• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    I was playing :Coco Avant Chanel (Desplat)

Wow, Desplat is becoming the new Thomas Newman. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

What? He's consistently good and inventive? wink

I have to agree with Jordi a bit. Desplat does do almost the same schtick everytime. But every time I hear something new, I instantly get a sense of "wait, did I hear this before somewhere?", which means to me that he's able to improved on his temp track influence well. All the waltzing gets tiring after a while, you know.

I'd say that Desplat adds little tricks everytime in order to shift things around a bit; on the surface he might sound the same, but something like "Coco Chanel" is NOT Syriana for instance, or something "Cheri" is not "Birth", to say but a couple of examples; especially if you venture through his darker, smaller French films years and of course Firewall and Hostage as well.

But the point is "All the waltzing gets tiring after a while, you know." ; well what doesn't? Someone is tired of Zimmer, another of Powell's bag of tricks for the animated movies, someone else is tired of RC clones and another wants to hear more of those; someone is celebrating the latest Chris Young score, but another one wants him to reinvent himself and be fresh again; someone is driven crazy over last year's AFRIKA game, another calls it a John Williams' clone. Well it never stops; apart the fact that constantly writing music for ANY medium and at the same time being inventive each and every time is virtually impossible, people have their own specific tastes and no matter what, you'll always find someone objecting with something you like.

Then my complaint is that Desplat doesn't go out of his comfort zone very much. Coco Chanel isn't Syriana but it does have the sameness as Buttons and Cheri. I'm not a Desplat fanboy so I can't attest to the infinite awesome level of the one the only Alexandre Desplat, but since I am a Zimmer/Arnold/Goldsmith fanboy, I understand. Don't get me wrong, I want to like Desplat, but I get bored and suspicious every time I hear a new Desplat score. One day...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Star Trek - Michael Giacchino

...let your heart out "That New Cat Smell"

biggrin

I'll let Demetris choose the lolcat for this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

...let your heart out "That New Cat Smell"

biggrin

I'll let Demetris choose the lolcat for this one.

Damn - I copied and pasted the wrong version of my review. That wasn't suppose to be in there.

shame

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. So, what does a new cat smell like? Cheezberger? tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Red Planet- Event Horizon- Heat

I'm in High Tech scores mood. Great to listen at work.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote

Unbelievably ( because it's Graeme Revell ) I put Red Planet well above your other two choices as a stand alone listen on CD cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    justin boggan wrote
    So, what does a new cat smell like? Cheezberger? tongue

Pussycats?

Oops! I probably will be edited.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009 edited
    Martijn has mastered the powers of the Ninja shocked biggrin

But still not as fast or invisible enough to bypass the observancy of a God! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    They seek him here, they seek him there...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

I LOVE Event Horizon.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. lp wrote
    All the waltzing gets tiring after a while, you know.

When he's the only one in Hollywood left who really seems to be able to do it, I'll keep lapping it up. wink

I also think you under-appreciate the differences between a COCO and a CHERI. CHERI is this neoclassical score with lots of electronic effects and modern orchestrational devices. COCO is a bit like the Michel Legrand score that got away - more playful, simplistic, the themes are a bit more in the line of popular orchestral themes of mid-20th century. At least that's what went through my head when I heard it.

But then Thomas Newman doesn't exactly do the same score again and again either. LITTLE CHILDREN and AMERICAN BEAUTY are about as dissimilar as he could have made them. As with Desplat, you can't get away from who wrote the music, but they're both cases where I wouldn't want to anyway.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    franz_conrad wrote
    lp wrote
    All the waltzing gets tiring after a while, you know.

I also think you under-appreciate the differences between a COCO and a CHERI. CHERI is this neoclassical score with lots of electronic effects and modern orchestrational devices. COCO is a bit like the Michel Legrand score that got away - more playful, simplistic, the themes are a bit more in the line of popular orchestral themes of mid-20th century. At least that's what went through my head when I heard it.

Don't get me wrong. I like them both. In fact, those elements you've just mentioned are the reason why I like those two scores. But once you get past that, it's all standard fare.
    I think as a pure listening experience, his music works better for me. I've seen most of the movies he scored and, lordy, it either fails, coast or just plain, sleep .
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Heat (Goldenthal)

today I heard this score for the first time.

It's a highly impressive score. A great mix of Goldenthal dramatic music, atmospheric synthetiser, electronic beats, rock and a massive orchestra.

I think it could be perfect for a movie like The Dark Knight (Obviously Zimmer gave some ideas from here ).

One of Goldenthal best scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam

First listen, and so far it's awesome. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2009
    Why?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Bregt wrote
    Why?

Why not? tongue But seriously, I'm just liking what I hear. Some of it reminds me of Horner's Star Trek scores.
  3. William wrote
    Some of it reminds me of Horner's Star Trek scores.

Now there's something to look forward to!! That would be good if it were true!

I was listening to some of Horner's earlier work over the weekend - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan & Krull - and I wished that he still composed stuff of this calibre. Maybe hearing Something Wicked This Way Comes in the next few days - a score I have not heard before - will be along these "vintage" Horner lines?

NP: Bad Girls - Jerry Goldsmith

I like this little-mentioned Goldsmith score: a great uplifting theme (best heard in the middle of "My Land") that's just as good when orchestrated for guitar and keyboards.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2009 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    William wrote

Well don't get your hopes up too high. wink But personally, some of it does remind me of Horner.
  4. William wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    William wrote

Well don't get your hopes up too high. wink But personally, some of it does remind me of Horner.

Don't worry - I am containing my expectations!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Battlestar Galactica Season 3 (Bear McCreary)

Okay, first I have to admit this music really didn't grab me from the word go... While watching the show at first I wasn't particularly overwhelmed by the score, but I knew it created a mood that made watching the show so special. It wasn't until the season 2 I genuinely noticed some of the admittedly great music, but not enough to start collecting the soundtracks. And I just didn't know who this McCreary guy was, other than having a funny first name.

Fast forward several months later, and as fate would have it, I have ordered all available music in the series, Richard Gibbs' soundtrack included. Awaiting its arrival I'm listening to the third season's music, this may well become my second favourite CD of them all, with season 2 at the top. This clearly shows how much personality and creativity McCreary put into the show, and after listening to it some more recently, I'm starting to get it. I can't quite explain it, but this guy certainly has the talent to create music with a soul, music that wants to tell a story, and his score is every bit a character as the rest of the crew on the battleship. While I don't like everything, some of the tracks are a bit overlong and too much based on ethnic percussion there's enough variety here to keep me interested. But what I especially like are the string-based cues (Violence and Variations, Someone to Trust and others) and the celtic ones (Admiral and Commander is superb). A good listen. And a grower I'm sure.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam

Labor of Love is easily one of my favorite tracks. Gorgeous. shocked punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    William wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    William wrote

I don't hear it. This is a strictly post Lost Giacchino score.

-Erik-
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    William wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    William wrote

-Erik-

dizzy
    I have this on pre-order from SAE so I'll let you know what I hear in a week or so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Star Trek - Giacchino

I've grown to enjoy this score VERY much over the past few listens!
    Yes it could have been more but there is so much to enjoy here!
    And that main theme sticks in your head in a good way.
    Simple yet effective!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2009 edited
    Atham wrote
    Star Trek - Giacchino

Simple yet effective!

Agree!!!!

I can't see why not every single person on this forum is not saying heavenly words about "enterpresing young men" !!!!! Probably because they want something more sophisticated like Goldsmith's "the enterprise". but enjoy what you have, dudes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    William wrote

I have to say, I think it's about as far from James Horner as orchestral film music could get. Horner's music tends to be through-composed, long-lined, smooth, balletic. Giacchino's is much more raw, much more directly choreographed to the film, much more angular. The only similarity I see is that both styles are very appealing to me!
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    William wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    William wrote

-Erik-

I agree with William, while there aren't Horner rips anywhere, some rhythmic ideas (usage of cymbals at times, subtle things) and the general "mood" of some parts of the score are reminiscent of the Horner sense of adventure. It is a strictly Giacchino score, but there might be a subtle homage (yes, homage, not a rip, just a hint of an idea taken) to Horner in the score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. Atham wrote
    Star Trek - Giacchino

Simple yet effective!

I have not heard a single second of this latest Star Trek. Must be the only person alive. shocked

Have to go out and order the CD dammit... crazy

Erik Woods' rough (ahem!) James Horner suite

I keep returning to this regularly, though I know all the scores by heart and I love (nearly) all of them to death. Amazingly put together: one score flows nicely into the next. Sure wish I could make such montages. But with all the great music available, mine would last hours. You summed it up rather well, a mere 21 minutes, and there's not a second wasted.

Did you ever get around to produce a final mix Erik? Because this already kicks major A$$ !!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    William wrote

I have to say, I think it's about as far from James Horner as orchestral film music could get. Horner's music tends to be through-composed, long-lined, smooth, balletic. Giacchino's is much more raw, much more directly choreographed to the film, much more angular. The only similarity I see is that both styles are very appealing to me!

I'm referring more to the mood, the feel of the main theme, etc. I'm not saying this isn't just as much Giacchino's style, just saying that I heard a glimpse of Horner thrown in there in addition.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    William wrote

Well said, Doc. I agree!