• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2010
    Yeah it's a 1983 film starring Tommy Lee Jones and Michael O'Keefe. I didn't even know if its existence until I produced the soundtrack!! wink

Sound clips have been up here since Tuesday...
    http://www.lalalandrecords.com/NateAndHayes.html
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
  1. it sounds really interesting, but I'll wait and see if it really is what they say, never heard of the score to begin with
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Is there a decent recording of his Mississippi Burning score, ie. without dialogues? I saw the amazing film for the second time yesterday and I loved the score in context.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Is there a decent recording of his Mississippi Burning score, ie. without dialogues? I saw the amazing film for the second time yesterday and I loved the score in context.

I can't remember the score at all but the film is very good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. An electronic work with some high-string dramatic material, not maybe too thematic, but gives a BIG sense of dread to all the evil stuff on screen.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2010
    dgoldwas wrote
    Yeah it's a 1983 film starring Tommy Lee Jones and Michael O'Keefe. I didn't even know if its existence until I produced the soundtrack!! wink

Sound clips have been up here since Tuesday...
    http://www.lalalandrecords.com/NateAndHayes.html

The film is known in Europe as "Savage Islands" , they never used the title "Nate And Hayes" over here .
    I saw it at the cinema when it originally came out and loved it . It's old fashioned swashbuckling fun !
    I picked up the DVD about a year ago . I remember loving the main theme but I'll have to refresh my
    memory for the rest of the music . This is certainly one I'm gonna look into ... smile
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  4. Review of Nate and Hayes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010
    I found that score snooze-inducing. Give me AEGIS anyday.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Snooze inducing!? Bollocks. I think it's great! The theme has been stuck in my head for days. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Mkay. Give me AEGIS anyday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Aegis is lovely, indeed. Nate and Hayes is a more fun, actiony score. Apples and oranges really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Aegis is lovely, indeed. Nate and Hayes is a more fun, actiony score. Apples and oranges really.

They're completely different. Probably my two favourite Jones scores.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    I found that score snooze-inducing. Give me AEGIS anyday.

well, I wasn't exactly inspired after Aegis the first time I heard it, guess we think differently on that part

I must say that the sound quality of Nate and Hayes could've been better, perhaps that's a reason it didn't struck a nerve with you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't see how anyone can call that theme 'snooze-inducing', but I guess this isn't Demetris' type of thing. More the pity really, I think it's fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Review of Nate and Hayes

Nice review Thomas !

I personally love Savage Islands , and it doesn't bother me one bit that most of the OST has been build around the main 'swashbuckling' theme and the love theme . It's FUN , it's ACTION packed - it's 40 minutes pure bliss for me !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  6. Eric wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Review of Nate and Hayes

Nice review Thomas !

I personally love Savage Islands , and it doesn't bother me one bit that most of the OST has been build around the main 'swashbuckling' theme and the love theme . It's FUN , it's ACTION packed - it's 40 minutes pure bliss for me !

thanks Eric, glad you liked it

Ps, it has 2 themes, most of the music of today doesn't even have one main theme, so it's goddamn amazing wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2010
    Steven wrote
    I don't see how anyone can call that theme 'snooze-inducing', but I guess this isn't Demetris' type of thing. More the pity really, I think it's fantastic.

Well, if you believe that only soft music and generally boring underscore can send you to sleep, that is wink

But yeah, it's not my kind of thing, nor what i expect to hear from Trevor Jones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Well, if you believe that only soft music and generally boring underscore can send you to sleep, that is wink

But yeah, it's not my kind of thing, nor what i expect to hear from Trevor Jones.

Are you sure you're talking about Nate and Hayes? With its big, swashbuckling, Cutthroat Island-like main theme and Miklos Rozsa-style love theme? Fine if you don't like it, but it's hardly "soft music" or "generally boring underscore"!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2010 edited
    D. sometimes employs such epithets when they really do not seem appropriate.

I still marvel at how a magnificent, epic track like 'Les Grands Voiliers - Goémons' in Voyage En Ballon could in any way, shape or form be relegated to the pigeonhole "fluffy".
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Are you sure you're talking about Nate and Hayes? With its big, swashbuckling, Cutthroat Island-like main theme and Miklos Rozsa-style love theme? Fine if you don't like it, but it's hardly "soft music" or "generally boring underscore"!

I think he meant not only soft music and underscore can send you to sleep, i.e. something else. (It's the way he words things that confuses the best of us apparently. biggrin dizzy )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nar. It's his Greekiness.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

He's not saying it's soft music and generally boring underscore. He is saying that music can be sleep-inducing for reasons besides those two.

I haven't heard the score, but maybe the reason in this case is something along the lines of repetitive bombast?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

You're misreading what i said. My point is that NOT ONLY underscore can be boring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sorry D, I did indeed misread you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thank you Steven and Scribe, btw.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Scribe wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

He's not saying it's soft music and generally boring underscore. He is saying that music can be sleep-inducing for reasons besides those two.

I haven't heard the score, but maybe the reason in this case is something along the lines of repetitive bombast?

Nope. Not here. That's why I like it!

Oh well, it takes all sorts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What on Earth is wrong with bombast? confused
    We get far too little of that these days, so if it's repeated all the better!
    I'm getting this score!punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    What on Earth is wrong with bombast? confused
    We get far too little of that these days, so if it's repeated all the better!
    I'm getting this score!punk

It's not repeated, that's the point. It's varied. But if you want to make the album a bit more like HGW's Sinbad score then you can just burn yourself a CD with a thirty second extract of the main theme repeated 160 times - it'll just squeeze onto a CDR.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah...or I could just get the CD.
    What would you think I would like better?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You said you liked repetitive bombast, so I assume my suggested CDR would fit your needs better than the actual CD, which has a reasonable amount of variety.