• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Curious Case of Benjamin Button ([b]Desplat)[/b]

Turns out a top 5 of scores may be possible this year after all. This makes the fifth interesting score I've heard this year! wink

I'll be getting this too. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Is there a way to save the streaming from http://warnerbros2008.warnerbros.com/ba … ore/score1 to the hard disk? Or find them in a temporary internet files' folder or something?

Watch this video and use CDex or similar audio programs to record sound of your computer, while your microphone is signaled on the computer signal. Works like a charm!

http://youtube.jimmyr.com/tutorials/zg3vs7oh32s.php

thanks mate!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Being listening to The Thomas Crown Affair (Bill Conti version) the past couple of days. That has got to be one of my favorite piano themes. I think Brosnan is making a second one. The use of sinnerman at the end of the movie is amazing. What a well done scene.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    omaha wrote
    Being listening to The Thomas Crown Affair (Bill Conti version) the past couple of days. That has got to be one of my favorite piano themes. I think Brosnan is making a second one. The use of sinnerman at the end of the movie is amazing. What a well done scene.

I've really grown to love that Conti score, still not as good as the Legrand score but truly worthwhile. The film however is the opposite IMO, a better film than the original.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Miya wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: Meet Joe Black - Thomas Newman

shocked

I only know 5 of his works so far, but he's really becoming my another favorite composer...

10 minutes of finale That Next Place is fantastic! I love the main theme. I reminds me a bit of Nemo theme, but it's used more than in Nemo.

Meet Joe Black is a personal favorite of mine. What about ROAD TO PERDITION? Have you discovered that yet?

I saw the movie (it was great), and the score was also fantastic... but I don't have the album yet. It's not in the rental store/local library near my home (thanks to those places I can "get" many scores tongue ), so I'll buy it next time I get some money wink

I'm listening to the DVD audio commentary as we speak. I rented the movie over the weekend. I quite liked it too, and it's always been one of my favourite Thomas Newman scores too (translation: one of the Thomas Newman scores I can withstand the best), and seeing the movie probably made me appreciate it more. Although some of the ethereal bits still remain a bit too hazy.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote

I've really grown to love that Conti score, still not as good as the Legrand score but truly worthwhile. The film however is the opposite IMO, a better film than the original.

I have yet to scene the original, but am a Steve McQueen fan. I welcome this new one with Brosnan. Hope it holds the same feel as the previous.
  1. THE LOST WORLD - JOHN WILLIAMS

This is one kickass action score, gone are the beautiful wondrous melodies of the original, instead we get a raw, exciting action fest that is even more satisfying than Williams' later Star Wars offerings. I love the jungle rhythmic music and suspense cues which are fun to listen to. But the themes are also present, both old and new, though the new definitely overshadow the old. A very good one!!!

4 STARS
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE LOST WORLD - JOHN WILLIAMS

This is one kickass action score, gone are the beautiful wondrous melodies of the original, instead we get a raw, exciting action fest that is even more satisfying than Williams' later Star Wars offerings. I love the jungle rhythmic music and suspense cues which are fun to listen to. But the themes are also present, both old and new, though the new definitely overshadow the old. A very good one!!!

4 STARS

I love how it was a nod toward Lawrence of Arabia
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hah?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Hah?

Double hah?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008 edited
    omaha wrote
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote

I have yet to scene the original, but am a Steve McQueen fan. I welcome this new one with Brosnan. Hope it holds the same feel as the previous.

There's no way Brosnan and co can match the sexual chemistry of McQueen and Dunaway which, along with Legrand's score is the only reason for watching the original.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Hah?

Double hah?

The opening timpani hits. I thought that too when I first heard the LOST WORLD. But once you get past those few seconds the rest of the score has no relation to LAWRENCE OF ARABIA whatsoever!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote

There's no way Brosnan and co can match the sexual chemistry of McQueen and Dunaway which, along with Legrand's score is the only reason for watching the original.

It's not a great film but I always enjoy watching the original. The remake isn't great either - but I also always enjoy watching that! Legrand's score IS great, and Conti's is one of his best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Agony and the Ecstasy - Alex North

Does film music get any better than the first two tracks of this? (A rhetorical question; the answer is a resounding "no!")
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Hah?

Double hah?

The opening timpani hits. I thought that too when I first heard the LOST WORLD. But once you get past those few seconds the rest of the score has no relation to LAWRENCE OF ARABIA whatsoever!

-Erik-

I was referring to those timpani hits. And it was Spielberg I believe that Spielberg made the film as a kind of tribute toward Lawrence of Arabia. For some reason I though it was Williams scoring as a tribute toward Lawrence of Arabia.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    omaha wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Hah?

Double hah?

-Erik-

I was referring to those timpani hits. And it was Spielberg I believe that Spielberg made the film as a kind of tribute toward Lawrence of Arabia. For some reason I though it was Williams scoring as a tribute toward Lawrence of Arabia.

The Lost World a tribute to Lawrence of Arabia!? That's one of the strangest things I've ever read! Are you sure!?
  2. Yes, I've heard Williams mention that. It was only the beginning, though.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    But in what way does The Lost World resemble Lawrence of Arabia? (I mean the film, not the score.)
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Southall wrote
    But in what way does The Lost World resemble Lawrence of Arabia? (I mean the film, not the score.)

I thought it was just the score. But if it wasn't it must have been the film.
  3. Southall wrote

It was Spielberg's notion that LOST WORLD would be his 'grand entertainment', the old cinema feeling, complete with a recollection of the overture of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA at the start. The film also throws out some big references to Cooper's film of KING KONG quite late as well, apparently for similar reasons.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Batman for me right now.
    What a theme... cheesy

Also, the finale is some of the most heroic music ever!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote

It was Spielberg's notion that LOST WORLD would be his 'grand entertainment', the old cinema feeling, complete with a recollection of the overture of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA at the start. The film also throws out some big references to Cooper's film of KING KONG quite late as well, apparently for similar reasons.

Yeah, I can see the King Kong thing more easily. Not one of Spielberg's finer hours though!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - The curious case of Benjamin Button

Was right to expect so much out of this score before i "closed" my verdict for this year, score-wise. Mr.Desplat's latest effort is easily the most delicate and outstandingly beautiful musical work of 2008, proving once again the man's musicianship and refined talent.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    omaha wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Hah?

Double hah?

-Erik-

I was referring to those timpani hits.

Just had a listen, and I got the reference.
    Very nice, and very subtle. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Southall wrote

Because one of the dinosaurs also gets raped in a Turkish prison.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button Alexandre Desplat

Very very interesting. Very relaxing too.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    HeeroJF wrote
    Southall wrote

Because one of the dinosaurs also gets raped in a Turkish prison.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

I once wrote a huge paper on TE Lawrence. Interesting fellow.
    He may have like the rape in the Turkish prison... slant
    and little boys... slant slant slant slant slant shame

But none of this is proven...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Steven wrote

This is great stuff! Elegant, quirky, serene, relaxing and genuinely interesting all throughout the 1 hour running time.

What's with the sudden rush of excellent scores? is 2008 determined to be better than 2007?? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    omaha wrote
    He may have like the rape in the Turkish prison... slant

Liked being the victim of rape?
    That would make him a more disturbing fellow than I would have thought likely,
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Steven wrote

This is great stuff! Elegant, quirky, serene, relaxing and genuinely interesting all throughout the 1 hour running time.

What's with the sudden rush of excellent scores? is 2008 determined to be better than 2007?? dizzy

This really sounds right up my alley!