• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ye olde music,

On this board AKA neglected music.

Only by untrained younglings who still are to find their true potential in the Force.

I'll stop geeking everybody out, now.

Nanoo nanoo.

Oh, and welcome, Cobweb.
    I do like your monniker! Reminds of some books from my youth on the secretive and elusive Captain Cobwebb, a sort of mystical M who sent out his nephew to combat mythical and epic foes throughout the world. Good stuff!
    Any relation? wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2011
    I think COBWEB is referring to the Leonard Rosenman-scored film.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2011
    Hi everyone! wave

New member from Iran here. (I hope we are not sanctioned in the film music world!)

I read on the main page that I should post here first. So, to give you a short intro, I always loved those orchestral music I could hear in movies, but I've never thought that a subject as obscure as this could have its own dedicated community on the internet, with people who actually enjoy collecting and talking about the subject. At least not until the last few years. Where I live, these aren't popular. People call them "background music", and the general consensus is "who'd want to listen to these separate from the picture?" So I can't tell you how happy I was when I found about all these film score message boards (MainTitles, FSM, MovieMusic, JWFan, Hans-Zimmer.com, etc) a few years back and learned that I am not the only fan!

I really wanted to get involved with these forums right away back in the days but I didn't have the language skills nor did I have proper knowledge of the subject, and it seemed like "noobs" aren't quite welcome in most of these boards anyway so I decided to follow them instead (at least those that are still accessible from my country) to educate myself on how things work. Hopefully I've learned enough by now to get involved, and what better place to make a start than here, which seems to have the nicest, most neutral members of the bunch? smile

This is my first time posting on a foreign message board, so do please excuse me (and correct me too!) for any grammar mistakes, or unfamiliarity with things that may otherwise be assumed common knowledge (both language-related, or technical film music terms). I try my best to catch up quick!
  1. Hello Blu, nice to have someone from Iran over here. Hope you enjoy your stay. Don't mind the language or the filmmusic knowledge, you'll soon discover MainTitles is not like any other filmmusic site and forum. Here we judge people by their people skills, not their filmmusic skills smile

tell me, considering you've been listening to filmmusic for some time now, which composers do you love the most?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    From Iran? That rocks, Blu, welcome! I think we should be honoured to have someone from that part of the world here. Doesn't happen every day.

By the way, I've seen a couple of good Iranian films over the years that I've made threads about, but that didn't spawn much interest - AUTOBUS-E SHABANEH aka THE NIGHT BUS (2007), THE HUNTER (2010), which was a German co-production which actually made my Top 20 list that year and just a few days ago JODAEIYE NADER AZ SIMIN aka NADER AND SIMIN - A SEPARATION (2011). All of them were wonderful, although I can't remember much of the music. I won't comment on the political climate, but it seems like the Iranian film industry has begun to blossom in recent years.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Welcome Blu, I hope you stick around, I think you'll enjoy it here. beer

p.s. Your English is excellent! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Welcome aboard, Blu.

I think it's universal that film music is considered nothing but background music, something a bit odd to listen to on its own. Boards like these show us that in fact the world has plenty of people with our exquisite taste in music. wink

Anyway, your English is very good. Most of the members here have English as their second language, so don't worry about it.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    Thank you all for the welcome! smile

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    tell me, considering you've been listening to filmmusic for some time now, which composers do you love the most?

My favorite genre of film music is drama. Especially those that have a touch of eastern Asian sound, and their amazing instruments (e.g. erhu, koto, guzheng, etc). Titles like "Anna and the King" by George Fenton, or "Wu Ju" by Klaus Badelt are good examples of this. I also like a certain old-fashioned style of composition heard mostly in very old romantic films. I don't know what it is called but many Philippe Rombi's compositions have it written all over them. At least in Angel, Jeux d'enfants, and Un Homme Et Son Chien.

There are very few composers that I know for more than just one work. John Williams comes first to my mind. Hard not to know him considering he's scored some of the most popular films of the recent decades. The concert piece for The Patriot (2000) is my most favorite cue of all time. James Newton Howard is also fascinating when he writes for fantasy/emotional projects (e.g. Atlantis, Lady in the Water). I thoroughly enjoy John Powell's works too, especially when he delivers energetic music (complete with crazy instruments, like those in Horton Hears A Who!). Maurice Jarre (Doctor Zhivago, Passage to India), and Joe Hisaishi (My Neighbor Totoro) are kind of nostalgic favorites. I grew up with their music so they are very special to me. I also like some early works by James Horner (Apollo 13, Braveheart, Legends of the Fall), and those works of Hans Zimmer that sound like he had put in lots of care and love for the job (e.g. Last Samurai, Da Vinci Code, Lion King, Gladiator).

Thor wrote
    I've seen a couple of good Iranian films over the years that I've made threads about, but that didn't spawn much interest - AUTOBUS-E SHABANEH aka THE NIGHT BUS (2007), THE HUNTER (2010), which was a German co-production which actually made my Top 20 list that year and just a few days ago JODAEIYE NADER AZ SIMIN aka NADER AND SIMIN - A SEPARATION (2011).

wow, Thor, I am surprised you have seen those films! Always great to hear some foreigners know us more than for our troubled foreign affairs these days. You probably know more about our film industry than I do though! I can't even remember when the last time I visited a cinema here was! biggrin I am really not into our domestic films too much. They all cover the same topic, only from different angels... you know...

Thor wrote
    All of them were wonderful, although I can't remember much of the music. I won't comment on the political climate, but it seems like the Iranian film industry has begun to blossom in recent years.

Studios here usually don't care too much about the score in film productions. At least I think they don't. Very rarely do I hear anything that is structured, or has a pace or melody. Generally it is just pure random randomness, though they do often put in some work on a vocal song in hopes for it to become a hit (and frankly that's more likely to become a hit than the "background music", no?) I don't blame the people who compose the scores though. I am sure they all have "boundaries" to stick to, or their films won't be approved by the officials.

It is funny though. There was this big budget historical film they made here recently. It is called The Maritime Silk Road. It might come your way at some point, seeing how those titles you've mentioned had. I would have thought it is an amazing opportunity for a talented Iranian composer to shine. But when I looked at the poster some days ago, I saw a Korean name credited for music. Truly disappointing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks for the tip! I'm always on the look-out for interesting, non-Western films.

And may I just echo Timmer's sentiment that your English is impressive! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Welcome to both of you. As indicated before I'm the senior member of the board being 64 and I quite enjoy classical and golden age film music. In fact one of my favorite composers, Shostakovich, is both classical and film score. I'm currently reviewing his New Babylon work.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  2. Well Blu, you certainly have an excellent taste, you'll definitely fit in smile
    and as the other members already said, your excellent is wonderful
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Your excellent is indeed wonderful, but your English is even better! Welcome Blu from Iran. beer
  3. Steven wrote
    Your excellent is indeed wonderful, but your English is even better! Welcome Blu from Iran. beer

haha, indeed, sorry about that, am still dizzy after watching a superb martial arts film dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Welcome Blu! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote

LOL! biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2011
    extremely educated
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    Hi to everyone..:D .i supposed to be new here but im a long time poster at the Facebook group so many of you are knowing me from there already !All you need to know about me to start is written at my account. I dont know how frequent i can post here because Facebook keeps me busy but i will try to keep up with the interesting conversations . Cheers to everyone, Krisztina from Budapest, Hungary.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hiya Krisztina, welcome beer

I've seen your posts at facebook but I don't partake there, I much prefer it here and hope you'll join in here regularly too. smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Kri1985 wrote
    Hi to everyone..:D .i supposed to be new here but im a long time poster at the Facebook group so many of you are knowing me from there already !All you need to know about me to start is written at my account. I dont know how frequent i can post here because Facebook keeps me busy but i will try to keep up with the interesting conversations . Cheers to everyone, Krisztina from Budapest, Hungary.

Hi Krisztina! Welcome to the board. Glad to see another female enter our ranks. We really need it. And from Budapest too, one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked Krisztina!!!!!! shocked

bounce

Hiiii!
    Good to see you here!!! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011
    By the way, what facebook group are you speaking of? The maintitles group there (which I just joined) doesn't seem to be the most active??
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    Welcome Krisztina! wave

Funny that I watched Lion King as a kid at that age too. I remember I liked cues like the "Circle of Life song", the intro to "This Land", and the music from the ascension scene so much, but I didn't know back then that music like that gets released as an album. So I used our old tape recorder to record all those from the TV's speakers as the film was being played. Sound quality was terrible, and sound effects were all over the place. But then I could play them anywhere, without having TVs and VHS players. I really have to look that tape up, even if I have the album now. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    :-)....................Hi Timmer: Im usually on Facebook because there i can listen to the music the same time as i post it, but its true that nowadays its not really active. Its depending on.
    Thor: I saw you were in Ghent too, its a pity we couldnt introduce ourselves!!!!I see you had a photo moment with Zimmer as well..............what a great day/ concert it was. Yes i meant the Main Titles group...there were days when it was much more active!!
    Hi Martijn!!!!!!.........:D
    Blue: Hi!!!Of course .....i was always crying at the famous scene when Mufasa dies but mainly because of the music......., i couldnt get enough of it, i was playing the main motifs on my old keyboard as well!I had also the tape of Jurassic Park and i almost i killed it forward-rewinding it so many times to certain scenes..that remains my favourite John Williams score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    It's great to have another member living closer to me than Europe... and another girl too smile

Also great to have two more people who likes The Lion King wink

Welcome!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Miya wrote

biggrin applause

I forgot to say hi to Blu! shame
    Salam & khosh amadid, Blu! wave

I have seen only few Iranian films, but I really liked Zamani barayé masti asbha and Blackboards (especially the latter I thought was really strong!). And of course I've read and seen the excellent Persepolis, but I guess that is more ABOUT Iran than really FROM Iran. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    Hi Miya!!!!!!Yes we need more female point of views here;-)....Talking about the Lion King: have you seen the 3D version? They wont show it in Hungary unfortunately :-(((((
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I love the fact that over the last 5-6 posts, we have people from Hungary, Iran, The Netherlands, Japan and Norway talking to each other! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011 edited
    Miya wrote
    It's great to have another member living closer to me than Europe... and another girl too smile

Welcome!

Thank You, Miya.

Dozo yoroshiku! Good to be acquainted with someone from Japan too.

Martijn wrote
    I forgot to say hi to Blu! shame
    Salam & khosh amadid, Blu! wave

Hi Martijn! Thank you very much! (i.e. "khei-lee mam-noon", or "moteshakeram" if you want a more formal version.)

Martijn wrote
    I have seen only few Iranian films, but I really liked Zamani barayé masti asbha and Blackboards (especially the latter I thought was really strong!). And of course I've read and seen the excellent Persepolis, but I guess that is more ABOUT Iran than really FROM Iran. smile

Everybody seems to know our film industry! dizzy
    I agree, Persepolis is very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Kri1985 wrote

Welcome Krisztina! wave

Thor wrote
    I love the fact that over the last 5-6 posts, we have people from Hungary, Iran, The Netherlands, Japan and Norway talking to each other! smile

Add Denmark to that list. wink

Peter smile
  4. And Poland.

Good to have more girls and more people from Asia here. The more the merrier, especially that seemingly our Indian users lost interest in the forum.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website