• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    But for someone like Marianelli who always concentrate on tight, closed and coherent pieces with bold melodies and themes, it feels rather like it was influenced by a third factor, like the director for instance.

Indeed!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS - John Barry

I adore this score, only 28 minutes long but not one second outstays it's welcome from the gentle beauty of Mary's Theme to the evocative Journey To Scotland to the darkly dramatic Death At Kirkfields, and hey, it's even got bagpipes along the way cool

An undoubted 5 / 5

After that listen I just had to follow it with one of the greatest choral scores ever written.....

NP : THE LION IN WINTER - John Barry

I've said it before but what a shame Barrty didn't have the oportunity to write in a choral vein more often. The track Chinon-Eleanor's Arrival is quite simply GENIUS.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    But for someone like Marianelli who always concentrate on tight, closed and coherent pieces with bold melodies and themes, it feels rather like it was influenced by a third factor, like the director for instance.

Indeed. I´d say that is what the story requires. As a stand alone listening experience is, as you say, really odd.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Twilight ~ Carter Burwell
    I watched the film last night and I have to say that understand the music better now. It workes really well there so I'm revisiting it now. smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

I agree with you on One Little Indian, it's not quite as good as I was lead to believe ( lots of gumpf over at FSM ) but I'm still glad I bought it, it'll certainly get future plays from me.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend it to non-Goldsmith [or non-western] fans, but I certainly enjoyed it. 3 out of 5 for enjoyment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Listen to the interview (part 2, found on the homepage) and perhaps that may explain a bit? He seemed to have really a hard work to find the right way to score this movie.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Battlestar Galactica Season 2 Bear McCreary

shocked

Rian is right, 'Prelude to War' is amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    Listen to the interview (part 2, found on the homepage) and perhaps that may explain a bit? He seemed to have really a hard work to find the right way to score this movie.

Wait... who?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2009 edited
    Marianelli about The Soloist
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

shocked

This, the whole BattleStar Galactica score universe, and LOST (esp. season 4) are tv music at its finest, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Lost season 4 (Giaccino)

I wat out for vacations. I heard the score hear and there...But I'm amazed in the epic renditions of O's 6 theme.

"of Mice and ben" and "can't kill Keamy"

i didn't expect so long tracks...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm still having great difficulty on deciding how good the selection of music is. I really do wish they'd left season 3 at one disc and given season 4 the double. As it stands, it's FULL of brilliant music, and the only way to have more would be to sacrifice great cues in favour of others. There's so much on here that I wanted, but there's still so much more. cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

shocked

This, the whole BattleStar Galactica score universe, and LOST (esp. season 4) are tv music at its finest, imo.

Depends on what we mean by TV music. I'd say Goldsmith's Masada is one of the best TV scores I've ever heard, but then that's not really the same as scoring a long-running series as Battlestar Galactica. It's more akin to scoring a very long movie (same as with Band Of Brothers). So in that sense, I find it hard to disagree: BSG and Lost are two of the finest TV scores I've ever heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HANS ZIMMER - frost / nixon

Relaxing, intriguing, quirky at places, a very interesting small-scale score.

MICHAEL GIACCHINO - lost season 4

The most passionate, sentimental and moving music from the entire LOST series so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

shocked

Depends on what we mean by TV music. I'd say Goldsmith's Masada is one of the best TV scores I've ever heard, but then that's not really the same as scoring a long-running series as Battlestar Galactica. It's more akin to scoring a very long movie (same as with Band Of Brothers). So in that sense, I find it hard to disagree: BSG and Lost are two of the finest TV scores I've ever heard.

And Band of Brothers; who could i forget this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well, that's the thing, I don't really regard it as "TV music". I imagine Kamen's work on Band Of Brothers was more like scoring a lot of short films (that happened to debut on TV - i.e. a mini-series).

So when people say "Well, what about Band of Brothers?", I don't really count it. Band of Brothers was never intended as a long running series, so I'm pretty convinced the scoring process was different that it is when scoring an actual series like BSG. (I.e. time restraints?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MARK ISHAM - crossing over

A radical turn in Isham's music during the last 2 years; soft synth pads, guitars and pianos, melancholic soundscapes and electronic minimalism, experimental ambiance and sounds; this one here is more into ASCHE AND SPENCER territories with acoustic guitar over it; quite pleasant and easy-listening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

shocked

I find it disappointing that Joel Goldsmith's work on the Stargate doesn't get mentioned in the same breath as Lost and Battlestar as wonderful examples of great TV music in the past 5 years or so.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

shocked

I find it disappointing that Joel Goldsmith's work on the Stargate doesn't get mentioned in the same breath as Lost and Battlestar as wonderful examples of great TV music in the past 5 years or so.

-Erik-

Would you say that Battlestar Galactica is inferior?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bit of an unfair dichotomy there, D. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Do they produce 'Music from Season [x]' for Stargate though? There's that and the fact that Stargate the show simply isn't as good as Battlestar Galactica or Lost (IMO), so the canvas for Goldsmith to work on is not as good. (Okay, so good music is good music regardless of its medium, but when you're more emotionally invested in a show, the music will probably sound better. Thus, more popular.)*

I agree though, it's a shame. Joel's work is right up there with the best of TV music... it just suffers from lack of popularity and no decent album releases (apart from the Stargate TV films he's scored).

..unless there are decent album releases of his work on the later seasons?

*I hasten to add this is not the reason I think it's not as good as BSG or Lost, I think it is. Simply why it's not as popular.
  1. Christodoulides wrote

A radical turn in Isham's music during the last 2 years; soft synth pads, guitars and pianos, melancholic soundscapes and electronic minimalism, experimental ambiance and sounds; this one here is more into ASCHE AND SPENCER territories with acoustic guitar over it; quite pleasant and easy-listening.

I found it effective but average, not really a listen that stings
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: Fly Away Home - Mark Isham

I wish more films were scored like this. The music is amazing. Mark Isham can truly be a great composer when he has these children/ family films.
  2. Panthera wrote
    NP: Fly Away Home - Mark Isham

I wish more films were scored like this. The music is amazing. Mark Isham can truly be a great composer when he has these children/ family films.

yep, this one is a true gem
    they better release it soon
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PLATOON - Georges Delerue

Lovely score, I honestly don't think this film needed Barber's Adagio, in fact, I blame this film for it's infernal overuse in everything from documentaries to comedy.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Lovely score, I honestly don't think this film needed Barber's Adagio, in fact, I blame this film for it's infernal overuse in everything from documentaries to comedy.

Absolutely gorgeous score;
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Absolutely gorgeous score;

Do you agree with me on the use of Barber?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Re-listen to the last 2 cues; i found they're worth sitting through the entire score just for those!
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Re-listen to the last 2 cues; i found they're worth sitting through the entire score just for those!

the 2 tracks indeed are quite nice, but once again, if you have to sit through a half an hour for such 2 tracks (and one amazing one in the middle) I don't see the need to grade it higher
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

the 2 tracks indeed are quite nice, but once again, if you have to sit through a half an hour for such 2 tracks (and one amazing one in the middle) I don't see the need to grade it higher

No, i agree i wouldn't rate it more than 3 stars either but this scores has some 4 or so incredibly beautiful scores; that's what i am saying. The last piece even reminded me of UNITED 93!