• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2008
    Sounds like all had a good time
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2008
    Saturday 18 October 2008

press release
    James Newton Howard Film Composer of the Year 2008
    Tonight the World Soundtrack Academy announced the winners of the World Soundtrack Awards 2008, the closing event of the 35th Ghent International Film Festival. The 8th edition of the World Soundtrack Awards was once again a highlight for film music professionals and fans. James Newton Howard was chosen as Film Composer of the Year 2008, Dario Marianelli took home the award for Best Orginal Score of the Year (Atonement). Marc Streitenfeld was the Academy’s new discovery with his score for American Gangster and Angelo Badalamenti was honoured with a Lifetime Achievement Award given by Marianne Faithfull.

Both the ceremony and the concert were attented by world famous composers such as James Newton Howard, Dario Marianelli, Angelo Badalamenti, David Arnold, Clint Mansell, Trevor Jones, and Shigeru Umebayashi. After the World Soundtrack Awards ceremony the Brussels Philharmonic conducted by Dirk Brossé performed film music by Angelo Badalamenti, Dario Marianelli, Andres Goldstein & Daniel Tarrab and local talent Tuur Florizoone. Special guests of the evening were Siouxsie Sioux and Beth Rowley, both singing music of The Edge of Love.

The results:

FILM COMPOSER OF THE YEAR
    presented in respect of the body of work in the year 2008

JAMES NEWTON HOWARD: CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR, MICHAEL CLAYTON, I AM LEGEND

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE OF THE YEAR 2008

ATONEMENT BY DARIO MARIANELLI

BEST ORIGINAL SONG WRITTEN DIRECTLY FOR FILM 2008

'DOWN TO EARTH' FROM WALL-E
    Music by Thomas Newman and Peter Gabriel, lyrics by Peter Gabriel, performed by Peter Gabriel

DISCOVERY OF THE YEAR 2008

MARC STREITENFELD: AMERICAN GANGSTER

LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD 2008

ANGELO BADALAMENTI

PUBLIC CHOICE AWARD

TUUR FLORIZOONE: MOSCOW, BELGIUM

SABAM AWARD FOR BEST BELGIAN YOUNG COMPOSER

CEDRIC MURRATH

The World Soundtrack Awards are organized in cooperation with Port of Ghent, Sabam, the province East-Flanders, the Ghent City Marketing Fund and Belgacom.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    sdtom wrote

FILM COMPOSER OF THE YEAR

JAMES NEWTON HOWARD: CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR, MICHAEL CLAYTON, I AM LEGEND

He earned it. My congrats go to him. applause beer
  1. Yes, we all had a good time, the press conference was very relaxed with an incredibly talkative Angelo Badalamenti, I swear this guy is so witty and charming, I didn't think he would be, considering the dark stuff he writes.

At the concert when it was his time to shine during the second part, he continued with the funny stories from his career, it was also the most interesting for me, music-wise, which had a bit of everything.

And very cool to have met Mr Trevor Jones, who was just the nicest guy around and handed out signatures and wanting to take photographs with us.

Overall, an awesome day. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. The time period these awards cover still continues to confound me. JNH wins Composer of the Year 2008 - for three scores he wrote in 2007. Streitenfeld wins "Discovery of the Year 2008" for a score from November 2007. "Best Original Score of the Year" 2008 goes to a score which won an Oscar 9 months ago.

I understand that WSA uses a non-calendar year for its awards, but I REALLY REALLY think that this has to change in order for the awards to relevant. It just looks silly otherwise.

Having said that, congrats on what sounds like a fantastic event. Badalamenti thoroughly deserves the lifetime achievement award, and the Yared concert sounded superb!
  3. The time of year at which they hold the awards and conference is unlikely to change, so either they give out awards for a period up to near the awards, or they hand out awards that are 9 months out of date that noone cares about. I can understand why they do what they do, even if I've rarely agreed with a choice they've made (and don't agree with these).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. hey guys, so sad most of you couldn't have been there, because for me this was the most amazing night (filmmusic wise) of my life

- getting signatures and talking to David Arnold for a long time punk
    - getting signatures and talking to James Newton Howard for a brief time shocked
    - talking, getting signatures and getting on photo with Trevor Jones for an even longer time shocked shocked

and probably the most cool thing was, I passed Clint Mansell, I nodded because I didn't want to interrupt him (again biggrin ) and yet he recognized Bregt and me, and shook our hands and we started talking again

man, we were all so close to these guys, it's unbelievable it is even possible considering we all live so far away from them

the WSA's were nice, even if indeed Badalamenti's versatile music did the most for me
    I'm already hoping next year will be as good as this, but considering the things we heard from composers this will totally be the case wink

again, I hope to see you guys there, because this is truly becoming a spectacular event smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    And I was only 135 km away from you all (having a shitty evening too).... cry
    Why hadn't I taken the time to arrange something, a babysitter and everything.

So it was better than last year? I feel awful now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Yes, we all had a good time, the press conference was very relaxed with an incredibly talkative Angelo Badalamenti, I swear this guy is so witty and charming, I didn't think he would be, considering the dark stuff he writes.

At the concert when it was his time to shine during the second part, he continued with the funny stories from his career, it was also the most interesting for me, music-wise, which had a bit of everything.

And very cool to have met Mr Trevor Jones, who was just the nicest guy around and handed out signatures and wanting to take photographs with us.

Overall, an awesome day. punk

About Badalamenti: have you seen MULHOLLAND DRIVE? There's a scene with him in the movie, where he acts and its absolute genius!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    - getting signatures and talking to James Newton Howard for a brief time shocked

Wha... wha... WHATTTT!!!!!?????

sad angry crazy

Still, well done James - 2007 (not exactly 2008) was a pretty good year!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I've met and talked to Kantelinen yesterday as well. I've made greetings from you Demetris. He was very happy to hear that and asked how everything was.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks mate, Tuomas is the finest gentleman i've met in the business and his music really speaks to my tastes wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2008 edited
    Pity our chat had to be short. He said that he had to go to a concert in Crete today, of a Greek composer you know and love. punk
    Kazoo
  5. LSH wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Wha... wha... WHATTTT!!!!!?????

sad angry crazy

Still, well done James - 2007 (not exactly 2008) was a pretty good year!

yeah, it was so surreal
    still what a fine gentleman, I expected him to be not so gracious, but he kindly accepted to sign all our covers, it was an amazing evening for us all shame

I hope to see you there then next year Bregje
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I'm so fucking jealous, I'd love to meet the guy. shame
  6. LSH wrote
    I'm so fucking jealous, I'd love to meet the guy. shame

trust me, If you would have been in my place and I'm in yours i would have been so fucking jealous as well

I think we can't believe how lucky we have been these past couple of years shame
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    About Badalamenti: have you seen MULHOLLAND DRIVE? There's a scene with him in the movie, where he acts and its absolute genius!

Not as good as David Arnold being in Little Britain. biggrin
  7. Sounds like Ghent is a great event indeed!

From my own (limited) experience, everyone's comments on their own experiences with Kantelinen, Jones and Umebayashi are not surprising. They are all very good adverts for film composers. It's especially good to hear that Umebayashi was there. I think that he was in awe of the whole thing when he was SONCINEMAD. And when I had a chance to speak to him, although his English was limited, he was certainly able to put across his opinions and how pleased he was to be in Madrid.

All this talk of people mingling with composers makes me miss my yearly "fix" of mixing with these admirable people! sad
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2008 edited
    Hey Anthony, Arnold remembered you! Greetings to you as well.

We talked also about apples and oranges, and the idea to use a fax machine in his next score. He already has a few idea for Narnia 3, and we can expect big themes which he thinks are quite good so far.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Pity our chat had to be short. He said that he had to go to a concert in Crete today, of a Greek composer you know and love. punk

Stamatis Spanoudakis?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I think so yes! Forgot the name. All I know is that Tuomas knew you liked his work. it's the one from Brides right?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregt wrote
    We talked also about apples and oranges, and the idea to use a fax machine in his next score. He already has a few idea for Narnia 3, and we can expect big themes which he thinks are quite good so far.

No, no, bananas and oranges! tongue He just didn't stop talking! Every time he ended his awnser to one of our questions, we tried to come up with a new question right away so he wouldn't leave, but when we went quiet after a while, he just started talking again! (his favorite JNH score is The Fugitive, and he'd love to hear what James would do with Bond if he'd score it!). We also said we'd love to hear something like Stargate or ID4 again, but he didn't want to repeat himself... but then he started to think, "well, I've done smaller and different things lately... yeah, maybe it's about time I did one again".

Overall, I loved it! Like Thomas, I was surprised to see JNH was such a friendly and gracious man; Arnold is fantastic (his wit!); Trevor Jones is great (he asked Dario to sign my Atonement cover! biggrin ) and Marc Streitenfeld was obviously 'the new one'; humbled, and he looked very pleasantly surprised when I asked him to sign my cover of Body of Lies ("I'm going to ruin it...").

And the music was just superb: the 25 min. suite of Atonement was breathtaking, and the Badalamenti stuff was great, with very funny anecdotes of Angelo in between. And I kept watching him when there were solo's (like the solo performances of Beth and Sioux) and he was visibly touched by their performances (I think I saw a tear). He was the first to show his appreciation of their performances. A great guy!
  8. Christodoulides wrote

I've seen that movie but missed him, I clearly didn't know he was in it... I was too busy untangling the plot in my brain.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    sdtom wrote
    PUBLIC CHOICE AWARD

TUUR FLORIZOONE: MOSCOW, BELGIUM

Yes, yes, yes! It's good to see that Belgium nationalists finally served their country!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Some Flash movies about WSA here (in Dutch)
    http://www.deredactie.be/cm/de.redactie … Soundtrack
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2008
    Whoah, awesomeness! Thanks for all the reports! What a treat to be able to meet all these composer up close and chat with them!

[green] crazy [/green]
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    I think so yes! Forgot the name. All I know is that Tuomas knew you liked his work. it's the one from Brides right?

Yeap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I've seen that movie but missed him, I clearly didn't know he was in it... I was too busy untangling the plot in my brain.

He's the one spitting the coffee on a kerchief, slowly and with obvious disgust. One of the best scenes of the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    - getting signatures and talking to David Arnold for a long time punk
    - talking, getting signatures and getting on photo with Trevor Jones for an even longer time shocked shocked

Oh, MAN!!! It seems like something out of a dream for me right now!

Especially JNH! My Dinosaur CD is itching for an autograph tongue biggrin I really hope I can attend similar events in the future!