• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Yup, tis a game. Not that you can tell anymore from listening to game scores these days. shocked

How i love it.

That's why I don't love it... What's the point of being a "different" musical media if you're not going to be different at all?

Mind you, it's true: games have changed. They've become much more cinematic, so of course they need scores that are indiscernible from the real thing. But why can't we still have straightforward thematic scores for straightforward action games anymore... Sigh. Gone are the days of Contra...
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Who said it should be different? Where it says so? After all games are moving more and more into movie territories day by day; looks, concept, philosophy, everything. And i'd take a big-ass orchestral score for a game over dead-forsaken crappy MIDI age anytime.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think it's only natural that we're getting game scores like this now. Games are becoming quite sophisticated, which calls for more sophisticated music. That's a bloody good thing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Who said it should be different? Where it says so? After all games are moving more and more into movie territories day by day; looks, concept, philosophy, everything. And i'd take a big-ass orchestral score for a game over dead-forsaken crappy MIDI age anytime.

That's the very point I made: games are becoming more and more like movies everyday. I'm not saying it should be different. Just pointing out that it used to be. And in that evolution we've effectively lost an art form. There's now no such thing as "Game music" vs. "Film music". It's now all just "Scores", no matter what media it was written for.

Game music as a distinctive art form is dead. But that's why there are bands out there who specialize in the rockin' performing of classic 8- and 16-bit game themes. With these heaven-sent musicians you can listen to these amazing themes in all their intended glory without being plagued by the old-fashioned sound systems (compared to which MIDI is already a step-up!) if that truly bothers you.

The mini-bosses is a particularly well-known band name in that regard. It's the only one I can think of at the moment but there are others. I went to a con that had a succession of these guys playing all evening. I was in bliss, and exhausted by the end.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I would be hard-pressed to consider (ancient) game tunes a distinctive art form.
    I admire -having done a bit of arranging on the old Commodore 64 and the Amiga myself- the creativity and the craft going into them, having to create a theme with a maximum polyphony of two to four notes (including percussion), but an art form?
    It's just a theme.
    And some incidental background music that especially in platform games was -of necessity- as repetetive as you could get.

Modern-day games echo that, even if they are more cinematic: there still usually a strong theme (in wry contrast to many movies these days), and a number of cues that follow the on-screen action. In RPGs you tend to get multiple themes for background settings and characters.
    Generally it's very much in the old MV-library vein (let's insert Epic Horns here and Eerie Strings there), but there's a lot of great stuff out there.

But whether or not it's better or worse than, say, The Last Ninja or Monkey Island?
    <shrug>
    A theme's a theme, and a good composer is a good composer, whatever the platform.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Midi art?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's not worse than any other form of musical minimalism, D. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008 edited
    Oh it is. Its sound is horrible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008
    I rest my case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Let it remain resting. I prefer my case. tongue

Have you gone to the Mini-Boss site I linked earlier??? It embodies why I never liked pop music, because rock 'n roll bands could never have been as amazing as this is, with their all-too-often uninspired melodies and vocals that get in the way. These tunes rock. And to hear them performed professionally is such a blessing when you've grown to love them as a child in their limited -very limited- original versions.

And I never said Mini was art, or the NES sound system. The compositional styles involved in writing these soundtracks is what I referred to. Not their recording techniques. Believe me, I wish today's synth systems could've been programmed into consoles of the time, but they just couldn't. It doesn't change the fact that musically speaking countless amazing tunes were born in those times, and the best thing a fan can do today is revisit them with good-sounding remixes.

Granted a theme is a theme, but man did the 80's game themes rock.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Man, someone is looking at his childhood through rose-tinted glasses... tongue

wink

I enjoy a good remix (and there's a lot of them, not to mention orchestral renditions!) of an old C64 or Amiga game theme as much as the next geek, but I don't think they'll ever be the turn-on for me as they seem to be for you. In fact, seeing the many modules come out for modern-day synths that emulate eighties MIDI sound emulators, designed to emulate real sounds make my head spin. And all of my music producing friends use them as well... Gah! Nostalgia is NOT what it used to be!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Hm, I'm not sure I see the kind of modules you're referring to. But agreed: nothing will ever sound better than a live performance, be it an orchestra or rock band. Just gotta give them good material. smile

It's true, nostalgia has a lot to do with it, but it's more than just that. Even today I hear some old NES tunes for the first time, from games I never did play back then, and I'm able to appreciate them.
    • CommentAuthorviolaone
  1. Loved it! smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorviolaone
    • CommentAuthorviolaone
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I usually don't listen to game music (because I don't play any games these days), but I happened to find this CD-ROM in the shelf...

NP: The Manhole - Chris Brandkamp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Manhole

Anyone else played it as a child? It was my favorite game! While most other kids used to play Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy on Nintendo, I used to play these HyperCard games like The Manhole (both in black-and-white and in color), Cosmic Osmo, Spelunx or drawing software KidPix on old Macintosh... I also played Myst a little, but it was a bit too difficult (and scary) for me at that time biggrin

I always loved to hear the introduction music... I do love it even now. LOL I can remember, it's the music played in Mr. Rabbit's room! And Penguin's! Oh and now it's from Narnia's lamppost forest... cool

(And I was really surprised when all the track titles and the composer name appeared on iTunes)

I must check whether it's still playable on my iBook...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF

Thank you for coming to my rescue! whiew.

I was there, at that concert when it came to DC! One of the highlights of my life.

NP: The Mighty, Trevor Jones
    Wonderful, wonderful score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

Well D, my first contact with what we call today score was at the age of 7 when I got my first MSX. I can´t describe what I felt while playing Metal Gear, Nemesis, Gradius, Penguin Adventure, etc. The music was part of the game, exactly as today, and I´m talking about the 80´s!

And I´m bot being nostalgic remembering my childhood and all this; that music was really good, no matter how it sounds today. It followed the action, it had themes / subthemes and was perfectly integrated. Ok, it was not Medal of Honor or Lair (not that they had the technology or the money to do it). So for those of us that discovered the score world in that time this music stands as a highlight in our lifes.

HeeroJF wrote
    It's true, nostalgia has a lot to do with it, but it's more than just that. Even today I hear some old NES tunes for the first time, from games I never did play back then, and I'm able to appreciate them.

Totally agree. You speak of NES, but I go even backwards, to the times of MXS, Amiga and Atari. Those were the pioneers to reach what we have today (including the symphonic scores we are now so used to).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Well D, my first contact with what we call today score was at the age of 7 when I got my first MSX. I can´t describe what I felt while playing Metal Gear, Nemesis, Gradius, Penguin Adventure, etc. The music was part of the game, exactly as today, and I´m talking about the 80´s!

And I´m bot being nostalgic remembering my childhood and all this; that music was really good, no matter how it sounds today. It followed the action, it had themes / subthemes and was perfectly integrated. Ok, it was not Medal of Honor or Lair (not that they had the technology or the money to do it). So for those of us that discovered the score world in that time this music stands as a highlight in our lifes.

Well Marcel my friend, i can understand that. But if you exclude that factor and subject that music to someone who isn't bond with that as such, i.e. someone like me, it does sound horrible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    It's snowing over here! shocked

Time to whip out Christmas-themed soundtracks methinks.

Same thought here. I played The Nativity Story yesterday and today again.
    Not just because it's like winter, it's also one of my favourite scores of recent years.
    Although I have to admit it's a bit blasphemic to play Silens Nox with St Nicholas still in the country!!
    No Christmas until he's gone!

(Alright... christmas_drunk )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LAST OF THE MOHICANS - Trevor Jones

Stirring stuff! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Afrika Wataru Hokoyama

Addicted. I had the theme stuck in my head all friggin night last night... slant
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Afrika Wataru Hokoyama

Addicted. I had the theme stuck in my head all friggin night last night... slant

Great! I'm glad I'm waiting for this then. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Afrika Wataru Hokoyama

Definitely worth waiting until Christmas! If I'd ordered the CD, I'd have waited too... I mean, um, I did order the CD...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Afrika Wataru Hokoyama

Definitely worth waiting until Christmas! If I'd ordered the CD, I'd have waited too... I mean, um, I did order the CD...

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ATONEMENT - Dario Marianelli

Great score to a great film, this is gorgeous. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - John Williams

Excellent score, though the OST really doesn't do it justice.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE 49th PARALLEL - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Excellent score for a superb WWII drama in Canada.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    NP: The Life Before Her Eyes, James Horner
    As big a Horner fan as I am, I still find it difficult to get into this score. There have been some famous "ethereal" Horner scores before, but even those had hooks you eventually learned to sink into. This one, wow, there's barely even any ether in this ethereal work. But the 12-minute finale makes it worth it.

I'll play Hancock afterwards to rise the energy level a bit.