adrenaline-pumping tracks are quite sparse in their arrangement.

One of big contrasts for me in the series is between a track like 'Tales of the Force' (where Kenobi tells a young Luke about the Force, his father, Vader and Leia) and the equivalent track from THE PHANTOM MENACE (where Qui-Gon tells Shmi about Anakin's special destiny). As you say, STAR WARS is a lot leaner - you really feel every solo instrument. THE PHANTOM MENACE gets away from that sound with doublings (and occasionally triplings) of parts that makes no one instrument stand out at times. For me it's that kind of intermediate scene scoring (between the action scenes) that really distinguishes STAR WARS from the rest of them, but particularly from the prequels, when Williams' dramatic music had undergone twenty years of development.

NP: Preisner Compilation

This man has written some very fine film music. This has the Kieslowski films, as well as gems like The Secret Garden.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

How someone like Erik can enjoy "the battle" or "babarian horde" ?? i can't understand that.

Besides The Mars rips (errrrrrrrrrrrr! angry ) "The Battle" is a wonderful example of Zimmer building tension. And once we hear that glorious "Gladiator Theme" for the first time... well, its simply wonderful stuff. To my surprise the music words extremely well in the context of the film and doesn't irritate me like other epic Zimmer efforts. The music fit the film like a glove and makes for quite an enjoyable listen on CD.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Chronicles of Narnia - Prince Caspian - Harry Gregson Williams

Having watched the movie, I must say that IMHO the reviews this score got were a bit harsh. It fits very well with the movie and though it borrows a lot from LWW, it's very enjoyable. The new themes by HGW are great, and tracks like Miraz Crowned, Raid On The Castle, Battle at Aslan's How and Return of The Lion are terrific. A shame so much good material was missing. It deserves at least 4 stars out of five.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Incredible Hulk (Armstrong)

Im addicted to Hulk's motif.It's a monster!!! And the Old Fashioned love theme.

And Armstrong's modern use of strings.Wich sounds a little bit like Powell, but we have to remember Armstrongs comes to the pop world, so it's his style too.

Being said that, I really like Elfman's score (Perhaps even more than his "classics" )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote

Being said that, I really like Elfman's score (Perhaps even more than his "classics" )

What are his "classics"? I'd definitely rate it up there with the best of them, I love that score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Finding Nemo - Thomas Newman

I still prefer this over Wall-E (though my opinion might change after I watch the movie wink ) and though it too lacks a strong prominent theme, some themes like the piano-based one in Nemo Egg and Fronds Like These and Dory's theme in several tracks are great, and the music of the sequences leading to, and during, the climax is fantastic, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

What are his "classics"? I'd definitely rate it up there with the best of them, I love that score.

I also rate it very highly, but I certainly didn't at first - I can't now begin to imagine why but I hated it on first hearing it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Scribe wrote
    I absolutely adore Reflections of Earth. It has an uplifting joyousness about it that you rarely hear in modern film music (or music in general, for that matter). I do wish Greenaway would get to score some films...but I think any of the RC guys could write music like that, or even better, if they had the right project. There are just very few films that call for the kind of purely uplifting spirit evident on that CD.

I think it would be interesting if Greenaway would score a Disney movie... when Disney make something as inspiring as their fireworks show wink

NP: The Incredibles - Michael Giacchino
    fun punk
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Aladdin and The King of The Thieves - Mark Watters and Carl Johnson

A pretty underrated score, IMO. It lives up to Alan Menken's classic score to the first movie. Tracks like Wedding - Attack of the Forty Thieves, The Oracle, Aladdin and Cassim Escape, Dark Mountain and The Hand of Midas are awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Melbourne 2006 - Official Music From The Opening Ceremony Christopher Gordon

Absolutely one of my favourite works by any composer! I have a very personal connection with this "score" as I listened to it a lot when I was in California last year and I'll forever associate it with that.

Performance, recording and of course composition. It's all excellent!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Miya wrote
    I know this is not film music, but I want to say something about it tongue

NP: Walt Disney World: Millennium Celebration - Gavin Greenaway

Reflections Of Earth is fantastic from start to finish. I think Greenaway combined "Disney Magic" feeling and cinematic sound nicely. Tapestry Of Nations theme is really addictive, I sometimes find myself humming this tune "weeehla wehlawehla weeehla" biggrin I also love two songs by him. (The last song by someone else is boring...)

So I'm always wondering, why didn't he score any movies yet? He wrote such a great music, and has been working with John Powell and Hans Zimmer for a long time, but still has no his own project? Does anyone know why? confused

I think this is absolutely the best thing that's ever come out of MV/RC. You can tell it's produced by Zimmer because of the fake brass sound but you can also tell it's written by someone who really can compose proper music. The show itself is magnificent and several thousand people watch it every night and I have done on numerous occasions and you always hear loads of people being complimentary about the music. There are rumours that the show is on a ten-year contract and so will be replaced next year - if so, I hope Greenaway is asked to score its successor.
  5. NP: The Upside of Anger (Desplat)

Sensitive drama-comedy score with really good orchestrations. Now there's something you don't get often. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Transformers - Steve Jablonsky

Feeling like basking in RC glory for a while. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Upside of Anger (Desplat)

Sensitive drama-comedy score with really good orchestrations. Now there's something you don't get often. smile

My favorite Desplat score along with Lust, Caution, Birth and Girl with a pearl earring. Pure gold.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Rescuers Down Under - Bruce Broughton

A very fine score by Bruce with nice themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Twister (Mancina)
    When Mancina had a lot to say....sadly, all finished with that score.

The main theme is terrific, the orchestra shines over the electric guitars, and the spirit of the movie is there!

Van Halen piece is mind blowing too!

One MV old school score, that doesn't sounds very much as a MV old School score. spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    NP: Crimson Tide - Hans Zimmer

This was my first Zimmer score, and it's still one of my favorites. I watched the movie last night and even though the main theme is repeated ad nauseum in a multitude of ways, I never get tired of it. Crank up the volume and roll tide!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Twister (Mancina)
    When Mancina had a lot to say....sadly, all finished with that score.

The main theme is terrific, the orchestra shines over the electric guitars, and the spirit of the movie is there!

Van Halen piece is mind blowing too!

One MV old school score, that doesn't sounds very much as a MV old School score. spin

One of my favourites, and one the best MV scores IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Pirates of The Caribbean - Curse of The black Pearl - Klaus Badelt

Fun score for some light listening, despite bad sound editing stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote

One of my least favourites, and one the worst MV scores IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote

One of my least favourites, and one the worst MV scores IMO.

Sometimes i wonder how do we 2 even talk wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.