• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008
    RV: Gears Of War 2 Steve Jablonsky

Like I said, it's one of those guilty pleasures everyone loves to hate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

Can't wait to hear it!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It certainly has some Transformerisms, which I'm glad about. Very typical MV/RC military action score with Jablonsky's slightly semi-unique melodic writing. Good stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Eight Below - Mark Isham

When I saw this film for the first time, I liked Isham's music itself, but at the same time I was a bit disappointed... because I expected more "icy" sounds like in Vangelis's Antarctica (Eight Below is a remake of that Japanese film). I thought it's too warm for the icy land!

But after finishing the film, I changed my mind. It's very different from the documentary-style film Antarctica, but still very good as one of the "Disney's dog movies" like Homeward Bound. So this type of orchestral score fits the movie very well. Different movie needs different score.

And now I'm listening to it on the album, and I like it even more. Not only the grand orchestral music but also quiet emotional moments and playful parts such as Bird Doggin'.

I like the main theme, it sounds grand, but I have one complaint about it... isn't it too short? I felt this theme has only one part, and it repeats many times but never goes further. (I don't know how to explain it in musical terms... I hope you can understand what I mean! dizzy )
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008 edited
    NP: Antarctica - Vangelis

icy cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's snowing over here! shocked

Time to whip out Christmas-themed soundtracks methinks.
    I have a couple of them lying about I never got round listening to (a Broughton and a McKenzie, if I'm not mistaken..though I can't even remember the titles now!
    How music-obsessed is that?)
    christmas_drunk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

Yeah, I remember seeing that film!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Miserable snow today. In fact, if it wasn't for the dark background of this country, I wouldn't even notice the snow.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Yeah, I remember seeing that film!

Yay. Someone noticed. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    It's snowing over here! shocked

Time to whip out Christmas-themed soundtracks methinks.
    I have a couple of them lying about I never got round listening to (a Broughton and a McKenzie, if I'm not mistaken..though I can't even remember the titles now!
    How music-obsessed is that?)
    christmas_drunk

For me it would be time to play Vaughan Williams Symphonia Antartica or it's film score Scott of The Antarctic.....it don't come more snowbound than this. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Afrika Wataru Hohyama

Contender for best score of the year. Certainly the Golden Age of game music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's a game score?
    I had no idea...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yup, tis a game. Not that you can tell anymore from listening to game scores these days. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Point well taken. There's a LOT of truly excellent game score material out there.
    (And more than enough drivvel as well, of course)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm not so keen on games scores where every cue sounds like the last one. Gears Of War is like that to some degree, but there's just enough diversity there to keep my interest. Afrika is on a completely different continent let alone ball park.

See what I did there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    or March of the Penguins!!!!!

It is still hot here 80 degrees
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    In Harms Way by Goldsmith an interesting but fairly typical score from him
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    I'm not so keen on games scores where every cue sounds like the last one. Gears Of War is like that to some degree, but there's just enough diversity there to keep my interest. Afrika is on a completely different continent let alone ball park.

Good!
    Many game scores that are out there are actually game rips, which feature like three hours of music, much of which is redundant, or even uninteresting. I should really go through all of mine and make some "listenable playlists", but the sheer Herculanean size of the task has so far deterred me from actually taking action.

See what I did there.

Yeah, you think Africa is a park.
    That's SO jingoistic of you! rolleyes

Neo-colonialist!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Jerry did some nice cool jazz for In Harm's Way. I'd love to hear some improv on the tune
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Pinocchio by Nicola Piovani

Very pleasant and melodic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Steven wrote
    Afrika Wataru Hohyama

I beg to differ. For me the Golden Age of game music were the days of the SNES, compounded by the superb NES days. I'm not kidding, too.

Aaaargh! I envy all you people who got snow!! Baltimore is looking drearily urban and without a speck of snow... I hope we get some for Christmas.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Harry Potter and the PHILOSOPHER'S Stone... christ John Williams

Fine album, fine score. It's Christmasy-sounding and I've just had some port. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Harry Potter and the PHILOSOPHER'S Stone... christ John Williams

Fine album, fine score. It's Christmasy-sounding and I've just had some port. cool

MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....poooorrrrrt! lick

NP : ANTARCTICA - Vangelis

After Miya mentioned it I thought I'd give it a spin. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    JP: The Mummy 3, Randy Edelman

NP: Ice Age: The Meltdown, John Powell

WP: Inspector Gadget, John Debney
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  1. JP?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just Played.
    Or Jurassic Park (which would make this the oldest mummy in history).
  2. Glory - James Horner

This remains my favorite score ever. I'm listening the spectacular end credits piece. I love it when the end credits get an original composition (even if this is restating several themes (as long as it restates them SO beautifully!).
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    christopher wrote
    Glory - James Horner

This remains my favorite score ever. I'm listening the spectacular end credits piece. I love it when the end credits get an original composition (even if this is restating several themes (as long as it restates them SO beautifully!).

Indeed. The good old Star Wars technique. In the heydays of my collection I really thought it was common practice for every composer to do that.

PawelStroinski wrote
    JP?
    Martijn wrote
    Just Played.
    Or Jurassic Park (which would make this the oldest mummy in history).

Perspicacious indeed! And "WP" is "Will play." In fact just a few more tracks before I switch to Debney.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Afrika Wataru Hohyama

Indeed, beautiful music.

http://www.scoringsessions.com/video/1/
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Yup, tis a game. Not that you can tell anymore from listening to game scores these days. shocked

How i love it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.