• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008
    NP: Sydney : The Story Of A City - Christopher Gordon

Love this music! Thought I'd play it since I'll be in Sydney for the next 3 days. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Atlantis: The Lost Empire - James Newton Howard

Fantastic adventure score. Please go back to Disney James!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008 edited
    Atham wrote

Love this music! Thought I'd play it since I'll be in Sydney for the next 3 days. punk

When (not if) I visit Australia, that and his music for the Melbourne Olympics are the two scores I'm going to play first! Probably when the plane lands or something. It's gonna be awesome. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    LSH wrote

punk

Agreed, terrific stuff!! punk

NP: King Kong - James Newton Howard

But this one rocks even more IMO!! beer
  1. Atham wrote

Welcome to Australia's greatest city. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    franz_conrad wrote
    Atham wrote

Welcome to Australia's greatest city. biggrin

Next to Adelaide of course! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Atham wrote

When (not if) I visit Australia, that and his music for the Melbourne Olympics are the two scores I'm going to play first! Probably when the plane lands or something. It's gonna be awesome. cool

Not ROLF HARRIS!? shocked wink

NP : MARCO POLO - Ennio Morricone

No need for me to mention how good this one is, it's been talked about enough. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Atham wrote

Well obviously Rolf Harris, give me some credit. Jeez. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    DemonStar wrote
    Miya wrote
    I'm in Disney mood thanks to DamonStar's Guess The Score game

"DamonStar"?? Makes me think of a "PythiasStar"... dizzy

oops sorry. "Damon" and "demon" a for a Japanese dizzy
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Atham wrote

Well obviously Rolf Harris, give me some credit. Jeez. rolleyes

biggrin cool

I'd love to go back to Australia, Sydney is one of The geat cities, hey, it even has a mono-rail which made me think I was in the future wink

Given a choice though, I'd plump for a return to New Zealand.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Miya wrote
    I'm in Disney mood thanks to DamonStar's Guess The Score game

"DamonStar"?? Makes me think of a "PythiasStar"... dizzy

LOL biggrin

NP: Tombstone - Bruce Broughton

Awesome!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote
    Well for most it's not really a matter of where in the Star Wars universe the characters happen to be, but rather that it's the Star Wars universe in the first place. John Williams has created the musical identity of this universe that everyone has come to know and love for more than 30 years. Changing it, to me, seems a little foolish. Even if Kiner's score is an enjoyable listen in its own right. (I haven't heard it, so I can't comment.)

Good point... But, as I have constantly stated to Erik, this Star Wars is different. It looks different, feels different, so why shouldn't it sound different, as well?

The only difference between this and the Clone Wars cartoon that came before it is that it is CGI and the original Clone Wars series was traditional animation. Besides that the TV series and new film are the same style, the same universe, the same characters, etc. And if you listen to James Venable's scores for the Clone Wars he uses the John Williams Sar Wars blueprint. While he scores are mostly rendered using synths it still sounds like a STAR WARS score. I don't mind adding additional instruments and elements for new characters and locations but the hard rock music inspired music heard in the samples is just plain wrong.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : some nameless compilation cassette tape - Various Artists

A very old cassette tape I did years ago, there's no track listing anymore but it would be easy enough if I decide the tape is indespensable, depends if there's anything worth keeping that I don't already have? All the tracks were recorded from LP and have so far included a little slection of Barry's The Last Valley, Goldsmith's Masada, The Wind And The Lion, and Ernest Gold's fantastic theme for Exodus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote
    Well for most it's not really a matter of where in the Star Wars universe the characters happen to be, but rather that it's the Star Wars universe in the first place. John Williams has created the musical identity of this universe that everyone has come to know and love for more than 30 years. Changing it, to me, seems a little foolish. Even if Kiner's score is an enjoyable listen in its own right. (I haven't heard it, so I can't comment.)

Good point... But, as I have constantly stated to Erik, this Star Wars is different. It looks different, feels different, so why shouldn't it sound different, as well?

The only difference between this and the Clone Wars cartoon that came before it is that it is CGI and the original Clone Wars series was traditional animation. Besides that the TV series and new film are the same style, the same universe, the same characters, etc. And if you listen to James Venable's scores for the Clone Wars he uses the John Williams Sar Wars blueprint. While he scores are mostly rendered using synths it still sounds like a STAR WARS score. I don't mind adding additional instruments and elements for new characters and locations but the hard rock music inspired music heard in the samples is just plain wrong.

-Erik-

I honestly am not much a fan of Venable's Clone Wars. I actually think I may like Kiner's better than his, though much of it may be solely based on sound and performance (live orchestra vs. synths).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : some nameless compilation cassette tape - Various Artists

A very old cassette tape I did years ago, there's no track listing anymore but it would be easy enough if I decide the tape is indespensable, depends if there's anything worth keeping that I don't already have? All the tracks were recorded from LP and have so far included a little slection of Barry's The Last Valley, Goldsmith's Masada, The Wind And The Lion, and Ernest Gold's fantastic theme for Exodus.

Side 2 is more fantasy orientated with selections from Barry's The Black Hole & Moonraker, Goldsmith's Star Trek TMP, Horner's Brainstorm & Krull and it all works surprisingly well together.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Escape From Fort Bravo...Jeff Alexander. Of the five films in the latest Blah Western Scores from M-G-M this is the best of them. However, I've never seen the movie.

Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    DemonStar wrote
    Miya wrote

LOL biggrin

wow. I thought I wrote "Damon" and "demon" sound similar for a Japanese, but some words are missing... My brain is boiled because of today's hot weather dizzy

NP: Nothing.
    But I was watching Ice Age 2 again, so I'm humming Mini-Sloths Song all day long... aaahhh aa aaah a ahhh spin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP:The Dark Knight
    First listen.I'll tell you what I think later! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Lost Season 3 (Giacchino)

One of my all time favourite albums.

And of course, the most listenable of the three.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote

A great album indeed, and I definitely agree it's the most listenable of the three. See, sometimes we can agree!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

A great album indeed, and I definitely agree it's the most listenable of the three. See, sometimes we can agree!

Disc two is certainly not very listenable. It's downright dull for the most part. Disc one, I would agree, is very listenable. If the purpose of disc two was to show that Lost has great, film-quality scoring then I would say it was a definite failure. It's a curiosity which may be of interest to Lost fanatics, but surely nobody else.

http://www.movie-wave.net/titles/lost3.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    NP : MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE - Gabriel Yared

Really lovely smile

Coincidentally, I heard this score yesterday, too. Gorgeous theme!!!!!

Just on par with his beautiful score to Autumn In New York.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    LSH wrote

punk

After Treasure Planet, I don't think he should, unless they'll let him do another Dinosaur/Atlantis again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Why are you blaming Kiner for following the demand of Lucas to have a modern Black Hawk Down type score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Mission To Mars

I don't know what I can say about this score that hadn't already been said.

Hmmmm, how about...... This score turned the movie's beautiful visuals into pure poetry. There! That's something new.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Why are you blaming Kiner for following the demand of Lucas to have a modern Black Hawk Down type score?

Is he really blaming Kiner? He's just saying he doesn't like the approach, not that Kiner is responsible for it.

For me... Star Wars is frequently credited as ushering in a new era of orchestral scoring to Hollywood after a period where it had been out of fashion. I don't know if I actually agree with that, even though it is so commonly stated that it has become axiomatic - but if even a Star Wars project is receiving the modern blueprint of drama-free wallpaper, that's almost like the final closing of the book on that period.

NP: Hellboy II - Danny Elfman

Really, really like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Dark Knight (Hans and James)

wow...I really like the 2 notes batman's motif! I didn't like it in the first score, but with this more powerful recorded orchestra and percusion is really cool!

Specially in the beggining of "agressive expansion" and in the last minutes of " A Dark knight".

Talking about " a Dark Knight"...Im addicted to this combination of : Zimmerish Adagio, Peacemaker Brass, The Ring creepy string crescendos and Regarding henry Mind Blowing Synthetisers....

Just wow!
  2. listening to

Meet Dave by John Debney

So far this proves that Thomas has it right, because I'm listening to these tracks like sands through a hourglas tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Great Debaters - James Newton Howard

A extremely pleasant and inoffensive score, full of soft soothing passages featuring piano, guitar, woodwinds and warm strings. A nice background listen.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    NP: Mission To Mars

I don't know what I can say about this score that hadn't already been said.

Hmmmm, how about...... This score turned the movie's beautiful visuals into pure poetry. There! That's something new.

It's an excellent score! punk

NP : BRAINSTORM - James Horner

After hearing a bit of this on an old cassette this afternoon I just had to give the CD a workout. This is an awe-inspiring work, Horner really was the "second coming" when this was released. cool