• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. ARMAGEDDON COMPLETE (RABIN & GREGSON-WILLIAMS)

This complete edition brings so much more new fantastic material to Rabin's composed stuff, it elevates it to a whole new level. One of my personal favorites from both composers, the themes are great, the action cues are riveting, as synth-based action scoring I rate this up there with Crimson Tide, Broken Arrow and The Peacemaker: all scores I enjoy tremendously.

4 STARS
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2008
    DreamTheater wrote
    ARMAGEDDON COMPLETE (RABIN & GREGSON-WILLIAMS)

One of my personal favorites from both composers, the themes are great, the action cues are riveting, as synth-based action scoring I rate this up there with Crimson Tide, Broken Arrow and The Peacemaker: all scores I enjoy tremendously.

4 STARS

Agreed! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2008 edited
    NP: The Rock - Hans, Nick, Harry, Steven, Don, John...
    punk

Great action score. Exciting themes, great action passages, lots of diverse arrangements, and loads of unabashed fun. The official release was the first soundtrack CD I actually bought and I had to buy a new one later since disc got so scratched up after being played so many time. I would love to buy an official complete version of this score, but until then...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Played: Hook and Empire of the Sun

and now...

Far & Away John Williams

I'm rekindling my love of film music (not that I ever need to), and I'm remembering how magical John Williams' music can be. Listening to these scores today has been such a wonderful change of pace to a lot of the heartless action scores I've been listening to recently. cool

love
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2008 edited
    NP: City of Ember - Andrew Lockington

So far... sleep

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Wanted - Danny Elfman

... And after seeing Hellboy II and hearing that score in context there is no doubt that Wanted is Elfman's best effort of the year!

-Erik-

Damning a score by praising another? wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

... And after seeing Hellboy II and hearing that score in context there is no doubt that Wanted is Elfman's best effort of the year!

-Erik-

Damning a score by praising another? wink

Well, Hellboy II isn't a terrible score... it's actually rather good... but Wanted is much better! Plus, a few months ago I mentioned that I was conflicted as to which was better. Well, I think I've made up my mind.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Beyond Rangoon (Zimmer)

Im playing my signed copy of this score.

I wonder how much of this score is real instrumentation...(Pan Pipes and the vocalist aside).

and another question...Why the vocalist is not credited on the album? dizzy

I did this job as volunteer work... I didn't want my name flashed all over the media.

biggrin

NP The Stoning of Soraya M. (John Debney) - web cues -

I´m gonna love this one. The four cues featured in Debney´s web are really beautiful. Looking forward for more.

Is it a new assignment? Is this going to get released?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Meh, you've probably already seen my views on that one, but while I'm slowly warming up to Wanted, to me Standard Operating Procedure is classic Elfman. My favourite of his since Corpse Bride.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wanted - Danny Elfman

Because it's so topical. And because it's so good.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Played: Hook and Empire of the Sun

and now...

Far & Away John Williams

I'm rekindling my love of film music (not that I ever need to), and I'm remembering how magical John Williams' music can be. Listening to these scores today has been such a wonderful change of pace to a lot of the heartless action scores I've been listening to recently. cool

love

smile beer

NP : GHOSTBUSTERS - Elmer Bernstein

Love it! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    HeeroJF wrote
    ...to me Standard Operating Procedure is classic Elfman.

I wouldn't call S.O.P. classic Elfman. It's a completely brand new sound for him. Classic Elfman is Beetlejuice, Batman, Edward Scissorhands, etc.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Far and Away - John Williams

A characteristically excellent theme, but an uncharacteristically dull album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2008
    NP: The Phantom of the Opera (Special Edition) - Andrew Lloyd Webber

Great soundtrack, though the voices (particularly the Phantom's) are a bit off at certain points. As for the orchestra, however, I couldn't be happier.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

Ummm... wow! No! A few dull cues especially the uninteresting twinkling of the Shannon and Joseph music but there is a lot to like about this score and album. But if you aren't a fan of Celtic music then this album is murder to your ears.

NP: On The Waterfront: Suite - Leonard Bernstein
    performed by the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra

This is my introduction to the music from On The Waterfront and boy what an introduction it is. This suite is comprised of 6 movements but it actually one long 22 plus minute tone poem. A mind blowing suite. The last time I felt this way about a concert work based on a film score was John Corigliano's magnificent "Chaconne For Violin and Orchestra" from The Red Violin. The sound quality is an audiophile's wet dream! I can't wait to play this one again. And there is no doubting the influence this score had on Jerry Goldsmith when it came time to write his score for L.A. Confidential.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Ummm... wow! No! A few dull cues especially the uninteresting twinkling of the Shannon and Joseph music but there is a lot to like about this score and album. But if you aren't a fan of Celtic music then this album is murder to your ears.

That's my problem, I think. I just don't like Irish music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

I wouldn't call S.O.P. classic Elfman. It's a completely brand new sound for him. Classic Elfman is Beetlejuice, Batman, Edward Scissorhands, etc.

-Erik-

S.O.P is more like classic GLass. But so good. Erik's right on the other point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Oh i can relate to that SO VERY MUCH! bbbbbrrrrrrrrrr
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

I do!

But I can think of far better celtic sounding albums. That's not to say that I don't enjoy Far And Away because I do!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

NP: On The Waterfront: Suite - Leonard Bernstein
    performed by the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra

This is my introduction to the music from On The Waterfront and boy what an introduction it is. This suite is comprised of 6 movements but it actually one long 22 plus minute tone poem. A mind blowing suite. The last time I felt this way about a concert work based on a film score was John Corigliano's magnificent "Chaconne For Violin and Orchestra" from The Red Violin. The sound quality is an audiophile's wet dream! I can't wait to play this one again. And there is no doubting the influence this score had on Jerry Goldsmith when it came time to write his score for L.A. Confidential.

-Erik-

Leonard was a genius!

You should check out his other orchestral works Erik.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Erik Woods wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

-Erik-

I agree wholeheartedly that classic Elfman is indeed Beetlejuice, Batman, Edward Scissorhands, but that is exactly what I meant. S.O.P. does remind me of those. I agree it's one step removed, sure, but I feel it's a much more natural progression going from those scores to S.O.P. than going from those same scores to The Kingdom, Hulk or Planet of the Apes. The leap in styles there is huge.

NP: In Too Deep, Revisited
    This is a companion album to Christopher Young's urban score In Too Deep. I got this totally by accident, but I'm rather liking it so far. It's got some interesting mixes of jazz/hip/eerie sounds.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

I am also Spartacus!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    But I can think of far better celtic sounding albums.

Just out of interest Tim, what would you consider to be one of the better celtic sounding albums?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Braveheart, The Devil's Own and The Mighty!! punk

personally speaking...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Mini-Sloths Sing-a-Long!

Sometimes I have a sudden urge to hear this song. And sing along. dizzy
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

I am also Spartacus!

You all need to be crucified and put out as festive decorations alongside the Via Appia.

Far And Away is a bloody marvellous album, with killer themes, a rush of action cues and some of the most lyrical work in Williams' later oeuvre. I bloody love that score (though yeah, it helps that I do enjoy the "celtic sound" and The Chieftains in particular.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. NP: Night (Cesary Scubizewski)

Definitely one of the best new scores of the year. Non-verbal documentary films always do well in the music department.
  5. That's how he spells his name in Australia?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Conan the destroyer (Poledouris)

How I said the orchestra must be tortured in the most paintul way, but the score is pretty good.

The heroic theme is highly addictive.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote
    But I can think of far better celtic sounding albums.

Just out of interest Tim, what would you consider to be one of the better celtic sounding albums?

"Far better" was an exaggeration because I really love JW's Far And Away.

Braveheart is brilliant, Rob Roy, and Martijn's mention of The Chieftans, I love early Clannad too.