• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2008
    Atlantis: The Lost Empire - James Newton Howard

My most favorite of those three scores Howard wrote for Disney. It has a rather disappointing start but the second half of the disc is terrific.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Sylvos wrote
    Atlantis: The Lost Empire - James Newton Howard

My most favorite of those three scores Howard wrote for Disney. It has a rather disappointing start but the second half of the disc is terrific.

Personally, I like Dinosaur and Atlantis almost equally but I agree, this is a magnificent JNH score. And thankfully the promo has all the missing hghlights. Deserves 4.5 out of 5 at least.

NP: Brother Bear - Mark Mancina

A fine score that fits very well with the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2008 edited
    NP: Wall-E - Thomas Newman

Just got this, and listening. IMO, it's not as good as Finding Nemo, and also lacked a strong theme, but it was an OK album nevertheless.

Cons - Unlike Nemo, not many tracks actually caught my attention for long; that is, there really wasn't any "Oh wow, now that was something!" stuff. The lack of a prominent main theme and some rather bland, uninteresting stuff in some tracks did feel a bit bad. And the fact that some tracks were only about 10 or 20 seconds long didn't help.

Pros - The signature Newman piano is gorgeous in tracks like 2815 A.D., Bubble Wrap and No Splashing No Diving. The strings in Eve, All That Love's About and Fixing Wall-E (a great highlight) are very beautiful. Action tracks like The Spaceship, Eve Retrieve, Wall-E's Pod Adventure, Rogue Robots and Hyperjump are great.

If the theme had been used more powerfully and some of the tracks been orchestrated a bit better, the album would've been a much nicer experience. And the editing's pretty bad too. Despite all this, I do quite like it, though I personally prefer Finding Nemo over this. This is a nice album to pop into the player to serve as background music while doing something like cleaning the room or doing homework. wink

My rating - ***
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sunset Boulevard: The Classic Film Scores of Franz Waxman Charles Gerhardt and The National Philharmonic Orchestra

A refreshing change from modern mediocrity. (Not to say all modern scores are mediocre and all old scores are masterpieces, but I'm bored of generic, lifeless scores.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Talking about Boulevards...

NP:Hollywood BLVD from Hanckok

beer beer beer beer beer punk punk punk
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    ^

What's Hanckok? rolleyes
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Matt C wrote
    ^

What's Hanckok? rolleyes

He speaks lolcat Matt, don´t forget that tongue
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm listening to preview tracks from Andrew Lockington's recently released score Journey To The Center of The Earth and it's blown me away so far! shocked cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marselus wrote
    Matt C wrote
    ^

What's Hanckok? rolleyes

He speaks lolcat Matt, don´t forget that tongue

LolSpaniards? Could be a new craze.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Superman: The Movie - John Williams (from the FSM blue box Collection)

Still considered by me as one of the essential scores of all time, this one has the trademark classic Williams sound: big, thematic and full of emotion and passion. I love all 2 hours of this tremendous thundering soundtrack which has great sound on the recent release by Film Score Monthly. But why change some of the track names which were cooler on the Warner / Rhino release?

Will start posting here more often.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Miya wrote
    NP: Walt Disney World: Millennium Celebration - Gavin Greenaway

Reflections Of Earth is fantastic from start to finish. I think Greenaway combined "Disney Magic" feeling and cinematic sound nicely. Tapestry Of Nations theme is really addictive, I sometimes find myself humming this tune "weeehla wehlawehla weeehla" biggrin I also love two songs by him. (The last song by someone else is boring...)

So I'm always wondering, why didn't he score any movies yet? He wrote such a great music, and has been working with John Powell and Hans Zimmer for a long time, but still has no his own project? Does anyone know why? confused

I absolutely adore Reflections of Earth. It has an uplifting joyousness about it that you rarely hear in modern film music (or music in general, for that matter). I do wish Greenaway would get to score some films...but I think any of the RC guys could write music like that, or even better, if they had the right project. There are just very few films that call for the kind of purely uplifting spirit evident on that CD.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Conan The Barbarian Basil Poledouris

Finally I have the proper expanded version, and it's bloody great!
  1. Steven wrote
    Conan The Barbarian Basil Poledouris

Finally I have the proper expanded version, and it's bloody great!

punk

A great example of where an expanded version adds so much more to the original limited release.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    DreamTheater wrote
    But why change some of the track names which were cooler on the Warner / Rhino release?

Copyright/legal issues?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: First Knight - Jerry Goldsmith

One of the best epic scores ever! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I briefly played Spirit Stallion of Cimarron.

I love Bryan Adams voice, and Zimmer's tunes. The love theme (very days of thunder-ish) , Here I am, I always returns...are great melodies from Zimmer's penn.

Anyway, Spirit is one of the simpliest scores composeds by Zimmer. and I hardly can enjoy...Only if the orchestra have been more present in the composition as it's in Run free....

NP:The Rock

The best action score ever made????

Well...No. but sure the coolest!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    ...are great melodies from Zimmer's pen.

Sorry man... had a good chuckle at that line! biggrin

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. He did write notes. Zimmer admits to writing a theme on the invitation to HGW's wedding biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    ...are great melodies from Zimmer's pen.

Sorry man... had a good chuckle at that line! biggrin

-Erik-

Hey! Zimmer does use pens... okay they're digital tablet pens... but he still uses them!
    Jeez.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    NP : KING KONG - John Barry

Dare I say this is The best King Kong score?

A film that got a far better score than the film deserved Barry gave this turkey a heart it never had. Superb! cool

The only shame is that FSM were not able to release it in complete form.

The Steiner score is of course the superior one !! I realize the fondness for Barry but?

Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : KING KONG - John Barry

Dare I say this is The best King Kong score?

A film that got a far better score than the film deserved Barry gave this turkey a heart it never had. Superb! cool

The only shame is that FSM were not able to release it in complete form.

The Steiner score is of course the superior one !! I realize the fondness for Barry but?

Tom smile

Hell, you both get to represent your generations, I'll do my part too; James Newton Howard's Kong all the way!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: OUTER LIMITS CD#2...Dominic Frontiere The episode I'm listening to is the Nightmare and features an oscillator. A chamber ensemble features excellent use of the harp, timpani and electric bass.

Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    All things taken into account that is certainly fair. I should go back and listen to the Howard again.

Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace - John Williams

An okay score, not my favorite, but it still has some good spots. I don't feel this is as Star Wars-like as some of the others (e.g. The Empire Strikes Back, Revenge of the Sith, etc.), but as a score apart from the film, it is still pretty good.

Favorite tracks:

1. Star Wars Main Title/Ambush On Coruscant
    2. Duel of the Fates
    3. Anakin's Theme
    5. The Sith Spacecraft/The Droid Battle
    7. The Arrival At Tatooine/The Flag Parade
    9. Anakin Defeats Sebulba
    12. Panaka/The Queen's Protectors
    14. The Droid Invasion/The Appearance of Darth Maul
    17. Augie's Great Municipal Band/End Credits
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    TheTelmarine wrote

An okay score

Holy sweet Jebus, understatement of the century! shocked shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

An okay score

LOL biggrin I should of known I would get in trouble for that statement. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

An okay score

Well... yeah? It's a fantastic score showing magnificent skill for complex orchestral writing far beyond 99.9% of scores produced these days, so when someone says it's 'an okay score', you can see why it would get you 'in trouble'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

An okay score

No kidding. And if there is any of the prequel scores that "sound" like an original trilogy score its this one.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    DreamTheater wrote
    Superman: The Movie - John Williams (from the FSM blue box Collection)
    But why change some of the track names which were cooler on the Warner / Rhino release?

The cue titles on the FSM blue box match those on Williams' original manuscripts and the film's cue sheets (for the most part).
  3. John Powell - Hancock

Decent score. The middle part is a bit too underscore, but the theme is beautiful and last tracks are just MINDBLOWING.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website