• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2008
    NP: Porco Rosso - Joe Hisaishi

shocked

no... it's not first listen... but each time I listen to this score, I like it more and more.

Does anyone here love it? If you enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle, I think you will like it too (actually I prefer Porco Rosso to Howl...)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Atham wrote
    Marselus wrote
    NP 20.000 Leagues Under the Sea (John Scott)
    shocked
    Impressive symphonic score full of nice themes and a sense of old school kinda scoring. I recently discovered John Scott and I´ve already become a great fan. Can´t wait to listen to the rest of his work.

John Scott is wonderful! I enjoy all his scores.

Agree! And even a greater human being as I felt in Úbeda this year.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Predator Alan Silvestri

Ahh, back when Silvestri was awesome. He's still good now, don't get me wrong, but no 90's or 00's Silvestri score beats Back To The Future, this and The Abyss (for me). (Though Contact and perhaps Judge Dredd stand up well against these three scores.)

How things change, I once had Silvestri mentally noted as 'composer not worth bothering with' due to scores like Clan Of The Cave Bear and Romancing The Stone, So Back To The Future was a real WTF moment for me when I first saw the film ( with only two score tracks on the "soundtrack" album ). You do KNOW that PREDATOR 2 is a BETTER score than Predator though don't you!? wink

Maybe it's because I hadn't bought any Silvesti albums for a long time but I absolutly love Beowulf.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    You do KNOW that PREDATOR 2 is a BETTER score than Predator though don't you!? wink

No, I didn't know that. biggrin

(Though I do agree Beowulf is a pretty awesome score. Not a masterpiece, but very enjoyable. cool )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : EXECUTIVE DECISION - Jerry Goldsmith

This is 'scoring by numbers' for Mr. Goldsmith and pretty typical of his 90's action scoring ( Air Force One, Chain Reaction ), it's still good though I won't be returning to it in a hurry when there are so many far greater scores I can play by this terribly missed and brilliant composer.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE DA VINCI CODE - Hans Zimmer

There's no denying that this is a lovely chill out listen cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

It could probably be edited into a lovely chill out listen, but there's some overbearing (in the movie) scary shit too. (I like the Goldsmith references.)

Fine album, but a poor choice of approach as a film score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

It could probably be edited into a lovely chill out listen, but there's some overbearing (in the movie) scary shit too. (I like the Goldsmith references.)

Fine album, but a poor choice of approach as a film score.

I totally agree, I honestly didn't think it worked well in the film at all.

p.s. one of the Goldsmith references sounds akin to his The Boys From Brazil.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: King Kong - James Newton Howard

Something to get the blood flowing before I hit the gym.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    NP : Mr Holland's Opus - Michael Opus

Very nice. A good effort from Mr Kamen. He has a great string sound that is hard to not love. One of his more classically inspired work beside his awesome score for The Three Musketeers. And Cole's Tune is very pretty.

I love this score and it should have received an Academy Award nomination.

-Erik-

The movie itself is quite good and got lots of positive reviews when it came out. I think Richard Dreyfus got an Oscar for his role too, right? Kamen's score worked really well in the movie too as well as on album. It's a definite shame that he didn't get a nomination.

No, Dreyfus wasn't nominated. But I agree... the movie is good... really good!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. NP: 'Laisurius' from BATMAN BEGINS

I always liked this track. I was disappointed that nowhere in all the tragedy of the second film was there occasion to return to it. (But the theme didn't actually appear in the first film either...)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones - John Williams

While in my opinion not the strongest of the Star Wars scores, the score to Attack of the Clones is still pretty darn good. Love Pledge and the Arena is fantastic! punk

Favorite tracks:

1. Star Wars Main Title and Ambush On Coruscant
    2. Across the Stars (Love Theme from Star Wars: Episode II)
    3. Zam the Assassin and the Chase Through Coruscant
    12. Love Pledge and the Arena
    13. Confrontation With Count Dooku and Finale
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: A Bug's Life - Randy Newman

Great fun!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    TheTelmarine wrote

While in my opinion not the strongest of the Star Wars scores, the score to Attack of the Clones is still pretty darn good. Love Pledge and the Arena is fantastic! punk

Favorite tracks:

See... skip the crap in the middle of the album and that's all you are really left with. 5 solid cues... well, 4 really because the Finale is just the love theme repeated.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    NP: King Kong - James Newton Howard

Something to get the blood flowing before I hit the gym.

I've been meaning to hit the gym for Months now but some ailment always get's in the way....bad shoulder, knee etc. I did actually damage my foot last week lifting weights....I wasn't even using them, just moving them to storage shame rolleyes

Anyway.....

NP : FINAL FANTASY - Elliot Goldenthal

Big, muscular scoring rarely comes more glorious than this cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    ...the Finale is just the love theme repeated.

Good point. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Lord of The Rings - The Fellowship of The Ring - Howard Shore

Only playing today one of my most favourite tracks of all time - The Bridge of Khazad Dum!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    Only playing today one of my most favourite tracks of all time - The Bridge of Khazad Dum!! punk

The Bridge Of Khazad Dum is a great track! Just curious, are you listening to the Complete Recordings version? Or the regular release?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    TheTelmarine wrote
    DemonStar wrote

The Bridge Of Khazad Dum is a great track! Just curious, are you listening to the Complete Recordings version? Or the regular release?

The regular release. IMHO this track on the Complete Recordings is a bit overlong... the regular album version is a better experience for me! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    DemonStar wrote

The regular release. IMHO this track on the Complete Recordings is a bit overlong... the regular album version is a better experience for me! wink

I wouldn't know, as I only have the regular release... which is fine by me, as it still sounds great! punk smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    TheTelmarine wrote
    I wouldn't know, as I only have the regular release... which is fine by me, as it still sounds great! punk smile

It sounds the best out of the two, believe me! wink biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    DemonStar wrote

As much as I'd love to own the complete recordings I'm quite happy with the regular releases, mine are those coloured leather bound editions.

The complete scores are just too much to listen through.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    The complete scores are just too much to listen through.

The first two maybe, but personally I love every track of the RoTK CR!! biggrin

NP: Enchanted - Alan Menken

Terrific! What a track Storybook Ending is!! shocked

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    I did actually damage my foot last week lifting weights....I wasn't even using them, just moving them to storage shame rolleyes

Hahaha. Sorry Tim, but this is....funny tongue (hope you didn´t hurt badly though wink ). Anyway,

NP Shogun Mayeda (John Scott)
    Still in a Scott mood. Man does this composer know how to write addictive main themes or what! Here is another one. And then the whole score, OMG!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Kung Fu Panda - Hans Zimmer and John Powell

My favourite score of the year so far.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I did actually damage my foot last week lifting weights....I wasn't even using them, just moving them to storage shame rolleyes

Hahaha. Sorry Tim, but this is....funny tongue (hope you didn´t hurt badly though wink ). Anyway,

NP Shogun Mayeda (John Scott)
    Still in a Scott mood. Man does this composer know how to write addictive main themes or what! Here is another one. And then the whole score, OMG!

Nah! I'm healing nicely but my pride is still dented. wink

NP : THE DARK CRYSTAL - Trevor Jones

Fantastic fantasy score! cool
  2. TheTelmarine wrote

Favorite tracks:

Those are the exact same tracks I would qualify as being excellent. The other stuff in between is typical new style Williams filler cues, good but nothing exceptional. Where is the time when Williams could write totally brilliant filler cues? Seems like such a long time ago...

Timmer wrote

NP : FINAL FANTASY - Elliot Goldenthal

Big, muscular scoring rarely comes more glorious than this cool

Best thing Goldenthal's ever done. This one had an astonishing amount of melodic material compared to his other less accessible works.

Is he working on anything ATM?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm sure he was working on some Opera? I'm sure D or someone better informed can tell you. He seems to be semi-retired from film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DreamTheater wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Favorite tracks:

Those are the exact same tracks I would qualify as being excellent. The other stuff in between is typical new style Williams filler cues, good but nothing exceptional. Where is the time when Williams could write totally brilliant filler cues? Seems like such a long time ago...

Yeah, I really think I like the older Williams better than the new... Not to say the new isn't anything good; he is still a great composer, but there has just been such a big stylistic change from the '70s and '80s to now...
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Kung Fu Panda - Hans Zimmer and John Powell

My favourite score of the year so far.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but the album as a whole is a great listen.