• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I can't recall anyone being interested enough in anything of mine that would make them to want to borrow it!

We're in the same boat Alan. I'm glad for this forum or no one would have an interest in what I listen to.
    Thomas wink
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009 edited
    Eric wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Conan The Barbarian - Basil Poledouris

The "Riders Of Doom" theme is one of the best ever! punk

A great score and one of my all time fav's !

punk I hope one day a more expanded version is released.

NP: Doctor Who Series 1 & 2 - Murray Gold

After rewatching series one this week, I felt the need to listen to the score again. I enjoy the other scores in this series more, but this is still a fantastic. I'm currently listening to the Madame de Pompadour cue. Anyone who has seen the show could tell you what a perfect match this music was for The Girl in the Fireplace episode. Also, the Westminister Bridge cue is highly addicting.
  1. The Mask of Zorro (James Horner)

A more consistently fun listen than its sequel, though 'Legend' has its moments too, but this is where all the themes were introduced and for that alone 'Mask' is better. And can it end better with the tremendously rousing finale, a classic ending piece that has excitement written all over it? He hasn't done better since this one. Hey I even love the cheesy love song. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    After that awesome piece of work I just had to listen to another good Horner.

An American Tail: Fievel Goes West (James Horner)

I prefer this over the first outing. Such a charming and exciting score for the animated tale of a mouse and his adventures (which I never saw). The score never fails to raise goosebumps with its intricate melodies, good-spirited songs and wonderfully constructed action cues. In my eyes it's the second best of his animation scores just after 'The Land Before Time'.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. seems a one-composer day for now.

James Horner - Flightplan

Meticulously intelligent score from Horner, something he isn't very renowned for. Good atonal ideas, great rhythm. Not easy score to ENJOY, but definitely one to APPRECIATE.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    WP: The Lion King (bootleg) - Hans Zimmer

WANT a good quality complete score release like a billion dollars. bunny

NP: Gladiator - Hans Zimmer

Despite the shortcomings like too much sampled brass and Mars influences, I find this to be one of Hans' very enjoyable and effective scores, with Am I Not Merciful? being a really powerful choral work.
  3. Live in Barcelona 1999 (Jerry Goldsmith)

Genius collection of classic themes. Some of the music I hear for the first time. Quality isn't the best but I'm not complaining, since these are stellar live performances.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    Live in Barcelona 1999 (Jerry Goldsmith)

Genius collection of classic themes. Some of the music I hear for the first time. Quality isn't the best but I'm not complaining, since these are stellar live performances.

stop listening to my CD's cheesy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. They're just here gathering dust, that's not the life a CD should have, is it?
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    They're just here gathering dust, that's not the life a CD should have, is it?

no that one doesn't deserve that fate, The Glimmer Man on the other hand rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : The Journey - Basil Poledouris

From the score ON DEADLY GROUND I'm just about to play this fantastic track again. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. NP: SKYRIDERS -- Lalo Schifrin

just like the review of Thomas indicates, some nice moments but overall underscore
  8. The Water Horse - James Newton Howard

Gorgeous, heart wrenching music, terrifically orchestrated. Howard at his best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    A Very Long Engagement by Angelo Badalamenti.

Sometimes I just love me a good and oppressive score! ****½ wink
  9. Did you know that Zimmer almost scored this one and even had talks with Jeunet about it?
  10. Jerry Goldsmith - Lonely are the Brave

For a review.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Did you know that Zimmer almost scored this one and even had talks with Jeunet about it?

Holy crap? What an odd choice.

I was listening to this score as well this week, and I still love it. What a beautiful one. I need to see that movie again, and see that scene with the light tower. Amazing.
    Kazoo
  11. Jeunet asked Zimmer personally to score it, actually. It was a scheduling conflict. The same happened with Sin City. Zimmer turned him down due to schedule, he asked Elfman, who told Rodriguez to score it himself. So he got joined by Debney and Revell.
  12. Bregt wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Did you know that Zimmer almost scored this one and even had talks with Jeunet about it?

Holy crap? What an odd choice.

It would explain why there's a moment or two that sounds like it was straight out of THE THIN RED LINE. (Which I assume is why Jeunet was talking to Zimmer about a war film.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  13. Saturn 3 (Elmer Bernstein)

The theme best heard in 'Training Hector' has haunted me since I saw this film way back when. So I was more than a little happy when they finally released this effective and intriguing sci-fi suspense score. I'm not in the slightest familiar with Bernstein's music but I like his harmonic and percussive writing, which this one features plenty of. Add in a menacing male choir and I will like it even more. While a slightly disjointed during the first half of the album, the second half is really the most interesting with more lovely thematic outbursts and addictive suspense music. And I love how the score ends during 'The Big Dive'. The inclusion in this album of the masterful Thaarna's theme from Heavy Metal is the icing on the cake.
  14. Volcano (Alan Silvestri)

A good one because of the very satisfying rhythmic action material. I listened to it a lot when it came out and the years after, now only rarely, but when I hear it again after all this time it sure sets my heart racing again. At just under 30 minutes there's not a minute wasted, and it's the perfect example short album presentations do work. I don't think a 70 minute album would be as entertaining. This is the Silvestri I like and wouldn't mind hearing a lot more of now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    Volcano (Alan Silvestri)

A good one because of the very satisfying rhythmic action material. I listened to it a lot when it came out and the years after, now only rarely, but when I hear it again after all this time it sure sets my heart racing again. At just under 30 minutes there's not a minute wasted, and it's the perfect example short album presentations do work. I don't think a 70 minute album would be as entertaining. This is the Silvestri I like and wouldn't mind hearing a lot more of now.

One of my favourites by him. I don't listen to the album that often, but I enjoy it whenever I do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DreamTheater wrote
    Volcano (Alan Silvestri)

A good one because of the very satisfying rhythmic action material.

Exactly. I purposely watch this movie for the sake of score. Unfortunately, score album wasn't released here. cry
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    VOLCANO

The film is a laugh out loud classic biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Saturn 3 (Elmer Bernstein)

The theme best heard in 'Training Hector' has haunted me since I saw this film way back when. So I was more than a little happy when they finally released this effective and intriguing sci-fi suspense score. I'm not in the slightest familiar with Bernstein's music but I like his harmonic and percussive writing, which this one features plenty of. Add in a menacing male choir and I will like it even more. While a slightly disjointed during the first half of the album, the second half is really the most interesting with more lovely thematic outbursts and addictive suspense music. And I love how the score ends during 'The Big Dive'. The inclusion in this album of the masterful Thaarna's theme from Heavy Metal is the icing on the cake.

I love this album though it's not always an easy listen.

Wasn't 'Taarna's theme' dropped from this film and later included in HEAVY METAL?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    VOLCANO

VOLCANO and DANTE´S PEAK -> they rival each other in the laugh out loud category.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think VOLCANO outdoes DANTE'S PEAK in the stupido stakes....but only just wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    I think VOLCANO outdoes DANTE'S PEAK in the stupido stakes....but only just wink

Oh, I dunno. Doesn't Dante's Peak have that scene with the dog? That was pretty hilarious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, but VOLCANO has a man melting feet up in lava.
  15. Timmer wrote

Wasn't 'Taarna's theme' dropped from this film and later included in HEAVY METAL?

It was, because Bernstein felt his theme didn't get the attention it deserved so he reused / improved it for Heavy Metal. Also the score for Saturn 3 was butchered in the movie like you wouldn't believe, according to the liner notes. But then you must know that already Tim. wink

Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    VOLCANO

VOLCANO and DANTE´S PEAK -> they rival each other in the laugh out loud category.

I don't know I always enjoy Dante's Peak just a little more, audio-visually it's astounding. Who cares if movies aren't realistic. I can totally enjoy them for the thrills they provide, flaws included.

But Volcano has the better score.