• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik's Indiana Jones show, hour 2, suite 2. This is the first time I've heard the Desert Chase outside of the film. I LOVE your website, Erik.

Christopher
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Brainstorm - James Horner

Great! Just went past the first Capricorn One rip, but this one really is a very fine score, very similar to the best parts of Aliens and his Star Trek music.

good...But....too many rip offs from Aliens and Project X. but a more agressive kind of Horner score wich I really like.

Then you should be bitching about the Brainstorm rips off in Aliens and Project X NOT the other way around. Brainstorm was released in 1983. Aliens was released in 1986. Project X in 1987.

-Erik-

Flip! Erik's straightened out Southall! shocked wink

I think it's hard to realise just how fresh and exciting Horner's sound was then without being a part of it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    Anthony wrote
    ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE | DAVID ARNOLD

confused

The David Arnold/Propellerheads AWESOME cover of the main theme. The CD I've got has the full 9 minute version (including the epic SPACE MARCH (even though this isn't OHMSS)), a 3 minute radio edit, and the original orchestra recording. Just imagine big-ass David Arnold style orchestra mixed with Backseat Driver (from Tomorrow Never Dies), and it's exactly what you get with this. punk

It IS a corking version!

I would credit it more like this though....

ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - JOHN BARRY, Nicholas Dodd, Propellerheads, David Arnold

tongue wink

By the way, 'Space March' is from Barry's YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE and is blended in excellently.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

Great! Just went past the first Capricorn One rip, but this one really is a very fine score, very similar to the best parts of Aliens and his Star Trek music.

good...But....too many rip offs from Aliens and Project X. but a more agressive kind of Horner score wich I really like.

Then you should be bitching about the Brainstorm rips off in Aliens and Project X NOT the other way around. Brainstorm was released in 1983. Aliens was released in 1986. Project X in 1987.

-Erik-

Flip! Erik's straightened out Southall! shocked wink

I think it's hard to realise just how fresh and exciting Horner's sound was then without being a part of it.

you bet ya, at that time Horner's music was feisty, rhythmic, exhilerating. The Horner nowadays has left that path I'm affraid sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

Indeed (I mentioned the scores just to provide a point-of-reference - Brainstorm is the one where the genesis of so much of Horner's sound began).

The big rip-offs in Project X are the absolutely shameless Blue Max references by the way. Even Brian Tyler might think for a couple of seconds before ripping someone's music off in such a blatant way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    By the way, it's interesting in the Brainstorm liner notes to read from the director that "Music is, I believe, the most powerful single force at work in a film. It can direct and control one's emotional response to images so amazingly and with such precision, that whatever I can do as a filmmaker is radically enhanced by the power of the musical score." I'm sure that most of us agree with that, and it's the very reason we love film music in the first place. I just wish they said that sort of thing at film school because there aren't many directors around at the moment who would sympathise with the view in even the vaguest way (check out the film at number one at the box office at the moment for an example).
  3. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Atham wrote
    NP: Sydney : The Story Of A City - Christopher Gordon

Love this music! Thought I'd play it since I'll be in Sydney for the next 3 days. punk

When (not if) I visit Australia, that and his music for the Melbourne Olympics are the two scores I'm going to play first! Probably when the plane lands or something. It's gonna be awesome. cool

Not ROLF HARRIS!? shocked wink

Well obviously Rolf Harris, give me some credit. Jeez. rolleyes

biggrin cool

I'd love to go back to Australia, Sydney is one of The geat cities, hey, it even has a mono-rail which made me think I was in the future wink

I must say that this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone, visitor or native, citing the monorail as one of our greatest virtues. cool

NP: The Adjuster and other scores (Danna)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Southall wrote
    I just wish they said that sort of thing at film school because there aren't many directors around at the moment who would sympathise with the view in even the vaguest way (check out the film at number one at the box office at the moment for an example).

We do! We do! It's those bloody other teachers and film critics who give it a bad name...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: The Mission - Ennio Morricone

All of a sudden, all is well with the world. In a career littered with exceptional works, this one might just be the creme de la creme. Wow. It just doesn't get any better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2008
    christopher wrote
    Erik's Indiana Jones show, hour 2, suite 2. This is the first time I've heard the Desert Chase outside of the film. I LOVE your website, Erik.

Christopher

First of all, thanks for tuning in. I'm working on a new "This Just In" program as I write this.

Secondly, I'm absolutely thrilled and honoured that I was the one to introduce you to the greatest action cue of all time. Brings a tear to the eye.

Anyway, glad you are enjoying the program!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2008 edited
    NP: Kikujiro no Natsu - Hisaishi Joe

"Pleasant" is the best word to describe this score. It's well-known here (once it was used in a car TV commercial), probably more than the movie itself... biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  5. NP: 'Letters from Iwo Jima' (Kyle Eastwood and Michael...?)

My ipod shuffle has landed on this track. It's a very attractive, heartfelt melody. Which goes to show how melodic writing is simply the starting point of film composition, as the unvaried overuse of this melody in the film destroyed my appreciation both of the melody and made the film seem to go on forever.

Next ipod shuffle cue: "It was a wonderful time in our lives" from The Sweet Hereafter (Danna) - a brilliant score by Danna, this cue highlighting the use of the medieval ensemble Toronto Consort.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HAUNTED SUMMER - Christopher Young

Not played this for a long time, very enjoyable score that I bought without having heard a note because of the incredibly attractive cover. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    By the way, it's interesting in the Brainstorm liner notes to read from the director that "Music is, I believe, the most powerful single force at work in a film. It can direct and control one's emotional response to images so amazingly and with such precision, that whatever I can do as a filmmaker is radically enhanced by the power of the musical score." I'm sure that most of us agree with that, and it's the very reason we love film music in the first place. I just wish they said that sort of thing at film school because there aren't many directors around at the moment who would sympathise with the view in even the vaguest way (check out the film at number one at the box office at the moment for an example).

And all that written about the BRAINSTORM score? wink biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Cold Mountain - Gabriel Yared

Very nice!! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Cold Mountain - Gabriel Yared

Very nice!! biggrin

What a gorgeous score. I shamefully remember how i disliked it at first, when i heard it for the first time through the movie. Maybe because i am not the movie's biggest fan or due to bad representation of the music, in the movie, but i remember i was very stunned when i gave it several listens on CD afterwards; I couldn't believe it was the very score i previously talked bad about!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

Have you heard it!? Nothing written this year or last is as good, that's for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    NP: Tears of the Sun - Hans Zimmer

Every time I finish listening to this score I ask myself, "Is there even a single chance that I give this one another spin?" and though the obvious answer is a big NO at that time, I still listen to this at least once or twice a year. The vocal tracks are quite good but the overall experience although sort of memorable is not really enjoyable for me.

Favorite tracks are the second part of "Kopano" (track 6), the action music that kicks in around 2:29 in "Cameroon Border Post" (track 9) and the end credits cue (track 10).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Da Vinci Code - Hans Zimmer

Reading the book along with listening to this!! biggrin Can't wait for Angels and Demons!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Judge Dredd - Alan Silvestri

Now that's some real Silvestri action stuff!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Edge Jerry Goldsmith

It makes even typing letters seem exciting. I love this score, and I love it in the movie too. Thanks to a certain somebody for this one. beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The Edge Jerry Goldsmith

It makes even typing letters seem exciting. I love this score, and I love it in the movie too. Thanks to a certain somebody for this one. beer

I like the bits with the bear cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote

Reading the book along with listening to this!! biggrin Can't wait for Angels and Demons!!!

The book is very badly written but there's no doubt it's a real 'page turner', I read it in an afternoon. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

The book is very badly written but there's no doubt it's a real 'page turner', I read it in an afternoon. smile

LOL lol
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

Have you heard it!? Nothing written this year or last is as good, that's for sure.

And then some.

BRAINSTORM is a FANTASTIC score. FACT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: An Unfinished Life - Christopher Young

I'd love to know why this score was rejected because it's absolutely lovely! Soothing and emotional, this is a score to rival even The Shipping News in its quality. Gorgeous.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Cocoon - James Horner

Back in 1995 I use to visit the James Horner shrine a lot and go over a list of extremely rare Horner scores. Stuff like Krull and Gorky Park were on the list. Also on this list was Cocoon which was also described as being one of Horner's all time best. Horner’s all time best out of print? I have to hear this… some how.

Now, at the time, I had a very, VERY limited budget (flipping burgers can only really pay for one maybe two new releases every two weeks) so the possibility of ever hearing this one on CD seemed unlikely. Fortunately, I met a good hearted person on one of the film music message boards who said they would kindly make me cassette copies of all the rare Horner scores that I wanted. Stuff like Willow, Krull, Brainstorm, and now Cocoon would finally be heard in my very own room coming from my very own stereo. It was an exciting day when the package arrived with all of these great Horner gems. I tell ya, I wore those tapes out.

Cut to a few years later and the announcement that PEG was going to re-release the score on CD again for the rest of us who didn’t have a change to purchase the original to enjoy. The day I got a call from Tower Records letting me know that my CD order had come in was a particularly exciting one. Along with Cocoon I managed to grab a copy of Brainstorm and Field of Dreams. Those old Toronto record shops were awesome... especially from some one who wasn't use to seeing an entire floor dedicated to just film music.

Anyway, hearing Cocoon in crystal quality sound was yet another scorgasmic experience. And the ability to quickly shuffle between my favorite tracks was a nice bonus... although with a score like Cocoon you only need to skip one track; that awful 80's pop tune "Gravity" performed by Michael Sembello.

Fast forward to the present day and I'm now listening to this album on my computer with 3000 other soundtracks staring down at me from my basement wall. The reason I bring up the huge number of my collection is that back in 1995 I only had 70-80 albums.... which were all purchased using my hard earned McDonald's money. Now I receive most of my soundtracks for free because of my radio show. Now, some might think that's a blessing, and for the most part it is. But there is a part of me that misses those special days where you plan a day to go to the big city, raid the soundtrack sections and find those gems that you don't have. Now I have almost everything I would ever want to own. I mean, I finally got my Elmer Bernstein Rejected Scores box set in the mail today... and I while I'm happy to have this very special release in my hands it still doesn't beat going to the record store and having that unexpected surprise when you see that special CD on the shelf that you always wanted staring back at you. And then picking up that CD from the shelf, holding it in your hands, getting those chills up and down your spine that "Yes, I finally found it!" and for the rest of the day anticipating the first moments of listening to that score when you finally get home. All the free CD’s in the world can’t replicate that experience.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded story but it beats something like...

NP: Cocoon - James Horner

punk

But you know what, Cocoon is a damn fine score and is still one of Horner's all time best.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Couldn't agree more with your sentiments. I too miss those days where I was continuously on the look out for soundtrack Holy Grails, and whenever I would get one, it felt like Christmas had arrived early! Now, I pretty much have most of my Holy Grails and, on the spot, it's hard to think of scores I really really MUST have. Which, as you say, is a blessing, but a little part of that magic about being a score collector is gone. This is why many of the first scores I bought on CD (and remember from childhood) tend to remain my favourite to this day.

I think the last time I felt that "magic" of receiving a Holy Grail was when I received Arnold's Godzilla score through the post. Not a Holy Grail to all, but to me it was one of the best score purchases I'd ever made!

(Still, this isn't a complaint. More of a general reminiscing.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Titanic - James Horner

Aside from the (*clears throat* BAD) synth choir, I love this score. Very beautiful, emotional and nostalgic and the "traditional" musics are awesome!! punk
  6. Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

I haven't heard it. Does it sound like anything else he's....oh wait. Let me rephrase: which of his other scores does it resemble? Willow is pretty much my only exposure to early Horner, and Brainstorm, if I'm remembering right, predates that by a bit.