• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. This is funny, because to me 'Chevalliers de Sangreal' was actually music from BATMAN BEGINS with a choir and soprano over it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2008
    Was Playing: Finding Nemo - Thomas Newman

I can understand why it's appreciated as a good movie (well-developed story, characters, dialogues...), but somehow I still can't enjoy it so much, even after I saw it 3 times. I don't know why. confused So I hadn't cared about this score until recently...

When I saw the movie I thought score was nice, but after listening to it on album, now I can say it's great! Nemo Egg theme is very touching, I want to hear it more. First Day is my favorite track, and The Turtle Lope is fun to listen. I also like many other tracks, but I can't remember which... Too many tracks dizzy

NP: My Neighbor Totoro - Joe Hisaishi

This is my childhood.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Miya wrote

This is my childhood.

And what a great childhood that is. All of the Ghibli films and Joe Hisaishi scores are great.

NP: Kung Fu Panda - Hans Zimmer and John Powell

I really like this score. Anything that sounds overly Asian or overly John Powell/Hans Zimmer is something I will love. This has both!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    This is funny, because to me 'Chevalliers de Sangreal' was actually music from BATMAN BEGINS with a choir and soprano over it.

Ah yes, you would be correct. Begins did come before Da Vinci. Hummmmmm...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    This is funny, because to me 'Chevalliers de Sangreal' was actually music from BATMAN BEGINS with a choir and soprano over it.

I'm sure you and Eric would want to think so. rolleyes
  2. lp wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Strange thing is, I preferred it in Batman Begins, unlike Erik.

NP: The Thin Red Line (Zimmer) - complete, with some sound FX

Sounds like a rear channel rip with some filters passed over it, so some of the music's range is lost. Not the best way to listen to a score, but a solid reminder that much of the score's great material is nowhere to be seen on album. Zimmer's masterpiece, with nice use of classical references (Ives 'Unanswered Question', Faure's 'Requiem', Part's 'Annum per annum') and spiritual music traditional music (the Polynesian hymns, the American hymn 'Christian Race', the use of Tibetan bowls and bells).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    franz_conrad wrote
    lp wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Strange thing is, I preferred it in Batman Begins, unlike Erik.

NP: The Thin Red Line (Zimmer) - complete, with some sound FX

Sounds like a rear channel rip with some filters passed over it, so some of the music's range is lost. Not the best way to listen to a score, but a solid reminder that much of the score's great material is nowhere to be seen on album. Zimmer's masterpiece, with nice use of classical references (Ives 'Unanswered Question', Faure's 'Requiem', Part's 'Annum per annum') and spiritual music traditional music (the Polynesian hymns, the American hymn 'Christian Race', the use of Tibetan bowls and bells).

....and the two (at least) versions of the orchestral arrangement of one of the Polynesian Hymns (there´s a 58 seconds version at the end of the movie specially moving that I always wished it had been more developed). I think that arrangement was Badelt´s work though, if I remember correctly. Anyway is one of the most beautiful themes of the whole score.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh dear. It's not often I feel embarrassed to post what I'm listening to, in light of the previous post, but still..

Rent-a-Cop - Jerry Goldsmith

This is one of the few Goldsmith scores which aren't represented on The World's Longest Jerry Goldsmith Compilation which we listened to at last night's maintitles gathering. Nice main theme. But rather cheesy. Not one of Jerry's finest hours.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    Rent-a-Cop - Jerry Goldsmith

This is one of the few Goldsmith scores which aren't represented on The World's Longest Jerry Goldsmith Compilation which we listened to at last night's maintitles gathering. Nice main theme. But rather cheesy. Not one of Jerry's finest hours.

Explain!

Edit: Oh don't worry. I forgot it was the weekend of the 26th. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Casi Divas (Hans Zimmer and Co.) - in the film

I don´t know how Zimmer became involved with this Mexican film, but the score is a small one by Zimmer and his usual suspects when its about a small ensemble (you know, Heitor Pereira, Martin Tillman, Lorne Balfe, Ryeland Allison, etc).
    Guitar/piano driven, a bit (just a bit) Powellish at some points and with a theme amusingly True Romance-ish. Functional but nothing specially intetresting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Is the movie any good?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Prince of Egypt - Hans Zimmer

punk punk punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Is the movie any good?

It´s ok, nothing more. Too bad they don´t go deeper in the more dramatic parts, but it´s a comedy after all. Much better than most of the american films of the same style though. At least curious and interesting to see an A composer of Hollywood working in a little mexican film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Lagaan (DVD Rip w/ SFX) - A.R. Rahman

As with 99% of Indian movies this excellent score has gotten no score release at all, except two short tracks on the OST. A real shame, seeing what a beautiful score this is, and so I am even tolerating the horrendous amount of SFX in this terrible DVD rip I found. The themes are excellent and the brass-based tense tracks are so well developed that they're among the best I've heard. And what a gorgeous cello!! Just listen to this track - http://www.zshare.net/audio/16060058e1df46b7/

My rating for the music - punk punk punk punk punk

My rating for this DVD rip - vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I'm in a nightmare mood.

So I have heard...

In dreams (One of Goldenthal's best scores..)

The Dark Knight ( Dead man's chest was one of the worst Zimmer score, AWE one of his bests. Batman begins was one of his worst scores, The Dark Knight is one of his most interesting experiences....)

NP:Lost Season 3.

It was hard to surpass his 2 previous score, but he did it!!!

Im in love with Kate , Juliett and The Island (wich for me is heard in Juliett is lost ) theme!
  3. NP: La Mepris / Contempt (Delerue)

Powerful but short score. The film has all the music it needs, which turns out to be only 14 minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2008
    Nautilus wrote

The Dark Knight ( Dead man's chest was one of the worst Zimmer score, AWE one of his bests. Batman begins was one of his worst scores, The Dark Knight is one of his most interesting experiences....)

Really curious about those statements of yours Jordi. The Dark Knight is heavily based on BATMAN BEGINS and at places very similar and the same goes for AWE in relation to DEAD MAN'S CHEST.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Really curious about those statements of yours Jordi. The Dark Knight is heavily based on BATMAN BEGINS and at places very similar and the same goes for AWE in relation to DEAD MAN'S CHEST.

Really, yeah. Personally I like all the scores mentioned, though I agree AWE and TDK are much better than their prequels. But I don't think DMC or BB were bad at all, I like both of them a lot,
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I accept the comparation about the batman's ones, but not the pirates ones. Because Awe is a diferent approach.

Anyway.....

Really??? Because If DMC and AWE are similar, then Why you hate one and love the other one?

So...Do you see ???? You can hate one score and love the other one even if they had a similar sound.

[b]NP:Hellboy 2 (Elfman)[/b]

anther contradoctory thing.

I find a unfocused score. without the thamatic elements well devoloped, with a bizarre mix of styles, and some typical Elfman sound.

But I enjoy it very much!!!

I can play the second track again and again.....agressive and addictive!!! beer beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Mummy Returns (2 CD) - Alan Silvestri

punk punk punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Hellboy 2 - Elfman

I really like it! I'm still a bigger fan of Beltrami's score for Hellboy but Elfman has done just fine here.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Reign Of Fire - Edward Shearmur

Man, I love this sort of aggressive, fiery action music. This is angry stuff! Brilliant.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Panthera wrote
    Miya wrote

This is my childhood.

And what a great childhood that is. All of the Ghibli films and Joe Hisaishi scores are great.

For my generation who grow up with Ghibli films, he's as important as John Williams... or maybe more. wink

I'm looking forward to Ponyo... probably I can go to see it next month. (but I have to see Kung Fu Panda first, because I got free tickets biggrin )

NP: Forrest Gump - Alan Silvestri

So beautiful. I love piano in You're No Different.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2008 edited
    Marselus wrote

I don´t know how Zimmer became involved with this Mexican film, but the score is a small one by Zimmer and his usual suspects when its about a small ensemble (you know, Heitor Pereira, Martin Tillman, Lorne Balfe, Ryeland Allison, etc).
    Guitar/piano driven, a bit (just a bit) Powellish at some points and with a theme amusingly True Romance-ish. Functional but nothing specially intetresting.

Guitar/piano driven... is it something like Spanglish? Or The Holiday? If so, I wanna hear it lick

btw, has these articles been posted on this forum? I found them a few months ago... I needed Google translator though
    http://efectossecundarios.blogspot.com/ … tines.html
    http://efectossecundarios.blogspot.com/ … onica.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Miya wrote
    Marselus wrote

Guitar/piano driven... is it something like Spanglish? Or The Holiday? If so, I wanna hear it lick

Casi Divas is a much more simple score than the two you mention. And there´s no much music in the film (maybe 25 minutes or so). Spanglish or The Holiday are more thematic and rich musically.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Mummy 3 (Edelman)

Edelman with his mix of orchestra and synth....and one of the most ridicolous heroic themes i ever heard ( in a bad way, not like an old fashioned homenage)

Anyway, it's interesting enough to sustain half of his lenght.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: X-Files: I Want to Believe - Mark Snow

A much more consistent (and romantic) album than the first film's score. There's still some of those electronic dissonance and synths for the darker aspects of the film (such as "Moonrise" in the film's opening sequence), but there's also some hefty, aggressive action setpieces. A very solid album, well worth checking out.

Justin Boggan will eat this up, particularly the excellent "Trip to D.C." and "Home Again" cues.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Matt C wrote
    NP: X-Files: I Want to Believe - Mark Snow

Justin Boggan will eat this up, particularly the excellent "Trip to D.C." and "Home Again" cues.

We're all very happy for him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2008 edited
    NP: X-Men 3: The Last Stand - John Powell

punkpunkpunkpunkpunk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: X-Men 3: The Last Stand - John Powell

punkpunkpunkpunkpunk

It's a good score but I would give it punk punk punk smile

( I just wanted to try out the new scoring system )

NP : TOTAL RECALL - Jerry Goldsmith

Now this is punk punk punk punk punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt