• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I recently discovered Beyond Rangoon. I find it a bit repetitive, but quite enjoyable.

Me too. Although enjoyable, i think BADELT'S Rescue Dawn is a HUGE improvement of that sound. And James Horner's Beyond Borders too.

I uhhh....ummmmm.....quite liked Rescue Dawn score.

But of COURSE. It's a surprisingly good and heartfelt score!

The film is good too, even though it's Herzog running on Hollywood gas.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know, i can understand completely the people who don't want to hear that stuff from Elfman, especially if you're not a big Glass fan, like i am wink

n.p. JOHN WILLIAMS - the empires strikes back Symphonic Suite

1980. Symphonic Suite From The Original Motion Picture Score performed by The National Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Charles Gerhardt. punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

1980. Symphonic Suite From The Original Motion Picture Score performed by The National Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Charles Gerhardt. punk

I wrote the following to Demetris in a private conversation so i hope he doesn't mind me repeating myself here.

The sound is incredible on that release. It was one of my very first Williams albums, BTW. The only thing that irritates the snot out of me is the lazy brass performances. Cracked notes all over the place. Besides that, the album contains my favorite arrangement of The Imperial March and of course the one of only two known recordings of the Han and The Princess concert suite.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I recently discovered Beyond Rangoon. I find it a bit repetitive, but quite enjoyable.

Me too. Although enjoyable, i think BADELT'S Rescue Dawn is a HUGE improvement of that sound. And James Horner's Beyond Borders too.

I uhhh....ummmmm.....quite liked Rescue Dawn score.

But of COURSE. It's a surprisingly good and heartfelt score!

The film is good too, even though it's Herzog running on Hollywood gas.

Haven't seen it yet. Any relation to THE THIN RED LINE?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : OUTLAND - Jerry Goldsmith

Underrated IMO, or at least rarely talked about!?

Very true. I will be honest, I skipped over this score to get to Capricorn One. Sadly, I can't tell you much about Outland. I guess I should give it a spin.

-Erik-

It's never going to be a score that's right up there with Goldsmith's great canon of work Erik but it's a thoroughly worthwhile effort featuring a wonderfully ominous main title a gentle love theme and best of all one of JG's most corking action tracks 'Hot Water', a monstrous piece of unfettered fury!

p.s. I believe there was talk that JG didn't solely write 'Hot Water' but I can't remember the exact details!?

'Hot Water' anybody?

NP : A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS - Ennio Morricone

Amongst my earliest introductions to film music cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I wrote the following to Demetris in a private conversation so i hope he doesn't mind me repeating myself here.

The sound is incredible on that release. It was one of my very first Williams albums, BTW. The only thing that irritates the snot out of me is the lazy brass performances. Cracked notes all over the place. Besides that, the album contains my favorite arrangement of The Imperial March and of course the one of only two known recordings of the Han and The Princess concert suite.

-Erik-

I didn´t listen to it in ages. I think it is time again to do so. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Dark Knight

A really interesting listening IMHO, even if I find a very simple on his base ( specially in BB form).

"A Dark Knigh" it's Zimmer coming back to some of his earlier synths, Ala backdraft.
  2. Aurthor Morton wrote a little of the "Outland" score as I recall.

No real difinitive reason is given. One said Goldsmith wasn't available, another said his wife was giving/gave birth, then in an old interview with Horner shortly after the film, Horner said he scored "Outland"; maybe a late-in-the-game replacement score necessitated help from Morton.

The score has two good tracks, but the rest just doesnt' do anything, for me. And there is one tracks that is vastly overrated in the way a few people described it.I sold the GNP CD after copying "Outland" off it, since the CO re-recording is very inferior to the original tracks Intrada released.

Folks at JerryGoldsmithOnline say "Outland" isn't a re-recording.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : OUTLAND - Jerry Goldsmith

p.s. I believe there was talk that JG didn't solely write 'Hot Water' but I can't remember the exact details!?

'Hot Water' anybody?

I've never heard the story so I'm very interested in reading all about it!

*EDIT* Thanks Justin. wink

Still Playing WANTED. After the opening montage there really isn't much to talk about. But once you get to the wicked action track, "Rats," well... what a ride! Those chopping strings and all of the orchestral and electronic elements building on each other. It's an outstanding action cue which basically starts from one idea (chopping strings) and then turns into control chaos with everything seemly going off in different direction but ultimately all playing in perfect sync with each other.... including the melody. Pretty impressive stuff. Elfman really does this kind of music brilliantly! I can see where Powell picked it from for his X-Men score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In the spirit of Steven....

NP: A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS - ENNIO MORRICONE

punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk

this was meant to be directly after Nautilus / Jordi post
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Outland - Jerry Goldsmith

Timmer, how could you miss out on telling us that "The Mine" most definitely influenced James Horner on Wolfen, Star Trek III and Aliens. Those trilling trumpets.

Anyway, atmosphere I think is the key word for this score. But Goldsmith's atmosphere is ten billion times more interesting then some of the stuff we get today. Goldsmith knew how to toy with the orchestra to get some truly haunting and unique sounds. "Early Arrival" could easily be something out of Alien. I love this stuff!!!

-Erik-
  3. Everything "influences" Horner. ;-)

He even influences himself. constantly.

"Oh, I'm getting a big influence. Your influence is giving me an influence."
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    justin boggan wrote
    Everything "influences" Horner. ;-)

He even influences himself. constantly.

"Oh, I'm getting a big influence. Your influence is giving me an influence."

You stole that from South Park. Replace "influence" with "clue" wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I must admit I too have neglected Outland in favour of Capricorn One from the same album. I just listened to 'Hot Water' and it is a great Goldsmith action cue, [old man] they don't make 'em like that anymore! [/old man]
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I must admit I too have neglected Outland in favour of Capricorn One from the same album. I just listened to 'Hot Water' and it is a great Goldsmith action cue, [old man] they don't make 'em like that anymore! [/old man]

Me luv yu kiss cool beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Outland - Jerry Goldsmith

Timmer, how could you miss out on telling us that "The Mine" most definitely influenced James Horner on Wolfen, Star Trek III and Aliens. Those trilling trumpets.

Anyway, atmosphere I think is the key word for this score. But Goldsmith's atmosphere is ten billion times more interesting then some of the stuff we get today. Goldsmith knew how to toy with the orchestra to get some truly haunting and unique sounds. "Early Arrival" could easily be something out of Alien. I love this stuff!!!

-Erik-

'The Mine'...Horner? Dontcha mean Prokofiev!? wink

Lots of Stravinsky'isms in this score too. Glad to get people re-listening to an underappreciated score. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Jesus H. Mary Mother Of All That Is Holy And Great! <-- No idea what that means

"Hot Water" from OUTLAND by Jerry Goldsmith

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF________________________________________K!

Those chirping trumpets and the then at the 3 minute mark those trademark low horn rhythms racing at break neck speed! Killer action cue! And then one minute later Goldsmith picks up the pace even more. Stop or the strings with catch on fire!!!

Thanks for bringing this one up, Timmer.

Timmer wrote

Lots of Stravinsky'isms in this score too. Glad to get people re-listening to an under appreciated score. smile

I have no idea. Again, very limited classical knowledge.

-Erik-
  4. Erik, also listen to "The Airlock". Taht's the second best cue on that score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Nautilus wrote

A really interesting listening IMHO, even if I find a very simple on his base ( specially in BB form).

"A Dark Knigh" it's Zimmer coming back to some of his earlier synths, Ala backdraft.

yeah Jordi, I noticed that too.
  5. It´s happened. They´ve cloned him. Is this the end of the world as we know it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

We're all too high on Goldsmith and Williams to care.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Yeah! Goldsmith Rules! punk

I forgive you...
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's certainly very interesting and well-worked, especially the fugue-esque main theme but Elfman's best in recent years? Nah, i think it's far-stretched. I'd take S.O.P over this any day.

I'll have to give S.O.P. another spin but to me it just doesn't sound like Elfman. It's Elfman channeling Glass. And if someone had said Glass composed it I wouldn't think any differently. I don't mind composers switching it up a bit but not in this way.

-Erik-

Yeah, i'll admit it's TOO Glass-y. But Wanted - a score which at parts sounds too modern or even too RC - in a sideling kind of way, still has that Glass sound in it as well, but in way smaller doses of course.

I'd say that Elfman is very influenced by Glass lately.

Still, S.O.P is a very advanced and well-worked composition.

It's a lot quirkier than it would have been if Glass had done it. I'm a Glass fan from way back, but Glass's music tends not to be as enjoyable as SOP. Electric guitars, pop rhythms, circus music, alto saxophone, electronic percussion, those little trills Elfman does between restatements of the A melody... sure, there's a lot of Glass, but there's only 2-3 tracks that if you'd played them to me, I wouldn't have though they were Elfman.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2008 edited
    NP: "A dark Knight"

The Synthetiser touch makes my mind blow away. It was long time ago since Zimmer used his synth for create landscapes and no only to gave power to the orchestra or suply instruments.

brilliant how Zimmer takes his most aplauded theme from Batman Begins OST, and in a very sutble way he changes the textures with the orchestra and his electronics. BRavo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    It's a lot quirkier than it would have been if Glass had done it. I'm a Glass fan from way back, but Glass's music tends not to be as enjoyable as SOP. Electric guitars, pop rhythms, circus music, alto saxophone, electronic percussion, those little trills Elfman does between restatements of the A melody... sure, there's a lot of Glass, but there's only 2-3 tracks that if you'd played them to me, I wouldn't have though they were Elfman.

I agree with my esteemed colleague. There are clear Glass influences, but it's got Elfman all over it. Wanted, even more so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: "A dark Knight"

The Synthetiser touch makes my mind blow away. It was long time ago since Zimmer used his synth for create landscapes and no only to gave power to the orchestra or suply instruments.

brilliant how Zimmer takes his most aplauded theme from Batman Begins OST, and in a very sutble way he changes the textures with the orchestra and his electronics. BRavo.

There was an applauded theme in Batman Begins? Wow, news to me. And to be able to change the texture of all things! Again, wow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2008 edited
    NP:Helboy 2 (Elfman)

Enjoying it a lot. Even if the main theme is not very clear and his references to PLanet of the Apes (his planet of the apes ) is pretty obvious. The Second Elfman score I enjoy in few weeks! crazy

The action stuff is more listeanble for my ears, than Elfman's usually action stuff, and the softer piano stuff is a welcome to the always over the top Elfman's orchestrations ( even if Lady in the water jumped from The Pool to del Toro's movie tongue )

Herrman's homenage is the best from this score! 7th voyage Simbad or Jason and the Argonauts rules!

Being said that, For Elfman's ego better forget Beltrami's masterpiece...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Porco Rosso (Kurenai no Buta) (soundtrack) - Joe Hisaishi

Every track contains "Hisaishi sound" lick
    The first track is very uplifting and fun!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Erik Woods wrote
    Jesus H. Mary Mother Of All That Is Holy And Great! <-- No idea what that means

"Hot Water" from OUTLAND by Jerry Goldsmith

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF________________________________________K!

Those chirping trumpets and the then at the 3 minute mark those trademark low horn rhythms racing at break neck speed! Killer action cue! And then one minute later Goldsmith picks up the pace even more. Stop or the strings with catch on fire!!!

Thanks for bringing this one up, Timmer.

Timmer wrote

Lots of Stravinsky'isms in this score too. Glad to get people re-listening to an under appreciated score. smile

I have no idea. Again, very limited classical knowledge.

-Erik-

I've been an OUTLAND fan since I first bought the LP back in 83.
    I watched the film again the other week and loved the other unreleased cues!
    Someone bring out the "complete score" please!

NP: Lots of Christopher Gordon!!! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

YEAP! punk cool beer