• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2008
    NP: Scorpio from Fielding. Quite a mixture of material
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    As for Tyler banging and Zimmer's raw, rude, loud rock-esque orchestral chords, the fact that you consider them childish doesn't make them any inferior than what they are nor any superior 'cause i consider them kick-ass.

I agree with a great many of the points you make in most of the topics at this forum, but your continued defence of Brian Tyler is something that seems rather out-of-character for you. I have read and 100% agreed with several posts you have made about the deterioration of standard film music - in which you've been pretty harsh on people for over-praising extremely simplistic (intellectually as well as technically) music - and yet you continue to offer nothing but the highest praise to Tyler, whose music seems to fall squarely into the category of stuff you criticise everyone else for writing. I find it very odd and wonder if there's some deeper reason for it than the music alone?

What did you expect me to say? I am in love with him? rolleyes biggrin tongue

HeeroJF wrote

Christodoulides wrote
    Seriously, i truly consider as on a purely musical level, to discuss the possibility of Goldenthal pulling out anything musical on any musical genre that has to do with film, is a bit ridiculous itself. Imo, Goldenthal is currently and on all the levels that concern us, up there with the absolute top composers of the medium; most of them aren't with us anymore.

I'm a bit lost in your turn of phrase. What point are you making? It's ridiculous to say that Goldenthal could do any film, or couldn't? Anyways, are you essentially saying good things about the man? If so then hellsya, I'm in full agreement, whatever you said! cheesy His music is amazing.

Sorry mate, i apologize, forgot a letter or two there wink What i wanted to say is that yeah, he can do pretty much everything and way better than many others today which is why i think it's a bit ridiculous to ask "but would Goldenthal be able to do that and do the other thing and fit with the movie's character" etc etc; 'cause pretty much yeah; i think he can do basically everything and do it brilliantly.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2008
    NP:Blood Diamond (JNH)

Im in some kind of Ethnic Mood.

The softer parts of this scores are real winners. The action stuff is pretty cool too, even if it's a more melodic version of BHD.

Good score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Swing Kids - James Horner

Lovely score. A mix bag of A Man Without A Face, the quiet moments of The Pelican Brief, swing music and the four note danger motif! I simply adore Horner's French Horn solos. And my grade of Boy In Striped PJ's has gone down a few notches.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Nautilus wrote
    more melodic version of BHD.

Bad Hair Day?

Christodoulides wrote
    Sorry mate, i apologize, forgot a letter or two there wink What i wanted to say is that yeah, he can do pretty much everything and way better than many others today which is why i think it's a bit ridiculous to ask "but would Goldenthal be able to do that and do the other thing and fit with the movie's character" etc etc; 'cause pretty much yeah; i think he can do basically everything and do it brilliantly.

Ah yes, I understand. It's true. Also, we were talking about whether "could Goldenthal bend his style to fit this or that request?" but the man doesn't sell out: he stays true to his style and it always works. I think the best example might be Final Fantasy. His usual style is probably the one in ALL of Hollywood AND Japan that's the farthest from Nobuo Uematsu's highly melodic, traditional and thematic style, and therefore his name came as a huge surprise to fans when it was announced, but guess what: he stuck to his guns and made it work.

(Uematsu is the composer of the Final Fantasy video game series, but, really, I shouldn't have to say this, should I? Obviously everyone here has a complete set of FF soundtracks on their shelves?? shocked )
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    True; his love theme for FINAL FANTASY is as melodic and fragile as almost nothing else he ever written. Talking about adapting to the musical needs of each movie he scores, i can't believe he's the same man behind the breezy jazzy offbeat nature of THE GOOD THIEF for instance or the pure dark gem that is HEAT and then go into delivering something as huge, raw and evil as Sphere, Alien 3, In Dreams, Pet Sematary and Cobb and then swing through the goth grandeur of Interview with the Vampire and then jump to the modern, RC on steroids of musicianship that is S.W.A.T. then into Golden Gate or Michael Collins or even the epic marvel that is Titus and then jump to something completely different as in FRIDA......the man's a modern genius and he's proven he can do just about everything above the majority of others.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Swing Kids - James Horner

Lovely score. A mix bag of A Man Without A Face, the quiet moments of The Pelican Brief, swing music and the four note danger motif! I simply adore Horner's French Horn solos. And my grade of Boy In Striped PJ's has gone down a few notches.

-Erik-

Oh no. Mine too. sad
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Anthony wrote
    Bolt | John Powell

What a pants release! Confirming my suspicions, from the get go, this falls into Disney's "let's shit over everything and sell it" game plan.

What I'm sure is quite a good score is totally wrecked by a horribly short length and disgusting editing in post. They couldn't even leave "Scooter Chase" alone - and that annoys me - I've waited years for Powell to write action music like this again, and they just cut it all up for no apparent reason.

And what's with the edited in fades at the ends of cues? Why can't you let the echo or the orchestra end properly? Why must you fade it out prematurely?

I hope for the life of me something better leaks out as I know for a fact there is a lot more good music in this movie.

vomit

2/5

Wooooooow! That's why I love Disney! They're so educational! They teach us kids what we should expect in the real world... you can't always get everything you want. *Mickey voice* Haha! That's life! It's no fairy tale!

vomit vomit vomit

...and then we kids get into the dark side aka "bootleg world". rolleyes
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Miya wrote
    you can't always get everything you want.

You can't always give people what they want. cry
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote
    The Incredibles | Michael Giacchino

Now why didn't Disney shit all over this release? This is EXCELLENT stuff.

I imagine how it works is that the album gets a budget which the album producer then chooses how to spend. Giacchino was producer of that album and I assume Powell wasn't the producer of Bolt?

Does movie directors/producers have any power on soundtrack releases? Pixar movies always has good score release. I guess Pixar guys care for scores, but maybe most people at Disney Animation Studio don't...

NP: 2 Clips of BOLT http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/bolt/
    (I downloaded from iTunes)
    crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    HeeroJF wrote
    Miya wrote

But at least they should try to do. sad

NP: Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea - Joe Hisaishi

Mickey has much to learn from Totoro.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Miya wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Miya wrote

But at least they should try to do. sad

I know. But that seems to be the message Disney gives us as adults. That you got to give the public what you decide they should want.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Sort of related and unrelated at the same time. Disneyland charges 10 year olds as adults. Since when are 10 year olds adults?

NP: Planet Earth - George Fenton

Very good music. I don't usually listen to both disks all the way through in a row, but I might tonight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    when they are admitted to Disneyland cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: A Study In Terror...John Scott
    Since I like Sherlock Holmes movies how can I go wrong
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Lethal Weapon cool
    Kamen is the man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: My Neighbor Totoro - Joe Hisaishi

My first soundtrack. Love the score. Love the songs. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Beyond Rangoon (Zimmer)

Im playing my signed copy of this score.

I wonder how much of this score is real instrumentation...(Pan Pipes and the vocalist aside).

and another question...Why the vocalist is not credited on the album? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hook John Williams

Real magic. It's like being a kid again! I'll be playing this one a lot over Christmas to get me in the festive mood.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Hook John Williams

Real magic. It's like being a kid again! I'll be playing this one a lot over Christmas to get me in the festive mood.

Feeling Christmasy yet? I'm not.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Hook John Williams

Feeling Christmasy yet? I'm not.

I am after listening to that score. Oh, and it's cold.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Nautilus wrote

I wonder how much of this score is real instrumentation...(Pan Pipes and the vocalist aside).

I did this job as volunteer work... I didn't want my name flashed all over the media.

NP: Kung Fu Panda
    Which, for some Dreamworks-Only-Knows reason, is giving my media player trouble, what with all the crazy extra features I never asked for. Ahh, here we go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    HeeroJF wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I did this job as volunteer work... I didn't want my name flashed all over the media.

biggrin

NP The Stoning of Soraya M. (John Debney) - web cues -

I´m gonna love this one. The four cues featured in Debney´s web are really beautiful. Looking forward for more.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That title sounds damn disturbing. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    "A shocking and true drama, it exposes the dark power of mob rule, uncivil law, and the utter lack of human rights for women. The last and only hope for some measure of justice lies in the hands of the journalist who must escape with the story -- and his life -- so the world will know".

http://www.thestoning.com/

Seems like the kind of film Debney gets deeply involved with, an judging for the clips, he has done it like he did with The Passion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah.

I think I'll pass on this film.
    Too much of that happening far too often in real life.
    I'm fuming too much about those goddamn barbarian bastards as it is to the point of supporting nuking entire continents, which definitely isn't good for my blood pressure or my reputation as a moderate and diplomatic force in the universe. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah.

I think I'll pass on this film.
    Too much of that happening far too often in real life.
    I'm fuming too much about those goddamn barbarian bastards as it is to the point of supporting nuking entire continents, which definitely isn't good for my blood pressure or my reputation as a moderate and diplomatic force in the universe. slant

Well, you can enjoy the music then wink

http://www.johndebney.com/debney.php -> filmography
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    A reasonable suggestion. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Sinbad: Legend Of The Seven Seas - Harry Gregson-Williams

Just fun. Nothing emotional or beautiful things on this score but it's just fun to listen!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Wanted - Danny Elfman

I remember like this more than I have this morning. I think the song is dynamite and "Success Montage" contains one of themes of the year... and is one of the best cues of the year. Unfortunately, after that and until we get to the middle portions of the album I'm left rather bored. But once we get to "Rats" and the wonderful incorporation of the song theme in "The Train" and "Revenge" does the score start getting interesting. The first half is typical Elfman noodling with hard rock guitars, trademark electronics all backed by symphony orchestra. Nothing new really. But it's the latter half of the album that you want to pay attention to and really makes up for the lackluster first half. "Fox's Decision" is the emotional centre piece of the score which brings in a full chorus (not just aahing children) and sends shivers down your spine like Elfman has done before with previous choral cues. It's also great to hear Elfman channel Jimi once more in a score. Portions of this score brings me back to Dead Presidents.

Even though we have that straightforward Elfman on auto-pilot opening I still think this is one of the finest efforts of the year. And after seeing Hellboy II and hearing that score in context there is no doubt that Wanted is Elfman's best effort of the year!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!