• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2009
    Eagerly anticipating... only 8 days left! lick
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry

The greatest Bond score ever written....FACT!" punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Brave call on the score. I see what you mean.

I understand many will at the very least prefer Elfman's theme over Goldenthal's (and I would probably agree), but the rest of the score just shines like few others. (A rare beauty you might say.)

Brave call on the score.
    You're weird.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Bolt (promo) - John Powell

Totally in love with this thing, my appreciation of the music has increased tenfold now that I've seen the film. This promo is IMO a perfect representation of the score and the quality is identical to the OST, crisp and crystal clear. I want to say that although the choices for the OST tracks was good, there was too much good stuff left out and the album editing was very bad (tracks' start and ending not smooth, cues like Scooter Chase chopped in between for no reason). Fast Train is one of the best action tracks by Powell ever, and the "reunion" music in Penny Rescue gives me chills everytime I listen to it.

It may not be the most intellectual or superior score of last year but it's such a good listen both on CD and onscreen and a perfect balance between action, fun and emotion that it is definitely my favourite score of 2008. Five stars.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Lost season 4

God, this score is HUGE.

Yet it's the quickest hour and twenty minutes of music I've probably ever heard. *Play*..and it's over. cry

Well, i can't say it's better than season 1 and 3 scores, but it has some "hightlights" worth to die for.

I think season 4 is the strongest by miles. I've written a big review of it, but I'm waiting for Bregt to come online so I can send it to him. Hint, hint.

*twiddles thumbs*
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MIGHTY JOE YOUNG - James Horner

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Quo Vadis - Miklos Rozsa

The more I listen to this music the more I love it. It is definitely among the composer's bests. The heartfelt melodies and the excellent parade music are really memorable. It is one of those scores where I'd love to hear a bit longer CD (40 minutes of music on the CD from the quite long movie)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I understand many will at the very least prefer Elfman's theme over Goldenthal's (and I would probably agree), but the rest of the score just shines like few others. (A rare beauty you might say.)

Brave call on the score.
    You're weird.

Yes. But also correct.
  1. NP: Fast & Furious -- Brian Tyler

On it's own, this is a fun score, on a Tyler level this is action music like he churned out dozens of times

I'm sorry but if this is the only he can churn out, it doesn't impress me anymore
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Brave call on the score.
    You're weird.

Yes. But also correct.

AND wrong.

Weird and wrong.
    At least you alliterate.
    Sort of.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Surely you mean 'At least you're alliterate'?

biggrin <-smug git
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    Surely you mean 'At least you're alliterate'?

biggrin <-smug git

I think he meant "alliterate" as in alliteration.

You're wrong though, since he's not saying "illiterate".
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hmm, that is true.

Oh well, I'm still right about the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ... I mean... you passed the test.... well done...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2009 edited
    In all seriousness, Goldenthal's score for Batman & Robin contains some very impressive compositions that far outshine anything written by Elfman, as good as his scores are.

I'd say Elfman created a better superhero score, but Goldenthal created a better score per se. In which case, I tread over my initial statement where I said Goldenthal's is the best Batman score. Perhaps it isn't. But I do think it's the best score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    In all seriousness, Goldenthal's score for Batman & Robin contains some very impressive compositions that far outshine anything written by Elfman, as good as his scores are.

I'd say Elfman created a better superhero score, but Goldenthal created a better score per se. In which case, I tread over my initial statement where I said Goldenthal's is the best Batman score. Perhaps it isn't. But I do think it's the best score.

Well, I agree! biggrin cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

Can't agree with you there. I'll take the Batman Theme and the brilliant finale over ANYTHING Goldenthal penned for the 3rd and 4th film no matter how good the fourth score is. I'll even add Descent into Mystery to the better than Goldenthal mix.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2009 edited
    I thought you might. Honestly, I wasn't expecting many to agree with me. I do think Elfman's scores are perfect for Burton's films, which is why they are rightly held in such high regard. Whereas Goldenthal's scores just over-accentuate the shear campness of Schumacher's crappy films. But as music within its own right, Goldenthal created some absolutely astounding music which I believe with every fibre of my being to be better than what Elfman produced. Very operatic, very Goldenthal.

(And [criminally] it suffers from a lack of a decent album presentation - there's another bloody reason not many are going to agree with me. sad)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Don't get me wrong, Steven, I LOVE Goldenthal's Batman scores. I'll be second in line to purchase a legit version of Batman and Robin when ever it is released. But I can't for the life of me put Goldenthal's work over Elfman's... even Batman Returns which is simply put some of the best music Elfman has ever written.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ^ What the Woodsman said.

+ a nod to lp for outsmugging the smughead. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pfft. Nothing can prevent me from feeling smug...
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep - James Newton Howard

Great score; tracks like The Jump are simply breathtaking. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009 edited
    NP:Lost season 4 (Giacchino)

Epic! Long and big cues!

I miss some of the textures and experimentation from the previous seasons, but yes...perhaps the most complete of all the scores!!!!

PS:"jill yeon" with season 1 theme mixed with Jin and Sun theme is brilliant!
  2. JILL Yeon? lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009
    Seriously, can we get a facepalm smiley in here!?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PETULIA - John Barry

Brilliant score and a long time favourite late listen for me cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    NP : MIGHTY JOE YOUNG - James Horner

cool

What a gorgous theme that movie has!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Event Horison (Kamen& Orbital)

Not a very succeseful fusion. Interesting thought.

Can anyone recomend me this kind of stuff, electronic music with orchestra? (another example is Red Planet). Not necesseraly from Sci Ficion movies.

Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I thought you might. Honestly, I wasn't expecting many to agree with me. I do think Elfman's scores are perfect for Burton's films, which is why they are rightly held in such high regard. Whereas Goldenthal's scores just over-accentuate the shear campness of Schumacher's crappy films. But as music within its own right, Goldenthal created some absolutely astounding music which I believe with every fibre of my being to be better than what Elfman produced. Very operatic, very Goldenthal.

(And [criminally] it suffers from a lack of a decent album presentation - there's another bloody reason not many are going to agree with me. sad)

Hey hey; Steven's quite right actually. You know why? 'Cause when it comes to modern film composers:

GOLDENTHAL here.

Everyone else starts from here.

Tyler Bates here.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. There is wisdom in that, and the wisdom is great.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am