• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    It's my favourite HP score so far!

Hewlett Packard makes scores now?

You sure it's not the Baked Beans?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    It's my favourite HP score so far!

Hewlett Packard makes scores now?

Don't give them ideas!! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    GOLIATH AND THE BARBARIANS. Working on the end of my review. For those of you who don't know this was a film which had two scores. The Italian and then when it came to America, AIP had Les Baxter do another one.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    GOLIATH AND THE BARBARIANS. Working on the end of my review. For those of you who don't know this was a film which had two scores. The Italian and then when it came to America, AIP had Les Baxter do another one.
    Thomas

I got this and have yet to listen, I look forward to the review Tom.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Night Crossing (Jerry Goldsmith)

It's fantastic I discover little forgotten gems from time to time, scores I didn't give a chance or just forgot about. This is one of those early 80s Goldsmith in the style that I absolutely love... But I had to give it a few listens before it finally grabbed me... now the underscore is every bit as gripping as the glorious flying cues. I've never heard of the film and it sure must not have been a hit, but the score is here to stay. I love that Poltergeist style brass that plays around the percussion and strings.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE - John Barry

punk cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2009 edited
    np: Passenger 57 - Stanley Clarke

Great score. Half of this score feels like a jazz fusion studio album rather than a film score, but that's just fine by me, since I'm enjoying this as music, with the drum/bass/guitar/sax combo providing a rather summer/breezy feeling to the score. That said, the obviously dramatic stuff isn't bad at all. They do function rather well in the movie, albeit being a bit anonymous at the same time. Some interesting ideas spreading about, like the rhythmic pulse of low brass/percussion accentuated by high end brass statements all building and building, similar to what Goldsmith would do later with Executive Decision. "Ferris Wheel" is a very good track as well, with the some very interesting brass/woodwind interplay punctuated by percussion and trumpet, which is later joined by a nice back beat and strings. Good stuff.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    np: Passenger 57 - Stanley Clarke

Great score. Half of this score feels like a jazz fusion studio album rather than a film score, but that's just fine by me, since I'm enjoying this as music, with the drum/bass/guitar/sax combo providing a rather summer/breezy feeling to the score. That said, the obviously dramatic stuff isn't bad at all. They do function rather well in the movie, albeit being a bit anonymous at the same time. Some interesting ideas spreading about, like the rhythmic pulse of low brass/percussion accentuated by high end brass statements all building and building, with a quick saxophone flourish at the end, classy.

Yeah, it's not bad at all though I far prefer Clarke's jazz / funk albums, Stanley is one of the most innovative and greatest bass players ever.

The man even reads and writes music wouldja believe? wink
  2. DemonStar wrote
    NP: Mulan - Jerry Goldsmith

I miss Jerry so much... cry sad

we all miss him, Mulan just shows it more shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2009 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Mulan - Jerry Goldsmith

I miss Jerry so much... cry sad

we all miss him, Mulan just shows it more shame

I've never understood this notion of missing a composer. Sure, I miss hearing new releases from Goldsmith, but I don't concern myself with it too much since there's a wealth of Goldsmith material out there as it is. He lives on in his music - an afterlife you can prove exists! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    Night Crossing (Jerry Goldsmith)

It's fantastic I discover little forgotten gems from time to time, scores I didn't give a chance or just forgot about. This is one of those early 80s Goldsmith in the style that I absolutely love... But I had to give it a few listens before it finally grabbed me... now the underscore is every bit as gripping as the glorious flying cues. I've never heard of the film and it sure must not have been a hit, but the score is here to stay. I love that Poltergeist style brass that plays around the percussion and strings.

Not to mention the military theme that opens the album (Capricorn One's close cousin).
    The beautiful 'family' theme.
    And the stunning orchestration in the final escape cue that reminds me of 'Vejur Flyover' (or is it 'Spock Walk'?) from Star Trek: The motion Picture.
    Must put it on again! cool
  3. NP: Cheri (Desplat) following Star Trek (Giacchino)

These are both solid. Cheri is definitely more my cup of tea - I may hear a better score this year, but frankly I'd be surprised if it was that much better.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Cheri (Desplat) following Star Trek (Giacchino)

These are both solid. Cheri is definitely more my cup of tea - I may hear a better score this year, but frankly I'd be surprised if it was that much better.

Indeed; Cheri is incredibly charming; you prefer it over Coco Chanel, Michael?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2009 edited
    KILLZONE 2 - Joris De Man

On the whole a very good action score, and also an awesome game score. While it utilities the orchestra well for a lot of the cutscene cues, it feels wildly inconsistent in a lot of the action music where it's been switched for MV sounding synths. And considering how good the real orchestra cues sound, it would be interesting to hear the whole score performed properly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Golden Compass - Alexandre Desplat

I for one like this score. I don't know how it plays in the movie but it's a very good listen on CD, especially the action and fantasy material.
  4. DemonStar wrote
    NP: Golden Compass - Alexandre Desplat

I for one like this score. I don't know how it plays in the movie but it's a very good listen on CD, especially the action and fantasy material.

I for one likes this score too. And I first heard it actually in the film, and thought it worked there quite nicely

The ending battle music especially
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I saw Golden Compass in theater and I didn't like the score. Or rather I should say the music was not what I expected from the books. I felt the score was a bit too... cute (especially Mrs Coulter's theme). But the movie missed an opportunity to be an awesome film, so I didn't much care about the score.

Pullman's original books remind me of Miyazaki films (European medieval-esque world where technology and magic exist together), so I expected epic orchestral score mixed with lots of synth (aka Hisaishi's Laputa or Nausicaa biggrin )

NP: Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind - Joe Hisaishi

Some of the synth sounds are a bit dated, but orchestral parts are amazing. A Battle Between Mehve And Corvette is a great action track! punk
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Ice Age 2: The Meltdown - John Powell

Powell + Animation = Excellent, fun score!! punkpunkpunk cool

Eagerly waiting for news about the third film's score. Hope Varese gets to release it again!
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Cheri (Desplat) following Star Trek (Giacchino)

Indeed; Cheri is incredibly charming; you prefer it over Coco Chanel, Michael?

I do. Both are good, but the many different forms of the themes in CHERI have won me over.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DARIO MARIANELLI - the soloist

Very odd score; don't know what to think or feel of it yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    What's it like? Anything like Howard Shore's Eastern Promises?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS - John Barry

I adore this score, only 28 minutes long but not one second outstays it's welcome from the gentle beauty of Mary's Theme to the evocative Journey To Scotland to the darkly dramatic Death At Kirkfields, and hey, it's even got bagpipes along the way cool

An undoubted 5 / 5
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Gave my first listen of Jerry Goldsmith's One Little Indian earlier on. It's very much in the same vein as Rio Conchos (and I mean very similiar), except lacking in the action a little and not as soaring a theme. That's not a bad thing, it's actually very a good western score positively dripping with Goldsmith's unique sound. Quite a light-hearted western score too, so it's a very pleasant listen throughout. Definitely worth adding to your collection if you're a fan or westerns and Goldsmith I'd say.

Anyway, now for the "real" thing:

Rio Conchos Jerry Goldsmith

My second favourite Goldsmith western theme after Take a Hard Ride. Bloody awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Little Women - Thomas Newman

Lovely.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote

No; it has a persistent raw cello which is slightly off tune in places and with a rather "loose" performance sometimes, which is deliberate i guess (to match the movie's specifics of the storyline and the central character's characteristics ) which is on top of almost everything; the latter being constantly changing in style, tempo and rhythm-large scale symphonic Beethoven wanna be music or small pieces in the form of cello-piano sonatas; strong themes are either absent or hard to find (as i am yet on my initial couple of listens) and as a listening experience on CD feels rather disjointed, somewhat dark and offbeat. Nothing like the brilliance of Atonement of the beauty of Pride and Prejudice for instance. Will see it if improves for me in the near future.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Gave my first listen of Jerry Goldsmith's One Little Indian earlier on. It's very much in the same vein as Rio Conchos (and I mean very similiar), except lacking in the action a little and not as soaring a theme. That's not a bad thing, it's actually very a good western score positively dripping with Goldsmith's unique sound. Quite a light-hearted western score too, so it's a very pleasant listen throughout. Definitely worth adding to your collection if you're a fan or westerns and Goldsmith I'd say.

Anyway, now for the "real" thing:

Rio Conchos Jerry Goldsmith

My second favourite Goldsmith western theme after Take a Hard Ride. Bloody awesome.

I agree with you on One Little Indian, it's not quite as good as I was lead to believe ( lots of gumpf over at FSM ) but I'm still glad I bought it, it'll certainly get future plays from me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote

No; it has a persistent raw cello which is slightly off tune in places and with a rather "loose" performance sometimes, which is deliberate i guess (to match the movie's specifics of the storyline and the central character's characteristics ) which is on top of everything; the latter being constantly changing in style, tempo and rhythm large-scale symphonic Beethoven-wanna be music or small pieces in the form of cello-piano sonatas; strong themes are either absent or hard to find (as i am yet on my initial couple of listens) and as a listening experience on CD feels rather disjointed, somewhat dark and offbeat. Nothing like the brilliance of Atonement of the beauty of Pride and Prejudice for instance. Will see it if improves for me in the near future.

Hmm.. doesn't sound like my kind of thing. Yet I will give it a listen and see what it's like anyway wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote

No; it has a persistent raw cello which is slightly off tune in places and with a rather "loose" performance sometimes, which is deliberate i guess (to match the movie's specifics of the storyline and the central character's characteristics ) which is on top of everything; the latter being constantly changing in style, tempo and rhythm large-scale symphonic Beethoven-wanna be music or small pieces in the form of cello-piano sonatas; strong themes are either absent or hard to find (as i am yet on my initial couple of listens) and as a listening experience on CD feels rather disjointed, somewhat dark and offbeat. Nothing like the brilliance of Atonement of the beauty of Pride and Prejudice for instance. Will see it if improves for me in the near future.

Hmm.. doesn't sound like my kind of thing. Yet I will give it a listen and see what it's like anyway wink

Oh; and forgot to mention some fragmented odd vocals here and there; it basically pales in comparison with the magnitude of the included parts from Beethoven (Eroica, Ninth Symphony) and the haunting Cello Suite No. 1 by J.S. Bach, but - to be fair, what other film music wouldn't?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Perhaps it's the type that works more well in movie rather on CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    Perhaps it's the type that works more well in movie rather on CD.

Well i wouldn't be surprised if you're absolutely right smile It really hints that very character, the whole thing; will watch it soon and find out i guess. But for someone like Marianelli who always concentrate on tight, closed and coherent pieces with bold melodies and themes, it feels rather like it was influenced by a third factor, like the director for instance. The Beethoven and Bach pieces contained throughout the score are a real bliss though, either on-screen or off-screen.