• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2008
    LSH wrote
    NP: The Lost World: Jurassic Park - John Williams

I'm not a Williams super-fan but this is a pretty awesome score, as many have noted, and probably my favourite out of all his 90's work.

cool

Really! I hope they release completes of both this and Jurassic Park 1.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Harry Potter & The Prisoner Of Azkaban - John Williams

There is some cracking stuff on this album which surpasses everything which came before (and after). Cues like Buckbeak's Flight and Finale are full of emotion and The Whomping Willow And The Snowball Fight is a superb action cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    LSH wrote
    NP: Harry Potter & The Prisoner Of Azkaban - John Williams

There is some cracking stuff on this album which surpasses everything which came before (and after). Cues like Buckbeak's Flight and Finale are full of emotion and The Whomping Willow And The Snowball Fight is a superb action cue.

Totally agreed! This is the best Potter score as of now. Unless of course if Williams is back for Deathly Hallows and delivers some stuff in the vein of Duel Of The Fates biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am thinking of starting a petition to ban the theremin from any future film music production or general music production whatsoever. Forever. biggrin

Why? Howard Shore used it beautifully in SUN: Soul of the Ultimate Nation... and score I mostly hated. If I'm not mistaken, Mark Isham brought it back magnificently in The Black Dahlia. Did Beltrami use it in Hellboy? And in Giacchino's Space Mountain it's the perfect compliment to the score.

There is nothing wrong with the instrument if use properly. I mean, just listen to John Williams' masterpiece, The Fury. I've seen portions of the film (especially the shocking finale) and the theremin is a perfect choice for Gillian's character and her out of control psychic powers. Absolutely creepy shit! Also, Bernard Herrmann's The Day The Earth Stood Still wouldn't be the same without it.

Others film scores that have benifited by the use of the theremin include Spellbound, The Thing (From Another World), and The Red House. And of course you have tips of the cap to the instrument in such films as Ed Wood and Mars Attacks.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, he did:

Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am thinking of starting a petition to ban the theremin from any future film music production or general music production whatsoever. Forever. biggrin

Isham used it well in The Black Dahlia though. lick

wink

(Fecking great score.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Why? Howard Shore used it beautifully in SUN: Soul of the Ultimate Nation... and score I mostly hated. If I'm not mistaken, Mark Isham brought it back magnificently in The Black Dahlia. Did Beltrami use it in Hellboy? And in Giacchino's Space Mountain it's the perfect compliment to the score. There is nothing wrong with the instrument if use properly. I mean, just listen to John Williams' masterpiece, The Fury. I've seen portions of the film (especially the shocking finale) and the theremin is a perfect choice for Gillian's character and her out of control psychic powers. Absolutely creepy shit! Also, Bernard Herrmann's The Day The Earth Stood Still wouldn't be the same without it.

-Erik-

Where would all those cheesy sci-fi 1950's B movies be without te good ol' Theremin cool

And Erik, try and check out THE FURY, one of the best horror films of the 70's IMO smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know, i was kidding. But the echoes of Elfman's theremin in Hellboy 2 are still fresh in my mind, haunting me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    And Erik, try and check out THE FURY, one of the best horror films of the 70's IMO smile

I saw bits and pieces of it on You Tube and I must say it looked like one of the creepiest films I've ever seen. There is something about the production of a good 1970's styled horror film that always creeps me out and is usually vastly superior to any of the generic crap that comes out these days. I also like the "look" of De Palma films so I will have to check it out. Plus, to hear Williams' score in context will be a nice bonus.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    NP: The Incredibles - Michael Giacchino

Great superhero score! I got this today, and am in no way whatsoever disappointed with this! Excellent blend of jazz and plain, old fashioned film score. punk biggrin

Favorite tracks:

1. The Glory Days
    2. Mr. Huph Will See You Now
    4. Bob Vs. the Omnidroid
    6. Life's Incredible Again
    9. Kronos Unveiled
    10. Marital Rescue
    13. 100 Mile Dash
    14. A Whole Family of Supers
    19. The Incredits

It's a great score punk

I love Giacchino's homage to John Barry in 'Kronos Unveiled'....check out You Only Lve Twice and you'll see what I mean.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

I saw bits and pieces of it on You Tube and I must say it looked like one of the creepiest films I've ever seen. There is something about the production of a good 1970's styled horror film that always creeps me out and is usually vastly superior to any of the generic crap that comes out these days. I also like the "look" of De Palma films so I will have to check it out. Plus, to hear Williams' score in context will be a nice bonus.

-Erik-

Agree with you, a lot of todays horror is flashy schlock with buckets of blood, some of them are quite good too but they do seem to lack a certain atmosphere. y'know I just might watch The Fury again this evening smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Ratatouille - Michael Giacchino

I like this one, though I don't think quite as much as I do The Incredibles. Now, a question for all you classical music lovers: is it just me, or is one of the themes (played most prominently in Dinner Rush) from Mahler 6? i couldn't help but picking up large similarities between Dinner Rush and the last movement of Mahler 6.

Favorite tracks:

4. Granny Get Your Gun
    5. 100 Rat Dash
    6. Wall Rat
    8. A Real Gourmet Kitchen
    9. Souped Up
    11. A New Deal
    18. The Paper Chase
    21. Dinner Rush
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote

I like this one, though I don't think quite as much as I do The Incredibles. Now, a question for all you classical music lovers: is it just me, or is one of the themes (played most prominently in Dinner Rush) from Mahler 6? i couldn't help but picking up large similarities between Dinner Rush and the last movement of Mahler 6.

Favorite tracks:

4. Granny Get Your Gun
    5. 100 Rat Dash
    6. Wall Rat
    9. Souped Up
    11. A New Deal
    18. The Paper Chase
    21. Dinner Rush

I haven't heard Ratatouille so can't help you William.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    TheTelmarine wrote

Favorite tracks:

4. Granny Get Your Gun
    5. 100 Rat Dash
    6. Wall Rat
    9. Souped Up
    11. A New Deal
    18. The Paper Chase
    21. Dinner Rush

Wow, I'm surprised things like Collete Shows Him Le Ropes and End Creditouilles aren't in that list! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Favorite tracks:

4. Granny Get Your Gun
    5. 100 Rat Dash
    6. Wall Rat
    9. Souped Up
    11. A New Deal
    18. The Paper Chase
    21. Dinner Rush

Wow, I'm surprised things like Collete Shows Him Le Ropes and End Creditouilles aren't in that list! shocked

Honestly, I just don't like that style as much.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Anthony wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Favorite tracks:

4. Granny Get Your Gun
    5. 100 Rat Dash
    6. Wall Rat
    9. Souped Up
    11. A New Deal
    18. The Paper Chase
    21. Dinner Rush

Honestly, I just don't like that style as much.

Fair play to you sir. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Favorite tracks:

4. Granny Get Your Gun
    5. 100 Rat Dash
    6. Wall Rat
    9. Souped Up
    11. A New Deal
    18. The Paper Chase
    21. Dinner Rush

Just out of curiosity, have you heard Mahler 6?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

shocked

I HIGHLY recommend the film if you haven't seen it, that'll be the best way to appreciate this score before hearing it on album. Film and score alike are a couple of my favourite films and scores - period.

If I could use only one word to describe this score, it would be charming.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

shocked

I HIGHLY recommend the film if you haven't seen it, that'll be the best way to appreciate this score before hearing it on album. Film and score alike are a couple of my favourite films and scores - period.

If I could use only one word to describe this score, it would be charming.

Will do! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Favorite tracks:

4. Granny Get Your Gun
    5. 100 Rat Dash
    6. Wall Rat
    9. Souped Up
    11. A New Deal
    18. The Paper Chase
    21. Dinner Rush

I think I've heard pretty much every work by Mr. Mahler.

I like Mahler a lot but I'm not as passionate about his music as you are.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

heard Ratatouille

Film and score alike are a couple of my favourite films and scores - period.

And Cars is on Sky now. I'll finally be able to complete my Pixar favorites list. Now will Cars beat Nemo, Toy Story and Wall-E... spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Favorite tracks:

4. Granny Get Your Gun
    5. 100 Rat Dash
    6. Wall Rat
    9. Souped Up
    11. A New Deal
    18. The Paper Chase
    21. Dinner Rush

I think I've heard pretty much every work by Mr. Mahler.

I like Mahler a lot but I'm not as passionate about his music as you are.

Ah, OK.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

heard Ratatouille

Film and score alike are a couple of my favourite films and scores - period.

And Cars is on Sky now. I'll finally be able to complete my Pixar favorites list. Now will Cars beat Nemo, Toy Story and Wall-E... spin

I like Cars, it's a fun little film. But it doesn't even scratch the surface of the brilliance of Nemo, Ratatouille and The Incredibles (and Wall-E judging by the reviews).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD - Bernard Herrmann

One of The great fantasy scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Now, a question for all you classical music lovers: is it just me, or is one of the themes (played most prominently in Dinner Rush) from Mahler 6? i couldn't help but picking up large similarities between Dinner Rush and the last movement of Mahler 6.

I don't really know Mahler 6, but I thought Dinner Rush referenced to George Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Now, a question for all you classical music lovers: is it just me, or is one of the themes (played most prominently in Dinner Rush) from Mahler 6? i couldn't help but picking up large similarities between Dinner Rush and the last movement of Mahler 6.

I don't really know Mahler 6, but I thought Dinner Rush referenced to George Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue!

Just pointing out that quote is Telmarine, not me. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Kung Fu Panda - Hans Zimmer and John Powell

My favourite score of the year so far... punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    BobdH wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Maybe you're right, but there's something about Dinner Rush that makes me think of the last movement of Mahler 6. I think the themes may be similar, though it could just be the style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    No idea if this belongs here or in the Non-Score area...

NP: Guild Wars Prophecies - Jeremy Soule

I´m listening to the complete collection here, consisting of the Special Edition score (with bonus tracks), the Battle Pak One, and the Sorrow´s Furnace Pak, all of which can be downloaded on the DirectSong Homepage (besides Sorrows Furnace, that seems to be gone for a while now).

This is a very nice gaming score, totally able to build up a sense of atmosphere and "being there". The tracks that accompany the beauty of the tutorial area especially create such an idyllic sense of peace... well, those who played the game know what happens next...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD - Bernard Herrmann

One of The great fantasy scores.

beer
    Playing it as well!

Followed of Hellboy 2!

Ey! probably my most played elfman score to date!

"The last Elemental" with the piano and chorus is one of the most beautiful pieces from this man, "market trouble" with the electric guitars is cool, and the main theme is decisiously reminiscent to Herrman's Simbad! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    TheTelmarine wrote

Favorite tracks:

4. Granny Get Your Gun
    5. 100 Rat Dash
    6. Wall Rat
    9. Souped Up
    11. A New Deal
    18. The Paper Chase
    21. Dinner Rush

The movie is a true masterpiece. The score is with the Lost thing, Giacchino best composition.

And this octuber, when I will go to Paris (again since my 13 years old) I will play for sure it!

NP:The Hunchback of notredamme and Enchanted (Menken)

"hunchback" is probably the best thing Ever penned by Menken, and very close to be the best animation score if Prince of Egypt and The Lion King was not from Zimmer.

Enchanted, the 3 songs....So addictive and sweet!!! and the movie it's funny!

Im a little bit.....Good Felling mode!