• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2008
    NP: Air Force One 2 CD - Jerry Golsmith and Joel McNeely

One of my most favourite action scores! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Hi-Lo Country - Carter Burwell

A lovely western score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Lion King - Hans Zimmer

Busa! the orchestral power of Zimmer! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2008 edited
    NP: Lilo & Stitch - Alan Silvestri

This is one of my favorite Disney scores. Action moments are fun, quiet moments are touching. Two Hawaiian songs co-written by Silvestri are also pleasant to listen, especially on a hot day biggrin

But official release is weird. The first score track is from the last scene, the last track is from the opening scene...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Julius Caesar - Miklos Rozsa

Wooooow, this is great! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Cars - Randy Newman

Another great Pixar score by Newman! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Cars - Randy Newman

Another great Pixar score by Newman! punk

Another boring score for this man...Luckily Academy gave an award to this man, and since then He works less biggrin

NP:Hellboy 2

Enjoyable!!!

3 stars out of five.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nautilus wrote
    Another boring score for this man...Luckily Academy gave an award to this man, and since then He works less biggrin

On the contrary I don't find anything boring about this... everything from the theme to the electric guitar are great!

NP: Godzilla complete 2 CD - David Arnold

cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Hancock | John Powell

Finally round to it (although I'm still deaf in one ear). How is this worse than Jumper? It's a hell of a lot better imho. I'll admit the first 3/4 of the album doesn't really have anything new going for it, but it passes quickly with enough interesting moments to keep my attention. And do I hear another theme from Endurance? Didn't we just have that re-hashed in Kung Fu Panda?

Anyway...Hollywood Blvd - best bit of action music I've heard from Powell since Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Nothing since then has really caught my attention until this. LOVE IT!

As for The Moon And The Superhero...I detect a top 10 cue. It's excellent. But there's still the problem of the not-so-original first part of the score which sadly makes up most of the running time. When this score is good, it's great, but when it's just mediocre it's another passable effort. My initial reaction is to give it 3/5. Horton, Panda and Stop Loss are still stronger, but this is a hell of a lot better than Jumper.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Dinosaur - James Newton Howard

Gool ol' JNH stuff that just cannot be forgotten! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    NP: Stardust - Ilan Eshkeri

He's not that much of a stranger to me at least. I mean I heard he was involved in a way with Black Hawk Down and he also scored Hannibal Rising which was very good so when I heard he's attached to Stardust I wasn't like, who is this guy? But I gotta say what he delivered was a big surprise. Not familiar with the movie but the music on the CD is a pleasant listening experience. A perfect entrance to the soundtrack CD biz by Eshkeri, says I.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

NP:Hellboy 2

Enjoyable!!!

3 stars out of five.

It IS fun certainly and in many places, even great but theremin and the trademarked Elfman female choir and vocals? Boo-hooo i want Beltrami! sad
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Spiderman 2 - Danny Elfman

One bombardistic Elfman action score! IMHO this is even better than the first movie's score with greater action, more developed themes and faster pace. Doc Ock's music is especially fantastic and the train fight cue is just priceless IMO.

My rating - ****1/2 out of 5
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Road To Perdition - Thomas Newman

One of the best scores of the decade IMO, and that opening cue is a killer.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Hancock | John Powell

Anyway...Hollywood Blvd - best bit of action music I've heard from Powell since Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Nothing since then has really caught my attention until this. LOVE IT!

Really? Better than the action parts of Bourne Ultimatum, Happy Feet or X3?

Anthony wrote
    Horton, Panda and Stop Loss are still stronger

Totally agree!

Anthony wrote
    but this is a hell of a lot better than Jumper.

It wasn´t very difficult. Jumper is one of laziest efforts by Powell since he started.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: My Neighbor Totoro (soundtrack) - Joe Hisaishi

This was my first soundtrack... when I was 4 or 5. I hadn't listened to it after I've grown up, until I re-discovered how great it is (while listening to StreamingSoundtracks last year wink). From playful melodies to adventurous flight score, from sad "Lost Child" theme to jazzy Catbus music, I love everything.

My favorite track is "Path Of The Wind"... the song version from Image Album is good too.

I love Hisaishi's songs too! Every kids in Japan can sing songs from Totoro and Laputa! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Hancock | John Powell

Really? Better than the action parts of Bourne Ultimatum, Happy Feet or X3?

By miles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    shocked Whatcha drinkin?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I blame his ear infection. No sane person could ever think Hancock is better than those three largely superior scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...also, I just listened to 'Why So Serious?' from The Dark Knight. God it's awful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Miya wrote

But official release is weird. The first score track is from the last scene, the last track is from the opening scene...

And the bad guy motif comes directly from Eraser... craziness!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom John Williams

Godfrickindammit that's better! Going from The Dark Knight to this is probably a little unfair on The Dark Knight... actually, nah, who cares! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    I blame his ear infection. No sane person could ever think Hancock is better than those three largely superior scores.

biggrin
    Get better ASAP Anthony, and then re-listen Hancock.You´ll probably change your mind wink
    (I agree that "Hollywood Blvd" and "The Moon And The Superhero" are good cues though; far from Powell´s best, but good cues).
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote

It's not, but the action writing is. I think we just need to face the fact that we'll probably never get another "Hog Chase" cue. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote

biggrin
    Get better ASAP Anthony, and then re-listen Hancock.You´ll probably change your mind wink
    (I agree that "Hollywood Blvd" and "The Moon And The Superhero" are good cues though; far from Powell´s best, but good cues).

I really like 'The Moon and the Superhero', a nice heroic piece. But nothing to get too excited about, much like the rest of the score.

With X-Men III Powell shows a far better sense of complexity and thematic ability than he does with Hancock, 'Phoenix Rises' beats the crap out of the entire Hancock score ten times over. The Bourne Ultimatum, although it uses a lot of the structure and themes (and cues) of the previous scores, is f*cking awesome IMO, especially in the film. 'Waterloo' and 'Tangiers' are two fantastic action cues, some of the most exciting modern action writing I've ever heard!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote

It's not, but the action writing is. I think we just need to face the fact that we'll probably never get another "Hog Chase" cue. sad

confused
    Come on Anthony, you are too pessimistic regarding Powell lately. As if he was 90 years old! He is 45 yo mate, he has plenty of time to write 20 "Hog Chases"!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote

biggrin

With X-Men III Powell shows a far better sense of complexity and thematic ability than he does with Hancock, 'Phoenix Rises' beats the crap out of the entire Hancock score ten times over. The Bourne Ultimatum, although it uses a lot of the structure and themes (and cues) of the previous scores, is f*cking awesome IMO, especially in the film. 'Waterloo' and 'Tangiers' are two fantastic action cues, some of the most exciting modern action writing I've ever heard!

Nothin more to add, I totally agree, specially regarding what you´ve said about X3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Pirates Of The Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest - Hans Zimmer

Sadly trimmed a lot on the OST, the only tracks I play from this one are Jack Sparrow, The Kraken, Davy Jones, Dinner Is Served, Two Hornpipes, Wheel Of Fortune and Hello Beastie. A shame they left out so many good (I mean really good) cues that deserved to be on the album and filled it with rubbish like the Tiesto Remix stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Erik Woods wrote
    Miya wrote

-Erik-

NP: Amazon clips from Eraser - Alan Silvestri
    Yeah it sounds similar biggrin Maybe director Chris Sanders (he said he's a big fan of Silvestri) asked Alan "Gimme somethnig like Eraser, please?" wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Miya wrote

-Erik-

NP: Amazon clips from Eraser - Alan Silvestri
    Yeah it sounds similar biggrin Maybe director Chris Sanders (he said he's a big fan of Silvestri) asked Alan "Gimme somethnig like Eraser, please?" wink

Now that I'm listening to both closely, I notice that too. Initially I had just taken it for typical Silvestri style stuff tongue

BTW nice user pic, Miya! I love that and the following scenes from TLK biggrin