• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    Battlestar Galactica Season 3 (Bear McCreary)

Okay, first I have to admit this music really didn't grab me from the word go... While watching the show at first I wasn't particularly overwhelmed by the score, but I knew it created a mood that made watching the show so special. It wasn't until the season 2 I genuinely noticed some of the admittedly great music, but not enough to start collecting the soundtracks. And I just didn't know who this McCreary guy was, other than having a funny first name.

Fast forward several months later, and as fate would have it, I have ordered all available music in the series, Richard Gibbs' soundtrack included. Awaiting its arrival I'm listening to the third season's music, this may well become my second favourite CD of them all, with season 2 at the top. This clearly shows how much personality and creativity McCreary put into the show, and after listening to it some more recently, I'm starting to get it. I can't quite explain it, but this guy certainly has the talent to create music with a soul, music that wants to tell a story, and his score is every bit a character as the rest of the crew on the battleship. While I don't like everything, some of the tracks are a bit overlong and too much based on ethnic percussion there's enough variety here to keep me interested. But what I especially like are the string-based cues (Violence and Variations, Someone to Trust and others) and the celtic ones (Admiral and Commander is superb). A good listen. And a grower I'm sure.

I've recently 'discovered' the music of Battlestar Galactica, and I'm absolutely addicted to it! The season 2 and season 3 albums both make for surprisingly different listens.
  1. Nautilus wrote
    NP:Heat (Goldenthal)

today I heard this score for the first time.

It's a highly impressive score. A great mix of Goldenthal dramatic music, atmospheric synthetiser, electronic beats, rock and a massive orchestra.

I think it could be perfect for a movie like The Dark Knight (Obviously Zimmer gave some ideas from here ).

One of Goldenthal best scores.

A personal favourite. Is this the album, or the full score promo? Both are worth having.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Steven wrote

I've recently 'discovered' the music of Battlestar Galactica, and I'm absolutely addicted to it! The season 2 and season 3 albums both make for surprisingly different listens.

You and me both buddy. punk

It's not something I'll take on a deserted island with me, but it's good enough to own it...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. I was quite happy to eat my words on the BSG front. That third album in particular is a gem.

NP: Solaris (Edward Artemyev)

An extraordinary early electronic score. A lot of people would hate it, but I find I keep coming back to it.
  4. NP: Et Apres (Desplat)

I prefer the scores either side of it - Button, Largo and Cheri - but it's a nice piece of work. I wish the less inspired scores of more composers were this good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Lesbian Vampire Killers. Mixed feelings about this one. Generic
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Azul Oscuro Casi Negro (Dark Blue Almost Black) - Pascal Gaigne

All themes are beautiful and soothing, but I especially love 2nd track La Vida Con Objetivo theme. repetition of simple melodies makes me feel good.

By the way it's funny how iTunes censored the title "Azul Oscuro Casi N***o" dizzy
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2009 edited
    Miya wrote

I keep telling myself that I'll get this sometime soon. I must get it.

Played while making dinner...
    Michel Cusson - Seraphin: Un Homme Et Son Peche
    Philippe Rombi - Un Homme Et Son Chien

Wow! Meltissimo! I can't get enough of these two scores. Delicate and gorgeous!
    Rombi's main theme reminds me of Donaggio's Carrie everytime. There's almost a hint of it.
    I'm not sure if the Rombi qualifies as a 2009 release. If it did then it deserves to be on everyone's list of top 5 scores this year. Ah well, atleast of the romantics at heart!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Last Samurai - Hans Zimmer

Simplistic but this is a really great listen on CD. Lovely themes and very exciting, pumped action music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    BhelPuri wrote
    Miya wrote

I keep telling myself that I'll get this sometime soon. I must get it.

It's really good... do you know anything else by Gaigne? I know nothing about him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Casi Divas - Hans Zimmer (Hans-Zimmer.com sample)

People say "nothing new, nothing special"... but who cares? It's just a good rom-com score! smile It's like a combination of The Holiday and Spanglish (band score + female vocal + latin flavor) - two of my favorites.

I hope it will be released in some way...
  5. NP: Cheri (Desplat)

Just a note to Erik - when I first heard the track you liked, 'To Belize' (can't remember the exact name), when I heard the last 30 seconds, I thought: "There's one track Erik will like!" wink

But I love this one. It may help that I know a bit of the story, but the final track, 'An Old Woman', is so moving to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Casualties Of War - Ennio Morricone @ StreamingSonudtracks.com

I just noticed a woodwind sound which Zimmer copied to Elephant Graveyard scene tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    lp wrote
    All the waltzing gets tiring after a while, you know.

When he's the only one in Hollywood left who really seems to be able to do it, I'll keep lapping it up. wink

I also think you under-appreciate the differences between a COCO and a CHERI. CHERI is this neoclassical score with lots of electronic effects and modern orchestrational devices. COCO is a bit like the Michel Legrand score that got away - more playful, simplistic, the themes are a bit more in the line of popular orchestral themes of mid-20th century. At least that's what went through my head when I heard it.

But then Thomas Newman doesn't exactly do the same score again and again either. LITTLE CHILDREN and AMERICAN BEAUTY are about as dissimilar as he could have made them. As with Desplat, you can't get away from who wrote the music, but they're both cases where I wouldn't want to anyway.

Word. No matter how i try to sympathize with such opinions, i feel like only someone who listens to Thomas Newman or Alexandre Desplat on the surface alone, will carry such a notion, i.e. that they're repeating themselves with the same tricks each and every time.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    William wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Why?

Why not? tongue But seriously, I'm just liking what I hear. Some of it reminds me of Horner's Star Trek scores.

Loved it too; nice theme, great renditions, intense action scoring. Nothing too spectacular or particularly special, but very enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Et Apres (Desplat)

I prefer the scores either side of it - Button, Largo and Cheri - but it's a nice piece of work. I wish the less inspired scores of more composers were this good.

Ah; loved AFTERWARDS. Unsuprisingly, another underrated little gem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Miya wrote

I just noticed a woodwind sound which Zimmer copied to Elephant Graveyard scene tongue

I could never get into that score, no matter how hard i tried. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote

Zimmer is very inspired by Morricone, something I really like about him. If you check you'll see he incorporated the "howling" sounds from Morricone's Man With The Harmonica in PoTC At World's End in the track Parlay, performed on electric guitar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    Miya wrote

Zimmer is very inspired by Morricone, something I really like about him. If you check you'll see he incorporated the "howling" sounds from Morricone's Man With The Harmonica in PoTC At World's End in the track Parlay, performed on electric guitar.

Or the copy-pasting from Morricone's SAHARA score, straight into Gladiator. I was this way --> omg when i first heard it wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I need to check out Sahara!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: dog Beverly Hills Chihuahua - Heitor Pereira dog
    (managed to download all tracks from his website tongue)

I'm getting addicted to this fun score. I'd never expected such heroic & epic action cues for those small dogs! Heroic theme is typical, action cues sound a little like Powell, and of course there are lots of typical "fun & cute" sounds of Disney's dog films. But this composer's Latin origin adds a nice flavour throughout the score.

Chloe's theme which featured in Chloe's Song and other cues is very nice... I even like Heitor's sleepy singing voice. biggrin

... and I never get tired of Chi Nation Pt2... BARKING CHORUS! lol

This should be released properly. But no hope.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    ^

I love that one too! I'm happy Heitor put up the @192 kbps tracks on his site because I'm sure Disney would've done only an iTunes release and I hate that. Some composers care about their fans! angelic
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    confused You mean downloading website clips are better than getting official releases?

At least US iTunes now releases all tracks as iTunes Plus... I don't think there is big difference between 256kbp AAC and 192kbp mp3.

It's nice to have composers like him uploading their unreleased music, and of course I prefer CD releases to Disney's iTunes US only (angry) releases, but it's better having an official release than streaming-only website clips.

Plus, official releases (digital-only or not) can get more recognition... not all score fans visit websites of composers with obscure (and unpronounceable) names. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Of course nothing beats an official CD release! What I mean is I can't see Disney giving something like this a CD release, and iTunes quality sounds terrible to me. Dunno much about iTunes Plus though.

Who knows, maybe Intrada will consider it sometime in the future and release it? wink

(I'm more worried about Lion King of course)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    DemonStar wrote
    Miya wrote

There is also one part of Once Upon A Time In West that reminds me of beginning of Elephant Graveyard. But I forgot which track it was.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I know it's time I get more Morricone scores tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    franz_conrad wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Heat (Goldenthal)

today I heard this score for the first time.

It's a highly impressive score. A great mix of Goldenthal dramatic music, atmospheric synthetiser, electronic beats, rock and a massive orchestra.

I think it could be perfect for a movie like The Dark Knight (Obviously Zimmer gave some ideas from here ).

One of Goldenthal best scores.

A personal favourite. Is this the album, or the full score promo? Both are worth having.

The promo, wich there is one track with sound effects.

I love this score! With all the goldenthl personality, but much more listenable.

NP:Great Expextations (Doyle)
    Delicious.

Great to fall in love in a suny day.

"Kissing in the rain" punk the perfect sound for a shakespeare book adapted to the 90's.

The main theme reminds me to his masterpiece: much ado about nothing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    DemonStar wrote
    I know it's time I get more Morricone scores tongue wink

Hurry, man, hurry, you have a lot to make up for! But you will be in for a treat - well, most of the cases...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Happening - James Newton Howard

Easily one of the best scores of last year; the cello is really gorgeous. The End Title Suite is especially lovely!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    No matter how i try to sympathize with such opinions, i feel like only someone who listens to Thomas Newman or Alexandre Desplat on the surface alone, will carry such a notion, i.e. that they're repeating themselves with the same tricks each and every time.

I think you mean empathise. wink