• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The guy play for shit on purpose and edit it to concert bits of famous players, the thing is to get shitty playing combined with insane expressions of some great players (like almost crying, things like that, has anybody seen BB King playing? He puts an expressive face on almost every note he's playing).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2009
    DreamTheater,

the original sound has been replaced with sound the youtuber produced. It's meant as a joke. The amaeturish noise is fitted to the video so it looks like it's the professional musicians playing it.

Peter smile
  2. Thanks a lot for clearing that up. Is that the definition of shredding then?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Indeed, Pawel.

That's what I find funny, to see these passionate musicians play like utter crap. It reminds me of the guitar scene in Back to the future. I think it's amazing how well it's fitted to the visuals as well.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thanks a lot for clearing that up. Is that the definition of shredding then?

I think so. Just encountered this internet phenonemon myself.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    It's practically impossible to explain humour. If you don't get it, you don't get it.

Peter smile

No, srsly. Why?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2009 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The guy play for shit on purpose and edit it to concert bits of famous players, the thing is to get shitty playing combined with insane expressions of some great players (like almost crying, things like that, has anybody seen BB King playing? He puts an expressive face on almost every note he's playing).

BB King is one of the guitar greats, every note he plays he feels and that's what being a great musician is all about and why some, like BB King, are true legends.

and yeah, 'I get it' but don't find it particularly funny.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    plindboe wrote
    It's practically impossible to explain humour. If you don't get it, you don't get it.

Peter smile

No, srsly. Why?

If you 'got' the music in the first place you'd understand tongue wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Music in general, or that music in particular?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Music in general, or that music in particular?

Just 'that' music in particular D wink On orchestral, film music etc you have my upmost respect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'll admit i don't have a special background in that genre, but can at least be explained or am i beating it too much? smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009
    One of the best gags from the new season of Family Guy. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The guy play for shit on purpose and edit it to concert bits of famous players, the thing is to get shitty playing combined with insane expressions of some great players (like almost crying, things like that, has anybody seen BB King playing? He puts an expressive face on almost every note he's playing).

BB King is one of the guitar greats, every note he plays he feels and that's what being a great musician is all about and why some, like BB King, are true legends.

Well, we share a similar sense of humour on many things, Tim, but apparently not here. I think it's absolutely spellbinding, esp. the rapidfire, random percussion outburst at 0:34. biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're weird.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, apparently he falls into that elusive range of persons who have a healthy taste for the absurd.
    I think it's hilarious as well!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    I'll admit i don't have a special background in that genre, but can at least be explained or am i beating it too much? smile

WAY too much, D.
    The humour is in the absurdity of seeing a (known) master musician, having been overdubbed with visually fitting but horrendous and completely off-the-mark sounds. Knowing that these are people at the top of their game (and acting/showing it) makes the actual (fake) result amusing.

It's comparable to seeing Yoyo Ma working himself into an absolute holy sweat over what appears to be some Bach suite while what comes out is "twinkle twinkle little star". It's the juxtaposition between the normal, the familiar,the expected and the unexpected that makes it funny!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    It's comparable to seeing Yoyo Ma working himself into an absolute holy sweat over what appears to be some Bach suite while what comes out is "twinkle twinkle little star". It's the juxtaposition between the normal, the familiar,the expected and the unexpected that makes it funny!

See, that could be quite funny. With the video Thor posted, it just sounds like an avant-garde piece of music - and avant-garde is incredibly serious stuff! So I get it, but I don't find it funny. It sounds like a serious piece of music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    But of course, Martijn, now that we've actually gone the way to EXPLAIN a piece of comedy, it pretty much falls through for most. slant It's a lose-lose situation.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

See, that could be quite funny. With the video Thor posted, it just sounds like an avant-garde piece of music - and avant-garde is incredibly serious stuff! So I get it, but I don't find it funny. It sounds like a serious piece of music.

Well, Santana isn't actually Karl-Heinz Stockhausen....
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Your point being?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Your point being?

That if you know your Santana, you would know that he would never play anything like that - not even IF it were considered avant garde.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nobody really thought this was an actual performance, did they?
    Please?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Please?

You mean that's not what Santana sounds like?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Please?

face-palm-mt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    It's curious how amazingly difficult it can be to explain why something is funny. I'm reminded of countless Star trek: TNG episodes of Picard and co. trying to explain humour and music to Data.

I think Thor and Martijn managed quite well though, certainly better than I would have been able to.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Well, we share a similar sense of humour on many things, Tim, but apparently not here. I think it's absolutely spellbinding, esp. the rapidfire, random percussion outburst at 0:34. biggrin

Actually I may well have found this humorous at another time but feeling crap has given me a humour bypass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Actually I may well have found this humorous at another time but feeling crap has given me a humour bypass.

Sorry to hear you're feeling under the weather. Hopefully, you'll be up and running again in a few days. A votre santé!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor, It's IMPERATIVE that I'm up and running in a few days....Friday night is only two nights away!!! crazy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

WAY too much, D.
    The humour is in the absurdity of seeing a (known) master musician, having been overdubbed with visually fitting but horrendous and completely off-the-mark sounds. Knowing that these are people at the top of their game (and acting/showing it) makes the actual (fake) result amusing.

I realized that, OF COURSE. But i found it to be ZERO funny.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Please?

biggrin