• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Speed (Mark Mancina)

Played in film order for better listening experience. After hearing the main theme on the 'The Big Picture' compilation I wanted to hear the real uncensored version. smile I have always enjoyed this pulse pounding score, with one hell of an explosive theme that really sells the album for me, heard in full glory in 'The Rescue'. This was from the day MV / RC still released interesting and entertaining synth scores. I just prefer this thematic approach and it shows that not all film music is bad when performed by keyboards. Mancina sure knew how to keep the rhythm flowing and the themes bursting with energy.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Desplat -> This man's easily one of the boldest and most valuable men ever to pass through the film music medium.

Gooooooood LORD! shocked One of the most valuable men ever to pass through the film music medium?!

lol

-Erik-

That explains why he was bowelled over by his music. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2009
    NP: Titanic - James Horner

My first listen. cool
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: White Fang II - John Debney
    This was my first John Debney score. It made me a huge fan. And I still think its one of his best scores to this day.

And on a random side note, James Newton Howard made some lovely music for King Kong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2009 edited
    William wrote

My first listen. cool

I still remember my first time I put this on the stereo and falling totally in love with this score, nearly 12 years ago.

I miss those first listens, it's not the same anymore when you grow older. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    DreamTheater wrote
    William wrote

My first listen. cool

I still remember my first time I put this on the stereo and falling totally in love with this score, nearly 12 years ago.

I miss those first listens, it's not the same anymore when you grow older. sad

I still love it. Those last few tracks with the sad version of the love theme never fail to bring a tear to the eye shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Lonesome Dove - Basil Poledouris

I finished reading the novel not so long ago so naturally I had to give the CD a spin. What a great score it is! I love western scores but this one has a special sensitiveness in it. Beautiful and playful melodies, sweeping themes with some Americana, one of Poledouris' bests. By the way, the novel is also fantastic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Coco Chanel.

Quite interesting juxtaposition with the other simultaneous release by him, Cheri. The former is another very enjoyable experience down the well-known elegant and romantic paths of this composer armed with a couple of truly beautiful themes. Coco is not another such ride; it's unmistakable Desplat, no doubt about it, but the minimalistic traits and the more experimental and dark (in places) nature of it all amidst the trademarked sweepingly melodic romance (like "Royallieu" or "Coco & Boy" for instance) altogether do make up for a very interesting mix.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Just finished listening to COCO. What a beauty. It's a perfectly typical score from Desplat. Not exactly innovative, but full of things you don't hear much in modern film music.

NP: Star Trek (Michael Giacchino)

I quite like what he does with the Spock theme throughout. I still think the action music is a bit familiar, but the album doesn't exactly wear out its welcome.

I DO wish however that for one of the few through-composed end title sequences we're likely to hear this year, that the cue wasn't so stop-and-start. It feels like it quietens down every 90 seconds or so to do a quiet segue to a new section.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    I haven't listened to it yet actually.

*adds it to "must check out" list*

if you appreciate hearing a borrowed theme as main theme, you'll definitely enjoy it
    I would give it 4 if it wasn't for that theme

http://www.alanwilliams.com/ProjectPage … ss_pp.html

Check out the track "Sword Play"

-Erik-

yep, that's the one, there are of course much bolder statements of this theme

BTW, he rips on Broughton's Young Sherlock Holmes in that cue as well.

-Erik-

ahh man, this bites
    This is actually a very good score, but all this ripping just takes all the fun away
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Today is my special day so I'm allowed to do anything I want... including killing some bunnies.

NP: Circle Of Life from The Lion King
    - Music by Elton John, Lyrics by Tim Rice, Performed by Carmen Twillie,
    African vocal improvised and performed by Lebo M,
    Arranged by Hans Zimmer

Naaaaaaaaaaants ingonyama! Great song! Great singers! What an amazing arrangement!

It's no surprise that Zimmer's arrangement inspired the directors enough to change the opening dialogues into this musical-oriented sequence.

Elton John's songwriting itself is also great... but his version is boring. slant I hate the "uh-ha, ah-ha" background chorus.

And the lyrics is also great... my philosophy of life is based on it!

It's the Circle of Life
    And it moves us all, through despair and hope, through faith and love
    Till we find our place on the path unwinding
    In the Circle of Life

cool bunny
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Groaannnnnnn...I mean Happy *gnash* Birthday *croak*, Miya. Hope you enjoy *groan* you circle of life-day.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Hakuna Matata, Martijn biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    bunny

In fact, the Circle Of Life chorus is in the "About Me" section of my Facebook since the beginning, since that's my philosophy too. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR WARS : REVENGE OF THE SITH - John Williams

A great way to start my afternoon. punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    bunny

In fact, the Circle Of Life chorus is in the "About Me" section of my Facebook since the beginning, since that's my philosophy too. cool

I much prefer the RHYTHM OF LIFE biggrin cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote

lol

Dinosaurs! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    bunny

applause That's so funny! Thanks biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Today is massacre of bunnies day...

NP: Instrumental versions of The Lion King songs - Elton John, Lebo M, Hans Zimmer, Mark Mancina, Jay Rifkin

I love all these arrangements! Mancina's I Just Can't Wait To Be King is so fun, and fit well into Chris Sanders' unique production design. Zimmer's Be Prepared creates all the craziness and evilness of Scar's parade. African vocals in Can You Feel The Love Tonight give me goosebumps.

And I've forgotten to say... I adore the interlude of Circle Of Life. Though I don't know who wrote that part (Zimmer or Elton John?), Richard Harvey's panpipe performance is really beautiful and touching.

By the way, in the movie (DVD) this interlude sounds like synthesizer sound... Has anyone noticed? Or is it just me? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: LoTR: Fellowship Of The Ring (Complete) - Howard Shore

Anyone else thinks the Khazad Dum track on the original soundtrack is actually BETTER than this one? While it's nice to have the film version, IMO the one here is overlong and too much of the notes are repeated again and again. The OST version is trimmed in the right places and a better listening experience I think. Not that I don't like the film version! A terrific track anyway!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    By the way, in the movie (DVD) this interlude sounds like synthesizer sound... Has anyone noticed? Or is it just me? confused

It sounds a little different in the film, yeah. But quite a few cues are like that... for example in the beginning of the Stampede cue the gong strike is missing and timpani mix is louder.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    :sigh:
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I have to play (and pray) this before I go to bed tonight.

NP: The Lion King (Expanded Score bootleg) - Hans Zimmer

The Great Kings of the past, or Great Sprits of all who lived before, or all the spirits of nature, or Mother Nature, or Eight Million Gods of Japan, or Greek Gods & Goddess, or One True God, or whoever has power, PLEASE RELEASE THIS SCORE FULLY AND OFFICIALLY! cry

Ok, I finished my prayer today. I won't kill any more bunnies tomorrow.

Good night. Have a nice day everyone. wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    I have to play (and pray) this before I go to bed tonight.

NP: The Lion King (Expanded Score bootleg) - Hans Zimmer

The Great Kings of the past, or Great Sprits of all who lived before, or all the spirits of nature, or Mother Nature, or Eight Million Gods of Japan, or Greek Gods & Goddess, or One True God, or whoever has power, PLEASE RELEASE THIS SCORE FULLY AND OFFICIALLY! cry

Ok, I finished my prayer today. I won't kill any more bunnies tomorrow.

Good night. Have a nice day everyone. wave

I have faith in my heart God will help us find it one day. smile

Good night, Miya! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Mulan - Jerry Goldsmith

I miss Jerry so much... cry sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - John Williams

Bought this yesterday; this is my first time through it. I figured I couldn't go wrong with a JW score. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    William wrote
    NP: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - John Williams

Bought this yesterday; this is my first time through it. I figured I couldn't go wrong with a JW score. smile

It's my favourite HP score so far! All the new themes he developed here are great. Buckbeak's Flight and A Window To The Past are some of the most touching tracks by JW ever. And the Dementor music is seriously creepy!
  4. DemonStar wrote
    NP: LoTR: Fellowship Of The Ring (Complete) - Howard Shore

Anyone else thinks the Khazad Dum track on the original soundtrack is actually BETTER than this one?

I also think that it's more enjoyable than the film version - though that may be partly to do with the fact that I'm more familiar with the CD version.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    It's my favourite HP score so far!

Hewlett Packard makes scores now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The LOTR OSTs are all very well edited IMO.