• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Attached question - what % of score albums you buy come from older films that you might or might not have seen, but where the composer brand name prompts the purchase? For many of us, that's the largest part! biggrin

I've had a rough look through the last 100 titles I have bought:

What a pity there isn't an emoticon wherein someone confers 'the last laugh' on someone else. For I believe you have it.

NP: Naqoyqatsi (Glass)

Definitely one of the peaks of the 2000s era.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2009
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I probably should have put a wink in there, LP. It was meant to be a playful shot, not a parting shot. wink

So there's not going to be an internetz fight? What am I gonna do with all this popcorn!? angry

Let's E-FIGHT!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    franz_conrad wrote
    I probably should have put a wink in there, LP. It was meant to be a playful shot, not a parting shot. wink

shocked punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2009 edited
    Today's my special day so I can kill some bunnies too! biggrin

NP: The Lion King (expanded bootleg) - Hans Zimmer

Just got back from the temple, where I prayed my heart out for the complete score. I only pray God helps me achieve this one dearest wish of mine!

Ok, no more bunny killing now bunny! Now I'm off for Chemistry class (yup, I've got to attend 'em even today!) and then I'll listen to a number of awesome scores including the FULL LoTR Complete Recordings!!! punk cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Lesbian Vampire Killers - Debbie Wiseman

What a great theme, and what a fine and thoroughly entertaining score!
    We don't hear much from the lady, but when she comes out of the corner, she comes out swinging.
    Big, thematic, with exactly the right kind of mix of Romanticism and tongue-in-cheek, this one firmly deserves a place along the likes of LoDuca's Army Of Darkness.

Star Trek - Michael Giacchino
    My first listen.
    It's one of the finest supporting scores I have ever heard. Innovative, creative, playful, with interesting and unexpected little flourishes and orchestrations all over the place.

But there's no theme.
    And I'm not even talking about the -crying, shameful, terrible, heartrending- lack of an overall musical theme (and NO, sorry, that 5 note repeated ascending scale motif masquerading as one is simply NOT acceptable to me as one), but the apparent disjointedness of the score. While there are two or so outstanding tracks, as others have remarked upon as well, the full score is an intriguing but ultimately unsatisfying listen.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Martijn wrote

My first listen.
    It's one of the finest supporting scores I have ever heard. Innovative, creative, playful, with interesting and unexpected little flourishes and orchestrations all over the place.

But there's no theme.
    And I'm not even talking about the -crying, shameful, terrible, heartrending- lack of an overall musical theme (and NO, sorry, that 5 note repeated ascending scale motif masquerading as one is simply NOT acceptable to me as one)...

Remember - more of a counterline than a theme. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Strange. I always thought a counterline was actually countering something. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Lesbian Vampire Killers - Debbie Wiseman

What a great theme, and what a fine and thoroughly entertaining score!
    We don't hear much from the lady, but when she comes out of the corner, she comes out swinging.
    Big, thematic, with exactly the right kind of mix of Romanticism and tongue-in-cheek, this one firmly deserves a place along the likes of LoDuca's Army Of Darkness.

biggrin You are a master of wit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What we have here...is a failure...to communicate. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    franz_conrad wrote
    Martijn wrote

My first listen.

But there's no theme.
    And I'm not even talking about the -crying, shameful, terrible, heartrending- lack of an overall musical theme (and NO, sorry, that 5 note repeated ascending scale motif masquerading as one is simply NOT acceptable to me as one)...

Mmm...What you need to consider 5 notes a theme?

Is "earth'" from gladiator, a theme for you?

NP:Wicker Park (MArtinez)

I simply love this sound!!!!!! I want moreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

(Narc or traffic doesn't count to me)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Abyss - Alan Silvestri

One of his most interesting scores. The Pseudopod is creepy!!
  3. Nautilus wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Martijn wrote

My first listen.

But there's no theme.

Is "earth'" from gladiator, a theme for you?

Oh we're not talking about me. This is something the Kaplans on the FSM podcast said. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nautilus wrote

A lobotomy.

Goldsmith's Star Trek: The Motion Picture Main Titles is a theme
    Princess Leia's Theme is a theme
    The Good, The Bad & The Ugly is a theme
    Tara's Theme, The Pink Panther, The Longest Day are themes.

5 notes, while technically a theme, I guess (and the same could be said for two notes), unless in the most rare and brilliant of concepts and executions (Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, Jaws) is just that: 5 notes. A motif at best. The beginning of the possibility of a flight of fancy that might conceivably be the starting point for the origin what might ultimately be worked into the idea of a theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I agree. Giacchino came up with a pretty decent motif for Star Trek, and would probably be nice as a sub-theme. But it's not the "big Giacchino Star Trek theme" I was hoping for.

Oh well, there'll be other scores. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I notice some of the directors don't want huge themes for these new versions of older movies where you'd expect some big fanfare to be. Just like Nolan didn't want his Batman films to have a heroic theme for Batman?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Directors flexing their executive muscle to make sure their Creative Vision isn't Compromised by something as Trivial and Distracting as listenable (leave alone good) music.

Against the wall.
    The LOT of 'em.
    I can't WAIT for the revolution.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Directors flexing their executive muscle to make sure their Creative Vision isn't Compromised by something as Trivial and Distracting as listenable (leave alone good) music.

Apparently the idea was that the theme (which is for Kirk - the other films' themes have generally not been for anything specific) is simplistic and under-developed, because the character in this film is simplistic and under-developed. And next time round it will be taken to the next level.

But personally, I'd rather just have a great big theme now, thank you very much. I seem to remember raising this issue (that Giacchino is a good one, but writing big themes is not something he has ever really done, which would be unusual and disappointing in a Star Trek score) before anyone had heard the score. The theme we do have is VERY Zimmer-ish in its relentless simplicity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Twilight Zone: The Movie (FSM) Jerry Goldsmith

God this is brilliant. Although I was perfectly happy with the previous album, this one is a very welcome addition to the Goldsmith library. 80s magic rules!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote
    Twilight Zone: The Movie (FSM) Jerry Goldsmith

God this is brilliant. Although I was perfectly happy with the previous album, this one is a very welcome addition to the Goldsmith library. 80s magic rules!

Totally with you on this Steven.

I adore this score! And this expanded (FSM) edition is pure bliss! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Miya wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: Azul Oscuro Casi Negro (Dark Blue Almost Black) - Pascal Gaigne

I keep telling myself that I'll get this sometime soon. I must get it.

It's really good... do you know anything else by Gaigne? I know nothing about him.

Dark Blue Almost Black is one of my favourite Gaigne scores. I'd also recommend El Otro Barrio and Le Cou de La Girafe.

As well as Le Cou de La Girafe there are additional tracks from a couple of his scores: Bertzea and Lepokoa that are worth hearing also:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Le-Cou-De-La-Gi … p;sr=103-1

Thanks for recommendations! smile I just found his MySpace, and listening to the tracks there. Le Cou de La Girafe is really good indeed!

NP: http://www.myspace.com/pascalgaigne

His music is great but ugh his MySpace page is horrible! Too much gadgets. rolleyes

But all MySpace pages are more or less horrible
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    lp wrote
    All the waltzing gets tiring after a while, you know.

When he's the only one in Hollywood left who really seems to be able to do it, I'll keep lapping it up. wink

I also think you under-appreciate the differences between a COCO and a CHERI. CHERI is this neoclassical score with lots of electronic effects and modern orchestrational devices. COCO is a bit like the Michel Legrand score that got away - more playful, simplistic, the themes are a bit more in the line of popular orchestral themes of mid-20th century. At least that's what went through my head when I heard it.

But then Thomas Newman doesn't exactly do the same score again and again either. LITTLE CHILDREN and AMERICAN BEAUTY are about as dissimilar as he could have made them. As with Desplat, you can't get away from who wrote the music, but they're both cases where I wouldn't want to anyway.

Word. No matter how i try to sympathize with such opinions, i feel like only someone who listens to Thomas Newman or Alexandre Desplat on the surface alone, will carry such a notion, i.e. that they're repeating themselves with the same tricks each and every time.

Word. No matter how hard I try to not empathize with such opinion, I do have all the time in the world to sit down and critically listen to any album to just to determine that the composer I really like, is definitely, like, the most awesome composer of recent time.

Is this directed at me? You're trying to play smart-ass? Or is it just me who i am not getting what you're trying to say here?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Mission: Impossible III (Michael Giacchino)

it's too raw, too monotonous,

or....or.......or...........FUCKING AWESOME, EH? How about thaT? punk wink kiss
  4. The war is over, the good guys won. We're just debating now who the good guys were. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Against the wall.
    The LOT of 'em.
    I can't WAIT for the revolution.

A day will come when THEMES are back in vogue and many film composers will be found wanting.

I have spoken.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HANS ZIMMER - Angels and Demons

Bigger and bolder, less complex, louder and old-fashioned - MV - grander and very rhythmic; the way i love my Zimmer scores to be wink Very enjoyable are the themes' remixes from Da Vinci Code as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm listening as well, knew you'd love it!! biggrin punk

The choir mixing is well done indeed!
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Mission: Impossible III (Michael Giacchino)

it's too raw, too monotonous,

or....or.......or...........FUCKING AWESOME, EH? How about thaT? punk wink kiss

I can think of more fucking awesome scores than MI:III dude !!!

It just never gets my pulses racing, except for a 3 or 4 cues.

Battlestar Galactica: Season One (Bear McCreary)

Well the CDs are in, first I will listen to the least interesting IMO of BSG scores... very repetitive, too much percussion-based cues, it's nice for in the background but not much stands out. I'll just give it 3 out of 5, like MI:III I find it average. But it only gets better from here.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    I'm listening as well, knew you'd love it!! biggrin punk

The choir mixing is well done indeed!

Why wouldn't i love it? It's like a HEAVY METAL version of DA VINCI CODE. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Some parts are very Broken Arrow-ish. Yummy! lick