• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Four Gods - Joe Hisaishi

This is a great CD, full of some cracking thematic stuff. Recommended to anyone who's looking for something good to listen to!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Southall wrote
    Papillon - Jerry Goldsmith

One of my top ten favourite scores. Absolutely magnificent.

This is one of those scores that I just haven't connected with - maybe if I listened to the CD then that would help? So I've ordered this from SAE and I'll give it a go. So many learned voices can't all be wrong can they?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    NP Standard Operating Procedure (Danny Elfman)

Wow, what a great surprise from Elfman. As good as some people mentioned a few weeks ago. What a good year so far for Elfman, with this one and Hellboy 2. I´m impressed, I didn´t think I would say this....ever!

Have you heard WANTED as well? That's pretty good too.

Yes; I didn´t like it as much as SOP or Hellboy 2, but as an Elfman score (I´m not his biggest fan) was rather good. Not even close to SOP or Hellboy 2 though.

NP The Dark Knight (those two)
    Giving this one more chances. Some good tracks (Like Dogs Chasing Cars, The Dark Knight) but I still have the impression of a very lazy effort. Oh, and one question: why did Harvey Dent´s theme already appear in Batman Begins (in the movie, I don´t remember if it was in the soundtrack)? confused
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote
    Papillon - Jerry Goldsmith

One of my top ten favourite scores. Absolutely magnificent.

This is one of those scores that I just haven't connected with - maybe if I listened to the CD then that would help? So I've ordered this from SAE and I'll give it a go. So many learned voices can't all be wrong can they?

It's brilliant! One of the earliest JG scores I bought and way before I'd seen the film.

Have you seen the film Alan?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. No, I haven't seen the movie. To be honest, it's not a movie that has appealed to me. Maybe if the music is interesting enough I may catch the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hellboy II - Danny Elfman

Love this. Very fine album.
  4. Southall wrote

Damn! This (and The Dark Knight) is talking so long to ship from SAE. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : STAR WARS : THE PHANTOM MENACE - John Williams

One of the weaker Star Wars scores but it's still far better than the majority of scores out there these days. Of course, Duel of The Fates is one of Wiliams best compositions and I can listen to that particular track over and over and over! cool

I agree! Not my favorite, but still good.

I disagree. It's the best of the prequel scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote

One of the weaker Star Wars scores but it's still far better than the majority of scores out there these days. Of course, Duel of The Fates is one of Wiliams best compositions and I can listen to that particular track over and over and over! cool

-Erik-

What leads you to believe that, Erik?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

I agree with Erik. It's subjective of course, but I personally think it's the best one due to the dynamic recording by Shawn Murphy (though I'm not sure Erik will agree?), the dense and lush orchestrations, the new themes ala Dual Of The Fates, The Droid Army and Anakin's Theme etc., the use of the old themes, and the action material which is much more melodic and less generic than the other two prequel scores. A perfect mix of the old Williams with the new.

The Phantom Menace, to me, just feels like a proper Star Wars score. I love the other two scores for different reasons, but Phantom is by far my favourite of the sequel scores and one of my top scores of all time. Certainly the best score from 1999 that I've heard.

Considering this was your first score, I'm surprised you don't like it more than you do? Pretty much all the scores that I first listened to remain favourites to this day. They were the scores that got me into scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    No, I haven't seen the movie. To be honest, it's not a movie that has appealed to me. Maybe if the music is interesting enough I may catch the movie.

It's a damn fine film with probably Steve McQueen's best performance, a film I've watched many a time.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    No, I haven't seen the movie. To be honest, it's not a movie that has appealed to me. Maybe if the music is interesting enough I may catch the movie.

It's a damn fine film with probably Steve McQueen's best performance, a film I've watched many a time.

It's funny but when I think of Papillon I think of Dustin Hoffman as being the main star rather than McQueen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

I thought we've been over this before.

Steven wrote
    I agree with Erik. It's subjective of course, but I personally think it's the best one due to the dynamic recording by Shawn Murphy (though I'm not sure Erik will agree?), the dense and lush orchestrations, the new themes ala Dual Of The Fates, The Droid Army and Anakin's Theme etc., the use of the old themes, and the action material which is much more melodic and less generic than the other two prequel scores. A perfect mix of the old Williams with the new.

The Phantom Menace, to me, just feels like a proper Star Wars score. I love the other two scores for different reasons, but Phantom is by far my favourite of the sequel scores and one of my top scores of all time. Certainly the best score from 1999 that I've heard.

Bingo! BTW, the recording is one of Shawn Murphy's finest. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

Damn! This (and The Dark Knight) is talking so long to ship from SAE. sad

Well - if you behave yourself then I may play you some of it this weekend. (Not The Dark Knight though, on moral grounds.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

You think it's best because it's the most Star Wars-like (in your opinion)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wall-E - Thomas Newman

My appreciation for this one continues to grow. The year's best so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

Including EVERYTHING else Steven said. But one key factor is that it "sounds" and "feels" like a Star Wars score. Everything in the Star Wars formula is there and more.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Wall-E - Thomas Newman

My appreciation for this one continues to grow. The year's best so far.

One of the best... I'll agree with you on that.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

Including EVERYTHING else Steven said. But one key factor is that it "sounds" and "feels" like a Star Wars score. Everything in the Star Wars formula is there and more.

-Erik-

And by "feels like a Star Wars score" I assume you mean it "feels" like the original Star Wars film scores. And this is why you dread the score for The Clone Wars, because it doesn't "feel" like those Star Wars scores. Actually though, I'm starting to like and even enjoy the sound of The Clone Wars, as Kiner's score actually seems to fit with the visuals, from what I've seen so far. John Williams is good, but Kiner's music may actually be the perfect match for this film and series. In an interview with Kiner, he says that George wanted a much more ethnic, exotic feel to this score. This does make sense, as the characters are traveling outward to new worlds throughout the entire time period that The Clone Wars takes us through. Why must the far reaches of the galaxy still sound exactly like what we've heard before?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well for most it's not really a matter of where in the Star Wars universe the characters happen to be, but rather that it's the Star Wars universe in the first place. John Williams has created the musical identity of this universe that everyone has come to know and love for more than 30 years. Changing it, to me, seems a little foolish. Even if Kiner's score is an enjoyable listen in its own right. (I haven't heard it, so I can't comment.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I guess you could argue that George Lucas's 'get out of jail free' card for wanting and using different styles of music is the fact that he sets the Star Wars universe in our own thanks to those immortal words at the beginning of each Star Wars films. But I would say that he's kidding himself (or anyone who might use this argument in favour for using a non-Williamsesque style approach to scoring a Star Wars film) since they really are just words at the beginning of the film, and the films themselves are unequivocally set in another universe, the Star Wars universe. Just my thoughts on the matter there. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

It's funny but when I think of Papillon I think of Dustin Hoffman as being the main star rather than McQueen.

Well, if you'd seen it you'd know it was more a McQueen film, though Hoffman's role is substantial he is a more secondary character.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008
    Never seen the film, but I love the score. Shockingly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    I guess you could argue that George Lucas's 'get out of jail free' card for wanting and using different styles of music is the fact that he sets the Star Wars universe in our own thanks to those immortal words at the beginning of each Star Wars films. But I would say that he's kidding himself (or anyone who might use this argument in favour for using a non-Williamsesque style approach to scoring a Star Wars film) since they really are just words at the beginning of the film, and the films themselves are unequivocally set in another universe, the Star Wars universe. Just my thoughts on the matter there. smile

I've got to agree with you there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    Well for most it's not really a matter of where in the Star Wars universe the characters happen to be, but rather that it's the Star Wars universe in the first place. John Williams has created the musical identity of this universe that everyone has come to know and love for more than 30 years. Changing it, to me, seems a little foolish. Even if Kiner's score is an enjoyable listen in its own right. (I haven't heard it, so I can't comment.)

Good point... But, as I have constantly stated to Erik, this Star Wars is different. It looks different, feels different, so why shouldn't it sound different, as well?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008 edited
    NP: Rescuers Down Under - Bruce Broughton

I'm in Disney mood thanks to DamonStar's Guess The Score game (actually I'm in Disney mood on about 3 days/week). Viva Mickey Mousing! biggrin

But this is really great score, I think even anti-Disney score lovers can enjoy it! (especially first 4 tracks and End Credits) wink
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote

Good point... But, as I have constantly stated to Erik, this Star Wars is different. It looks different, feels different, so why shouldn't it sound different, as well?

True. To be honest, they could use RnB music in this new film, it wouldn't make a difference to me either way since I won't be watching it. I'm sure Kiner's score will work just fine and, as you say, probably makes sense. (But if I were making a Star Wars film, it would make more sense to me personally to have a Williamsesque score with Williams' themes.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote

True. To be honest, they could use RnB music in this new film, it wouldn't make a difference to me either way since I won't be watching it. I'm sure Kiner's score will work just fine and, as you say, probably makes sense. (But if I were making a Star Wars film, it would make more sense to me personally to have a Williamsesque score with Williams' themes.)

Yes, I see what you mean. As I think about it, there wouldn't be anything wrong if a Williams-esque score were used for The Clone Wars. I can't deny that Williams' Star Wars is good, and is - and still always will be - Star Wars. But I don't think it is an inherently bad idea to use a more modern Kiner's score for the film. I think if Williams had been hired to score The Clone Wars, he could still do wonders with it, but I feel Kiner can also deliver a good score; after all, all composers who were interested in scoring it auditioned by scoring ten minutes out of the film, then showing or sending the audition to George. Kiner won, and I do think that certainly stands in his favor of delivering a good or even great score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Marselus wrote
    Oh, and one question: why did Harvey Dent´s theme already appear in Batman Begins (in the movie, I don´t remember if it was in the soundtrack)? confused

It was in the track Myotis briefly, played on strings. Dunno why though... tongue

NP: Whispers - An Elephant's Tale (promo) - Trevor Rabin

Discovered this lately. Love the Lion King-esque ethnic vocals and drums!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    I'm in Disney mood thanks to DamonStar's Guess The Score game

"DamonStar"?? Makes me think of a "PythiasStar"... dizzy