• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2008 edited
    NP : LE TRAIN - Philippe Sarde

I just love this score, it's propulsive, it's got great colourful orchestrations and such a warm atmospheric glow to it, and it's only 18 minutes long. ( and because of that it is the ONLY score I've never stopped playing half way through wink )

Love it love it love it! It's probably up there amongst the most played scores that I have. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2008
    Shaaft! David Arnold

It's amazing that such Afro-American influenced music can come from a typical down-the-pub Brit as Arnold. This is great stuff, and particularity the last few tracks stand extremely well on their own!

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Flubber - Danny Elfman

As I mentioned elsewhere I'm really only familiar with the End Credit cue... which is a blast. It's been such a long time since I've given this one a spin and so far the opening cue is a great one. Sweeping strings, outstanding percussion, twinkling piano, trademark angelic choir, and a funky mombo rhythm. There's even a theremin in the score... AWESOME!!!

This is a zany, busy, and extremely well crafted score. It's a wonderful score that showcases Elfman's incredible talent for writing weird and wacky music but also making it so listener friendly. I would say that Elfman gave the film more than it deserved.

For those that just want to have some fun with their film music then this one is for you. The orchestrations alone are well worth the purchase of the album. Don't let the title turn you off.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Steven wrote
    Shaaft! David Arnold

It's amazing that such Afro-American influenced music can come from a typical down-the-pub Brit as Arnold. This is great stuff, and particularity the last few tracks stand extremely well on their own!

cool

Yeah, good stuff but the boot is missing the insanely addictive cue when Shaft is following the crook through the appartments and stairwells. I love that track. And who can sit still during Isaac Hayes theme song, I sure can't.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote
    Shaaft! David Arnold

cool

Yeah, good stuff but the boot is missing the insanely addictive cue when Shaft is following the crook through the appartments and stairwells. I love that track. And who can sit still during Isaac Hayes theme song, I sure can't.

Isaac Hayes theme song is a classic! And hey! I've even seen him perform it live! punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - Cliff Eidelman

My third favorite Trek score. Eidleman's new themes are exceptional and the opening "Overture" was the perfect approach to open this film with. No Wagnerian main theme, no traditional overture a la the other films... Eidleman began his score with a dead serious cue that is one of the series best opening "themes." Of course the Holst's influence are apparent but this was due to Nicholas Meyer's earlier attempts to license The Planet's for the film. Fortunately, the costs was too high therefore Eidelman used The Planet's as a blueprint while managing to give the film a voice of it's own.

The action set piece "The Battle for Peace" is very exciting. And I think Eidelman nailed the "Sign Off" cue mixing Courage's famous fanfare with the new Undiscovered Country theme. It worked like a charm.

And then you are left with the End Credit piece which is arguably the best of the series. A wonderful stand alone piece that manages to perfectly combine all of the important themes and musical motifs into one grand symphonic suite.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

-Erik-

PS - I think this is the first Trek score to use a chorus in "Rura Penthe."
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: A beautiful compilation of film music that I made for my boyfriend! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: A beautiful compilation of film music that I made for my boyfriend! smile

No tracks from Jarre's Fatal Attraction then? wink

What kind of music did you put on it Stavie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    No tracks from fatal Attraction,no.I want to believe I am a Fatal Attraction to him myself!
    (shocked Did i just say that?! shame)

He has a fair knowledge of film music but I'm trying to broaden some horizons so I used some well-known score cues for starters.
    So,here it goes.
    1. Forrest Gump Suite
    2.Chevaliers de Sangreal (The DaVinci Code)
    3.He's a Pirate (Pirates of Caribbean)
    4. Harry in the Winter (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
    5.John (Constantine)
    6.The Last of the Mohicans
    8. The Council of Elrond (The Lord og thr Rings)
    9.Zorro's Theme (Mask of Zorro)
    10. El tango de Roxanne (Moulin Rouge)
    11.Love Theme (Romeo & Juliet)
    12.Fog Bound (Pirates of the Caribbean)
    13.Indianna Jones Theme
    14. Summer Overture (Requim for a Dream)
    15. Ibelin (Kingdom of Heaven)
    16.The Kiss (the Last of the Mohicans)
    17 Prologue (Harry Potter)
    18 La Valse d'Amelie piano version
    19. Elephant Love Medley (Moulin Rouge)
    20. Star Wars/Revenge of the Sith

It's a quite diverse compilation,I know.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2008
    Beowulf Alan Silvestri

The first time I listened to this one, I'll admit I was disappointed. I was expecting another classic Silvestri-Zemeckis collaboration with beautiful transcending themes and masterful subtly. And clearly that was a mistake. This is WAR! And I love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Beowulf Alan Silvestri

The first time I listened to this one, I'll admit I was disappointed. I was expecting another classic Silvestri-Zemeckis collaboration with beautiful transcending themes and masterful subtly. And clearly that was a mistake. This is WAR! And I love it!

AT LAST, THANK YOU and all the relevant.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I don't remember you thanking me for supporting Beowulf from the start and saying what a wonderful score it is!
    I'm just teasing you hon! tongue biggrin kiss

See Steven!It's time you listen to it, it will grow more on you! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    No tracks from fatal Attraction,no.I want to believe I am a Fatal Attraction to him myself!

Haha, oh yes you just said it!

Ah, Greek Ladies, that's why i love mine too kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've liked Beowulf for some time now, I think I "rediscovered" it a few months ago, been enjoying it ever since. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Haha, oh yes you just said it!

Ah, Greek Ladies, that's why i love mine too kiss

And she is extremely lucky and I hope she knows it!But I'm sure she does!You know how Greek ladies love! smile kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stavroula wrote
    You know how Greek ladies love! smile kiss

Continue...
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    There's nothing to continue about Steven. It's just that due to our culture,due to our genes perhaps we love in the extremes just in the hint that the other may deserve it (even sometimes they don't). With us is all and nothing.Giving to the other all and most of the times holding back nothing.Demetris can tell you if I tell the truth or not.
    But I think this is the case with most people in love anyway,regardless of nationality. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, Greek women are a little bit extra passionate.

And don't you worry sweety, you know we deserve it all. angelic wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Sweet! Where would you recommend starting off from?

"The Final Countdown", "20.000 Leagues Under the Sea", "Anthony and Cleopatra" or "Shogun Mayeda"are all wonderful symphonic scores and a good start wink

thanks mate, will check them out asap!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stavroula wrote
    There's nothing to continue about Steven. It's just that due to our culture,due to our genes perhaps we love in the extremes just in the hint that the other may deserve it (even sometimes they don't). With us is all and nothing.Giving to the other all and most of the times holding back nothing.Demetris can tell you if I tell the truth or not.
    But I think this is the case with most people in love anyway,regardless of nationality. smile

C... Con... Continue...?

Aw. sad

(wink)
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    I just wish they said that sort of thing at film school because there aren't many directors around at the moment who would sympathise with the view in even the vaguest way (check out the film at number one at the box office at the moment for an example).

We do! We do! It's those bloody other teachers and film critics who give it a bad name...

There is some hope. For the next 4 years I'll be a student at a very good film school. Music will always be important for me, and I will be sure to always make it a big part in all of the films I make, if I ever get a job...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Beowulf Alan Silvestri

Isn't it funny what makes us tick? I liked this from the first listen!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Beowulf Alan Silvestri

Still, Beowulf is near the bottom of the barrel concerning Zemeckis/Silvestri scores.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Happy Feet - John Powell

Very nice score by Powell! I'm enjoying this a lot lately... and what a lavish score release!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Searching For Bobby Fischer - James Horner

A gorgeous little gem from the early nineties. Horner really excels at these smaller, more intimate films so it's also worth checking out The Spitfire Grill and To Gillian On Her 37th Birthday too, if you like this. Very touching stuff.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    NP: The 13th Warrior - Jerry Goldsmith

Awesome action material intertwined with classic thematic loveliness is the order of the day in this score from 1999. Structurally and composition-wise similar as the more brilliant The Mummy (from the same year, duh) but Goldsmith is GOD when writing exciting stuff such as this. Crazy percussion and aggressive brass in the action cues sound all the better thanks to the excellent recording. LOVING IT.

Rating: punk punk punk punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    NP: The 13th Warrior - Jerry Goldsmith

Awesome action material intertwined with classic thematic loveliness is the order of the day in this score from 1999. Structurally and composition-wise similar as the more brilliant The Mummy (from the same year, duh) but Goldsmith is GOD when writing exciting stuff such as this. Crazy percussion and aggressive brass in the action cues sound all the better thanks to the excellent recording. LOVING IT.

Great score indeed.

Do you have The Wind And The Lion?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote

I like it!

5 stars: punk punk punk punk punk

4 stars: cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 stars: smile smile smile

2 stars: rolleyes rolleyes

1 star: sleep

biggrin