• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote

NP : QUANTUM OF SOLACE - David Arnold

First listen

And...?

Don't ask! I don't want to hear it! IGNORANCE IS BLISS!!!!

Speaking of ignorance, I'm in the mood for some religious flavoured music...

The Da Vinci Code Hans Zimmer

Fine album, over-the-top score.
  1. NP: Babe (Nigel Westlake)

After totally brilliant Goldsmith I was in the mood for something light, but great nonetheless... I am listening to my (mostly) dialogue-free copy, which is how the score should have been presented in the first place. I decided to make my own, after being totally frustrated with the album: singing mice, talking pigs, and hysterical humans. crazy crazy Dammit I want the music, and the music alone. Which is exactly what I did! Aaaah... much better! cheesy Some of this music is truly more beautiful than needless words can describe.

4 STARS
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Valkyrie (John Ottman)

I can´t get rid of Ottman´s "They'll Remember You". What a fine and memorable theme!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote

First listen

And...?

Don't ask! I don't want to hear it! IGNORANCE IS BLISS!!!!

Speaking of ignorance, I'm in the mood for some religious flavoured music...

The Da Vinci Code Hans Zimmer

Fine album, over-the-top score.

Well, after the first track I thought "here we go" rolleyes slant But I have to say, considering some of the negative comments directed at this score, that I really quite enjoyed it, the pan flutes can go take a hike but some of the action material really grabbed me, there was a particular riff that was very catchy; and I thought the Barryesque underscore in tracks 8 & 9 were splendid.

I'll have to give it a second listen to really get a handle on it but I have to say that I'm looking forward to a second listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    NP: Babe (Nigel Westlake)

After totally brilliant Goldsmith I was in the mood for something light, but great nonetheless... I am listening to my (mostly) dialogue-free copy, which is how the score should have been presented in the first place. I decided to make my own, after being totally frustrated with the album: singing mice, talking pigs, and hysterical humans. crazy crazy Dammit I want the music, and the music alone. Which is exactly what I did! Aaaah... much better! cheesy Some of this music is truly more beautiful than needless words can describe.

4 STARS

You could always buy Saint-Saens symphony # 3 ? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

First listen

Well, after the first track I thought "here we go" rolleyes slant But I have to say, considering some of the negative comments directed at this score, that I really quite enjoyed it, the pan flutes can go take a hike but some of the action material really grabbed me, there was a particular riff that was very catchy; and I thought the Barryesque underscore in tracks 8 & 9 were splendid.

I'll have to give it a second listen to really get a handle on it but I have to say that I'm looking forward to a second listen.

Unfortunately the score does end on a bit of a whimper on album, there's no final cue to wrap the whole thing up. But that's a minor quibble I suppose, because I really enjoy the score. The action music is particularly bad-ass, ala 'Time To Get Out', 'The Palio', 'Pursuit At Port Au Prince' and 'Target Terminated'. I like the build up of tension Arnold creates in 'Night At The Opera', that worked particularly well in the film.

Though I've never understood why people seem to have a problem with the pan flutes? They sound fine to me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah it does whimper out slant

At least the title song appears on here, nowhere near as good as You Know My Name but light years ahead of Die Another Day. Alicia Keys singing is *ahem* off-key at times, she can do far better.

The pan flutes don't stick around long so I'll not diss them again. One track made me think I was listening to Diamonds Are Forever it was that close to Barry's.

Anyway, I thought it was very good ( see, ya did nae expect that!? ) and look forward to listening again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

One track made me think I was listening to Diamonds Are Forever it was that close to Barry's.

'Field Trip'?

Anyway, I thought it was very good ( see, ya did nae expect that!? ) and look forward to listening again.

Yep, I just had a look. Hell has frozen over!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Wanted (Elfman)

A fresh, without losing personality, Elfman Score.

Addictive!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

One track made me think I was listening to Diamonds Are Forever it was that close to Barry's.

'Field Trip'?

Yep, I just had a look. Hell has frozen over!

It'll take a few listens to acquaint myself with track titles.

Hell?.....

devil freezing
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Nautilus wrote
    I was playing : wanted (Elfman)

wow, the main theme is so dammed addictive...

The action stuff with electric guitars, string progressions and some dramatic statements are really cool.

Im no a great fan of elfman, but this year he gave to me 2 scores wich i really adore.

NP:Kung Fu Panda

Seriously, I can't understand why some people can see how superb this score is.

Epic, tender, funny, dramatic, action....Very rich in orchestrations. You can't ask for more.

I can't enought ears to hear this over rich use of chinese arrangements.

I hope someday we will know more about the scoring process of this score ( i don't know if in the DVD), but both composers has blend very well his style here.

PS: Demetris did you saw the movie? because this score fits like very few Zimmer scores does in the movie.

I agree with everything you just said. Kung Fu Panda and Wanted are awesome. I especially like Kung Fu Panda! Wanted took a lot of listens before I started enjoying it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I agree with everything Jordi said too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

Addictive!

Indeed. One of the few Elfman scores that I can enjoy.
  2. Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Addictive!

then you should listen to Black Beauty and Sommersby quick if you haven't done so
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Addictive!

then you should listen to Black Beauty and Sommersby quick if you haven't done so

I haven´t listened these two you mention to be honest shame But I will and I´ll post my thoughts here wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Addictive!

Those two are probably my all time favourite Elfman scores.

I have a lot of respect for Elfman, he has his own unique voice in film music and has deservedly carved himself a niche amongst the A-list composers, unfortunately his is a style that doesn't gel with me very often.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Plus he's quite an intelligent man. (Of course you'd probably have to be to be a successful film composer.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Plus he's quite an intelligent man. (Of course you'd probably have to be to be a successful film composer.)

Can you name a "thick" composer!? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Can you name a "thick" composer!? wink

It's probably like trying to find a creationist with a PhD in evolutionary biology. Very rare I'd imagine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2008 edited
    Played today: OORLOGSWINTER - Pino Donaggio
    A lot of dramatics, a lot of violin, vocal and strings, but it certainly isn't doing 'it' for me. Pino is trying too hard, and although it delivers some great old fashioned string writing, overall Oorlogswinter struggles to make an impression. Partly because it lacks a strong theme, but also because it's so predictable in its use of instruments (basically Band of Brothers meets ZwartBoek) and writing.

I know the dramatics is a problem even the composer himself acknowledges (apparantly, at several points he didn't want to score the scene at all, yet the director forced him to), but it remains overbearing at times on its album presentation.

Nevertheless, it absolutely has some gorgeous moments, and it isn't bad per se, but when the choir, string and horns are at full blast during Verlies ('Loss'), I'm aching for the more restraint Saving Private Ryan. What was all the fuss about again?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

'Field Trip'?

No way! I'm guessing Night At The Opera?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Played today: OORLOGSWINTER - Pino Donaggio
    A lot of dramatics, a lot of violin, vocal and strings, but it certainly isn't doing 'it' for me. Pino is trying too hard, and although it delivers some great old fashioned string writing, overall Oorlogswinter struggles to make an impression. Partly because it lacks a strong theme, but also because it's so predictable in its use of instruments (basically Band of Brothers meets ZwartBoek) and writing.

I know the dramatics is a problem even the composer himself acknowledges (apparantly, at several points he didn't want to score the scene at all, yet the director forced him to), but it remains overbearing at times on its album presentation.

Nevertheless, it absolutely has some gorgeous moments, and it isn't bad per se, but when the choir, string and horns are at full blast during Verlies ('Loss'), I'm aching for the more restraint Saving Private Ryan. What was all the fuss about again?

" Partly because it lacks a strong theme" confused

This must be the most confusing thing i've heard this year, along with BENJAMIN BUTTON not having a proper theme. OORLOGSWINTER has some of the strongest thematic material from everything released this year, the only other thing i can think of coming closely is Defiance.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2008
    NP: Kung Fu Panda (Powell/Zimmer)

Unabashedly fun. Now that I have it on the CD, the sound quality is so detailed particularly in the softer passages (such as "Hero" and "Let the Tournament Begin"). Maybe it's too energetic in the Powell-dominated passages, but overall it's just a fun score.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  3. Hans Zimmer - King Arthur

Not a big fan of the score, but listening it to find some of foreshadowing of Zimmer's most recent sound. I think some stuff is there and yes, something more than Chevaliers de Sangreal.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - King Arthur

Not a big fan of the score, but listening it to find some of foreshadowing of Zimmer's most recent sound. I think some stuff is there and yes, something more than Chevaliers de Sangreal.

I LOVE THIS SCORE! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    William wrote
    NP: Star Trek: The Motion Picture (20th Anniversary Collectors' Edition) - Jerry Goldsmith

My kind of Goldsmith! punk

Film scores rarely get better than this, in my top 5 of all time!

I absolutely adore Ilia's Theme. spin punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I LOVE THIS SCORE! punk

One of the best Zimmer scores. Ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I LOVE THIS SCORE! punk

Couldn't agree more! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I LOVE THIS SCORE! punk

Couldn't agree more! punk

I´ve forgotten to add underrated. Very rich thematically, great choral passages, dramatic string writing (The Da Vinci Code and Batman Begins / The Dark Knight began here), energetic action themes and overall a very coherent work. The complete score is a treasure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Journey to the Center of the Earth - Andrew Lockington

Very good! smile