• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008
    NP: Hook (Concorde 2 CD) - John Williams

What a swashbuckler!! AMAZING!!!! spin punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Matt C wrote
    Steven wrote
    Shit.

What's with you this week? First off, your snide remark about XF-2 and now this. angry

OOhhhh, X-Files 2. I wish people would bother to write the full titles rather than all these acronyms. Definitely an American habit I think. dizzy biggrin

It was only snide if you take it too seriously, it was just a little dig... not even at you! wave

Frida Elliot Goldenthal

I saw Erik playing this one a couple of days ago, and realised I hadn't listened to it for a long time. It does make a nice album, one to put on in the background and imagine yourself in Mexico.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Road to Perdition - Thomas Newman

Liking this one a lot! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Matt C wrote
    Steven wrote
    Shit.

What's with you this week? First off, your snide remark about XF-2 and now this. angry

OOhhhh, X-Files 2. I wish people would bother to write the full titles rather than all these acronyms. Definitely an American habit I think. dizzy biggrin

More like a habit of the lazy wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Matt C wrote
    Steven wrote
    S.

WWYTW? FO, YSRAXF-2ANT. angry

O, XF-2. IWPWBTWTFTRTATA. DAAHIT. dizzy biggrin

MLAHOTL wink

Very true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    NP: Mummy 3 - Rand Edelman

So, what do we have here?
    Ethnic elements? Check!
    Choir? Well, it's mixed very low but still, check!
    err... full orchestra? Yep, it's there and I can say for certain now that it's big! Regrettably the sound quality is not that good to fully enjoy it.

It's not a bad listening experience at all. In fact it's better than what those samples at Play.com suggest and I do think it is one of Edelman's better score in the recent years yet it's no way as good Goldsmith and Silvestri's takes, not even close to them in fact. It's interesting but not exciting. Bombastic but not fantastic. A relatively good adventure score but not really fitting in the mummy franchise in my humble opinions. A 75 minutes release is way too long and unnecessary for this. A 40-45 one would have been sufficient.

I don't have a favorite track but in general I like the emperor/mummy's theme best. A version of it can be heard from the film's website at the moment.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Matt C wrote
    Steven wrote
    Shit.

More like a habit of the lazy wink

It's not too annoying but I wish people would title scores correctly, I have no problem with using an acronym as reference, for example, if I write On Her Majesty's Secret Service I don't want to have to keep writing that out when I can just refer to it as OHMSS.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    NP: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Ennio Morricone punk

Funny, my daughter just said 'Hey, that's when Timon and Simba eat the snails!' confused
    So, I just checked YouTube if the music was used for that (horrible) Lion King sequel and it was indeed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D5Gj7Wk … re=related biggrin

Although it would have been much better if she had said while watching that movie 'Hey mom, that's The Good, the Bad and the Ugly by Ennio Morricone!', I'm still quite proud and hopeful that she has an ear for film music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Mummy 3 - Randy Edelman

Just got it and listening. Like others mentioned earlier, it's nowhere as good as Goldsmith and Silvestri's previous scores, nowhere close as a matter of fact. But not bad either. In fact, I feel this is gonna be his best work after Dragonheart. I am liking the ethnic stuff so far. Will post more after I finish listening to the last few tracks left.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Admittedly I've only really skimmed through the album, so I'm not that familiar with it as yet. But what I have gathered from my skimming is this, as you say, is not a scratch on Silvestri's and particularly Goldsmith's scores. This is the reason I'm so dismayed by the whole thing, it should be a lot better, it should have been at least on a similiar level to Silvestri's music.

If it wasn't called The Mummy [3], then my reaction to it would be a lot more favourable. Sounds unfair perhaps, but to go from Goldsmith's magnificence to this is a massive disappointment, especially when there is a vast amount of talent out there capable of writing a score that could stand up well against Goldsmith's score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    It definitely had a lot of potential, yeah. I feel a composer like Howard Shore would've delivered much better. I think Edelman's score, while good, might offer a nice fitting underscore for the movie but while it's a pretty entertaining listen on CD, it's not a memorable experience like the first two scores. And yes, the release is a bit overlong IMO. They give overlong releases to scores like this and overshort releases to great scores like The Lion King... tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The Mummy 3 theme also reminds me a bit of the theme from Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow, especially towards the end. It's nice, but I don't think it fits with the tone of the film. The themes from the first two films fit excellently IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    DemonStar wrote
    I feel a composer like Howard Shore would've delivered much better.

Shore? Na'h... That dude should stick with Middle-Earth and other classy flicks where his true talent is required. What the Mummy franchise needs is bombast and that is where David Arnold comes to my mind, as long as Al Silvestri is unavailable with an acceptable excuse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Who knows? Shore's definitely good at ethnic stuff. But yeah, as far as action is concerned David Arnold is a great choice... and of course Zimmer too. wink Will see how David does it with Narnia 3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Admittedly I've only really skimmed through the album, so I'm not that familiar with it as yet. But what I have gathered from my skimming is this, as you say, is not a scratch on Silvestri's and particularly Goldsmith's scores. This is the reason I'm so dismayed by the whole thing, it should be a lot better, it should have been at least on a similiar level to Silvestri's music.

If it wasn't called The Mummy [3], then my reaction to it would be a lot more favourable. Sounds unfair perhaps, but to go from Goldsmith's magnificence to this is a massive disappointment, especially when there is a vast amount of talent out there capable of writing a score that could stand up well against Goldsmith's score.

What saddens me is that we are lately "forced" to be satisfied with "not bad", "ok-ish" scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Christodoulides wrote
    What saddens me is that we are lately "forced" to be satisfied with "not bad", "ok-ish" scores.

There hasn't been many wowing films either, imho. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith

Now THIS is something!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sylvos wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Dunno about that, I've been quite impressed with a lot of the mainstream and non-mainstream films this year, and there's still quite a few I'm looking forward to. It's quite rare that I look forward to much these days! Honestly, film-wise, I've been quite impressed this year. Score-wise it's been better than last year too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Paycheck John Powell

Since I'm surrounded by potential future film music fans (me being the film music missionary I am), someone asked me what Powell score I would recommend to them taking into consideration they are a fan of HGW's game music and general stuff (i.e. crap) like that. I think I done maded a good choice here. cool

My rating: cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Paycheck John Powell

Since I'm surrounded by potential future film music fans (me being the film music missionary I am), someone asked me what Powell score I would recommend to them taking into consideration they are a fan of HGW's game music and general stuff (i.e. crap) like that. I think I done maded a good choice here. cool

Great choice. One of Powell´s best efforts.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Paycheck John Powell

Great choice. One of Powell´s best efforts.

Damn right. Most certainly in the top 5.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP The X Files - I Want to Believe (Mark Snow)
    As it´s been said, this is so much better than the first one. The dramatic parts are really good, and if you are a fan of the TV show (as I am) you can hear hints here and there of its music, more orchestral, but here they are. Good effort by Snow!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sylvos wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Sylvos wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

No need of a wowing movie to listen a geat score though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Sylvos wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Agree.

Shocking.

biggrin kiss
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BODY HEAT - John Barry

Evocotive steamy score is very apt for the humid weather right now. Great score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    NP: The X-Files - I Want To Believe - Mark Snow

There are some great individual cues in here but the album doesn't really hang together as a whole. It's great to hear a reprise of the unused Crossroads (from the 1998 score - one of my favourite cues of all time) in The Trip to DC.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith

Fantastic. That reprise of the love theme in the final cue sends chills down my spine. Gorgeous piece.

punk
  1. NP: I'm not there (Bob Dylan - various interpreters)

This guy's an extraordinary songwriter.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Steven wrote
    Matt C wrote
    NP: X-Files: I Want to Believe - Mark Snow

Justin Boggan will eat this up, particularly the excellent "Trip to D.C." and "Home Again" cues.

We're all very happy for him.

As well you should bem cur. moon
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.