• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011
    :-)))!!Agreed!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    markrayen wrote
    Like Norwegian composer Fred J Berg said in a portrait documentary made in his honour:

"To compose is to turn your soul inside out and then have it stepped on"

wink

Very good quote. Kinda illuminates the reason why we rarely see composers on film music forums. Must be difficult to have worked so hard for months on a project, with all the intricate details and negotiations with and demands of the director, turning your soul inside out, only to have it criticized and stepped on by random film music fans because they didn't enjoy the album experience.

Peter smile

You're just too kind Peter.

I feel like a right old rotter.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Kri1985 wrote
    well..i agree on everything except Tyler Bates. Especially there are a bunch of talented composers out there who never gets a chance to score a big budget movie like him. And if that is the soul of Tyler Bates what he produces i think he would be enough strong to bear the fact that he does not deserves many time to score big budget movies. Anyway its the producers/directors choice..and i guess most of them give a damn about music, its just a task to do. Not all directors are so "musical".

It's certainly true that there are more talented people out there, but that's just the way the industry works. And you're right to blame the producers and directors, as the composers simply give them the product they want.

Anyway, the budget of the movies doesn't interest me that much. Film composers of great talent continue to compose great music, whether Tyler Bates gets a higher paycheck or not. One can of course feel annoyed at the unfairness of the system from time to time, but from the point of view of a film music fan, who's the bigger name in the industry has no impact at all on my enjoyment of the music.

Martijn wrote
    Simply because someone produces music doesn't make him a hero.

Film composers are heroes to me. I didn't mean that you have to think of them as heroes.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    You're just too kind Peter.

I feel like a right old rotter.

Hehe, I didn't mean to imply that criticizing was wrong and that we should stop doing it. In fact I'm all for criticizing the album experience. I just meant that I can understand why film composers tend to avoid places like these.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    Precisely under big budget movie i didnt mean only the cost..i think i expressed myself wrong here! I meant some movie which receives attention and publicity, so everyone can get familiar with the name of the composer. For example Conan would have been a shoot out for a newcomer . Because if a composer is living from what he does (composing music) then i guess they really have a hard time until they dont get inside the circulation and getting hired in a constant manner. I cant help but want lots of success for talented people and i want to see them with success and attention. But take Slumdog Millionaire (i apologies from the fans of Rahman), the score was perfectly fit to the movie but i dont enjoy at all as a standalone listen, the movie was not big budgeted but received a big attention so he immediately got an Academy Award, when composers such Newton Howard doesnt have. The force of marketing campaign and a bunch of deaf people who simply doesnt value the music as a standalone listen but just vote according to which movie they liked. Thats soo much not fair...but its useless to waste more words on this topic since everyone knows. (And apologies from the fans of Rahman and Santaollala , Trent Reznor etc :D, since maybe at the end is only a matter of taste)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011 edited
    Kri1985 wrote
    Precisely under big budget movie i didnt mean only the cost..i think i expressed myself wrong here! I meant some movie which receives attention and publicity, so everyone can get familiar with the name of the composer. For example Conan would have been a shoot out for a newcomer . Because if a composer is living from what he does (composing music) then i guess they really have a hard time until they dont get inside the circulation and getting hired in a constant manner. I cant help but want lots of success for talented people and i want to see them with success and attention. But take Slumdog Millionaire (i apologies from the fans of Rahman), the score was perfectly fit to the movie but i dont enjoy at all as a standalone listen, the movie was not big budgeted but received a big attention so he immediately got an Academy Award, when composers such Newton Howard doesnt have. The force of marketing campaign and a bunch of deaf people who simply doesnt value the music as a standalone listen but just vote according to which movie they liked. Thats soo much not fair...but its useless to waste more words on this topic since everyone knows. (And apologies from the fans of Rahman and Santaollala , Trent Reznor etc :D, since maybe at the end is only a matter of taste)

Yeah, it's mostly a matter of taste.

Personally, I enjoy Santaollala and Reznor's work, and think their Oscars were very worthy.

I'm also a fan of Rahman, but I actually agree with you there. SLUMDOG was largely disappointing, and seemed more to be hype and "exoticism" more than anything. The irony is that almost anything else he has done is much better than SLUMDOG, but that no one (in the West, at least) know about.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I thought the SLUMDOG score was very enjoyable biggrin suicide
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011
    plindboe wrote
    markrayen wrote
    Like Norwegian composer Fred J Berg said in a portrait documentary made in his honour:

"To compose is to turn your soul inside out and then have it stepped on"

wink

Very good quote. Kinda illuminates the reason why we rarely see composers on film music forums. Must be difficult to have worked so hard for months on a project, with all the intricate details and negotiations with and demands of the director, turning your soul inside out, only to have it criticized and stepped on by random film music fans because they didn't enjoy the album experience.

Peter smile

Precisely what I meant. Thank you smile

A composer has potentially made hundreds of sensitive musical decisions over the course of an entire work, and may have spent long hours in the painstaking process of realising the source of their inspirations to paper.

Then follows an intricate process of working with musicians (and/or producers) in a recording situation, where the composer's work is transferred to an inspired (hopefully!) audible result. Finally, a studio mix is prepared, also time consuming, where again hundreds of sensitive decisions are made concerning balance, timbre, foreground/background etc.

Finally, a product is put out to the market.

Of course, criticism is vital and always has been. But those who are unaware of the artistic choices being made and are unwilling to explore them are bound to end up with inaccurate expectations to what they are going to hear/experience, and the feedback will certainly be invalid to the composers themselves if the listener is not willing to take off their hat and come explore the artistic landscape of which the music infact does evolve within.

In my opinion and experience, as a critic, you need to explore the music, not only hear it once or twice to then compare it to what expectations you might have had in your own mind. You need to question what is being heard, not merely accept whatever is thrown out of the orchestra/ensemble/band and let important musical events and artistic decisions go past you without reflection.

On forums there are a lot of non-academic presentations of opinions (more-or-less unreflected), and it is a natural and logical thing - and a healthy thing (I have observed myself doing this!). Important too, from a sosiological view, as places like this are contributive to the very manifistation of the marginal market that film music is. And it is a valuable and growing market.

But by profession, only producers of pop music are intent on creating music that perfectly suits a given market situation. Only they are asking themselves (as demanded by their profession) what people are expecting, and diagnosing the market situation in order to provide the "perfect" product - almost like a doctor diagnoses a patient.

Film composers do the same thing, but they limit the area of their focus to what unfolds within the film they are working on. They select instruments, genres, tempos, compose melodies - or make a decision to avoid them altogether, because of their interpretation of the filmic universe they are involved in creating.

I think listening is an art form, and the critique of art is at least an artistic process if not also an art. So I believe comments on art should be creative. Infact, I think the primary value of critique is creativity: new perspectives, reflected interpretations, presentation of newfound rhetoric that challenges both the composer and the listeners! Etc etc...

It is then unfortunate that a lot of boring (read: selfish) critique goes around in the soundtrack review communities, it really only encourages decadence if anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011 edited
    I pretty much disagree with every single thing you said there, Mark smile But as any rebuttal would pretty unavoidably result in a simple clash of opinions, I won't argue the point.

Let me limit myself to the simple statement that I think it's very interesting to read how fundamentally different anyone's interpretation (and expansion on that interpretation, and indeed -as is more adroit here- the actual approach towards that interpretation!) of a particular piece of work may be.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    Listening is a form of art?...........im one of the greatest artists then ..im so happy XD
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    lol applause
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Sure Martijn, I respect that you don't want to share what you're in disagreement with - but I'm glad you told me anyway. If you do want to point out a couple of things, roughly of course, I'd be glad.

I'm not neccessarily in complete agreement with myself, I only do my best to express what comes to my mind at a certain time. And next week I'll be thinking new things and exploring some new hypothesis, always being a student, always looking for new impulses. But I see how my contributions here can be tiresome to engage in... I wish it wasn't so! :p
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    markrayen wrote
    But I see how my contributions here can be tiresome to engage in... I wish it wasn't so! :p

Oh no!
    Not at all, Mark!

I was just foreseeing a discussion along the lines of
    - "You should listen to music THIS way otherwise you can't possibly understand it!"
    - "No, you should do it THAT way otherwise you obviously can't enjoy it!"
    ...which would make little sense to me!

It's all about the philosophy any one person holds (or the goal he sets himself) what in music works for one.
    That's why I said clash of opinions!
    Facts or theories I am happy to argue.
    In this case it comes right down to such personal taste and conviction that any argument is by definition moot!
    We can only with any relevancy (I think) express what our own preferences are. Not pose any generally valid theory or modus operandi.

In the matter of personal preference I far more find myself on Krisztina's side, where music seems to be an almost visceral experience. And that is how I approach, enjoy and critique it.
    But to say that is the "one true" way would be ridiculous.

Again I really read your post with much interest.
    The fact that I disagree (i.e. your approach does not work for me) in no way detracts from that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    Nice to hear that Martijn...;-)...though of course i read with interest the post of Mark as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011 edited
    markrayen wrote
    Precisely what I meant. Thank you smile

A composer has potentially made hundreds of sensitive musical decisions over the course of an entire work, and may have spent long hours in the painstaking process of realising the source of their inspirations to paper.

Then follows an intricate process of working with musicians (and/or producers) in a recording situation, where the composer's work is transferred to an inspired (hopefully!) audible result. Finally, a studio mix is prepared, also time consuming, where again hundreds of sensitive decisions are made concerning balance, timbre, foreground/background etc.

Finally, a product is put out to the market.

Of course, criticism is vital and always has been. But those who are unaware of the artistic choices being made and are unwilling to explore them are bound to end up with inaccurate expectations to what they are going to hear/experience, and the feedback will certainly be invalid to the composers themselves if the listener is not willing to take off their hat and come explore the artistic landscape of which the music infact does evolve within.

In my opinion and experience, as a critic, you need to explore the music, not only hear it once or twice to then compare it to what expectations you might have had in your own mind. You need to question what is being heard, not merely accept whatever is thrown out of the orchestra/ensemble/band and let important musical events and artistic decisions go past you without reflection.

On forums there are a lot of non-academic presentations of opinions (more-or-less unreflected), and it is a natural and logical thing - and a healthy thing (I have observed myself doing this!). Important too, from a sosiological view, as places like this are contributive to the very manifistation of the marginal market that film music is. And it is a valuable and growing market.

But by profession, only producers of pop music are intent on creating music that perfectly suits a given market situation. Only they are asking themselves (as demanded by their profession) what people are expecting, and diagnosing the market situation in order to provide the "perfect" product - almost like a doctor diagnoses a patient.

Film composers do the same thing, but they limit the area of their focus to what unfolds within the film they are working on. They select instruments, genres, tempos, compose melodies - or make a decision to avoid them altogether, because of their interpretation of the filmic universe they are involved in creating.

I think listening is an art form, and the critique of art is at least an artistic process if not also an art. So I believe comments on art should be creative. Infact, I think the primary value of critique is creativity: new perspectives, reflected interpretations, presentation of newfound rhetoric that challenges both the composer and the listeners! Etc etc...

It is then unfortunate that a lot of boring (read: selfish) critique goes around in the soundtrack review communities, it really only encourages decadence if anything.

Interesting post. smile

I think depending on what people are critiquing, it can be perfectly fine with an uneducated gut feeling reaction to the music, without truly understanding the details of the music or the long process behind it, for instance if you're judging whether you like a score or not as an album experience. In fact this is how I pretty much judge all my music. But if you want to judge whether the film composer did a good job or not, more knowledge is required than whether you like the music or not. Not only would you have to see the movie, you'd have to have some understanding of the process and the demands and constraints the composer were under, and what s(he) and the makers of the movie were trying to accomplish. Music can be absolutely divine on album, but work atrociously in the movie, and music can be awful on album and still be the best film score of all time, simply because the movie and not the album is what a film score is ultimately composed for.

Problem is on film music boards, these things are often confused. People can't connect to a certain composer, and they declare that (s)he sucks as a film composer. People think a score is boring without seeing how it works in the movie, and they call it a bad score.

I also think that film music fans often forget that the vast majority of film viewers usually don't evaluate the music like we do; they judge the work of a composer by very different standards. The vast majority of people don't give a rodent's posterior than Tyler Bates practically copied some of Goldenthal's Titus for his 300 score. Perhaps it's too big a discussion to go into, but depending on what criteria one uses Tyler Bates can be considered one of the greatest film composers of all time, because he gives producers, directors and the average film viewer what they want.

Instead, we film music fans tend to judge whether film composers are great composers instead of great film composers (by using criteria like originality and quality of the music away from the film). This is because we listen to the music in a way it's not actually meant to be listened to and we easily end up misjudging the quality of the work.

/rambling

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2011
    Martijn wrote
    In the matter of personal preference I far more find myself on Krisztina's side, where music seems to be an almost visceral experience. And that is how I approach, enjoy and critique it.
    But to say that is the "one true" way would be ridiculous.

I don't disagree. Believe it or not... I agree! smile

I just re-read what I wrote earlier and don't feel I contradicted this. But maybe I'm reading it differently? The closest I come to presenting any one-true-way of anything is perhaps when I suggest a music critic has a distinguished responsibility to the given work being critiqued: that a common mistake being made (in my opinion!) is to evaluate the music for what it is not rather than for what it is. To be unwilling to explore the work as a listener, but rather expect it to reveal itself automatically. Not only in the soundtrack community of course, but many other genres.

A strange exception might be the classical genre, where there exists a patriotic companionship within the community (as it has become so marginal). The ratings of new releases sometimes tend to be overly generous, almost as if it were a marketing strategy conspiracy, and often reviewers seem to cover up for lack of insight by offering excessive flattery. Like little love poems to the artists. One could disagree, but I often feel those are the symptoms when I'm reading BBC or Grammophone. It sometimes feels pretentious.

And of course in that community, one rarely questions the composer - its all about the performers! Even in cases when the music is obscure and unknown to the public, the contents of the composition itself are only touched superficiously - as the critics listen in a very different, much more performance-orientated way than what soundtrack reviewers are used to. Soundtrack reviewers seem more interested in the recording technique and technology - something classical reviewers often are unknowledgable about.

The soundtrack reviewing community is much tougher in comparison, partly because it consists of so many hobby reviewers and websites that don't know the artistic processes in the same intimate way as the more educated classical reviewers, who are often performers themselves and might have teaching posts within higher and lower music education.

But there are great benefits to be found in a community where the fans do the critique. Sometimes it seems though, that the trends in film music are going one way, and the critique of it is going another. People seem to be more interested in where it is coming from than where it is heading. I think that is unfair towards the artists themselves.

/rambling :P

P.S. - Peter, I liked what you wrote. I think a good film composer and a good composer is the very same thing smile
  1. I'm new to the community. I am a veteran (sort of...been posting there for anywhere between 6-8 years) of Filmtracks. I have heard so many good things about the maintitles community that I have decided to try and become an active member! So, this is me!

oh and btw, my name is Anthony Aguilar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2012
    Welcome to greatest film music community on the interwebs!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Welcome Anthony! wave
  2. Welcome!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Welcome Anthony beer
  3. Anthony welcome, I'm sure you'll love it here
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Welcome to greatest film music community on the interwebs!

-Erik-

What he said.

I'm stymied(?) why not more film score fans gravitate towards this board, but I guess we like it that way. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2012 edited
    Nice to have you here, Anthony. wave Hope you'll become an avid poster.

I've warmed alot up to Filmtracks the past few years, but MT is still the friendliest, funniest and most interesting place to be, imo.

Peter smile
  4. Thank you all for the kind words!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Who are your favourite composers/music Anthony?
  5. James Horner and John Williams are at the top for me. I love Philippe Rombi's stuff but US releases of his music are sparse. My #1 favorite scores are, however, Howard Shore's LOTR trilogy. Nearly everything about those scores is perfect and amazing, which is odd seeing as how Shore's other works don't captivate me nearly as much.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2012
    Not even Looking For Richard and Dogma? Both scores foreshadow his Rings scores.
  6. Is the Dogma score available commercially? If so it must be difficult to find. And I haven't heard Looking for Richard.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2012 edited
    I've no idea how easy these two are to get now but yes, both were available commercially.

Edit : DOGMA, Movie Music store has one used for $3.99, Amazon UK has Looking For Richard very cheap too.