• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009
    Except Goldenthal is about as active these days als Goldsmith.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Playing By Heart John Barry

An absolutely sumptuous score which makes for fantastic late night listening. Wonderful. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

This is true. sad

But he's scored/scoring that new Michael Mann film! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

Not too sure about this.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2009 edited
    I was playing :Coco Avant Chanel (Desplat)

Wow, Desplat is becoming the new Thomas Newman. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

NP:Heat (Goldenthal)

punk

Joker's theme in his earlier version tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

'You serious?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote

NP:Head (Goldenthal)

punk

Joker's theme in his earlier version tongue

You mean 'Heat'.
  1. Nautilus wrote

What? He's consistently good and inventive? wink

NP: Birth (Desplat)

Wow. Who am I kidding? This remains far and away his best score.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    franz_conrad wrote
    Nautilus wrote

NP: Birth (Desplat)

Wow. Who am I kidding? This remains far and away his best score.

Agree.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote

An absolutely sumptuous score which makes for fantastic late night listening. Wonderful. cool

It is! Gorgeous Barry tracks augmented by the exceptionally talented Chris Botti on trumpet and seamlessly melding Chet Baker's original tracks.

Apart from you, James and myself I never see anyone else mentioning this superb score? slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within Elliot Goldenthal

My hero.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote

My hero.

I need to check this one out!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    Steven wrote

My hero.

Most definitely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Steven wrote

My hero.

Most definitely.

One of the best scores ever composeds.

I like to think about it like a symphoni for the creation of the universe.

NP:Heat (Goldenthal)

Wow.....my second listen ever. COOL!

it'a a really kick ass score. I love the mixture of sounds.

Zimmer toke a lot of influences for his M:I2 and The Dark Knight scores, from here.
  2. Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote

It is! Gorgeous Barry tracks augmented by the exceptionally talented Chris Botti on trumpet and seamlessly melding Chet Baker's original tracks.

Apart from you, James and myself I never see anyone else mentioning this superb score? slant

I didn't even know it existed until it was mentioned earlier. shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Star Trek - Michael Giacchino

Random notes...

Probably the most simplistic theme in the entire Star Trek universe. Not sure if I like it. I don't know what to make of this score. I think I need to hear it in context. There is something missing. The album doesn't have a flow like the others. A few tracks that I do like are "Enterprising New Men" - "Nero Death Experience" and the unique sounds in "That New Cat Smell" The end credit suite is probably one of Giacchino's weakest. It's rather jumpy. Not sure about the newly arranged Courage/Roddenberry "Star Trek" theme. Would have loved to hear more of the Courage fanfare in the meat of the score.... but maybe Giacchino did and decided not to include those cue on the album. Dan Wallin's recording is one of his strongest Giacchino recordings. The instruments are a bit more spaced out than the usual pan everything to the centre muddy mess he usually provides. Still, his recording of the percussion leaves something to be desired. Very distant and not enough umph. The snares especially sound really, really weak.

I'm not sure where to rank this score since I haven't seen the film but I'd put it above The Voyage Home, Insurrection and Nemesis and just below Generations.

-Erik-

PS - Are there ANY cymbal crashes in this score?!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Star Trek - Michael Giacchino

Random notes...

Probably the most simplistic theme in the entire Star Trek universe. Not sure if I like it. I don't know what to make of this score. I think I need to hear it in context. There is something missing. The album doesn't have a flow like the others. A few tracks that I do like are "Enterprising New Men" - "Nero Death Experience" and unique, let your heart out "That New Cat Smell" The end credit suite is probably one of Giacchino's weakest. It's rather jumpy. Not sure about the newly arranged Courage/Roddenberry "Star Trek" theme. Would have loved to hear more of the Courage fanfare in the meat of the score.... but maybe Giacchino did and decided not to include those cue on the album. Dan Wallin's recording is one of his strongest Giacchino recordings. The instruments are a bit more spaced out than the usual pan everything to the centre muddy mess he usually provides. Still, his recording of the percussion leaves something to be desired. Very distant and not enough umph. The snares especially sound really, really weak.

I'm not sure where to rank this score since I haven't seen the film but I'd put it above The Voyage Home, Insurrection and Nemesis and just below Generations.

-Erik-

PS - Are there ANY cymbal crashes in this score?!

Pretty much agree with you here.

I do like the crystal effect in "star Trek" (Sadly is not used anymore), "nailin the Kelviln" with Nero's theme and Enterprise theme plus some electronic percusion is the best action track from the whole score; "Nero Sighted" with Nero's theme again is pretty cool until it fades in the middle of the track; "Nice to Meld you" builds some kind of tension wich remains me to some stuff from John Barry. Of course, "enterprising Young men" , " That New Car Smell " and "back from black" are the Highlights.

About the dramatic stuff, I find it "bland" in my first listen. But then "labor of love" you almost can feel the bird of Kirk and " hella bar talk" when kirk decide to join the starship fleet has some really sense of epic.

While the "end credits" is a little bit disjointed, it has so many powerful renditions that it's highly enjoyable.

My only complaintments (aside the short realease) is "nero death experience" and "Nero Fiddles, Narada Burns" even with the chorus, they lacks of epic. (but enjoyable, thought )

Said that, I was addicted to this score, and specially his main theme for 5 days. This is what counts...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    My only complaintments (aside the short realease) is "nero death experience" and "Nero Fiddles, Narada Burns" even with the chorus, they lacks of epic. (but enjoyable, thought )

Odd... because "Nero Death Experience" is about as epic as you are going to get on this album

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Angel - Rombi

[insert Demetris-style hyperbole here]

^^^ this score is worth it
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Cheri - Alexandre Desplat

Again, Desplat fails to capture my attention. Like always - clean, crisp orchestrations that are technically sound - but after the delightful open track it takes Desplat five more cues of orchestral noodling before he gets another extra base hit. "To Biarritz" is superb. But right after that track ends Desplat puts you back in a coma with "6 Years Later." I'm really tired of the airy strings, light bells, piano, and that Desplat electronic pulse sound. None of it resonates with me.

EDIT - Will say this though... if I'm looking for some relaxing film music that won't distract me then this is something I'll probably play.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote

smile punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote

2007's Best Score!!!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

2007's Best Score!!!

-Erik-

What?

I thought Transformers was your favorite 2007 score

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

2007's Best Score!!!

-Erik-

What?

I thought Transformers was your favorite 2007 score

wink

Ready? READY? Ok, here we go... vomit

wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    franz_conrad wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I have to agree with Jordi a bit. Desplat does do almost the same schtick everytime. But every time I hear something new, I instantly get a sense of "wait, did I hear this before somewhere?", which means to me that he's able to improved on his temp track influence well. All the waltzing gets tiring after a while, you know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I have to agree with Jordi a bit. Desplat does do almost the same schtick everytime. But every time I hear something new, I instantly get a sense of "wait, did I hear this before somewhere?", which means to me that he's able to improved on his temp track influence well. All the waltzing gets tiring after a while, you know.

I'd say that Desplat adds little tricks everytime in order to shift things around a bit; on the surface he might sound the same, but something like "Coco Chanel" is NOT Syriana for instance, or something "Cheri" is not "Birth", to say but a couple of examples; especially if you venture through his darker, smaller French films years and of course Firewall and Hostage as well.

But the point is "All the waltzing gets tiring after a while, you know." ; well what doesn't? Someone is tired of Zimmer, another of Powell's bag of tricks for the animated movies, someone else is tired of RC clones and another wants to hear more of those; someone is celebrating the latest Chris Young score, but another one wants him to reinvent himself and be fresh again; someone is driven crazy over last year's AFRIKA game, another calls it a John Williams' clone. Well it never stops; apart the fact that constantly writing music for ANY medium and at the same time being inventive each and every time is virtually impossible, people have their own specific tastes and no matter what, you'll always find someone objecting with something you like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    But the point is "All the waltzing gets tiring after a while, you know." ; well what doesn't? Someone is tired of Zimmer, another of Powell's bag of tricks for the animated movies, someone else is tired of RC clones and another wants to hear more of those; someone is celebrating the latest Chris Young score, but another one wants him to reinvent himself and be fresh again; someone is driven crazy over last year's AFRIKA game, another calls it a John Williams' clone. Well it never stops; apart the fact that constantly writing music for ANY medium and at the same time being inventive each and every time is virtually impossible, people have their own specific tastes and no matter what, you'll always find someone objecting with something you like.

Fact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Mars Attacks! - Danny Elfman

What a wonderful way for Burton and Elfman to rekindle their friendship. Classic Elfman shenanigans! The Herrmannesque opening titles are a stroke of genius! It's one of my all time favorite marches! Full orchestra, massive choir, patented Elfman synth effects, Theremin, an organ and TOM "FRICKIN" JONES!!!

punk

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote

I didn't even know it existed until it was mentioned earlier. shame

Probably because it gets lost in hundreds of postings on The Lion Kiiiiizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and Pirates of Thhheeeezzzzzzzzzzzz
    rolleyes

It's an exceptionally classy score Alan and I highly recommend it. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt